Student lack of attendance at today's football game

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Student lack of attendance at today's football game

Post by ArkieDukie » November 8th, 2010, 11:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:That's 150% awesome Robbie. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
What he said. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 8th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Great job Robbie. Your attitude will make a difference. Thanks. :duke:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2010, 12:01 am

By the way...what was the incident with the student that prompted this?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 12:07 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:By the way...what was the incident with the student that prompted this?
I have no idea and have heard nothing about it. As soon as I find out I'll let you know.

But you know what has me really scared about all of it?
This:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=175900589094131

For those of you who don't have facebook this is a link to an event called the "Main Quad Throwdown".

The description is: "Tailgate is broadening its horizons."

And it happens to take place during the football game on the main quad. Great.

Seriously, there are times when a student/individual should exercise their right to rebel and make a statement, but this is NOT one of those times. I mean, of course there is going to be some backlash, but this could get really ugly. Two hours after the announcement the event already has 900 confirmed "attendees". This could turn into something really ugly, not only for the students but for the image of the university. How do you stop this from happening without causing a huge scene that could easily turn into a riot with a bunch of "entitled" drunk students??!

And what about the Blue Devil Walk?! What will this do to the morale of the players to see this going on (if it somehow happens) as they walk by?

Ugh.
Class of 2014
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 9th, 2010, 12:14 am

Robbie, you have stepped up to be the leader I alluded to yesterday! Congratulations, Mr. Future President! :9f: I hope that Mr. Moneta takes full advantage of your offer (not of you) and puts you to work! It'll look great on your resume' in a few years too!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2010, 12:17 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:By the way...what was the incident with the student that prompted this?
Found answer to my own question.
A young person under age 18, who was a guest of a student, was found unconscious in a Port-A-Potty at the end of the Nov. 6 Tailgate, said Duke Police Chief John Dailey. Emergency Medical Services were called and the teenager was rushed to the Duke Emergency Department, Dailey said. A contract security officer found the teenager after most students had left Tailgate, Dailey added
http://dukechronicle.com/article/admini ... arrassment
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 9th, 2010, 12:22 am

Allen: were you referring to this in your line that I quoted?

But frankly, as for tailgate, until the discussion on this thread, I had never heard of it.

Rolvix: You are sounding more and more like you are rapidly taking in all they are teaching about public health. GOOD WORK!!

CB&B: Thanks for the info about what has taken place. I am VERY glad that the original fb entry has been taken down. Hopefully everyone can get on with the real business of figuring out how to get better student attendance at FBall games.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2010, 12:24 am

After reading the comments in the article, it appears that some student left their drunk 14 year old brother behind. Way to go.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 9th, 2010, 12:28 am

Rolvix wrote:I mean, of course there is going to be some backlash, but this could get really ugly. Two hours after the announcement the event already has 900 confirmed "attendees". This could turn into something really ugly, not only for the students but for the image of the university. How do you stop this from happening without causing a huge scene that could easily turn into a riot with a bunch of "entitled" drunk students??!

And what about the Blue Devil Walk?! What will this do to the morale of the players to see this going on (if it somehow happens) as they walk by?

Ugh.
It's times like these when I REALLY appreciate having gone to a Division III university for grad school, and a high-ranking research university (sans football) for work right out of PhD.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 9th, 2010, 12:35 am

CathyCA wrote:BTW, when I was at Duke, the football players were among the coolest people on campus.
Umm, we weren't that far apart as to when we attended alma mater, and I don't remember ANYTHING like this. :-\ :-o :veryconfused:

Then again I was a nerd. :-B With a bad GPA. :-B :sigh:

I'll consult with ILJ. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

Rolvix wrote:And my respone to Mr. Moneta:

Dear Mr. Moneta,

It is tragic that it takes dangerous incidents to catalyze the change of something that could easily be considered one of the most dangerous activities "approved" by the administration. As a freshman in the class of 2014 and a lifelong Duke fan I fully support the action you and your fellow administrators are taking to shift this "culture" towards a safer, spirit-focused activity. There is no need for students to be participating in this event, partially because there are plenty of other opportunities for undergraduates to "express themselves" over the weekend, and partially because it has almost completely destroyed any football student fan base.

As a resident of North Carolina, someone who participated in a student led "tailgating club" in high school, and someone who has frequently attended both ECU and UNC football games/tailgates over the past four years, I was shocked to learn what a "Duke Tailgate" entailed. I've had many discussions with both friends at other universities and alumni of Duke about the fact that there is no legitimate tailgate at Duke. I would absolutely love to cook out for three or four hours before a game, eat, share quality time with my friends, and get pumped up for the game at hand. Duke football is changing. I know that students don't necessarily realize that yet, but as a long-time fan and follower I can tell a significant difference in the football program now that Coach Cutcliffe is here.

If you need any advice or help from an undergraduate student who would look to promote a good ol' fashion tailgate, I would love to be of service. I'm not particularly sure what you would need me to do, nor that you would need me at all, but I could suggest ideas or even perhaps help plan tailgating events. I know that you will be receiving dozens - perhaps hundreds of emails criticizing your decision to cancel tailgate, but you should know that your decision is supported at least by a few.

Thank you for making a step in the right direction,
Rolvix (Robbie) Patterson
Well written. Thanks for sharing.

^:)^ :clap:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2010, 7:40 am

Rolvix wrote:
I have no idea and have heard nothing about it. As soon as I find out I'll let you know.

But you know what has me really scared about all of it?
This:

For those of you who don't have facebook this is a link to an event called the "Main Quad Throwdown".

The description is: "Tailgate is broadening its horizons."

And it happens to take place during the football game on the main quad. Great.

Seriously, there are times when a student/individual should exercise their right to rebel and make a statement, but this is NOT one of those times. I mean, of course there is going to be some backlash, but this could get really ugly. Two hours after the announcement the event already has 900 confirmed "attendees". This could turn into something really ugly, not only for the students but for the image of the university. How do you stop this from happening without causing a huge scene that could easily turn into a riot with a bunch of "entitled" drunk students??!

Ugh.
I don't have a FB account but it appears that administration needs to know about this. Soon. Sounds like it could get real ugly.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 9th, 2010, 8:29 am

devildeac wrote:I don't have a FB account but it appears that administration needs to know about this. Soon. Sounds like it could get real ugly.
Sounds like an avuncular letter is overdue.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 9th, 2010, 8:50 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:I don't have a FB account but it appears that administration needs to know about this. Soon. Sounds like it could get real ugly.
Sounds like an avuncular letter is overdue.
Yes.

And if my kid were a student at Duke (and he's not because he's never studied), I would tell him to keep his name off of that Facebook group. Don't think for one minute that there is not some lawyer somewhere having her paralegal copy that Facebook page as it evolves, anticipating one big fat cluster f---.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 9th, 2010, 8:53 am

I have an idea which I've emailed to other friends who will be tailgating Saturday at Duke: If you know any undergraduates, invite them to your tailgate party Saturday. Offer an alternative to what may unfold in the "event" being promoted on Facebook.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 9th, 2010, 8:59 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I have an idea which I've emailed to other friends who will be tailgating Saturday at Duke: If you know any undergraduates, invite them to your tailgate party Saturday. Offer an alternative to what may unfold in the "event" being promoted on Facebook.
Great idea!

Oh, Robbie! Would you like to bring some of your friends with you to Brunchgate on Saturday morning?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 9th, 2010, 9:19 am

Rolvix wrote:And my respone to Mr. Moneta:

Dear Mr. Moneta,

It is tragic that it takes dangerous incidents to catalyze the change of something that could easily be considered one of the most dangerous activities "approved" by the administration. As a freshman in the class of 2014 and a lifelong Duke fan I fully support the action you and your fellow administrators are taking to shift this "culture" towards a safer, spirit-focused activity. There is no need for students to be participating in this event, partially because there are plenty of other opportunities for undergraduates to "express themselves" over the weekend, and partially because it has almost completely destroyed any football student fan base.

As a resident of North Carolina, someone who participated in a student led "tailgating club" in high school, and someone who has frequently attended both ECU and UNC football games/tailgates over the past four years, I was shocked to learn what a "Duke Tailgate" entailed. I've had many discussions with both friends at other universities and alumni of Duke about the fact that there is no legitimate tailgate at Duke. I would absolutely love to cook out for three or four hours before a game, eat, share quality time with my friends, and get pumped up for the game at hand. Duke football is changing. I know that students don't necessarily realize that yet, but as a long-time fan and follower I can tell a significant difference in the football program now that Coach Cutcliffe is here.

If you need any advice or help from an undergraduate student who would look to promote a good ol' fashion tailgate, I would love to be of service. I'm not particularly sure what you would need me to do, nor that you would need me at all, but I could suggest ideas or even perhaps help plan tailgating events. I know that you will be receiving dozens - perhaps hundreds of emails criticizing your decision to cancel tailgate, but you should know that your decision is supported at least by a few.

Thank you for making a step in the right direction,
Rolvix (Robbie) Patterson
:spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork:
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2010, 10:00 am

I'm disappointed in the student's reaction to this. An underage (under 18 in fact) brother of a student is left behind passed out in a portapotty, only to be found by security and then sent off with a medical team, and the response to the TG cancellation is a finger flip to the administration and a call to have their own TG on the quad. Instead of realizing there is a problem, they want to fight back...still with no intention of going to the football game of course. It's disheartening to read the student comments in the the Chronicle article and on the Facebook page they've created. Almost 1300 students have posted they will attend the unsanctioned tailgate, but not even 50 can make their way to a football game..very sad.

http://dukechronicle.com/node/153620/talk

http://dukechronicle.com/article/adm...-embarrassment

As for DitbD's idea, I posted similar thoughts OY, stating that there is already a great tailgating atmosphere on Devil's Alley and in K-Ville. It would be great if the university could set up some grills for the students to go along with stage. They really could enhance the atmosphere. (As long as they don't drink themselves stupid, mabye being mingled with the public they'd have more self-control.)
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2010, 10:30 am

CathyCA wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I have an idea which I've emailed to other friends who will be tailgating Saturday at Duke: If you know any undergraduates, invite them to your tailgate party Saturday. Offer an alternative to what may unfold in the "event" being promoted on Facebook.
Great idea!

Oh, Robbie! Would you like to bring some of your friends with you to Brunchgate on Saturday morning?
I would love to! I'll try to bring as many of my friends as I can.

My name is actually on that event page, just under the "Not Attending" sectionl
Class of 2014
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 9th, 2010, 10:38 am

Rolvix wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Great idea!

I would love to! I'll try to bring as many of my friends as I can.

My name is actually on that event page, just under the "Not Attending" sectionl
I saw that. I'm glad you're "not attending" their event.

I look forward to seeing you on Saturday. Let us know how many friends you think you'll be bringing so that we can plan accordingly.

~ James Naismith