LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » December 12th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Lavabe wrote:Dear SNL,
When you book musical guests, would you please just do a simple sound check to make sure that the guests are not tone deaf. All I ask is for 10% of the notes to be in tune. Taylor Swift was ridiculous, as were Arcade Fire, Katy Perry, and Bruno Mars, but Florence and the Machine now holds the record for percent of notes missed.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Add Sir Paul McCartney to the list. Truly sad... off-key singing. Not unlike listening to Roger Daltrey singing the halftime of the Super Bowl. :ymtongue:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 12th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Pop quiz: you're a pedestrian at an intersection. You have a red light, and a car with the right of way is coming toward you on a snow-covered street. What do you do?

If you're a pedestrian in St. Louis, you would chose the "walk across the street without even looking" option. Yes, that happened to me this morning. Icy intersection, and you cross in front of an oncoming car? "Morons" doesn't seem quite strong enough in this case. X(
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 12th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Lavabe wrote:
When you book musical guests, would you please just do a simple sound check to make sure that the guests are not tone deaf. All I ask is for 10% of the notes to be in tune. Taylor Swift was ridiculous, as were Arcade Fire, Katy Perry, and Bruno Mars, but Florence and the Machine now holds the record for percent of notes missed.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Add Sir Paul McCartney to the list. Truly sad... off-key singing. Not unlike listening to Roger Daltrey singing the halftime of the Super Bowl. :ymtongue:
Was there a new SNL this week? My DVR didn't record it for some reason. It also missed the new episode of "Glee" earlier in the week. :(
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 12th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Well, at least next week there won't be a problem... EMINEM is performing. He doesn't sing so much. %-(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 12th, 2010, 1:29 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Was there a new SNL this week? My DVR didn't record it for some reason. It also missed the new episode of "Glee" earlier in the week. :(
Yes it was a new one, with Paul Rudd. Weekend Update was good, as were a number of sketches. Worth watching on Hulu. Meryl Streep impersonation, the video short (Stumblin'), the game show, and the Cat Food commercial were good. Jay Pharoah is hilarious.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2010, 1:32 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Pop quiz: you're a pedestrian at an intersection. You have a red light, and a car with the right of way is coming toward you on a snow-covered street. What do you do?

If you're a pedestrian in St. Louis, you would chose the "walk across the street without even looking" option. Yes, that happened to me this morning. Icy intersection, and you cross in front of an oncoming car? "Morons" doesn't seem quite strong enough in this case. X(
Death wish would be a better choice. Or, how about, freaking imbecile. Or, miserable idiot.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 12th, 2010, 1:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Pop quiz: you're a pedestrian at an intersection. You have a red light, and a car with the right of way is coming toward you on a snow-covered street. What do you do?

Death wish would be a better choice. Or, how about, freaking imbecile. Or, miserable idiot.
Freaking imbecile, maybe with a couple other adjectives and expletives. The last person was near the curb in front of me when I got to the intersection. Scared the heck out of me. I honked, and they looked at me like I was the one at fault. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 12th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Quiet here tonight. :asleep:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 12th, 2010, 9:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Quiet here tonight. :asleep:
It's heavy snowing outside.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 12th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Supposedly we may get a dusting here in Derm. Would be nice to wake up to a few flakes on the ground. Ground may be too warm though.
-- DukeUsul
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 12th, 2010, 9:46 pm

It briefly snowed in Walnut Cove, and my buddy at work tells me it's snowing but not sticking in the varnish zone of Henry County.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 12th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Another Lessons & Carols service on the books! Let the season begin!
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 12th, 2010, 10:51 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Another Lessons & Carols service on the books! Let the season begin!
Yay! :happy-bouncyblue: How did it go?
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 12th, 2010, 11:43 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Another Lessons & Carols service on the books! Let the season begin!
Attendance was a bit low due to the icy roads. Music was good. Handbells did better than this morning, and Wachet auf went surprisingly well. The problems? Handbells played immediately before the procession, and the rest of the choir didn't let the handbell people get in line before taking off. The last alto was about halfway down the aisle when I got through the door, and I didn't have a candle for most of the way. Then, for the recessional, I had to lead our side out and didn't realize I was supposed to wait for one of the official candle bearers to lead us out. So, basically, we messed up on processional and recessional stuff that would've been fine if we had rehearsed it. That happens a lot - we don't rehearse stuff because "everybody knows it." Well, everyone except the people (more than just me) who are somewhat new to the choir. X(

