Duke vs f$u

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Duke vs f$u

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2011, 9:43 am

Here's some drivel I posted OY a couple weeks ago:

Your Honor (to no one in particular) and ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am here to present the case for the F$U Seminoles as the team most likely to finsih 2nd in the ACC this year in MBB.

General thoughts-This is a fairly experienced team with 6 upperclassmen seeing > 10 MPG so far. I think some of that will change a bit as the league games start rolling. They are "long" at most positions with five guys 6'8" or taller playing regularly, though the prognosis of Gibson with his hand injury is questionable. Kitchen, Dulkys and Snaer form a tall backcourt. They obviously do not have instant offense Douglas anymore or the enormous Alabi either but Hamilton is an experienced coach who has his team playing defense.

Some stats:

F$U fg%-44 vs foes 34
F$U 3fg-34% vs foes 27% (are you kidding me?)
F$U +8 rebounding margin
F$U +13 PPG avg. scoring margin at 73 PPG vs their opponents at 60 PPG.
Their TO and their opponents are about a wash.
They have 2 guys each averaging about 2 blocks/game.

Quality wins: Clemson by 6 at home (I guess the Tiggers count, even though no one wanted them in this project); Hawaii by 8 in Hawaii; Baylor by 8 last week in Hawaii.
Quality losses: Florida by 4 at home; tOSU by 14 at home (they held the current #2 team in the nation to 58 points!); Butler by 3 in Hawaii.
Bad losses: none so far

Schedule: favorable. I'll go out on a limb and say they will win out at home beating NCSU, BC, Weak Forest, Clemson (played already), UVA, unc, Miami and upsetting us as they have several times in the past when we were highly ranked (and yes, I have seen some really badly officiated games down there when we played them). I think they'll beat WFU and GT away as those 2 teams are just bad. I think they'll go down at VT, Miami, Clemson, unc, Murland and NCSU. I could be convinced to swap a Duke victory there for an F$U win at VT considering how decimated the Chokies are with injuries. I think they'll finish 10-6 which will be good enough for 2nd place in the final standings. I'd bet a tie with unc as the 'holes just have too much talent (and STILL play most, if not all their games 8 on 5) in such a weak league this year to have much worse than a 10-6 log.

Conclusion: These guys will ugly their way to a fair # of wins this year with what looks like a pretty rugged D. Currently they are Pomeroy #33 which is 4th in the ACC and not far behind the Terps and unc. They are Sagarin #43 which is also 4th behind BC and unc. Both those #s are fairly consistent over the last few weeks also and their performance in Hawaii makes me just a bit worried about them this year.

Thank you for your time and attention. I rest my case.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Duke vs f$u

Post by Jesus_hurley » January 11th, 2011, 11:23 am

Was this before or after the losses @Auburn and @VT where they scored 60 and 59 points respectively? :D

:9f: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Was this before or after the losses @Auburn and @VT where they scored 60 and 59 points respectively? :D

Before.

After those two screw-ups, I asked to have my review deleted :ymblushing: :(( :)) =)) .
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 11th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Dern 'Noles hater. 8-|
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 11th, 2011, 3:29 pm

We all know Duke plays M2M defense almost exclusively. However, after watching VT shut the Seminoles down with an active 2-3 zone, I have to wonder if we will see some Orange tomorrow night. FSU could not buy a bucket and VT finished the first half on a 10-0 or 12-0 run after switching from M2M to the 2-3. Prior to the switch, FSU was scoring off of offensive rebounds.

Games in Tallahassee are always tough but I cannot see how FSU will score enough points to win. They are incompetent on offense and we need to focus on exploiting this weakness. This game might be a low scoring ugly affair but I'm confident Duke will prevail.
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » January 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm

devildeac wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:Was this before or after the losses @Auburn and @VT where they scored 60 and 59 points respectively? :D

Before.

After those two screw-ups, I asked to have my review deleted :ymblushing: :(( :)) =)) .
Nah, give it two aspirins and have it call you in the morning. @-) =)) :)) :-o :((
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2011, 11:17 pm

indoor66 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Before.

Nah, give it two aspirins and have it call you in the morning. @-) =)) :)) :-o :((
Hey, you watch it or I'll send you some Lipitor/Crestor or Vytorin and feed you some more eggs and bacon ;) :D .
indoor66

Post by indoor66 » January 12th, 2011, 7:49 am

indoor66 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Before.

