The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Baked Flounder w/ cheese

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 2nd, 2009, 6:26 pm

Harris Teeter had flounder on sale, so I bought some for dinner this week. (Sad, live at the beach and buy frozen flounder, but it's cheap! And wild caught, don't think that really affects taste though).
I was gonna do the 'ol wrap it in tinfoil, smother with italian dressing and grill it bit, but I decided to see what baked recipe I could find. I found the following on Cooks.com (what a delicious site), and as luck would have it I have all of the ingredients, so no extra store trip required! I'm making it with fresh asparagus.
BAKED FLOUNDER WITH CHEESE

2 lb. flounder filets
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. light mayonnaise
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

Place flounder on greased foil on cookie sheet. Turn up edges all around so juices do not run over. Pour lemon juice over fish. Combine rest of ingredients, set aside. Bake fish for 6 to 8 minutes in 450 degree oven until fish flakes with a fork. Remove from oven. Gently spread cheese mixture on top of fish. Put back in oven and broil just until cheese has melted and topping is golden brown.
Makes 5-6 servings.

The other side dish is stuffed clams. I bought them frozen a couple weeks ago, they are way yummy. I don't know what's in them, but one day I'll find out and make them from scratch.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Baked Flounder w/ cheese

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2009, 11:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Harris Teeter had flounder on sale, so I bought some for dinner this week. (Sad, live at the beach and buy frozen flounder, but it's cheap! And wild caught, don't think that really affects taste though).
I was gonna do the 'ol wrap it in tinfoil, smother with italian dressing and grill it bit, but I decided to see what baked recipe I could find. I found the following on Cooks.com (what a delicious site), and as luck would have it I have all of the ingredients, so no extra store trip required! I'm making it with fresh asparagus.

2 lb. flounder filets
1/4 c. light mayonnaise
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

Place flounder on greased foil on cookie sheet. Turn up edges all around so juices do not run over. Pour lemon juice over fish. Combine rest of ingredients, set aside. Bake fish for 6 to 8 minutes in 450 degree oven until fish flakes with a fork. Remove from oven. Gently spread cheese mixture on top of fish. Put back in oven and broil just until cheese has melted and topping is golden brown.
Makes 5-6 servings.

The other side dish is stuffed clams. I bought them frozen a couple weeks ago, they are way yummy. I don't know what's in them, but one day I'll find out and make them from scratch.
That would be good with a pale ale. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 3rd, 2009, 12:00 am

devildeac wrote: That would be good with a pale ale. :D
It was! Actually, beer or no beer, this recipe was really great. Sweetie pie and the kids, who are not big fans of fish, all went back for seconds. By far the best fish dish I have baked in a long time. I swapped the asparagus for zuchinni, only because my zuchinni will be ready to harvest in a week, and I needed to use up what I had bought at the store. Asparagus for tomorrow night. (Excellent with a hollandaise sauce)
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by DevilAlumna » June 3rd, 2009, 1:27 am

I tried a recipe for blackened Salmon this weekend - turned out yummy. (Copper River is having a monster salmon run this year - you can probably get some fresh in your local grocery store just about anywhere in the US right now.)

The seasoning:

2 tablespoons ground paprika
1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Rub that and some olive oil on a salmon filet, to make a nice crust. Preheat the oven to 375.

Heat an oven-proof skillet with some oil, until smoking. (The recipe I tried said to use butter as the cooking oil, but I think next time, I'll go with olive oil, to withstand the slightly higher temp.) Put the salmon in skin-side up, and sear the blackening for 2-4 minutes (depends on thickness). Flip over, and cook on skin-side 2-4 min.

Throw the whole pan in the oven for another 3-4 min, or until fish flakes easily.

Bring it out of the oven, take the fish out of the pan. Melt some butter (3tbsp?) and stir in some lemon juice (1-2 lemons) in the pan and scrape up any of the remaining blackening spice. Pour the sauce over the fish. Viola.

I served with a Caesar salad and breadsticks - better (and cheaper!) than a restaurant!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 3rd, 2009, 12:39 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:I tried a recipe for blackened Salmon this weekend - turned out yummy. (Copper River is having a monster salmon run this year - you can probably get some fresh in your local grocery store just about anywhere in the US right now.)

The seasoning:

2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil

Rub that and some olive oil on a salmon filet, to make a nice crust. Preheat the oven to 375.

Heat an oven-proof skillet with some oil, until smoking. (The recipe I tried said to use butter as the cooking oil, but I think next time, I'll go with olive oil, to withstand the slightly higher temp.) Put the salmon in skin-side up, and sear the blackening for 2-4 minutes (depends on thickness). Flip over, and cook on skin-side 2-4 min.

Throw the whole pan in the oven for another 3-4 min, or until fish flakes easily.

Bring it out of the oven, take the fish out of the pan. Melt some butter (3tbsp?) and stir in some lemon juice (1-2 lemons) in the pan and scrape up any of the remaining blackening spice. Pour the sauce over the fish. Viola.

I served with a Caesar salad and breadsticks - better (and cheaper!) than a restaurant!
This screams for an IPA. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2009, 1:00 pm

Cool. Mine is so boring. I just saute a little onion and garlic in a little oil. Then I put creole seasoning and blackening seasoning on the salmon and throw it in the pan with the garlic and onion. Blackens up real nice, but probably not as tasty as yours. I'll have to try it. :)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 3rd, 2009, 6:55 pm

devildeac wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:I tried a recipe for blackened Salmon this weekend - turned out yummy. (Copper River is having a monster salmon run this year - you can probably get some fresh in your local grocery store just about anywhere in the US right now.)

The seasoning:

2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil

This screams for an IPA. :D
I think I am going to have to try this, real soon! The salmon and IPA and will provide feedback accordingly! :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 3rd, 2009, 7:00 pm

ALSO, Kudos on repeat performance to Wilson and CB&B on the fried chicken, GOlly I LOVE THAT STUFF and the boiling tips and recipe, especially when I add my own twist..... AND SPECIAL THANKS to TNTDevil on the TIP about putting the spice on the chicken prior to breading.... YUMMMMMMM, my LIPS are still humming (which I love, romantic side in ME :ymblushing: :D), BUT IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!!

Bjornolf - was thinking about you with the bug scar tip, but none of the veggies I picked up had any interested bugs, but the squash still turned out perfectly!

I love eating healthy! :D but I don't think this is POLE material, but question.... why does my heart beat soooo fast when I am alone?, understand WHY and WHAT is happening when I cook for someone else SPECIAL TO ME!!!!! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 3rd, 2009, 7:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Harris Teeter had flounder on sale, so I bought some for dinner this week. (Sad, live at the beach and buy frozen flounder, but it's cheap! And wild caught, don't think that really affects taste though).

2 lb. flounder filets
1/4 c. light mayonnaise
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

Makes 5-6 servings.

I was salivating, (sorry TMI), while reading about flounder (I love flounder and love CATCHING IT ALSO!!!! Yummy!)..... OMG and the old grilling technique in foil reminded me of cooking my first TUNA steaks (OMG....) on the grill with some potatoes and onions on the side, down in no other place than the Outer Banks.... It was about, ummm, LATE at night and all I remember besides how good it was, is some guy coming out of his tent and saying DAMN........ I AM HUNGRY!!!! I always fix enough for extras! :D It was AWESOME! Old tricks NEVER DIE, but I will try this also!

By the way have some of those stuffed clams as a surprise one day for MY GIRL... I hope she enjoys! :ympray:

now it occurs to me, that I still owe a recipe post on the shrimp cakes that CathyCA called me out on and I said I would post..... sorry, been crezy at work lately......
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 4th, 2009, 9:00 am

Here is a simple recipe I enjoyed at one of my welcoming home parties. You're gonna need:
- Fingerling potatoes
- Creme fraiche
- Caviar
- Chives
- Beer

Here's what you're gonna do
1. Open beer, pour into appropriate serving vessel, sip, glug, chug, what have you
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat, drizzle lightly with olive oil
3. Beer, drink it.
4. Slice fingerling potatoes to about 1/4" thick, I like to slice them a little bit thicker
5. Pan fry the fingerlings, have some beer. Check the potatoes and when they're nicely browned, flip them over.
6. Chop the chives
7. To serve:
Spoon a little creme fraiche onto the fingerling, top with caviar and chives. ENJOY!
sMiles
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 4th, 2009, 10:20 pm

The seasoning:

2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil

If I may be so bold as to make an added recommendation, I would place a heavy dash of Worcestershire sauce in with the butter/lemon juice mix.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 4th, 2009, 11:52 pm

captmojo wrote:If I may be so bold as to make an added recommendation, I would place a heavy dash of Worcestershire sauce in with the butter/lemon juice mix.
Ya know, that sounds like a pretty good suggestion. I'll try it next time and report back.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » June 6th, 2009, 10:02 am

Yesterday I fell bass ackward into a nice simple breakfast dish.
Tasty and actually healthy!

Ingredients:
Egg Beaters (or regular eggs)
Mushrooms( try three or four different varieties.... I would suggest Oyster, portabello, white, and enoki).
Equal parts of each type of mushroom (1/4 cup) slice and dice to your preference.
Garlic
Tomatoes (fresh or canned, cut/cube 'em.. only use about 1/4 cup)
Cheese (might I suggest a little mild English Cheddar?)
green Onion (option)

Saute mushrooms, onion, tomato and garlic in some olive oil for just a couple of minutes.

Add in egg beater or your 'eggage' preference.

You can make an omelet if you'd like, or just keep it naked and serve it up as it.

It's very tasty and everything works so well together.
knights68

Post by knights68 » June 6th, 2009, 10:05 am

I am rather curious, how many folks here have eaten the uummmm, giblets (heart, liver, gizzard) of the chicken or turkey before?
Are you a fan or no? How were they fixed when you ate 'em?

I have two awesome, mind blowing recipes (I am afterall, from the south!) I am tempted to share, but thought first to ask in the event some here may be grossed out at the concept.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 6th, 2009, 10:09 am

knights68 wrote:I am rather curious, how many folks here have eaten the uummmm, giblets (heart, liver, gizzard) of the chicken or turkey before?
On thanksgiving, those things become intant dog food. I hate liver, and have never bothered to try the others. Bleah. :ymtongue:
knights68

Post by knights68 » June 6th, 2009, 10:11 am

Sue71 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:If you just throw it in the trash in a closed up container, it'll be fine. I always just dump mine in the yard somewhere.
I {/quote]

Well where I am now, that would equate to either the middle of the street or the middle of a fountain. [-x

I don't know if you have resolved your oily problem yet, but I found this...
http://www.ebmud.com/wastewater/residen ... efault.htm

Hope it is of use.
There are cooking oil recycling places in CA and the such that will take it off yours hands. Apparently some of those places recycle it into fuel or other interesting stuff.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 6th, 2009, 12:33 pm

knights68 wrote:I am rather curious, how many folks here have eaten the uummmm, giblets (heart, liver, gizzard) of the chicken or turkey before?

I have two awesome, mind blowing recipes (I am afterall, from the south!) I am tempted to share, but thought first to ask in the event some here may be grossed out at the concept.
I don't eat the giblets, but I do brown them and season the pan with them when I make sauce or gravy. Mmmmmm.
Post away!!!
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 6th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Miles wrote:

I don't eat the giblets, but I do brown them and season the pan with them when I make sauce or gravy. Mmmmmm.
Post away!!!
My mom puts them in the gravy on Thanksgiving. It's good. I say go for it!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 6th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Go for it! Liver, heart, gizzard, etc.... yummmy.... let me see the recipe! You big teaze!
knights68

Giblets rice -n- gravy

Post by knights68 » June 7th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Recipe numero uno...

Ingredients include:
Chicken liver, gizzards and hearts. Yummoh!! lol
Rice
Mushrooms and whatever else you wanna add
Gravy (either store bought or home made, your choice).

(Gravy Recipe)
Brown chicken giblets in a pan with some olive oil and garlic and set giblets aside.
Do not wash out the pan because you want the drippings.
Add a cup of water, 2 beef bouillons (if you want extra beefy taste),
1 Tbspn of Onion powder,
1/3 cup flour (good for thickening... you can use corn starch instead.... 2 tbspns or Instant mashed potato flakes will work as a thickener for gravy and produces no lumps. You may need extra salt.)
& 1/4 cup butter....
mix it all around in the heated pan, making sure you get the drippings involved.Be sure to scrape up those bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. They increase the flavor of the gravy
Viola, quick and simple gravy. Put off to the side.

Take the giblets, slow cook (boil, crock pot or bake) until tender (but not tender enough to fall apart if you look at it hard. Give it an hour and a half under medium heat)

Cut the giblets into little diced chunks and set aside. Let the meat rest up.
Fix the rice as you like it best. You can use coucous if you'd like, or even go a little outside the box and use egg yolk pasta.

Once the rice/coucous/pasta is ready, drain then add the cubed giblets and the gravy. Let is slowly simmer for 15 minutes or just long enough for the flavors to meld.
Add salt (careful, it may be salty enough already) and pepper to taste and dig in!!
IF too salty, add a pinch or brown sugar or a 1/4 teaspoon vinegar.

Eat up, you're gonna love it! It is served best with biscuits on the side or, if really adventurous, serve on TOP of the biscuit(s).