I'm still not entirely sure why we have 20 minutes (!) of prelude music, starting when the service is scheduled to begin. Counting the handbell piece, we had 4 (!) pieces of prelude music. I always thought preludes were played before the actual start of the service, but obviously I was wrong. The last number is always the handbell choir, and it's followed immediately by the processional. People who are in handbells and choir have to race around to the back of the church while not actually going through the church, and we didn't make it today. Seems like it would be quite easy to have the handbell choir be the next to last prelude piece so that we'd have time to get in line. It also seems as though we should either omit some of the prelude music or - here's a novel idea - play it BEFORE the service while people are coming in and being seated. As it is, the service is almost 2 hrs long because of all the extra music that gets packed in. I think some of it could be cut, but the music director would disagree with me. (stepping down from soapbox...)
-- Albert Einstein
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » December 13th, 2010, 9:45 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Attendance was a bit low due to the icy roads. Music was good. Handbells did better than this morning, and Wachet auf went surprisingly well. The problems? Handbells played immediately before the procession, and the rest of the choir didn't let the handbell people get in line before taking off. The last alto was about halfway down the aisle when I got through the door, and I didn't have a candle for most of the way. Then, for the recessional, I had to lead our side out and didn't realize I was supposed to wait for one of the official candle bearers to lead us out. So, basically, we messed up on processional and recessional stuff that would've been fine if we had rehearsed it. That happens a lot - we don't rehearse stuff because "everybody knows it." Well, everyone except the people (more than just me) who are somewhat new to the choir. X(

I'm still not entirely sure why we have 20 minutes (!) of prelude music, starting when the service is scheduled to begin. Counting the handbell piece, we had 4 (!) pieces of prelude music. I always thought preludes were played before the actual start of the service, but obviously I was wrong. The last number is always the handbell choir, and it's followed immediately by the processional. People who are in handbells and choir have to race around to the back of the church while not actually going through the church, and we didn't make it today. Seems like it would be quite easy to have the handbell choir be the next to last prelude piece so that we'd have time to get in line. It also seems as though we should either omit some of the prelude music or - here's a novel idea - play it BEFORE the service while people are coming in and being seated. As it is, the service is almost 2 hrs long because of all the extra music that gets packed in. I think some of it could be cut, but the music director would disagree with me. (stepping down from soapbox...)
Or you could do what we did in my church in high school. We had the handbell choir process with the choir during the processional. We had to memorize our parts! That took some guts for our choir director to set up.
-- DukeUsul
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 13th, 2010, 10:51 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

Twenty minutes of prelude music? Our entire church would be asleep!
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 13th, 2010, 6:47 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

Or you could do what we did in my church in high school. We had the handbell choir process with the choir during the processional. We had to memorize our parts! That took some guts for our choir director to set up.
Nice idea in theory, but it would never work for us. We played a couple of Level 3 pieces that required chimes, bells, and mallets. That would be tricky to do while walking. Also, we have several choir members who also play handbells. It would be extremely difficult to sing, walk, and play chimes/handbells at the same time. I do good to walk, sing, and carry a candle without setting myself ablaze.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 13th, 2010, 6:54 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Twenty minutes of prelude music? Our entire church would be asleep!
Exactly. Try telling our director that, though. We had an organ piece, an organ/flute piece, an organ/violin/flute piece, and then handbells. IMO the service is too long for children to sit through. I just happen to be on worship committee, so I may think of a way to delicately and diplomatically broach this subject if it happens to come up at a future meeting. I'll have to be careful, though, because our director is a bit sensitive about suggestions regarding music. I might ask the minister's advice on this one.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 13th, 2010, 9:37 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Twenty minutes of prelude music? Our entire church would be asleep!
Exactly. Try telling our director that, though. We had an organ piece, an organ/flute piece, an organ/violin/flute piece, and then handbells. IMO the service is too long for children to sit through. I just happen to be on worship committee, so I may think of a way to delicately and diplomatically broach this subject if it happens to come up at a future meeting. I'll have to be careful, though, because our director is a bit sensitive about suggestions regarding music. I might ask the minister's advice on this one.
Feel out the rest of the worship committee, as well. They may have some suggestions, and if most everyone feels the same way, it would be good to present a united front to the minister and the director.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2010, 10:19 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Attendance was a bit low due to the icy roads. Music was good. Handbells did better than this morning, and Wachet auf went surprisingly well. The problems? Handbells played immediately before the procession, and the rest of the choir didn't let the handbell people get in line before taking off. The last alto was about halfway down the aisle when I got through the door, and I didn't have a candle for most of the way. Then, for the recessional, I had to lead our side out and didn't realize I was supposed to wait for one of the official candle bearers to lead us out. So, basically, we messed up on processional and recessional stuff that would've been fine if we had rehearsed it. That happens a lot - we don't rehearse stuff because "everybody knows it." Well, everyone except the people (more than just me) who are somewhat new to the choir. X(

Nice idea in theory, but it would never work for us. We played a couple of Level 3 pieces that required chimes, bells, and mallets. That would be tricky to do while walking. Also, we have several choir members who also play handbells. It would be extremely difficult to sing, walk, and play chimes/handbells at the same time. I do good to walk, sing, and carry a candle without setting myself ablaze.

Ya mean like this:
:flame: :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-fire:

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.