Thank you, CTN cardiologist

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Thank you, CTN cardiologist

Post by Lavabe » December 7th, 2010, 11:40 am

Blood panel came back today. Following the CTN Cardiologist's plan worked. My triglycerides fell from 179 to the more normal range of about 82. Cholesterol values have significant improvement as well. Still on Zocor (same low dose) & fish oil. Dietary changes as suggested by the CTN cardiologist really helped out, and are now a part of my normal routine (well, aside from maybe a little celebratory cheesecake tonight). :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

Must go to the store and get some of the new Schlafly's that are just out for the season. Got to pay the cardiologist bill. ;)

Does this now mean I can have the one Ted Drewe's concrete whenever I get to go visit St. Louis?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Thank you, CTN cardiologist

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:Blood panel came back today. Following the CTN Cardiologist's plan worked. My triglycerides fell from 179 to the more normal range of about 82. Cholesterol values have significant improvement as well. Still on Zocor (same low dose) & fish oil. Dietary changes as suggested by the CTN cardiologist really helped out, and are now a part of my normal routine (well, aside from maybe a little celebratory cheesecake tonight). :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

Must go to the store and get some of the new Schlafly's that are just out for the season. Got to pay the cardiologist bill. ;)

Does this now mean I can have the one Ted Drewe's concrete whenever I get to go visit St. Louis?
Bring your lab work when you come down in a couple weeks. We'll schedule another low cost consultation and lab review :)) =)) .Schlafly's Imperial Stout, Barleywine and/or Grand Cru would be nice :D . Shoot, you know what I buy when I visit, almost always stuff I can't get here. Great Lakes, Schlafly and Goose Island products are not distributed here ;) .

And, BTW, that's great news. :clap:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 7th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Lavabe wrote:Blood panel came back today. Following the CTN Cardiologist's plan worked. My triglycerides fell from 179 to the more normal range of about 82. Cholesterol values have significant improvement as well. Still on Zocor (same low dose) & fish oil. Dietary changes as suggested by the CTN cardiologist really helped out, and are now a part of my normal routine (well, aside from maybe a little celebratory cheesecake tonight). :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

Wonderful news, Lavabe! :happy-bouncyblue:

Nice to have a doctor in the house, isn't it? (and in your case, one in the family!) :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 7th, 2010, 4:31 pm

devildeac wrote:

Bring your lab work when you come down in a couple weeks. We'll schedule another low cost consultation and lab review :)) =)) .Schlafly's Imperial Stout, Barleywine and/or Grand Cru would be nice :D . Shoot, you know what I buy when I visit, almost always stuff I can't get here. Great Lakes, Schlafly and Goose Island products are not distributed here ;) .

You CAN get the Founders stuff in NC, right?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 7th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Way to go Lavabe. :happy-bouncyblue:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:

You CAN get the Founders stuff in NC, right?
Yes. =p~
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » December 7th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Go Lavabe!!!! I wish all patients followed doctor's orders the way you do!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 7th, 2010, 7:16 pm

DukePA wrote:Go Lavabe!!!! I wish all patients followed doctor's orders the way you do!!
Truth be told, I said (in my mind) F.Y. to my family doctor, whose immediate knee-jerk response to my bad blood panel in August was DOUBLE MY DOSAGE, no discussion, and no assistance. He wouldn't listen to my situation (the bad diet in Madagascar).

I followed the instructions of DD & Mrs. DD. They were pretty clear about what to do. I also have a colleague in my department who has hypercholesterolemia, so that kept me on track at the office. It was tougher to stick to the orders at home, but I survived there as well.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 7th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Way to go, Lavabe! Kudos to you and to the advice of our resident cardiologist. I'd say a concrete is definitely in order. You could go for the Great Pumpkin. It's healthy - it has pumpkin. :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 7th, 2010, 8:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Way to go, Lavabe! Kudos to you and to the advice of our resident cardiologist. I'd say a concrete is definitely in order. You could go for the Great Pumpkin. It's healthy - it has pumpkin. :happy-bouncyblue:
This would mean I would need to visit before Drewe's closes for the winter. HMM....
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 7th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Congratulations, Lavabe! You are a good patient.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 7th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Good to hear your improvement. Live long and prosper.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 8th, 2010, 8:06 am

So, DD, let us in. What diet should we be on to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2010, 8:52 am

bjornolf wrote:So, DD, let us in. What diet should we be on to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good?

@};-
Reduced saturated fats, no trans fats, more fruits and veggies, less "white" carbs, an hour of somewhat vigorous exercise daily and one DFH. Weight loss to a BMI of 20-25 would be helpful, too.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 8th, 2010, 12:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
bjornolf wrote:So, DD, let us in. What diet should we be on to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good?

@};-
Reduced saturated fats, no trans fats, more fruits and veggies, less "white" carbs, an hour of somewhat vigorous exercise daily and one DFH. Weight loss to a BMI of 20-25 would be helpful, too.
There are plenty of good alternative "non-white" carbs these days. I'm a real fan of this one brown basmati rice, and the pasta makers now have some real good alternatives. As a friend in my department said, the taste is often a little more earthy, nutty, or savory with the non-white starches.
To lower the triglycerides, another helpful tip DD gave me was a simple rule: if corn syrup/sugar/molasses is one of the first three ingredients, you'll want to avoid it. Mrs. DD also stressed a little more trying to wean myself off grain-fed beef, going with more grass-fed stuff... which we could genuinely do here in Kentucky.
I also found myself snacking more on apples (hence, the thread) and almonds (hmm, do we need a thread for that too?).
DFH was a good semi-weekly treat for me (Chateau CB&B was REALLY nice too).
But the plan doesn't work for everyone, especially if you view food as a respite/drug. For me, that was never a problem.

And having someone in the department who was doing pretty much the same thing REALLY helped.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » December 8th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I recently had a physical and my cholesterol was little high. I had to let the doctor know that I was appalled that the very first thing out of her mouth was a prescription for medication - where were the suggestions for OPTIONS like diet and exercise?! So then she suggested a visit with a nutritionist, which I accepted. The nutritionist and I talked about my eating habits and the suggestions she made were pretty easy and very common sense - nothing too drastic. Basically, I switched to a low-fat, high fiber diet and changed my eating habits so that I eat at regular intervals (never more than 4 hours without eating something) and I lost 16 pounds and dropped 20 points off my cholesterol in 3 months.

DD - why is a pill the first thing some doctors suggest?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2010, 7:42 pm

shereec wrote:I recently had a physical and my cholesterol was little high. I had to let the doctor know that I was appalled that the very first thing out of her mouth was a prescription for medication - where were the suggestions for OPTIONS like diet and exercise?! So then she suggested a visit with a nutritionist, which I accepted. The nutritionist and I talked about my eating habits and the suggestions she made were pretty easy and very common sense - nothing too drastic. Basically, I switched to a low-fat, high fiber diet and changed my eating habits so that I eat at regular intervals (never more than 4 hours without eating something) and I lost 16 pounds and dropped 20 points off my cholesterol in 3 months.

Come sit in my office sometime and see the girth of some of the folks who try to waddle through my door.

Seriously, it depends on the level of the total cholesterol, triglycerides, high density lipoprotein and low density lipoprotein, henceforth, on this thread, and as is standard in laboratories and medical journals just about everywhere to be abbreviated, TC, TG, HDL and LDL, respectively. Most dietary changes will only yield about a 10-15% drop in the bad lipids, TC, TG and LDL and a 3-5% rise in the good one, HDL. In some folks, that may be enough. Many of the lipid disorders I work with, either primarily, or, in conjunction with the PCP, involve TC >250, TG >250-300, HDL <35 and LDL >150-160. Those values need to be reduced at least 30%, and, if you have a cardiac event such as a myocardial infarction (not a dbr infraction :p ), aka as a heart attack, coronary artery bypass grafting/surgery (CABG) or a stent (my favorite procedure :D ), those values need to be reduced 40-50% or more. Then, diet and meds are needed. National goals are TC<150, TG<150, HDL>45 and LDL<70. Those are pretty tough standards to attain, especially when the pils, err, pills we prescribe cause myalgias and arthralgias (aka aches and pains) in about 40% of patients and the meds get stopped.

Hope that helps.
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » December 8th, 2010, 8:01 pm

devildeac wrote:
shereec wrote:I recently had a physical and my cholesterol was little high. I had to let the doctor know that I was appalled that the very first thing out of her mouth was a prescription for medication - where were the suggestions for OPTIONS like diet and exercise?! So then she suggested a visit with a nutritionist, which I accepted. The nutritionist and I talked about my eating habits and the suggestions she made were pretty easy and very common sense - nothing too drastic. Basically, I switched to a low-fat, high fiber diet and changed my eating habits so that I eat at regular intervals (never more than 4 hours without eating something) and I lost 16 pounds and dropped 20 points off my cholesterol in 3 months.

Come sit in my office sometime and see the girth of some of the folks who try to waddle through my door.

Seriously, it depends on the level of the total cholesterol, triglycerides, high density lipoprotein and low density lipoprotein, henceforth, on this thread, and as is standard in laboratories and medical journals just about everywhere to be abbreviated, TC, TG, HDL and LDL, respectively. Most dietary changes will only yield about a 10-15% drop in the bad lipids, TC, TG and LDL and a 3-5% rise in the good one, HDL. In some folks, that may be enough. Many of the lipid disorders I work with, either primarily, or, in conjunction with the PCP, involve TC >250, TG >250-300, HDL <35 and LDL >150-160. Those values need to be reduced at least 30%, and, if you have a cardiac event such as a myocardial infarction (not a dbr infraction :p ), aka as a heart attack, coronary artery bypass grafting/surgery (CABG) or a stent (my favorite procedure :D ), those values need to be reduced 40-50% or more. Then, diet and meds are needed. National goals are TC<150, TG<150, HDL>45 and LDL<70. Those are pretty tough standards to attain, especially when the pils, err, pills we prescribe cause myalgias and arthralgias (aka aches and pains) in about 40% of patients and the meds get stopped.

Hope that helps.
May I take this response over to the My Ass Hurts thread?
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 8th, 2010, 8:17 pm

indoor66 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Hope that helps.
I think anything and everything should be allowed in the 'My Ass Hurts' thread. :shifty:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 8th, 2010, 8:28 pm

captmojo wrote:
indoor66 wrote:
I think anything and everything should be allowed in the 'My Ass Hurts' thread. :shifty:
Not so sure, Capt. The cardiologist wants pictures! :-o
Iron Duke #1471997.