Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: William and Kate, at last

Post by TillyGalore » November 16th, 2010, 6:10 pm

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Sorry to burst your balloon, but Miss Middleton will not be Princess Kate. In terms of a "Princess" title at best she'd be Princess William of Wales.

It is more likely the Queen will give Wills a duchy or some other title, and Catherine would gain the female title when she marries Wills including an HRH.

I belong to a royal fans forum and have been reading the thread about all this today. I'm so happy for them I could :happy-bouncyblue: .

Actually, it all depends on what title he is given - hers comes from that. It is possible for him to be Prince Whatever thus making her Princess Whatever.
There isn't a princedom to be had. As Wills is not THE Prince of Wales, I'm pretty sure Catherine's official title would be Princess William of Wales. But as I mentioned above, I seriously doubt that will be her primary title as Prince William will likely be given a duchy thus they would be Duke and Duchess of __________.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 16th, 2010, 7:10 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Sorry to burst your balloon, but Miss Middleton will not be Princess Kate. In terms of a "Princess" title at best she'd be Princess William of Wales.

It is more likely the Queen will give Wills a duchy or some other title, and Catherine would gain the female title when she marries Wills including an HRH.

I belong to a royal fans forum and have been reading the thread about all this today. I'm so happy for them I could :happy-bouncyblue: .

Actually, it all depends on what title he is given - hers comes from that. It is possible for him to be Prince Whatever thus making her Princess Whatever.
There isn't a princedom to be had. As Wills is not THE Prince of Wales, I'm pretty sure Catherine's official title would be Princess William of Wales. But as I mentioned above, I seriously doubt that will be her primary title as Prince William will likely be given a duchy thus they would be Duke and Duchess of __________.
She'd be Princess as soon as Charles ascended the throne, would she not? When William takes over as Prince of Wales?
-- DukeUsul
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 16th, 2010, 7:17 pm

DukeUsul wrote:She'd be Princess as soon as Charles ascended the throne, would she not? When William takes over as Prince of Wales?
No, not as soon as Charles ascends throne, as soon as Charles crowns William Prince of Wales. While most of the Charles's titles pass automatically to William, the PoW title reverts back to the monarchy, who then crowns the new PoW.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 16th, 2010, 9:09 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: Don't be plucking my feathers!

Would you prefer they were fucking your pleather?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 16th, 2010, 9:18 pm

TillyGalore wrote: There isn't a princedom to be had. As Wills is not THE Prince of Wales, I'm pretty sure Catherine's official title would be Princess William of Wales. But as I mentioned above, I seriously doubt that will be her primary title as Prince William will likely be given a duchy thus they would be Duke and Duchess of __________.

Sure there is. The Queen bestows the titles and she can make him Prince of whatever she wants. The Prince of Wales is, traditionally but not always, the first in line to the throne (William will take that title when the Queen dies and, unfortunately, his father becomes King) but that isn't the only princely title that exists, or that can exist. They will likely be given a Duchy, but the monarch can bestow upon William any title she wishes so yes, it is possible for him to be made Prince Whatever. There are tons of princely titles that haven't been used in forever and others that have been used recently. For example, prior to becoming the Prince of Wales, Charles was Prince Charles of Edinburgh and that title could be given to William thus making Kate Princess Catherine.

And Kate would never be Princess William of anything, she would be Princess Catherine of whatever his title was (remember Diana was not Princess Charles, she was Diana, Princess of Wales).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » November 16th, 2010, 9:31 pm

This Slate article suggests that on the day of his wedding the Queen will likely make him Duke of ________ (likely Cambridge) and that when he does, Kate will be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Catherine, Duchess of _______ (likely Cambridge).

http://www.slate.com/id/2275116/

Tilly, have the Royal folks on your bulletin board refuted that suggestion?
-- DukeUsul
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 17th, 2010, 10:20 am

Colchar,
Per this web link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forms_of_a ... om#Royalty, the "Sovereign's Son's Son's Wife shall carry the title HRH The Princess John of London, for example. So it is possible Catherine will be referred to HRH The Princess William of Wales.

There is a 99.9% chance (never say never) HM will give William a dukedom, possibly Cambridge. I would imagine the only way William will not get a dukedom on the day of his marriage, is if HM is incapacitated.

Dukeusel, I haven't read of the scenario presented on the royal forum. However, as Catherine is not a princess in her own right, nor is she marrying THE heir to throne (Wills is 2nd in line, but not considered the heir), the only way Catherine can be referred to as Princess Catherine is if the queen grants her the title, which again probably will happen. After all, she will be the future queen.

Again, in all likelihood Catherine will be given her own princess title and Wills will get a dukedom, thus Catherine will be HRH The Princess Catherine Duchess of ________. But, it is not 100% as you never know what can happen.

Course none of the above will prevent the press from referring to Catherine as Princess Catherine or Princess Kate.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 17th, 2010, 10:27 am

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: There isn't a princedom to be had. As Wills is not THE Prince of Wales, I'm pretty sure Catherine's official title would be Princess William of Wales. But as I mentioned above, I seriously doubt that will be her primary title as Prince William will likely be given a duchy thus they would be Duke and Duchess of __________.

Sure there is. The Queen bestows the titles and she can make him Prince of whatever she wants. The Prince of Wales is, traditionally but not always, the first in line to the throne (William will take that title when the Queen dies and, unfortunately, his father becomes King) but that isn't the only princely title that exists, or that can exist. They will likely be given a Duchy, but the monarch can bestow upon William any title she wishes so yes, it is possible for him to be made Prince Whatever. There are tons of princely titles that haven't been used in forever and others that have been used recently. For example, prior to becoming the Prince of Wales, Charles was Prince Charles of Edinburgh and that title could be given to William thus making Kate Princess Catherine.

And Kate would never be Princess William of anything, she would be Princess Catherine of whatever his title was (remember Diana was not Princess Charles, she was Diana, Princess of Wales).
Colchar, where are you getting your info?
DevilWearsPrada
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by DevilWearsPrada » November 17th, 2010, 10:47 am

Good looking couple!!! Why did it take Wills 9 years to propose to the beautiful Kate? They will be 30 years old next year. He should have done this 5 years ago.

Kate is very beautiful and stunning. She reminds me of Katie Holmes. Kate, with beautiful skin and dimples, and so tall, and elegant. She has always been quite and seems humble, and is all about Wills. At least they truly love each other, and have lived together for years.

Charles never loved Diana. Arranged marriage. Charles loved the frumpy, and not so pretty Camilla, but he loves her.

Here here, and cheers for Wills and Kate!!! It will time for Kate to start getting preggers and having an "HEIR and a couple of SPARES".
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 17th, 2010, 12:03 pm

DevilWearsPrada wrote:Good looking couple!!! Why did it take Wills 9 years to propose to the beautiful Kate? They will be 30 years old next year. He should have done this 5 years ago.

Kate is very beautiful and stunning. She reminds me of Katie Holmes. Kate, with beautiful skin and dimples, and so tall, and elegant. She has always been quite and seems humble, and is all about Wills. At least they truly love each other, and have lived together for years.

Charles never loved Diana. Arranged marriage. Charles loved the frumpy, and not so pretty Camilla, but he loves her.

Here here, and cheers for Wills and Kate!!! It will time for Kate to start getting preggers and having an "HEIR and a couple of SPARES".
They were asked about the long wait in their interview last night. William said he wanted Kate to see what it's like behind the scenes with the royal family, in she "wanted to back out" before it's too late. He specifically mentioned not wanting to make the same mistakes that have been made before. He obviously does not want what happened to his parents to happen to him.

I think this was a very good decision as from what I've read and seen, royal life is not easy.

Shoot I'm not even royal (except in my fantasies) and I've waited to marry to make sure my prince is in fact MY PRINCE.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 17th, 2010, 1:47 pm

TillyGalore wrote:They were asked about the long wait in their interview last night. William said he wanted Kate to see what it's like behind the scenes with the royal family, in she "wanted to back out" before it's too late. He specifically mentioned not wanting to make the same mistakes that have been made before. He obviously does not want what happened to his parents to happen to him.

