Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I read in the Duplin Times newspaper that the Mad Boar Restaurant, in Wallace, has opened up "The Vineyard Wine Shoppe". They feature 350 specially selected wines from around the world at extremely low prices. Also the shop will offer 80 crafted beers for purchase of single bottles. Also featured will be a selection of N.C. wines and beer. Some of you may be interested. For those of you who don't know where Duplin Co. and Wallace are, its right off 40, about 40 miles this side of Wilmington. The Mad Boar is a stones throw of 40.
Which exit?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2011, 7:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I read in the Duplin Times newspaper that the Mad Boar Restaurant, in Wallace, has opened up "The Vineyard Wine Shoppe". They feature 350 specially selected wines from around the world at extremely low prices. Also the shop will offer 80 crafted beers for purchase of single bottles. Also featured will be a selection of N.C. wines and beer. Some of you may be interested. For those of you who don't know where Duplin Co. and Wallace are, its right off 40, about 40 miles this side of Wilmington. The Mad Boar is a stones throw of 40.
I emailed DD about this place last month, it's not far from his Topsail place. Looking forward to his review of the store.
I was thinking the place you told me about was in Snead's Ferry :think: .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 10th, 2011, 8:24 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I emailed DD about this place last month, it's not far from his Topsail place. Looking forward to his review of the store.
I was thinking the place you told me about was in Snead's Ferry :think: .
Hellifiknow. Maybe this means you have two new options. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 10th, 2011, 8:39 pm

devildeac wrote:
Which exit?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 11th, 2011, 9:51 am

devildeac wrote:
Which exit?
I'm not sure of the exit # but the bill boards with the Mad Boar ads should say. It's also the same exit as Rivers Landing. I've eaten there before but only once. I liked the place.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2011, 9:52 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Which exit?
I'm not sure of the exit # but the bill boards with the Mad Boar ads should say. I've eaten there before but only once. I liked the place.
Might be worth a stop on the way to the coast for us some time. I believe the capt said #385.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2011, 10:08 am

Howl-Magic Hat

Same as before except this was a bottle and the prior was draft, IIRC. Worth a try to compare to other winter brews.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 11th, 2011, 10:11 am

devildeac wrote: I believe the capt said #385.
That would be correct, Sir.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2011, 10:24 am

Fade to Black-Left Hand Brewing

Another winner from this Colorado brewery. This year's edition is a smoked baltic porter. IDK what last year's was :tease: . Darn near stout characteristics with a dark, dark brown color and a medium sized, medium tan head. Kinda thick and chewy on the palate with a bit of resin but the prominent feature is the woody/smokiness in the nose and the tastes to match. Reminds me of a darker Aecht Schenklera Rauchbier or Rogue's old Smoke Ale. I'd guess the IBU to be 30 or 40 and the ABV to be about 7%. This was a fine brew to enjoy with CB&Burgers, TNTGrillz, $180K and antisnowgrl in Section 21 last PM to pair with Roof's highly compensated Tigers mauling and consuming the hideously attired roasted Ducklings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Paul's Winter Vacation-Duck Rabbit Brewing

A draft only specialty ale found yesterday at Tyler's before our attendance at Lion King. The menu said 6 varieties of hops and toffee malt were included in this extra version of their brown ale. It really tasted like a hybrid between an imperial IPA and brown ale as the hop bitterness was quite prominent with both citrus and pine accents but the moderately roasted malts, probably at least caramel and chocolate, lend the ale its medium brown color and toffee-like flavors. I'm going to guess about 70-80 IBU and the ABV is stated at 10% and the Reuben was a nice sandwich with it. If you get by Tyler's, have a pint before it's gone as it is a seasonal offering only and worth the $5.50 for the 16 ounce pour.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 12th, 2011, 8:26 pm

devildeac wrote:Paul's Winter Vacation-Duck Rabbit Brewing

A draft only specialty ale found yesterday at Tyler's before our attendance at Lion King. The menu said 6 varieties of hops and toffee malt were included in this extra version of their brown ale. It really tasted like a hybrid between an imperial IPA and brown ale as the hop bitterness was quite prominent with both citrus and pine accents but the moderately roasted malts, probably at least caramel and chocolate, lend the ale its medium brown color and toffee-like flavors. I'm going to guess about 70-80 IBU and the ABV is stated at 10% and the Reuben was a nice sandwich with it. If you get by Tyler's, have a pint before it's gone as it is a seasonal offering only and worth the $5.50 for the 16 ounce pour.
I hope you made last night "pint night" because the picture you sent me of the glass was worthy of smuggling out! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2011, 9:05 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Paul's Winter Vacation-Duck Rabbit Brewing

I hope you made last night "pint night" because the picture you sent me of the glass was worthy of smuggling out! :D
Thought about it but just couldn't do it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2011, 9:22 am

Ruh-roh, bluebeer is on line and there are no new beer posts except mine from yesterday regarding the Duck-Rabbit brew from Tuesday evening.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » January 13th, 2011, 2:10 pm

devildeac wrote:Ruh-roh, bluebeer is on line and there are no new beer posts except mine from yesterday regarding the Duck-Rabbit brew from Tuesday evening.
I've been slacking on trying some new beers though I did grab a few new ones today so reviews to follow...Yesterday, after shoveling out the 18 or so inches that we got, I rewarded myself with a 2 year old DFH Olde School..a bit more ABV than I typically drink in one setting but between the booze and fatigue and some post game depression, I sure slept soundly..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Hell or High Watermelon-21st Amendment Brewing

No kidding. That is really the name of this canned wheat brew that CB&Burgers picked up during his Blacksburg trip over Christmas. Pale yellow in color with a rather light body, and a clean, crisp pour with the tiniest hint of orange, which is fairly typical for wheat brews. The watermelon juice with which it is brewed appears on the palate midway through the first sip and imparts a very slight sourness to it. A strange brew indeed but I could find myself drinking another one of these with a fruit plate in the summer time before a sweet and sour chicken or scallop/shrimp meal. I'd guess the IBU to be about 10 and the ABV is 4.9% so I'll follow this with a few sips of Alpha Dog just before bedtime.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Mild Winter-Goose Island

Ah, finally into the supply Lavabe delivered just before Christmas. Actually, I had a Burning River Pale Ale one night last week but reviewed that about 7 months ago, didn't think it to be much different and didn't need to pad my post count 8-} .

Back to the Gooser. This was about as expected, pouring a medium to dark brown with mild flavors of dark caramel, milk chocolate and dark fruits. Good for a night cap or with some chocolate covered nuts/raisins or some blondies for dessert. IBU and ABV should be in the brewer's notes as follows:

Style: American Mild Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6%
International Bitterness Units: 28
Color: Toffee
Hops: Willamette, Tettnang
Malts: 2-Row, Carapils, Dark Chocolate, Roast Barley, Rye Flake
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Alpha Dog-Laughing Dog Brewing

New brewery and brew and a pungent one, too. CB&B found this in Blacksburg and it was part of a bomber trading session. This one has a ton of piney hops clocking in at a searing 127 IBU (no typo). It's no wonder that last night, after I finished the 3rd night of the bottle, Mrs. DD remarked that I smelled like a conifer on my way down the hall. The color is golden and cloudy, the head is foamy and lingers and the ABV is a bit thin for an IIPA at 8%, allowing the hop blast to dominate the palate. Indian food or a peppery salsa topping some grilled tuna or mahi would make a nice combo. Wouldn't hesitate buying/receiving one of these again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Eliot Ness Amber Lager-Great Lakes

Pretty standard stuff here with a hint of floral hops, a bready/toasty palate and a light brown color with a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is a bit surprising at 6.2%. Gimme some grilled chicken, a burger or a steak with this brew and a crowd at Brunchgate and I'll be a happy fan. This was a host gift from Lavabe as they visited over the Christmas holiday. :clap:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2011, 10:07 am

Sexual Chocolate is scheduled to be released 1/29/11. Bottles to be sold at the brewery only. Rumor has it Raleigh Times, Mellow Mushroom and The Pit in Raleigh will get kegs.

:think: :-w
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Hemp, Hop and Rye-O'Fallon Brewing

I think I am on my own completely with this never before heard of ale. Looks, smells and tastes like an amber with the obvious added from its name. The hemp gives it an herbal taste and nose and the rye imparts just a bit of cherry and mustiness to its character. It is a light to medium brown hue with a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV about 5%. It would be a nice Brunchgate brew with deli sandwiches, burgers or brisket and a fine one to enjoy during a tasting. Thanks to Lavabe for bringing this over Christmas. :clap: