Student lack of attendance at today's football game

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Student lack of attendance at today's football game

Post by Lavabe » November 9th, 2010, 11:06 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm disappointed in the student's reaction to this. An underage (under 18 in fact) brother of a student is left behind passed out in a portapotty, only to be found by security and then sent off with a medical team, and the response to the TG cancellation is a finger flip to the administration and a call to have their own TG on the quad. Instead of realizing there is a problem, they want to fight back...still with no intention of going to the football game of course. It's disheartening to read the student comments in the the Chronicle article and on the Facebook page they've created. Almost 1300 students have posted they will attend the unsanctioned tailgate, but not even 50 can make their way to a football game..very sad.
Unfortunately, well stated.

Uncle Terry isn't with us, but someone with his stature exists on campus.

I feel that it's time for Uncle K and Coach Cut to make an avuncular statement, probably with football players as well, expressing what the actions of these students are doing to the football team, Duke Athletics, and the university overall. Not insulting, but a fresh wake-up call.

Now of course, if this had been an Ozzie-led athletic administration, we wouldn't have gotten to this point. :Clap:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilWearsPrada
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by DevilWearsPrada » November 9th, 2010, 12:01 pm

Has the Duke undergrad been suspended for bringing their young teenage sibling to Tailgate? And not babysitting or even caring what happened to their brother/sister? Where's the family love, here? The young teenager probably only had a McDonalds biscuit or EggMcMuffin, if that for breakfast. Before going to Tailgate with Big Brother/Sister.

The parents/guardians of the Duke Student............. imagine what they are feeling? Does their older child just have no common sense and left the youngster to fend with the WOLVES? The keys to the car, spending money, any extra luxuries would be halted. And go get a job!!! That would be for starters to the Duke student, if I was the parent. Not to mention, some serious counseling!!!

NOW....... its all over the news.......... Showing the port-a-pottys and Duke cancelling Tailgate. That child could have died.

IS there anyone at the Blue Zone tailgate, checking Student IDS............ or checking Guests IDS for their age???
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 9th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Robbie, thanks for sharing your letter to Larry Moneta.

This is all very troubling.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 1:51 pm

What's even more troubling is that the 14-year old kid was the brother of one of my fellow dorm-mates. She had been talking about him coming just a few days ago.

WTF.
Class of 2014
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 9th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Rolvix wrote:What's even more troubling is that the 14-year old kid was the brother of one of my fellow dorm-mates. She had been talking about him coming just a few days ago.

WTF.
That's really scary. What possessed her not to keep an eye on him?
Iron Duke #1471997.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 2:40 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Rolvix wrote:What's even more troubling is that the 14-year old kid was the brother of one of my fellow dorm-mates. She had been talking about him coming just a few days ago.

WTF.
That's really scary. What possessed her not to keep an eye on him?
I'm not sure. I'll try my best to find out though...
Class of 2014
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 9th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Hey Robbie, I know a reporter for the N&O who would love to talk to you. PM me your contact info if you are interested in being interviewed.

Dave
-- DukeUsul
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 9th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Robbie, I can't think of a kid I've met in ages (other than Native) who possesses such affability, smarts, dedication and fearlessness all wrapped up in one. Just when I was thinking "maybe I'd rather not have my grandson come to Duke next year, after all" you step up and restore my faith.

Bless your heart ....... truly!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 9th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Robbie,

Thank you for being you. You represent the University well and will go far in life. I'm thankful I "know" you - even if it is just through a message board and one brief face-to-face at the Alabama game.

Barbara
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 9th, 2010, 4:20 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Hey Robbie, I know a reporter for the N&O who would love to talk to you. PM me your contact info if you are interested in being interviewed.

Dave
Robbie, I would think twice, and then a third time, before you talk to a reporter. In fact, you should talk to Cathy and perhaps the University BEFORE you talk to a reporter.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 4:31 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Hey Robbie, I know a reporter for the N&O who would love to talk to you. PM me your contact info if you are interested in being interviewed.

Dave
Robbie, I would think twice, and then a third time, before you talk to a reporter. In fact, you should talk to Cathy and perhaps the University BEFORE you talk to a reporter.
I think that's some good advice, Ozzie. I will definitely speak with both Cathy and the University before I consider speaking with the reporter.

And I really appreciate all of the praise everyone, but there are others like me. It seems like we only hear from the ones on the other side of the argument though.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 4:32 pm

And how would you advise contacting the University about that?? Mr. Moneta has yet to respond to my email, although I'm sure he's overwhelmed at the moment.
Class of 2014
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » November 9th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Rolvix wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Dave
I think that's some good advice, Ozzie. I will definitely speak with both Cathy and the University before I consider speaking with the reporter.

And I really appreciate all of the praise everyone, but there are others like me. It seems like we only hear from the ones on the other side of the argument though.
Oh and let me be clear I have not directed the reporter friend to CTN nor has he read your letter you posted here (unless he found it on his own). He asked me if I knew anyone interested in being interviewed and I told him I knew of a current student who had great thoughts on the matter. Just let me know if you're interested, I won't pass anything along to him without permission.
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 9th, 2010, 4:43 pm

Rolvix wrote:And how would you advise contacting the University about that?? Mr. Moneta has yet to respond to my email, although I'm sure he's overwhelmed at the moment.
I'd walk over to his office and plop myself down in front of his secretary, asking to see him and explain who you are and why you'd like to see him, also explaining that you sent him an email that has gone unanswered so far (bring a printed copy with you). All in a nice, pleasing tone of voice with a smile on your face, which you always have anyway :) .

Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 4:58 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Rolvix wrote:And how would you advise contacting the University about that?? Mr. Moneta has yet to respond to my email, although I'm sure he's overwhelmed at the moment.
I'd walk over to his office and plop myself down in front of his secretary, asking to see him and explain who you are and why you'd like to see him, also explaining that you sent him an email that has gone unanswered so far (bring a printed copy with you). All in a nice, pleasing tone of voice with a smile on your face, which you always have anyway :) .
Haha, well I might go do that right now instead of studying! If I can find an E-Print station that works...
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Sadly the Office of Student Affairs closed at 5pm. Just too late. I emailed Larry Moneta again, this time requesting a timely response if possible. Hopefully he answers me sometime in the next few hours...
Class of 2014
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Rolvix wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Dave

I second this advice. You talking to the reporter, who in this state, with Duke involved, is highly unlikely to present anything positive about the students and/or the university. (see LAX, 2006)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 9th, 2010, 6:18 pm

You DEFinitely rock, Rob! Glad to hear you say there are more like you. I know Mike would be right in the trenches with you if he were there already. Proud to know ya.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 9th, 2010, 6:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I'd walk over to his office and plop myself down in front of his secretary, asking to see him and explain who you are and why you'd like to see him,
By the way, this is how I met with Tallman Trask, attempting to get an official interview for the Athletic Director's job way back when Tom Butters retired. After waiting for almost 2 hours for Trask, he talked to me for about a half an hour, but I never got the formal interview.

allen

Post by allen » November 9th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Lavabe wrote: Allen: were you referring to this in your line that I quoted?
No. And that just shows how predictable it was.