Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 6th, 2011, 3:47 pm

devildeac wrote:Little Sumpin' Wild-Lagunitas Brewing

I am not a big Lagunitas fan and have not had many of their brews but this was the brewery/keg for pint glass night at Tyler's last PM so Ozzie and I were the tasters in our group. Buy the pint, keep the glass. Best described/categorized as an IIPA, this was a yellow-orange pour with a smallish head and a prominent citrus nose, specifically, mostly grapefruit, but perhaps a bit of orange from the wheat malt used in the brew. Massively hoppy and medium caramel malty sweetness kept the warring factions of the high IBU (guessing about 80-90) and the high ABV (8.8% on Tyler's menu and 7.8% on the brewery web site) at peace during the sampling. This made a very tasty chicken cordon bleu sammich even more enjoyable with a tangy dijonaisse sauce. Of course, the company was might fine, too, as was the dismantling of UAB over the next couple hours :D :duke: .
We both enjoyed our brews, and the grapefruit aftertaste was pronounced but pleasant, as long as you like grapefruit, which I do. The pint glass from the brewery it was served in was a disappointment though, as it looked like the mason jar my mother in law would do her summer vegetable canning in, only smaller. DD speculated that the "pint" only held 12 ounces and not 16. Somehow, we both managed to forget our glassware and leave it on the table when we left the restaurant. Disappointing, but not that much.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Little Sumpin' Wild-Lagunitas Brewing

I am not a big Lagunitas fan and have not had many of their brews but this was the brewery/keg for pint glass night at Tyler's last PM so Ozzie and I were the tasters in our group. Buy the pint, keep the glass. Best described/categorized as an IIPA, this was a yellow-orange pour with a smallish head and a prominent citrus nose, specifically, mostly grapefruit, but perhaps a bit of orange from the wheat malt used in the brew. Massively hoppy and medium caramel malty sweetness kept the warring factions of the high IBU (guessing about 80-90) and the high ABV (8.8% on Tyler's menu and 7.8% on the brewery web site) at peace during the sampling. This made a very tasty chicken cordon bleu sammich even more enjoyable with a tangy dijonaisse sauce. Of course, the company was might fine, too, as was the dismantling of UAB over the next couple hours :D :duke: .
We both enjoyed our brews, and the grapefruit aftertaste was pronounced but pleasant, as long as you like grapefruit, which I do. The pint glass from the brewery it was served in was a disappointment though, as it looked like the mason jar my mother in law would do her summer vegetable canning in, only smaller. DD speculated that the "pint" only held 12 ounces and not 16. Somehow, we both managed to forget our glassware and leave it on the table when we left the restaurant. Disappointing, but not that much.
CRS developing in both us old geezers.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Oxymoron-Left Hand/Terrapin Brewing

A collaboration (not litigation :D ) brew. Just a bit unusual, but not unexpected, especially when the Terrapin Brewing folks are involved. 6 hop varieties and 3 malts and a lager yeast. WTH? Makes for an interesting final product with an orange-yellow color, a mildly foamy head, flowers on the nose and pine and a hint of citrus on the palate. I sipped about 7 ounces of this the last 3 nights with other brews reviewed the last 3 days, too, and, with a wine stopper, it was OK, even the 3rd night. IBU are 65 and the ABV is 7.2% and they call it an American IPA, which I think, is a fairly apt description. Certainly worth a bomber to share/trade or sip on yourself with some seafood paella like I had tonight or curry. CB&B also has one of these so let's see if he samples his this weekend and shares his thoughts. :whistle: :-w
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 7th, 2011, 6:00 pm

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/brewery/marzen.html

Strong Hopheads may be disappointed...but I'm not. ;)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 7th, 2011, 7:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a DD trade, but if not, he outta try it.
Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot. A good barley wine, one I've actually been able to hold onto for a while, since I'm not positive where it came from. I'm thinking he gave it to me at spring brunchgate.
Anyways, nice color, a light amber hue, low head as expected. Alchohol rich, but well balanced by the malts, good and raisanish. A nice bite to the finish, the flavor lingers a bit, which encourages a slow enjoyment. IF it is a brunchgate trade, I picked a good time to open it. I'm finishing my 2cnd spring game painting tonight, and chose this brew for the homestretch touches. Lots of body to it, if feels thick and is pretty sweet, which aludes to the raisany frutiness. Good stuff, potently brewed in Pa. 11.1% ABV. A little dab will do ya!

p.s. If raisany wasn't a word, it is now.
I believe in raisany.
Right now, I find myself in a state of blither. The idiot part was settled long ago. @-)
Tasty with a hot dog.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 7th, 2011, 11:48 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B-ya gotta find some of this stuff on your next trip to Blacksburg:

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/monks-blood

Check out the special ingredients. =p~
Tried some of this last year and it was a pretty nice Belgian strong dark..I haven't seen any of it this year though I did pick up some of the fireside chat (winter warmer) that they put out..I'll have to look for live free or die..
Fireside Chat-21st Amendment Brewing

Beat ya to it, bluebeer :tease: .

This is a mahogany-hued complex winter ale with a ton of malts (I think I counted 6 on the website but you can count for yourself below :D ) and a very mild hop bite. Rich, foamy head topping a brew modestly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice (all guesses here, folks). The ingredient I would not have guessed is the cocoa nibs as the darker malts lend the chocolate-y tastes to the ale. This is tasty by itself but would also pair nicely with a spiced bread/cake, oatmeal raisin cookies or lighter chocolate desserts. The IBU are 45 and the ABV is 7.9% so I'm gonna have a snifter of something else before my post in the "Good Night" thread =p~ .

Note: this is a canned brew and is brewed in Cold Spring, Minnesota.

Here are the brewer's stats/musings:

Like FDR's Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 8th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Organic IPA-Butte Creek Brewing

New brew and brewery, compliments of CB&B. Somewhat different than expected with a slightly cloudy orange-amber color and a modest 1-2 finger head. Aromas and tastes of spruce/pine and mild caramel malt overtones. There is even a slight mustiness to the taste but no rye, AFAIK. I'd guess the IBU about 50 and the ABV is listed at 6.4%, just low enough so I can sip on part of a Bourbon Barrel Below Decks for the remainder of the evening :D =p~ . I'd certainly drink another Butte Creek product (they have 4) and the IPA would be fine with anything with a BBQ flavor or more flavorful fish. Thank you for the opportunity to sample this.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 8th, 2011, 10:47 pm

I was gonna finish my bomber of Bourbon Barrel Below Decks tonight but my brain and fingers are telling me differently.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 8:22 am

Great stuff. I'll let these guys handle the descriptions...
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/131
I'll just provide the telling that I DO intend to get many more of these.
:text-givemebeer: :beer: :beer: :text-thankyouyellow:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 9th, 2011, 11:41 am

DD...
THIS is the brewery that now sells its stuff here in the Land of the Lost:
http://www.napasmithbrewery.com/home.html
Any word about them?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Lavabe wrote:DD...
Any word about them?
Buy a mixed 6er and you tell us. Never heard of them.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » January 10th, 2011, 9:22 am

Lavabe wrote:DD...
Any word about them?
I think I've seen a few bombers of their stuff up here in MA recently too..would be interested in any reviews as I've held off buying so far...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 10th, 2011, 9:25 am

captmojo wrote:Great stuff. I'll let these guys handle the descriptions...
It's been awhile since I've had one of these but this is clearly the class of the dopplebocks..great beer.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 10th, 2011, 9:35 am

devildeac wrote:I was gonna finish my bomber of Bourbon Barrel Below Decks tonight but my brain and fingers are telling me differently.
How was the bourbon below decks? I've only seen the regular up here :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:I was gonna finish my bomber of Bourbon Barrel Below Decks tonight but my brain and fingers are telling me differently.
Glad you askied. Finished it last PM, so:

Bourbon Barrel Below Decks-Clipper City

Awesome. I sipped about 1/3 of the bomber each of the last 3 nights and it made a wonderful night cap each evening. The vanilla, oak and whiskey notes from the aging imparted a very smooth taste/texture to the typical barleywine hoppiness. I'd guess the IBU to be 70-80 as expected for the style but there is a ton of maltiness/sweetness, giving it an ABV of 10%. The bourbon is not overpowering and this was just fine without any foods. I think this is the 1st bourbon barrel barleywine I have had and would certainly buy this again at $8 for the bomber and try other brewers' attempts with the process. In fact, this is better than most of the winter brews I have had this year and for several years. The Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is also very near the top of that list, too :D . I'm waiting for CB&B's thoughts also as he got a bomber 2-3 months ago. :-w :whistle:
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 10th, 2011, 1:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:
Glad you askied. Finished it last PM, so:

Bourbon Barrel Below Decks-Clipper City

Awesome. I sipped about 1/3 of the bomber each of the last 3 nights and it made a wonderful night cap each evening. The vanilla, oak and whiskey notes from the aging imparted a very smooth taste/texture to the typical barleywine hoppiness. I'd guess the IBU to be 70-80 as expected for the style but there is a ton of maltiness/sweetness, giving it an ABV of 10%. The bourbon is not overpowering and this was just fine without any foods. I think this is the 1st bourbon barrel barleywine I have had and would certainly buy this again at $8 for the bomber and try other brewers' attempts with the process. In fact, this is better than most of the winter brews I have had this year and for several years. The Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is also very near the top of that list, too :D . I'm waiting for CB&B's thoughts also as he got a bomber 2-3 months ago. :-w :whistle:
Now that sounds like a beer that I have to try :drool: :D Especially at $8 for a bomber. It's surprising that there aren't more bourbon barrel aged barleywines given the popularity of the stouts right now. North Coast has a bourbon barrel version of Old Stock out right now in a beautiful corked bottle but it's $25 for 500ml which is way way more than I am willing to pay...A local brewery up here (Mayflower) made one last year that was excellent and very reasonably priced. I still have a few bottles in my cellar..
Speaking of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, the best Xmas present that I received this year was a bottle of the Vanilla Bourbon County Stout..Now I need a special occasion to open it up...
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 10th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I read in the Duplin Times newspaper that the Mad Boar Restaurant, in Wallace, has opened up "The Vineyard Wine Shoppe". They feature 350 specially selected wines from around the world at extremely low prices. Also the shop will offer 80 crafted beers for purchase of single bottles. Also featured will be a selection of N.C. wines and beer. Some of you may be interested. For those of you who don't know where Duplin Co. and Wallace are, its right off 40, about 40 miles this side of Wilmington. The Mad Boar is a stones throw of 40.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 10th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I read in the Duplin Times newspaper that the Mad Boar Restaurant, in Wallace, has opened up "The Vineyard Wine Shoppe". They feature 350 specially selected wines from around the world at extremely low prices. Also the shop will offer 80 crafted beers for purchase of single bottles. Also featured will be a selection of N.C. wines and beer. Some of you may be interested. For those of you who don't know where Duplin Co. and Wallace are, its right off 40, about 40 miles this side of Wilmington. The Mad Boar is a stones throw of 40.
I emailed DD about this place last month, it's not far from his Topsail place. Looking forward to his review of the store.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 10th, 2011, 4:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I read in the Duplin Times newspaper that the Mad Boar Restaurant, in Wallace, has opened up "The Vineyard Wine Shoppe". They feature 350 specially selected wines from around the world at extremely low prices. Also the shop will offer 80 crafted beers for purchase of single bottles. Also featured will be a selection of N.C. wines and beer. Some of you may be interested. For those of you who don't know where Duplin Co. and Wallace are, its right off 40, about 40 miles this side of Wilmington. The Mad Boar is a stones throw of 40.
I emailed DD about this place last month, it's not far from his Topsail place. Looking forward to his review of the store.
It's only 20 mi. from my house. I want to go see the next time I'm in K'ville.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 10th, 2011, 6:06 pm

bluebeer wrote:
captmojo wrote:Great stuff. I'll let these guys handle the descriptions...
It's been awhile since I've had one of these but this is clearly the class of the dopplebocks..great beer.
I took the chance this afternoon to stop and get more.