Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 26th, 2010, 7:06 am

bluebeer wrote:Ommegang Cup o Kyndness--Ommegang's newest special brew this year..a belgian scotch ale. Pours a nice red brown with a foamy head. Fairly complicated tasting brew that comes together nicely. Big sweet caramel malts with some typical scotch ale smokiness. The belgian notes are there as well with bready yeast and dark fruitiness. A bit of a hoppy bite at the end though very subtle. I enjoyed this one a lot. It reminded me of a belgian dubbel with the smokiness of a scotch ale. 6.6% ABV. Ommegang is moving several of these special beers into their regular rotation and I hope this one makes the cut..
Found a caged and corked 750 ml bottle of this a few weeks ago at Wines and Wares in J'ville after a lunch with CB&B and bought it, remembering bluebeer's review. I have nothing to add to this excellent comprehensive assessment. This was shared last PM with son, cheerleader daughter and future sons-in-law #1 and #2 so it made the ale even more enjoyable. We had a mini-tasting last PM with the Pike Kilt Lifter first, this Ommegang brew in the middle and the Avery Seventeen as the closer. I believe we all retired fuller, fatter and happier.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Letter of Marquee-Rye Porter-Clipper City Brewing

This was porter weekend. A fairly traditional dark brown, clean pour with lotsa dark malts, not too much bite and a bit of mustiness from the rye malt. Five us us shared a bomber of this way after dinner Friday. IBU about 30 and the ABV was 7.8%. Worth a try/sharing experience for a reasonable price, about $7 for the 22 ouncer. Part of their Heavy Seas or Mutiny series.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2010, 10:59 pm

devildeac wrote:Letter of Marquee-Rye Porter-Clipper City Brewing

This was porter weekend. A fairly traditional dark brown, clean pour with lotsa dark malts, not too much bite and a bit of mustiness from the rye malt. Five us us shared a bomber of this way after dinner Friday. IBU about 30 and the ABV was 7.8%. Worth a try/sharing experience for a reasonable price, about $7 for the 22 ouncer. Part of their Heavy Seas or Mutiny series.
Smoke on the Water-Smoked Porter-Clipper City Brewing

Da-Da-Da, Da-Da-Da-Da, Da-Da-Da, Da-Da-Da

Or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WX_4FNoto4

:D

I believe all 5 tasters found this to be the better of the 2 porters. A bit darker brown than the rye porter and much more flavorful. There is no doubt how the barley was roasted for this ale. The smokiness is not over-powering and certainly more than a Scotch ale. Of course, it had nice mocha notes, too. IBU about 30 and the ABV was 8%. This would be great with any BBQ plates, game or chili. Well worth the $7 or $8 for the big boy and a brew aficionado would greatly appreciate/enjoy this creation
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 29th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Porter-Founder's Brewing

Dark, rich and sexy on the label. I don't qualify on any of those counts so I wonder why CB&b traded me one of these 8-| . Seriously good beer, however. Pours a dark creamy brown with mocha notes very prominent. Hops have a nice presence here with an IBU of 45. ABV perhaps a bit high for a porter at 6.5%, but not to the level of an imperial porter. This is another porter, along with Sam Smith's Taddy Porter, that is just fine with no spices or fruits added. Just darkly roasted malts and a mild hop bite. A fine selection of a brew I had never tasted.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 29th, 2010, 10:54 pm

Snow Cap-Pyramid Brewing

I am not that big a fan of Pyramid but I have bought this ale for years when we visited family in Oregon and always brought a bottle or two back. When it started becoming available here, I continued that trend. This year, I received a single from CB&B as a trader and have continued the tradition of hoisting one every fall/winter. This is a rich mahogany color which mostly closely resembles an English ESB with more hops and malts for a slightly higher IBU and ABV. This remains probably as one of my top 5 winter warmers, along with Jubilation, Old Ebenezer, Wassail Ale and Jubelale. I like these by themselves when they are lightly chilled to around 50-55 degrees. Here are the "stats" from Pyramid:

Alcohol by Volume: 7.0%

IBU: 47

Malts:
2-Row Barley, Caramel 80L, Chocolate Malt

Hops:
Nugget, Willamette, East Kent Goldings

Thanks again to CB&B for another fine selection.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » December 1st, 2010, 3:21 pm

Draft Mag's top 25 beers---some very good beer in here, but IMO a couple of very questionable picks.

http://draftmag.com/features/drafts-top ... -the-year/
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2010, 6:02 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:Draft Mag's top 25 beers---some very good beer in here, but IMO a couple of very questionable picks.

http://draftmag.com/features/drafts-top ... -the-year/
Which ones are questionable? Serious inquiry as I think I have only had 3-4 beers from that list have seen 1-2 others and have a 750 ml bottle of the Sierra Nevada nominee waiting to be savored. I'd bet the Key Lime Pie brew is one of the dubious ones. That list seems quite esoteric/unique.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » December 1st, 2010, 6:18 pm

I question two

1) I have never had it, but Key Lime Pie?--and I really like key lime pie--the real kind that is.
2) The 312 is a great session beer, but top 25??

I have not even had opportunity to savor most of these beers, but by description most seem as if they would be very good. The above two leaped out at me.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » December 1st, 2010, 9:28 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:I question two

1) I have never had it, but Key Lime Pie?--and I really like key lime pie--the real kind that is.

I have not even had opportunity to savor most of these beers, but by description most seem as if they would be very good. The above two leaped out at me.
I question a number of beers on the list as well..It's an odd grouping with both new and old beers. Westmalle is a fantastic triple but you could fill the list with "older" beers like that. And I agree with you about 312..For the new beers on the list that I've tried, I guess I can think of a other new beers that I would consider more worthy..
A few on the list that I do like though..Pursuit of Hoppiness is excellent and Sam Smith Stingo is one of my favorite beers..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 2nd, 2010, 11:41 am

bluebeer wrote:
ohioguy2 wrote:I question two

I question a number of beers on the list as well..It's an odd grouping with both new and old beers. Westmalle is a fantastic triple but you could fill the list with "older" beers like that. And I agree with you about 312..For the new beers on the list that I've tried, I guess I can think of a other new beers that I would consider more worthy..
A few on the list that I do like though..Pursuit of Hoppiness is excellent and Sam Smith Stingo is one of my favorite beers..
I thought Key Lime Pie beer might raise an eyebrow. Also agreed on the 312. Good beer but not top 25.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 2nd, 2010, 12:07 pm

Red Nose Ale-Natty Greene's Brewing

A trader from CB&B from the new NC brewery in Greensboro. A winter warmer ale meaning it's a mahogany colored pour with a bit of English hops and a ton of chocolate and caramel malts. I think the spices added are nutmeg and allspice but they are not overpowering. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is 6.8%. I like the unspiced winter ales better but this was a nice after dinner drink a couple nights ago. Good selection and a good session brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 2nd, 2010, 12:43 pm

Double Chocolate Stout-Rogue

My word this was a fine ale. This is the imperial evolution (or revolution as printed on their pint glasses) of their long-standing chocolate stout and a pretty new beer for the Rogue folks. This was a draft from Tyler's prior to the game last PM and arrived at the table a bit too cold, but, after 30 minutes of sipping, it had warmed adequately to have heavenly aromas and tastes of dark, bittersweet chocolate and a hint of expresso. It was silky smooth on the palate and one of the darker brews I have ever had. They list this as available in 750 capped bottles, too and I'd wager it will be about $12 for the big boy. Certainly worth a taste, probably as 4-6 ounces in a goblet, sharing the bottle with several friends. This was dessert last evening. The stats are below. The barkeep said 8% ABV, but, if you divide Plato by 2.5, that is another way to estimate the ABV and that is almost 9%.

10 Ingredients:
C120, Chocolate and Rogue Micro Barley Farm Risk™, Cascade and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Rolled Oats, Honey, Natural Chocolate Flavoring,

Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

Specs:
22º PLATO

50 IBU

74 AA

135º Lovibond
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2010, 7:48 am

Dead Guy Ale (draft)-Rogue

This is a maibock style ale. That means lotsa malts with medium to dark caramel flavors and breadiness. Think a slightly over-toasted, but not burned, croissant with a generous amount of dark honey flavors. The pour is a medium brown with a small head and was a fine match with the pulled pork sandwich, slaw and non-garlic fries at Tyler's pre-game. I'd guess the IBU to be about 20-30 and the ABV close to 6%. I got to keep the Rogue, "so you want a revolution" pint glass, too. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2010, 7:59 am

Autumn Ale-Breckenridge Brewing

Quite the pleasant surprise. This was a trader from CB&B and we agreed on session brews, although I snuck a Gubna and a Ten Fidy into his 6er ;) :D . He rewarded me with an extra Dead Ant and an aged Sweet Sixteen. He's a good guy :D . This is NOT your usual Oktoberfest. Deep ruby/mahogany in color, it had very little head and had light floral hop notes and plenty of dark caramel and dark cherry flavors. This would be fine with spicy/grilled fare or as a night cap as it was for me last PM :asleep: . Here are the stats/facts from the brewers themselves, though I thought it a bit "thin" to call it an old ale:

Old Ale

Flavor: Full body caramel malt flavor with medium hop character

Yeast: Top Fermenting Ale Yeast

Malts: Two Row Pale, Munich, Roasted Barley, Chocolate

Hops: Perle, Hallertau

Color: Deep Mahogony

Bitterness Units: 21

Alcohol ByVolume: 6.7%

Alcohol By Weight: 5.36%
Availability: September - October

Definitely worth a single for yourself or a 6er to share/trade with friends =p~ .
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 3rd, 2010, 2:24 pm

Lavabe wrote:Discovery Channel at 10 Eastern tomorrow night launches its new series, BREWMASTERS. The promos feature DOGFISHHEAD.
http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-a ... ry-channel
This is MUST SEE TV!! :D :-BD :-BD :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2010, 9:34 pm

devildeac wrote:Ten Fidy-Oskar Blues-This is a viscous, smooth and mildly oily Russian imperial stout and a really, really good one. Nearly black and opaque that pours with a small dark tan one-fingered head. Lots of black and chocolate malts with flaked oats (I cheated and looked at their web site) with very modest bitterness despite an IBU of a monstrous 95. The ABV is 9.5% and it tastes like a shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted, reminding me very much of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Even more amazingly, this marvelous brew comes in a 4 pack of cans. It reminds me an awful lot of the BBCS, one of my favorite all-time beers for the last 10+ years. Serve this in a pint glass at cellar temps and enjoy your sipping for an hour or so. Fabulous by itself, with some ordinary chocolate desserts like cookies or pound cake, or with something even more decadent like a chocolate torte or flourless death-by-chocolate type cake. I think 8-x and CB&B each got one of these and anxiously await their thoughts. Hope rmd has savored a couple of these, too.

Found the 2010 version a couple weeks ago and am finishing one now. The review is essentially the same except this year's version whacks your palate at an ABV of 10.5%. Two for me, 1 for CB&B and 1 for the little boy who lives in the lane, err, DC. If you see a 4 pack of this, buy it. Outstanding beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 6th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Winter Ale-Smuttynose

Make mine a Smutty! Their web site says it's made with a Trappist yeast and made to resemble a Belgian dubbel but to me it tasted more in-between a typical winter warmer and a dubbel with darkly roasted malts, for a toffee-like taste and aroma, and very mild hop resin tastes. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is 5.1%, which is a bit low for either a winter warmer or a dubbel. This is probably more like a darker variety of an ESB. Would be fine with any BBQ entrees or chili and perhaps even smoked fish or shellfish, particulary oysters. A new brew to me and received as a trader from CB&B. Thank you.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 6th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Extra Pale Ale-Flying Fish Brewing

From NJ and now available in NC. A trader from my drug rep buddy. This is a pale yellow pour with a modest head that has aromas of lemon grass and a hint of orange. IBU are estimated at 20-30 and the ABV is 4.8%, A good brew with grilled chicken or fish and some fruity salsa. Worth a single from Total Wine but I like their Dubbel better.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 6th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Saison Du Buff--Dogfish Head....but only sorta.
I bought this because the ingredients were intriguing...parsley, thyme, sage, and rosemary. But the story behind it is even more intriguing. Three breweries, each brewing the same recipe. Now I've got to find the other 2 (Victory and Stone are the other two.) This is something that is unique in business to craft brewing, the collaboration furthuring the experience of the beer. I doubt we'll see a Budweiser-Coors brew anytime soon.
The beer itself by the way is excellent, smooth tasting with lots of flavor. Different flavor, very unique. I don't really detect any of the herbs that went into it, but I'm guessing that's because they are slight and in unison...they work really well together. The overall quality is it's smoothness. I could sip on this all day long (as long as it were a weekend!). Very low bitterness, but lots of mild flavor to play on the taste buds. As I stated, I can't pin down any flavor in particular, it's unique. Buy it and try it! Or buy them and try them!
Here's the background of the beer....
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... u-BUFF.htm
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 7th, 2010, 8:39 am

devildeac wrote:Extra Pale Ale-Flying Fish Brewing

From NJ and now available in NC. A trader from my drug rep buddy. This is a pale yellow pour with a modest head that has aromas of lemon grass and a hint of orange. IBU are estimated at 20-30 and the ABV is 4.8%, A good brew with grilled chicken or fish and some fruity salsa. Worth a single from Total Wine but I like their Dubbel better.
Check your "regular" aol email if you haven't this morning.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com