Hey, you watch it or I'll send you some Lipitor/Crestor or Vytorin and feed you some more eggs and bacon ;) :D .[/quote]

Bring it on, big boy. :(( :)) =)) :ymdevil: 8-} :ymparty: :happy-bouncyblue:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » January 12th, 2011, 7:45 pm

mmmmmm, bacon....
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 12th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Lets Go Duke!!! We need to step it up and get into the game. its 38 29 fsu
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 13th, 2011, 12:39 am

Poop.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 13th, 2011, 4:13 am

Well, now we (and that's the generic "we", not you guys specifically) can stop this ridiculous talk about an undefeated season and refocus on the important goals...winning the ACC regular season, the ACCT, and the national championship. I've said all along that that'll be a tall order w/o Irving with Scheyer and company gone, but I'm still optimistic that he'll be back by the second Carolina game. I've also been telling my friends that this was the game that worried me the most in the ACC regular season (not saying we couldn't lose others, but this one was the scariest).

Next play.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 13th, 2011, 8:03 am

Thanks, FSU, for pointing out with emphasis to the Plumless what their team mates need from them. This isn't an ice cream social. What really worries me is the fact that Coach didn't really get upset about the inside play and never once gave them an earful that I could see. That suggests to me he thinks they are doing the best they can. :-s
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2011, 9:04 am

devildeac wrote:Here's some drivel I posted OY a couple weeks ago:

Your Honor (to no one in particular) and ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am here to present the case for the F$U Seminoles as the team most likely to finsih 2nd in the ACC this year in MBB.

General thoughts-This is a fairly experienced team with 6 upperclassmen seeing > 10 MPG so far. I think some of that will change a bit as the league games start rolling. They are "long" at most positions with five guys 6'8" or taller playing regularly, though the prognosis of Gibson with his hand injury is questionable. Kitchen, Dulkys and Snaer form a tall backcourt. They obviously do not have instant offense Douglas anymore or the enormous Alabi either but Hamilton is an experienced coach who has his team playing defense.

Some stats:

F$U fg%-44 vs foes 34
F$U 3fg-34% vs foes 27% (are you kidding me?)
F$U +8 rebounding margin
F$U +13 PPG avg. scoring margin at 73 PPG vs their opponents at 60 PPG.
Their TO and their opponents are about a wash.
They have 2 guys each averaging about 2 blocks/game.

Quality wins: Clemson by 6 at home (I guess the Tiggers count, even though no one wanted them in this project); Hawaii by 8 in Hawaii; Baylor by 8 last week in Hawaii.
Quality losses: Florida by 4 at home; tOSU by 14 at home (they held the current #2 team in the nation to 58 points!); Butler by 3 in Hawaii.
Bad losses: none so far

Schedule: favorable. I'll go out on a limb and say they will win out at home beating NCSU, BC, Weak Forest, Clemson (played already), UVA, unc, Miami and upsetting us as they have several times in the past when we were highly ranked (and yes, I have seen some really badly officiated games down there when we played them). I think they'll beat WFU and GT away as those 2 teams are just bad. I think they'll go down at VT, Miami, Clemson, unc, Murland and NCSU. I could be convinced to swap a Duke victory there for an F$U win at VT considering how decimated the Chokies are with injuries. I think they'll finish 10-6 which will be good enough for 2nd place in the final standings. I'd bet a tie with unc as the 'holes just have too much talent (and STILL play most, if not all their games 8 on 5) in such a weak league this year to have much worse than a 10-6 log.

Conclusion: These guys will ugly their way to a fair # of wins this year with what looks like a pretty rugged D. Currently they are Pomeroy #33 which is 4th in the ACC and not far behind the Terps and unc. They are Sagarin #43 which is also 4th behind BC and unc. Both those #s are fairly consistent over the last few weeks also and their performance in Hawaii makes me just a bit worried about them this year.

Thank you for your time and attention. I rest my case.
Man, this guys's not bad...

And humble, too...

8-| :ymblushing:

Watch them $hit the bed now against someone like Auburn or the Chokies.

Oh, wait a minute, they already did.

Wait 'til they do it at home against someone like NCSU or the 'holes.

