Winter - Love It Or hate It?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

How Do You Feel About Winter?

I love it, winter is awesome!
28%
I don't love it but I don't mind it either.
22%
I'm neither here nor there.
No votes
I don't particularly like it but it isn't that big of a deal to me.
11%
Winter sucks, I friggin' hate it with every fiber of my being!
39%

Total votes: 18
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Winter - Love It Or hate It?

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2010, 10:16 pm

DukeUsul wrote:We have direct vented gas logs in our family room and they produce a fucking lot of heat. My wife hates the cold and will crank that thing up, wear a sweatshirt and sit under a blanket next to the thing. Meanwhile, I have to run around the house in my skivvies if it's been on for any more than 10 minutes.
Ya oughtta go outside instead (see posts above re: speedo, heat and humidity :)) =)) ).
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » December 13th, 2010, 11:37 pm

It's been in the 50's here - thank you, Pineapple Express (though you could have left the 4-9" of flood-inducing rain back in Hawaii.) I have to go to Nebraska next week - I believe they're currently experiencing wind chills below 0. :((

I like winter weather only when I can drive to it, by choice, and frolic on skis (then enjoy tasty adult beverages apres ski.)
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » December 14th, 2010, 7:47 am

DevilAlumna wrote:It's been in the 50's here - thank you, Pineapple Express (though you could have left the 4-9" of flood-inducing rain back in Hawaii.) I have to go to Nebraska next week - I believe they're currently experiencing wind chills below 0. :((

I like winter weather only when I can drive to it, by choice, and frolic on skis (then enjoy tasty adult beverages apres ski.)
Not to be currently enjoyed! :Police:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » December 14th, 2010, 11:01 pm

This is why winter sucks here. I know this stretch of highway and would not want to be stranded out there.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... arnia?bn=1
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » December 15th, 2010, 12:42 am

indoor66 wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:It's been in the 50's here - thank you, Pineapple Express (though you could have left the 4-9" of flood-inducing rain back in Hawaii.) I have to go to Nebraska next week - I believe they're currently experiencing wind chills below 0. :((

Not to be currently enjoyed! :Police:
Nor the frolicking on skis - center of balance is going off whack... :(
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 15th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: Sir, you do have a way with words!
Aw,shucks! :ymblushing:
You are too kind.

Just another note about winter weather...
ARGGGHHH!
The forecasters are calling for it to cloud up and fart, early in the mornin', right about the break o'day. And, the worst, they say, is right about straight up and over my house. That's really when I love it most. 8-| 8-| If it's gonna happen... leave no doubt, please. Don't start right when I usually leave home headed for work. Start early enough to keep me from even going so far as to exit my back door.
Thank you, Ol' Man Winter. :-w
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 15th, 2010, 8:10 pm

captmojo wrote:Thank you, Ol' Man Winter. :-w
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 15th, 2010, 10:08 pm

captmojo wrote:If it's gonna happen... leave no doubt, please. Don't start right when I usually leave home headed for work. Start early enough to keep me from even going so far as to exit my back door.
Thank you, Ol' Man Winter. :-w
My sentiments exactly! Don't make me leave for work and get nasty on my way or when I get there.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2010, 10:29 pm

I'm not sure I'm gonna like winter too much any more after I wake up in the AM and then about noon or so tomorrow. And yes, I am aware it is not yet officially winter.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 15th, 2010, 11:07 pm

devildeac wrote:I'm not sure I'm gonna like winter too much any more after I wake up in the AM and then about noon or so tomorrow. And yes, I am aware it is not yet officially winter.
This winter is gonna suck. Us beach bums noted often that last year's was quite cold. This year is looking to put last year's to shame. I long for my first few years here (moved in 2003) when I remember enjoying new year's day in shorts on the par 3 golf course. We had at least 3 straight year's like that. If it gets into the 70's again this January I will be dancing. In shorts.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 16th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Sepnt 13.5 hrs going from Derm to South Jersey today. Usually takes 8.5 hrs. Woke up at 5am (snow already on the ground) and it snowed the whole way up. Got in to my in-laws around 8 or so. The ride up through DC was pretty good, until all those loonies in and around our nation's capital all left work at noon and decided to go home at the same time and caused gridlock. Getting the 180 miles from south of DC to south Jersey took from about 12:30 to 8ish.

In spite of all this I still love winter. I just hate all the other idiots out there that make it hard for me to enjoy it.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 16th, 2010, 10:44 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
In spite of all this I still love winter. I just hate all the other idiots out there that make it hard for me to enjoy it.
Heh-heh, other idiots. He called himself an idiot just like LG91 called the capt. an idiot. Oh, my. :)) =))
Of course...I are one. 8-}
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 16th, 2010, 10:47 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Sepnt 13.5 hrs going from Derm to South Jersey today. Usually takes 8.5 hrs. Woke up at 5am (snow already on the ground) and it snowed the whole way up. Got in to my in-laws around 8 or so. The ride up through DC was pretty good, until all those loonies in and around our nation's capital all left work at noon and decided to go home at the same time and caused gridlock. Getting the 180 miles from south of DC to south Jersey took from about 12:30 to 8ish.

Glad you made it safely, DU.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 16th, 2010, 11:08 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Sepnt 13.5 hrs going from Derm to South Jersey today. Usually takes 8.5 hrs. Woke up at 5am (snow already on the ground) and it snowed the whole way up. Got in to my in-laws around 8 or so. The ride up through DC was pretty good, until all those loonies in and around our nation's capital all left work at noon and decided to go home at the same time and caused gridlock. Getting the 180 miles from south of DC to south Jersey took from about 12:30 to 8ish.

Heh-heh, other idiots. He called himself an idiot just like LG91 called the capt. an idiot. Oh, my. :)) =))
=)) =))
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 17th, 2010, 6:09 am

Oh, what a beautiful morning.
The highway in front of my house has become a 22ft wide skating rink. Two vehicles have passed by sideways in the last 15 minutes. The 'Swerve' smilie doesn't want to work for me. It's okay. I don't want to work for it, either. Ha! We're even! B-)

I ain't movin'. Maybe, if the temps get up early enough, I might go look at pulling a shortie. Right now, it's freezing fog that's ruling my behavior. I'm gonna sit right here and zone out on TV. They (my employer) says any changes in work schedules will be posted in the list of closings and delays on the local TV station's graphics crawl. So far, I've not seen them on the list. I believe they wait untill they've gotten enough people to call-in telling them they are not to be expected, then they make a decision :-? to make it official. How safe for them. What assholes! X(
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » December 17th, 2010, 7:56 am

devildeac wrote:

Yes. Other idiots. This idiot was the one who said "hey, let's try to outrun the snow on it's way North."
-- DukeUsul
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 17th, 2010, 10:07 am

DukeUsul wrote:
devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote: I just hate all the other idiots out there that make it hard for me to enjoy it.
Yes. Other idiots. This idiot was the one who said "hey, let's try to outrun the snow on it's way North."
But of course, I are an idiot. 8-}
How sweet...to be an idiot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4UG8W2wlI
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 17th, 2010, 10:59 am

Thank you, NC Division of Highways, for making half of my drive to work possible. Not entirely pleasant, but possible and not terribly bad.

VA Department of Transportation, :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-buttred: Route 220 is a main thoroughfare. If you have signs to tell the population that bridges freeze before roads, would it not make some amount of sense to salt/sand/something the damned bridges?

Henry County, are you :teasing-smokingcrack: ? The courthouse has been here 14 plus years. EVERY WINTER, the parking lot freezes. Scraping is useless, and has been that way for 14 years. Buy some kitty litter, for pete's sake, and make it at least moderately safe for those of us trying to get in the building. Or shut down. Your choice. My salary for a day off will be cheaper than my worker's comp bills if I fall in your lot again.

Okay, off soapbox.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2010, 5:31 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
devildeac wrote:

:ymblushing: :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2010, 5:32 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Thank you, NC Division of Highways, for making half of my drive to work possible. Not entirely pleasant, but possible and not terribly bad.

VA Department of Transportation, :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-buttred: Route 220 is a main thoroughfare. If you have signs to tell the population that bridges freeze before roads, would it not make some amount of sense to salt/sand/something the damned bridges?

Henry County, are you :teasing-smokingcrack: ? The courthouse has been here 14 plus years. EVERY WINTER, the parking lot freezes. Scraping is useless, and has been that way for 14 years. Buy some kitty litter, for pete's sake, and make it at least moderately safe for those of us trying to get in the building. Or shut down. Your choice. My salary for a day off will be cheaper than my worker's comp bills if I fall in your lot again.

Okay, off soapbox.
Sad, but :)) =))