Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2010, 10:05 am

World Wide Stout-2007 vintage-DFH

Another amazing concoction. This was our final 4 ounce sampling last PM and put Lavabe out for the count (in fact, it's about 10 AM in the DD household and Lavabe is STILL out :)) =)) ) and son of DD finished the remaining 2 ounces or so of his allotment. Black as night, smooth as satin and almost as thick as 5W/20 and very few bubbles that could be called a head. This really reminded me of a port I sampled last winter. There are dark chocolate, heavily roasted expresso, dark fruits, licorice and black molasses flavors in the taste to me. Technically, this is probably an imperial stout but it really is in a category of its own. I'd guess the IBU to be 70-80 or higher to balance the redick-ulous amounts of barley for a brew that clocked in at 18-20% ABV when brewed 3 years ago! We had finished our triple chocolate chip cookie before decanting this bottle so this just became a sipper for the last 30 minutes of our session. $8-9 for the 12 ounce bottle but, when divided among 3-4 people or over 3-4 nights as I have done in the past, the enjoyment a couple times a year far outweighs the hefty price tag. I'm not sure we will be able to top that session but we already have some nominees for next year :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 26th, 2010, 10:11 am

devildeac wrote:World Wide Stout-2007 vintage-DFH

Another amazing concoction. This was our final 4 ounce sampling last PM and put Lavabe out for the count (in fact, it's about 10 AM in the DD household and Lavabe is STILL out :)) =)) )
Umm, nope... been busy posting in the THANK YOU CTN CARDIOLOGIST thread.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 26th, 2010, 10:15 am

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Bourbon County Stout-Goose Island

One of their reserve, limited release series. Awesome brew. As expected, it starts out as an onyx pour with a small, medium tan head and a bouquet of licorice, molasses and dark chocolate with a hint of deeply roasted espresso. It is an imperial stout and has a moderate amount of bitterness, guessing an IBU of 60-70 but tons of chocolate and other dark malts balance this wonderfully. Smooth and silky and almost oily in texture. As the name describes, it is aged in oak whiskey barrels and this gives the brew a moderate bourbon taste, further enhancing the prominent ABV of 13%. This is no doubt an after dinner drink/dessert beer best served at cellar temperature with or without a small slice of flourless chocolate cake/torte, chocolate pound cake or even a triple chocolate cheesecake. This may become my favorite imperial stout, except for the price of about $20 for the 4 pack :(( . So it may not replace the old standard BBCS which is about $8 for the 4 pack but will certainly become a once or twice a year treat to celebrate special occasions. Like the 2010 National Championship :D . Yes, I'm still celebrating and will save one for next winter and another for 2012.
Bourbon County Stout 2009-Goose Island

Ditto the above only a bit smoother overall with very little head after aging since bottling on 10/2/09. This was our Christmas night dessert/nightcap and was served slightly chilled in 4 ounce port glasses to son of DD and Lavabe, who had the prescience to bring a large, previous frozen "Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever" from his birthday this year. Killer combination with little pieces of the triple chocolate chip cookie and sips of the BCS. That was the last of the litter as my other 2 went to son of DD and CB&B. Lavabe will be looking for this year's brewing when he returns to Kin-tucky this week. What a phenomenal brew!
There are a few beer/food pairings that stand out in my life. There was the smoked porter in Anchorage paired with a salmon drizzled with a raspberry/blackberry coulis. Then there was this. Third best was a pilsener paired with a pastrami on rye at Jack and Charlie's deli in Clayton, Missouri.

OMG!! This was un-freakin'-believable. =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 26th, 2010, 10:23 am

FYI, the dark chocolate chip cookie is from:
http://www.levainbakery.com/
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2010, 10:32 am

Lavabe wrote:FYI, the dark chocolate chip cookie is from:
http://www.levainbakery.com/
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
I think Lavabe will set 2 CTN records today:

1. Largest number of drools in a single post.
2. Largest number of drools in a single day.
:D :)) =)) :ymapplause:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 26th, 2010, 5:13 pm

DD and I are both now well stocked in never before tasted brews. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2010, 8:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:DD and I are both now well stocked in never before tasted brews. :D
That was indeed an amazing trading session.

Stay tuned...
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » December 26th, 2010, 10:00 pm

devildeac wrote:World Wide Stout-2007 vintage-DFH

Another amazing concoction. This was our final 4 ounce sampling last PM and put Lavabe out for the count (in fact, it's about 10 AM in the DD household and Lavabe is STILL out :)) =)) ) and son of DD finished the remaining 2 ounces or so of his allotment. Black as night, smooth as satin and almost as thick as 5W/20 and very few bubbles that could be called a head. This really reminded me of a port I sampled last winter. There are dark chocolate, heavily roasted expresso, dark fruits, licorice and black molasses flavors in the taste to me. Technically, this is probably an imperial stout but it really is in a category of its own. I'd guess the IBU to be 70-80 or higher to balance the redick-ulous amounts of barley for a brew that clocked in at 18-20% ABV when brewed 3 years ago! We had finished our triple chocolate chip cookie before decanting this bottle so this just became a sipper for the last 30 minutes of our session. $8-9 for the 12 ounce bottle but, when divided among 3-4 people or over 3-4 nights as I have done in the past, the enjoyment a couple times a year far outweighs the hefty price tag. I'm not sure we will be able to top that session but we already have some nominees for next year :D .
What an impressive tasting session..and a great way to cap it off with the above. :drool: :ymapplause: :drool: Goose Island BCS and Dogfish WWS are both among my all time favorites beers. Perfect slow sippers to each stretch out over a few cold winter nights or to share with friends and family. I've not done much sampling this week as our little guy has been a bit under the weather but I just cracked open the 2006 Old Crustacean that was originally slated for Christmas Eve and Day. The perfect brew to battle the howling Nor'easter outside..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 27th, 2010, 6:43 am

Last night's limited tasting was Seventeen by Avery (previously reviewed) and the Sierra Nevada Stout.

The SN Stout was just a bit thin and "pale" for the style. Made me think more of a porter with its rich, dark brown pour and creamy 1-2 finger head. All the tastes checked in as expected with some coffee and milk chocolate, perhaps a bit of dark brown sugar and darkly toasted biscuits. IBU are 50 and the ABV is 5.8%, both a bit higher than I would have guessed but consistent with the style. CLD, Lavabe and dukediv2011/12 all had favorable comments also with dukediv a bit of a surprise as he is not much of a fan of porters and stouts. This is certainly another quality SN product and graciously received as a trader from CB&B. I sure I have sampled this in the past but I'd bet it has been 5-6 years or more since my last tasting. Oh, and BTW, it was quite tasty with one of ILJ's home-baked CCC :D =p~ .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 28th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Scrimshaw-North Coast

My CLD and future SIL felt a bit guilty (I think) about sampling all my brews over the holidays so far so they went to Total Wine tonight and selected a mixed 6er. This was one of them. I don't think I have tasted this pilsener for years and found it light and refreshing with floral hop notes and a very light, malty and caramel-like backbone. I'd estimate the IBU at 20 or less and the ABV about 5%. Perfect for a short session. Enjoy this with light fish or teriyaki chicken or pork. I'm gonna nominate this as Ozzie's first 6er, or at least a bottle or two, as he swears off the budlite after finding it flat and tasteless the last couple times he has had it :)) =)) .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 28th, 2010, 11:55 pm

devildeac wrote:Scrimshaw-North Coast

My CLD and future SIL felt a bit guilty (I think) about sampling all my brews over the holidays so far so they went to Total Wine tonight and selected a mixed 6er. This was one of them. I don't think I have tasted this pilsener for years and found it light and refreshing with floral hop notes and a very light, malty and caramel-like backbone. I'd estimate the IBU at 20 or less and the ABV about 5%. Perfect for a short session. Enjoy this with light fish or teriyaki chicken or pork. I'm gonna nominate this as Ozzie's first 6er, or at least a bottle or two, as he swears off the budlite after finding it flat and tasteless the last couple times he has had it :)) =)) .
Cool! B-) Accepted!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 30th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Obovoid-Boulder Brewing

Intriguing brew. This is an oatmeal stout aged in oak barrels. Not sure whether they are whiskey/bourbon barrels or not but the last taste I have is just a hint of booze. Oats are added to several malts, including black patent and chocolate. Two English hops are used with one US hop, giving an IBU of 40 and an ABV of 6.8%. The color is very dark brown, it is smooth and very slightly "chewy" and has tastes of dark chocolate, expresso and dark caramel. This was a bomber sipped over 2 nights. CB&B has one of these so I'll be curious about his thoughts.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 30th, 2010, 11:32 pm

devildeac wrote: CB&B has one of these so I'll be curious about his thoughts.
I put in the fridge earlier today for tasting tomorrow. :) Looking forward to it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 4th, 2011, 9:52 pm

IPA-Caldera Brewing-Ashland, Oregon

This was quite a find by CB&B on his most recent excursion to the specialty wine/beer shop in Blacksburg. We visited Oregon a lot when my parents lived out there from 1988-2000 and I sampled quite a few brews while spending time with them and my brother, in addition to smuggling an even larger # back to NC before Pop the Cap was enacted :D :ymblushing: . I had never heard of this brewery. This is a canned IPA which is mostly grapefruity hops and a bit of resin/pine with a solid, balanced caramel malt backbone. The ABV is 6.1% and the IBU is an astounding/surprising 94 but is not palate unfriendly. Orange-yellow in color with a 1-2 finger head, this brew would be a nice match with curry (not Seth ;) ), a spicy salsa on tuna, halibut or mackeral. I wouldn't hesitate with another single of this or a 6er to share the wealth with family, Brunchgate buddies or beer-trading drug reps. Sometimes you take a chance on new brews and sometimes you lose, but many times you come up with a winner and this was one of them. :clap:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2011, 10:25 am

Live Free or Die IPA-21st Amendment Brewing

Another CB&B trader and surprise winner. I have read/heard about this brewery/pub in SF but no prior tastings. This was a canned brew from the specialty shop in Blacksburg. Pours a gold color, 2 finger head with a bouquet of hop aromas, including a bit of citrus and a bit of pine. Solid balance with the malts and a hint of caramel sweetness. IBU at 70 and the ABV is 7% from the 6 hop varieties and 2 malts. Pair with spicy dishes or thick soups/stews, ribs and BBQ. This is actually a contract brew with Cold Spring, Minnesota listed as the brewery/place of origin. Not sure what they pour in SF, whether it is brewed on site or in the frozen north. Worth a single, 6er/trader. :clap:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2011, 10:29 am

Yo, CB&B-ya gotta find some of this stuff on your next trip to Blacksburg:

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/monks-blood

Check out the special ingredients. =p~
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 5th, 2011, 1:12 pm

devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B-ya gotta find some of this stuff on your next trip to Blacksburg:

Ooooh, that sounds tasty!
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 5th, 2011, 9:06 pm

devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B-ya gotta find some of this stuff on your next trip to Blacksburg:

Tried some of this last year and it was a pretty nice Belgian strong dark..I haven't seen any of it this year though I did pick up some of the fireside chat (winter warmer) that they put out..I'll have to look for live free or die..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2011, 11:18 am

bluebeer wrote:

Tried some of this last year and it was a pretty nice Belgian strong dark..I haven't seen any of it this year though I did pick up some of the fireside chat (winter warmer) that they put out..I'll have to look for live free or die..
Fireside Chat was also in my recent trader with CB&B. That will be a weekend beer. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Little Sumpin' Wild-Lagunitas Brewing

I am not a big Lagunitas fan and have not had many of their brews but this was the brewery/keg for pint glass night at Tyler's last PM so Ozzie and I were the tasters in our group. Buy the pint, keep the glass. Best described/categorized as an IIPA, this was a yellow-orange pour with a smallish head and a prominent citrus nose, specifically, mostly grapefruit, but perhaps a bit of orange from the wheat malt used in the brew. Massively hoppy and medium caramel malty sweetness kept the warring factions of the high IBU (guessing about 80-90) and the high ABV (8.8% on Tyler's menu and 7.8% on the brewery web site) at peace during the sampling. This made a very tasty chicken cordon bleu sammich even more enjoyable with a tangy dijonaisse sauce. Of course, the company was might fine, too, as was the dismantling of UAB over the next couple hours :D :duke: .