The most disturbing thing to me about the L last PM is that unc-G scored more points vs the 'noles than we did. @-)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 13th, 2011, 11:11 am

The inside game was almost ineffective last night. Need games from the Plumlees..... they have given it in the past, but rarely. Mason needs to deliver consistently, like the game vs Marquette. Kyle's shooting was in a funk in the first half. Had Kyle not been in a funk the first half, and the MP1 and MP2 got the rebounds and put backs for the easy 2, Duke would win.

The way FSU played and defended, its amazing, we didnt go down by 15 20points. Our 3 point shooting was effective, but we need the inside game also.

Jon was on the front row. And did you see Kyrie on the bench, yelling and coaching. I know that kid, wants in the game, so bad.... Lord, please please heal his toe, foot, and whole mind and body. Kyrie, has worked his whole life, to get to this point, and is an outstanding student and basketball player, and young man. Its one thing, if you are NBA player and get injured, you are still getting paid..... And another to be a college player, and having to sit on the bench, and watch, as you heal from your injuries, and wonder if you will ever be the same. That alone, would have to play on your mental health and psyche!

FSU flat out, out played Duke. I didnt see any dirty play, or bad calls. FSU is a very athletic and physical team. Leonard's teams are like that. Good win for the Noles. And a Win, that will help their resume, and getting to NCAA dance.

With that said, NEXT GAME!!!! NEXT PLAY!!! LETS GO DUKE!!!!!! Girls play Friday night at Fsu!! Go Ladies!!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 14th, 2011, 9:08 am

I will break it down to this. For the last several games, Duke field goal shooting has been erratic, at best, atrocious at worst. This also includes shot choices. These things do tend to be cyclic in nature. Let's all hope this is the bottom of the cycle. On the other hand, offensive floor play...there is NO cyclic nature to having one's head up one's own ass. This team needs to get down to the understanding of the basics that has gotten them to where they were to begin with. Their play, on offense, has altered.

My predictions of thinking this bunch could go through undefeated relied, and was mentioned, on the good health of the players. I still believe that, though it now can never be proven. :ymsmug: Oh well....NEXT PLAY.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 15th, 2011, 7:33 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Our 3 point shooting was effective, but we need the inside game also.
I agree with your main point that the Devils need an inside presence to succeed this year, but our 3 point shooting was NOT effective last night:

1st Half
4/17= 23.5%
2nd Half
7/18= 38.9%
Game
11/35=31.4%

Andre Dawkins, in particular, had a dismal night. He'd been shooting at a 51% clip for the year, then went 1/8 last night. If the guys had shot anywhere near their average of 43% (that would make them 15/35, 42%), Duke wins, all else being equal. Yes, Nolan kept us in the game at the end with a couple buckets, but saying our three point shooting was effective last night just can't be supported.

You're 100% correct that Duke DESPERATELY needs an inside presence to take the pressure off the outside game. You just didn't go far enough. The inside game wasn't "almost ineffective". It was completely and totally ineffective. It was the opposite of effective. It HURT the team. The shooting inside the arc was abysmal:

8/26=30.7%, or worse than the outside shooting

The big guys, Kelly and the Plumlees, went 1/5 inside the arc, or 20%, and were even worse than the team average from short range. Taking their stats out of the inside shooting leaves 7/21, or 33.3% for the rest of the team, which makes it a little better than the outside shooting, but still well under the team's average of over 52%.

Duke was 12/16=75% from the charity stripe, the ONLY place the guys were up to snuff last night. No one played anywhere near their potential, or their averages, last night. Nolan shot 2% over his average from outside the arc, thanks to going 2/3 at the end out of desperation. He was 1/4 before that. He was 14% under his average for total shooting. Kyle shot 37.5% total, and 45% from outside. So, he shot a little better than his average from outside, but well under his total shooting average.

I think FSU deserves a lot of credit for their defense, but our guys were just off last night too. Hopefully, the guys can learn from this and shake it off.

Next play.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 15th, 2011, 7:50 am

Of course, scoring is not the only thing to an inside game. Rebounding is important too. Mason had 14 in 32 minutes, but Miles only had 1 in 6 minutes and Kelly had 4 in 15 minutes. They only had 19 of our 38 rebounds, or about half. Assists are important too, as they can draw the defense and give open shots to others, but the big guys only had 2 assists to 3 turnovers for the game. Defense is key as well, but they only had 2 blocks to 10 fouls. Mason's averaging over 2 blocks per game, but had only 1 last night. The inside game was woeful all around that night.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...