Student lack of attendance at today's football game

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Student lack of attendance at today's football game

Post by lawgrad91 » November 6th, 2010, 11:48 pm

Lavabe wrote:I believe we have a student member of CTN whose perspective might provide some insight, whether or not he attended.
I think he said OY that he was on a class trip today, Lavabe, but his insights would be helpful nonetheless.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 7th, 2010, 12:16 am

Lavabe wrote:Gulp. I'll be the contrarian. :-s :-s :-ss
I'll join you.

Duke students are just like anyone else -- they may or may not care about football. They have things to do with their lives, that may involve going to a game, or it may involve drinking with friends instead. Whether or not drinking away a Saturday is something important is your opinion, but may not be theirs.

Do football student athletes go to every Duke student play, a capella concert, or dance recital to support their fellow Dukies? Students caring about other students' activities happens when those activities are interesting. Many undergraduates happen to find basketball very interesting, and are willing to make sacrifices to attend BBall games. I think a collegian who is really passionate about watching great football, and is willing to do things like camp out for football games, is probably at an SEC or Big 12 school. Face it, until Duke starts winning regularly, it's just not going to get students who are coming to Duke to cheer on the football team.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 7th, 2010, 6:52 am

Lavabe wrote:I believe we have a student member of CTN whose perspective might provide some insight, whether or not he attended.
Rolvix/Cell-R has a very thoughtful post on DBR that is well worth reading.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2010, 8:24 am

Until yesterday, I never heard of the Tailgate for the undergrads. Is it university/athletic department-sponsored? If there are loads of students just hurling drunk, it sounds like a public policy/public health issue waiting to explode. That HAS to be frustrating, but that still doesn't excuse the athlete's comment.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 7th, 2010, 8:48 am

In his post game press conference Cutcliffe both lauded the fans that were there and called out those that weren't. He said the loyal fans were there, and heard during the game. He loved the noise that we made, (which by the way is extremely audible during the game winning drive.."Let's Go Duke!" comes in over both the tv and Bob Harris' mikes beautifully). He also said it's disappointing to not see the students there, and said they missed a great football game. As far as Huffman's comments..the "hate" part caught me off guard, but I don't find an issue with it. He's not playing pro ball, and he's not calling out the general fan population..he's calling out his classmates!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 7th, 2010, 8:55 am

lawgrad91 wrote:My seats are right next to the student section, and there were no students in their section, except for the band and a few random kids.

It seems like 2 years ago the Athletic Department gave out stuff to the students every game, and then gave prizes to the dorm or frat house (etc.) that had the most students in attendance. Anyone know why that was stopped? It seemed like there were tons of students in attendance then.

Having been a poor college student at Duke, I would think the student would do a lot for the possibility of free food, a Wii for their dorm (that is the gift I particularly remember), etc.
There were things given away to students at earlier games this year. Some would check in long enough to get the give away and then leave, just like they did last year. At least they weren't sliding past our tailgate tents giving a live demonstration of the dry heaves yesterday...... maybe a plus for the weather conditions?

I think your idea regarding free food might work better than the blinking horns or other giveaways.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2010, 8:58 am

The more great games there are, the more the students will start attending. I went to almost every game as a grad student, and the place was packed when the team was winning. I was at the infamous game when we upset Clemson; they were a top 10 team at the time (1988 or 89). Students started showing up in the 4th quarter when the word got out that we were winning. People who had just shown up stormed the field and took down the goal posts. After that game it was difficult to get a seat in the student section.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 7th, 2010, 9:01 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:In his post game press conference Cutcliffe both lauded the fans that were there and called out those that weren't. He said the loyal fans were there, and heard during the game. He loved the noise that we made, (which by the way is extremely audible during the game winning drive.."Let's Go Duke!" comes in over both the tv and Bob Harris' mikes beautifully). He also said it's disappointing to not see the students there, and said they missed a great football game. As far as Huffman's comments..the "hate" part caught me off guard, but I don't find an issue with it. He's not playing pro ball, and he's not calling out the general fan population..he's calling out his classmates!
At least he's not tweeting about some diamond earrings or a trip to the Gold Coast. I understand Brett's frustration. Football teams at Duke for years have been ignored and deplored. The trouble is, you can't make somebody love you.

Maybe out of controversy some good will emerge at some point in the future.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 7th, 2010, 9:53 am

ArkieDukie wrote:The more great games there are, the more the students will start attending. I went to almost every game as a grad student, and the place was packed when the team was winning. I was at the infamous game when we upset Clemson; they were a top 10 team at the time (1988 or 89). Students started showing up in the 4th quarter when the word got out that we were winning. People who had just shown up stormed the field and took down the goal posts. After that game it was difficult to get a seat in the student section.
I was at that game! Randy Cuthbert's touchdown scrum into the endzone was amazing!