I think this was a very good decision as from what I've read and seen, royal life is not easy.

Shoot I'm not even royal (except in my fantasies) and I've waited to marry to make sure my prince is in fact MY PRINCE.
Not just his parents, but Fergie & Andrew didn't do so well either. I think he's taking his cue from his Uncle Edward - he and Sophie dated for a long time, and were older (than Di's 20) when they married. Kate has a much better idea what she's getting into than Di did...I think she 'gets' it. Better yet...Wils seems to genuinely love her.(another plus of Charles "find yourselsf a fertile young woman or else" and Diana). I for one would NOT want any part of that life.

As an aside, I don't know that Charles will ever be King...given the longevity in his mother's family...and she seems in no hurry to abdicate in favor of her son. She's 5 years or so shy of reigning longer than Queen Victoria...maybe she's record hunting :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 17th, 2010, 4:47 pm

I dunno. Charles is no spring chicken. He could croak before the queen, leaving Wills in the driver's seat.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 18th, 2010, 1:45 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
colchar wrote:

Colchar, where are you getting your info?

From years of studying British history. There are all kinds of titles that are vacant or dormant that could be given to William. Some of the dormant ones have been used, gone dormant, been resurrected, and gone dormant again several times over the centuries. The title Duke of Manchester is one such title. Although it is in use now there have been several instances since its creation in which it wasn't being used only to be resurrected later.

While the Queen will likely follow royal protocol she isn't bound to do so and has the ultimate authority over the granting of titles. Even when the government grants titles (such a life peerages, a tool so often used by the useless Labour governments of the last several years) the Queen has final say. She never interferes but could if she so chose. Because ultimate authority lies with her, she can grant any title she wishes.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 18th, 2010, 1:50 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
They were asked about the long wait in their interview last night. William said he wanted Kate to see what it's like behind the scenes with the royal family, in she "wanted to back out" before it's too late. He specifically mentioned not wanting to make the same mistakes that have been made before. He obviously does not want what happened to his parents to happen to him.

I would argue that what happened to his parents happened because his father is a turd (just like his own father) and, more importantly, because he never actually loved Diana. I don't wish ill on anyone but I'd love to see the Queen outlive Charles so that he couldn't ascend to the throne and that it could go straight to William as I think he and Kate have the potential to reinvigorate the monarchy. I also do not ever, ever, ever, ever want to see that worthless bitch Camilla be Queen. If Charles does become King I pray Parliament will enact a law barring her from ascending to that title. If they don't and she becomes Queen it will turn me off the monarchy forever.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 18th, 2010, 1:56 pm

windsor wrote:
As an aside, I don't know that Charles will ever be King...given the longevity in his mother's family...and she seems in no hurry to abdicate in favor of her son. She's 5 years or so shy of reigning longer than Queen Victoria...maybe she's record hunting :D

No hurry to abdicate?!? Of course she isn't as they do not abdicate. They are monarch until the day they die. Edward VIII is the only monarch in the entire history of the British monarchy to have abdicated voluntarily. Plus, a monarch could only abdicate if the act was agreed to by Parliament and all sixteen Commonwealth Realms.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 18th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I dunno. Charles is no spring chicken. He could croak before the queen, leaving Wills in the driver's seat.
Love, Ima

And some of us would love to see that happen. Not to wish ill on him but I do not want him to ascend to the throne.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » November 18th, 2010, 3:31 pm

colchar, your posts remind me of one of my favorite Kids in the Hall sketches:

-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 18th, 2010, 4:51 pm

DukeUsul wrote:colchar, your posts remind me of one of my favorite Kids in the Hall sketches:

I'd never seen that as I could never stand the Kids in the Hall. My brother loved them but I could never fathom why.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 19th, 2010, 2:32 pm

It looks like that piece of shit Prince Charles is angling for that whore Camilla to become Queen when he takes the throne. Why am I not at all surprised?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -wife.html
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 19th, 2010, 2:37 pm

colchar wrote:It looks like that piece of shit Prince Charles is angling for that whore Camilla to become Queen when he takes the throne. Why am I not at all surprised?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -wife.html
Camilla looks like Mr. Ed.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith