Duke vs. Miami

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Duke vs. Miami

Post by duketaylor » December 30th, 2010, 11:06 am

Is there any tailgate planned? I'll host one in the Gold lot if not. Will plan on being there by 6:15 or so. Ozzie, I'll call you about BBQ if you're gonna be present. May have a special guest stop by;)

9F9F9F9F9F!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke vs. Miami

Post by devildeac » December 30th, 2010, 12:03 pm

duketaylor wrote:Is there any tailgate planned? I'll host one in the Gold lot if not. Will plan on being there by 6:15 or so. Ozzie, I'll call you about BBQ if you're gonna be present. May have a special guest stop by;)

9F9F9F9F9F!!!
Count me out. Would love to stop by but I am on call for the weekend and confined to the city/county limits.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 30th, 2010, 2:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
duketaylor wrote:Is there any tailgate planned? I'll host one in the Gold lot if not. Will plan on being there by 6:15 or so. Ozzie, I'll call you about BBQ if you're gonna be present. May have a special guest stop by;)

9F9F9F9F9F!!!
Count me out. Would love to stop by but I am on call for the weekend and confined to the city/county limits.
Thanks to DD's being on call, I'll be at the game sitting next to Ozzie. Not sure what our pregame plans are yet. DukePA will be at the game as well...tooting her own horn (or flute) in the band. :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by duketaylor » December 30th, 2010, 7:42 pm

I do have the desired instruments to offer a tailgate in said parking lot. Ozzie, will it be a problem to get 'cue Sunday before making your trek to CIS? Can't remember if they're open on Sundays. I shouldn't have any problem (this time) getting there at a prescribed hour/time. I'll be bringing two/three Cameron newbies; they'll be giddy, for sure.

Looking forward to whomever can attend.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 31st, 2010, 9:42 am

In search of 1 or 2 tickets for the Miami game!!!!

PM, please,

and as always,

GO DUKE !!! :duke:
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » December 31st, 2010, 2:26 pm

First, off topic, I was unceremoniously dumped off of chat last night by a power outage in my neighborhood so I thought I'd offer up an explanation for my sudden departure and failure to return to the discussion.

Okay, moving on to the subject at hand - the Miami Hurricanes. This team has a couple of decent wins over West Virginia and Mississippi, but one really bad loss at the hands of Rutgers by 16 points. This is the same Rutgers squad which was blown out by Carolina 78-55. Is Miami 39 points worse than Carolina? We all know it doesn't work that way but the loss to Rutgers does cause me to pause and wonder if Miami will be able to give Duke a game. Ken Pomeroy predicts Duke will win by 22 points, 88-66.

Miami has solid players in Durand Scott, Malcolm Grant and Reggie Johnson. Johnson is listed as 6'10" 303 pounds and almost averages a double-double with 12.1 points and 9.5 rebounds per game. It will be interesting to see how our inside players match-up against Johnson. His physical fitness is questionable, plus Miami is turnover prone so this is a game where Duke will look to push the tempo. On the Duke side of the equation, I will be watching the player rotation. Will Coach K continue to play all nine recruited scholarship players or will the rotation shorten? Josh Hairston is averaging 9.5 mpg and Tyler Thornton 7.7. Seeing how many minutes they play against Miami will be an interesting factoid.

Phase II of the season, the ACC regular season, is upon us!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 31st, 2010, 6:14 pm

Good questions, Bob. I do look for the Devils to be a'runnin'. And, running with every opportunity.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by duketaylor » December 31st, 2010, 6:40 pm

I'll be riding down with a season-ticket holding friend of mine from Richmond and we'll be there at least an hour before gametime, so if Ozzie's up for getting some 'cue and fixins, we're good to go. Oz, we'll work out the fiscal issues. I'll bring some adult beverages so no need to haul a cooler, just let me know what some of y'all drink and we'll work that out as well. Ozzie doesn't have to clue me in on which is his fave;)
I think Jamie Green, Duke's golf coach, may stop by. Also, I'll be inviting another Duke friend which you all know. I'm sure he'll be there anyway. Hopefully this will come together and I believe the forecast is favorable.

Happy New Year to all of you!! CT
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 1st, 2011, 9:00 pm

Spoke with Chuck about 8:15 tonight. I'm bringing him some Q about 7 pm Sunday, but some of us are meeting for dinner at Tyler's Tap Room for a pregame dinner (and beverages) about 5:30. If anyone else wants to join us, please do!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2011, 7:49 am

Bob Green wrote: Okay, moving on to the subject at hand - the Miami Hurricanes. This team has a couple of decent wins over West Virginia and Mississippi, but one really bad loss at the hands of Rutgers by 16 points. This is the same Rutgers squad which was blown out by Carolina 78-55. Is Miami 39 points worse than Carolina? We all know it doesn't work that way but the loss to Rutgers does cause me to pause and wonder if Miami will be able to give Duke a game. Ken Pomeroy predicts Duke will win by 22 points, 88-66.

Miami has solid players in Durand Scott, Malcolm Grant and Reggie Johnson. Johnson is listed as 6'10" 303 pounds and almost averages a double-double with 12.1 points and 9.5 rebounds per game. It will be interesting to see how our inside players match-up against Johnson. His physical fitness is questionable, plus Miami is turnover prone so this is a game where Duke will look to push the tempo. On the Duke side of the equation, I will be watching the player rotation. Will Coach K continue to play all nine recruited scholarship players or will the rotation shorten? Josh Hairston is averaging 9.5 mpg and Tyler Thornton 7.7. Seeing how many minutes they play against Miami will be an interesting factoid.
Thanks for the look ahead Bob. I don't know much about Miami, but they usually seem to play us well and they have a good coach. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Blue Devils handle their first ACC foe. I just want us to start out strong and not play sloppy like we've been prone to do. I'll be at the game with camera, so keep an eye out for photos tomorrow. GO DUKE!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2011, 10:30 am

Here's an quote from an article looking at the rest of the ACC.
Underrated Malcolm Grant and Durand Scott are the ACC's best backcourt duo now that Duke's Irving is injured. Sophomore Reggie Johnson adds a powerful presence on the boards, but the Hurricanes don't force enough turnovers. They are averaging two more turnovers per game than their opponents, and that shouldn't happen with a backcourt that's so talented.
If that's true about the turnovers, we should eat them up. I'm looking forward to seeing how are big men handle another ACC big body underneath.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/02/ ... class.html
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 2nd, 2011, 12:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Here's an quote from an article looking at the rest of the ACC.
Underrated Malcolm Grant and Durand Scott are the ACC's best backcourt duo now that Duke's Irving is injured. Sophomore Reggie Johnson adds a powerful presence on the boards, but the Hurricanes don't force enough turnovers. They are averaging two more turnovers per game than their opponents, and that shouldn't happen with a backcourt that's so talented.
If that's true about the turnovers, we should eat them up. I'm looking forward to seeing how are big men handle another ACC big body underneath.
I don't think mere words are enough of a compliment to you for being able to have a comment regarding the statement excerpted from the linked article. :confusion-confused: ^:)^ That first sentence, I believe, is one that could be what is widely refered to as 'a knee-slapper'. :laughing-rofl: These two? :D Best ? ;;) Really? :)) As opposed to Nolan Smith and...anybody left from the Duke roster? :-o =))

I see, that still as of my writing this, there have been no comments to the N&O in relation to this article. :-w
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2011, 1:22 pm

captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Here's an quote from an article looking at the rest of the ACC.
I don't think mere words are enough of a compliment to you for being able to have a comment regarding the statement excerpted from the linked article. :confusion-confused: ^:)^ That first sentence, I believe, is one that could be what is widely refered to as 'a knee-slapper'. :laughing-rofl: These two? :D Best ? ;;) Really? :)) As opposed to Nolan Smith and...anybody left from the Duke roster? :-o =))

I see, that still as of my writing this, there have been no comments to the N&O in relation to this article. :-w
I just hope K has Nolan, Seth and Andre read it. Just for motivational purposes, ya know. ;)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 2nd, 2011, 2:14 pm

Go Duke!!!!!

No room in Cameron Indoor, for Hurricanes!!!! Blow in and Blow out!!! Go Duke!!!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm

Took a while to knock off the rust.
...and then Nolan began to channel his inner capt! ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2011, 5:24 pm

I've got some photos are up. About one tenth of what I took. :))

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 0893144629
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » January 3rd, 2011, 5:54 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I've got some photos are up. About one tenth of what I took. :))

Where the hell are the rest! :text-worthless: :text-worthless:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2011, 6:07 pm

indoor66 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I've got some photos are up. About one tenth of what I took. :))

Where the hell are the rest! :text-worthless: :text-worthless:
=)) =))

Some will be paintings, so I'm not sharing until the brushes are dry. :D
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 3rd, 2011, 8:10 pm

Miami game takeaways:

1. Nolan Smith is our current MVP. If he keeps it up, he will compete for ACC POY and 1st Team AA.
2. Andre Dawkins played great and is diversifying his game. The pump fake in the corner and drive down the baseline was great!
3. Plumlee/Plumlee/Kelly combined for 16 points, 22 rebounds and 8 blocked shots. Those whining about our bigs are either blind or do not understand the "team" concept.
4. Singler and Smith played 40 minutes, while Hairston and Thornton did not play at all. The rotation question is answered. I don't buy into the "tired legs" conspiracy theories but I would like to see Hairston and Thornton play some minutes during ACC games for experience reasons.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2011, 10:30 pm

Bob Green wrote:Miami game takeaways:

1. Nolan Smith is our current MVP. If he keeps it up, he will compete for ACC POY and 1st Team AA.
2. Andre Dawkins played great and is diversifying his game. The pump fake in the corner and drive down the baseline was great!
3. Plumlee/Plumlee/Kelly combined for 16 points, 22 rebounds and 8 blocked shots. Those whining about our bigs are either blind or do not understand the "team" concept.
4. Singler and Smith played 40 minutes, while Hairston and Thornton did not play at all. The rotation question is answered. I don't buy into the "tired legs" conspiracy theories but I would like to see Hairston and Thornton play some minutes during ACC games for experience reasons.
3. Like last year, I'll take several relatively productive "bigs." I think the staff's expectations last year were 30/20 for our frontcourt of 4 and I'd bet we came pretty close. Even if we were off by a point or 2 and a board or 2, I'll take the end result. BTW, Heyward still missed the shot :happy-bouncyblue:. I'd guess this year they would be expecting about what Los Plumlees and Mr Kelly produced last PM.

4. Agreed with the thoughts about TT and Josh. For years, K has adjusted practice schedules/conditioning/routines to "compensate" for extra minute played, but I still think after about 35 games of 35 minutes+/game, their legs may be a bit tired on D or jump shots late in intense games. With Kyrie still out, I'd love to have TT with about 5 MPG playing D on the opposing PG and running a few sets with the starters for experience. Same with Josh. I remember Laettner was completely gassed, mentally and physically, in the 1992 final and K had him out 30-60 seconds prior to each 2nd half TV TO so he would get about a 2 minute rest.