Winning will get fans to the game. Last minute wins like yesterday's game will keep fans around for the entire game.

AD, I looked for pictures of our taking down the goal posts in 1989 and carrying them up to the quad and found this!
Attachments
Old Canon ZB Pics 195.jpg
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2010, 1:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:As far as Huffman's comments..the "hate" part caught me off guard, but I don't find an issue with it. He's not playing pro ball, and he's not calling out the general fan population..he's calling out his classmates!
The hate part was directed at students. He expressed no difference between the classmates whom Ozzie complained about and those like Rolvix. It will only go to polarize the students and the football team even more.

If his intent was to call out his classmates, he could have said what it's like to play without the student support. Instead, he chose to antagonize the students even more. Plus the "BRO" comment was bizarre.

Unwise move. :Boo:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 7th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Lavabe wrote: Plus the "BRO" comment was bizarre.

Unwise move. :Boo:
It's a group thing they've got going on. Another picture they have a frisbee..maybe it's their ultimate team...I have no idea.
broco.jpg
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 7th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Our students' "tailgate" is immortalized via YouTube. I'm so proud to be associated with these people.

http://www.google.com/search?q=duke+tai ... d:1&tab=wv

That being said, I'm not going to call them out for not being interested. It would be inconsistent to get all up in arms about lack of attendance at football and not be equally critical of lack of attendance at volleyball, soccer, baseball, field hockey, etc.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 7th, 2010, 5:48 pm

I missed about 4 home football games during my four years at Duke, and two of those were because I was playing club that Sunday against App State in Boone.

I think they should do it like they do with the band or the cheerleaders. Hand out something at the games or swipe Duke student IDs at football games, then give students with more football attendance some kind of priority for basketball games. That'd get 'em out there!

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 7th, 2010, 7:07 pm

bjornolf wrote:I missed about 4 home football games during my four years at Duke, and two of those were because I was playing club that Sunday against App State in Boone.

I think they should do it like they do with the band or the cheerleaders. Hand out something at the games or swipe Duke student IDs at football games, then give students with more football attendance some kind of priority for basketball games. That'd get 'em out there!

@};-
I never missed a single home football game during my undergraduate years at Duke. Not one.

I never missed a Duke-UNC football game during my undergraduate years at Duke. I traveled to Chapel Hill when we played there.

I think it would be nice to give priority seating at basketball games for those students who stay for the entire football games. It would take a double swipe of their ID cards (entry and exit). Not having to camp out for a good basketball seat (place to stand?) would be a nice tradeoff, and would reward those who come to cheer for football.

I realize that there are other sports at Duke, but I'm limiting my discussion of the issue to the revenue sports.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 7th, 2010, 8:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:The more great games there are, the more the students will start attending. I went to almost every game as a grad student, and the place was packed when the team was winning. I was at the infamous game when we upset Clemson; they were a top 10 team at the time (1988 or 89). Students started showing up in the 4th quarter when the word got out that we were winning. People who had just shown up stormed the field and took down the goal posts. After that game it was difficult to get a seat in the student section.
I was at that game! Randy Cuthbert's touchdown scrum into the endzone was amazing!

Winning will get fans to the game. Last minute wins like yesterday's game will keep fans around for the entire game.

AD, I looked for pictures of our taking down the goal posts in 1989 and carrying them up to the quad and found this!
That was my first Duke football game. It was 1989 (in 1988, I never got out of the law library!). I was moving some stuff about a year ago and found the T-shirt I got after the game with the score and I think the Blue Devil spearing the Tiger, or dragging him off.

I had the mother of all colds after that, but it was so worth it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I couldn't speak for about 3 days after that game.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 7th, 2010, 10:19 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I couldn't speak for about 3 days after that game.
I'm beginning to wonder when I'll speak without a sore throat after yesterday's game. But again, it was sooooo worth it. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 7th, 2010, 10:39 pm

I blame the athletic department even more than the students. They put a lot of time and effort to get people to pay for the games, if they would put some of that effort into selling the students to come to the games for free, I guarantee you it would happen. Hell, what they outta do is go approach the Fuqua School or a marketing class with an awesome project. The project would be for them to poll their classmates, find out why they really aren't going, find out what would draw them in, and then build a campaign around the results. There would be more students in the seats if they do it well, and being Duke students I'm sure they would do it well.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2010, 10:46 pm

That's a great idea, CB&B! :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 7th, 2010, 11:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I couldn't speak for about 3 days after that game.
I was at that game. It was wonderful. I was soaking wet but didn't care. I was there well before the game and watched the goal post come down. Loved every minute. GO DUKE!!!!