Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 28th, 2009, 8:20 am

1. anything Allagash, especially their Belgian style stuff, some of which is expensive.
2. Long Trail Brewery-Vermont-especially the Double Bag
3. Rock Art Brewery-Vermont-Extreme Bock

That should keep you busy for the 1st day... :oops: ;) :D[/quote]

Big fan of allagash but as devildeac mentions, they are expensive..especially some of their 750ml specialty beers. Very good stuff

though[/quote]

The Allagash will be a priority. Our son(Boston) and our son in law(Fort Collins) are each beer drinkers who stay away from the BMC types--should be a fun time. :D[/quote]

We'll be expecting hourly, or even more frequent reviews during your vacation. :D Have a great trip.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 28th, 2009, 9:02 pm

I had a New England beer a few years ago that had Robin Hood on the label. It was called something like Sherwood Ale. I think I may have reviewed it over at the DBR. It was enjoyable enough that I would recommend it. I know I'm not giving great details, but Robin Hood should be a hint. And it came in a can.

Speaking of cans, today I'm trying, for the first time, Third Eye Pale Ale from Steamworks Brewing Co. in Durango, CO. My only other canned pale ale experience is with the excellent Dale's Pale Ale and this beer is not as enjoyable. That isn't to say I don't like it. Dale's has a special place in my gut. Third Eye has a nice copper color, decent amount of head and long-lasting lacing. On the nose it is very well balanced with biscuity malt notes and a mineraly hoppiness. The flavor is pretty standard. A bit of bitterness and a bit maltiness. I would categorize this more as an English pale ale than an American one. It just doesn't have that citrus pulp explosion. ABV is 6.4%, but I could session this beer...on a Friday night :D
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 28th, 2009, 9:14 pm

bluebear wrote:Found a new store today and picked by 2 by Avery--Samaels and Brabant, neither of which I've tried..which shall I have tonight?
Which one was it?
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 29th, 2009, 1:18 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
bluebear wrote:Found a new store today and picked by 2 by Avery--Samaels and Brabant, neither of which I've tried..which shall I have tonight?
Which one was it?
I went with the Brabant on Wednesday night and then had the Samaels last night...very interesting brews..

Brabant--I can't think of anything similar to compare with. Pours a very deep brown. A pretty sour ale with a lot of fruit and a fair amount of funkiness. There is a some sweeter malts mixed in as well, but overall the beer comes off as a drier/tarter tasting ale. The impact of the red wine is substantial. I've had DFH Red and White and didn't think the Pinot in that was as noticeable as the Zin in this. Very interesting and tasty. I'm hoping to pick up at least another of these today for storage.

Samaels--Another very interesting beer. I can appreciate now your comment about "what are you doing in the morning" as this is 15% and does not hide it at all. It has a lot of the traits of a barleywine/old ale though perhaps a little maltier than most. Not unlike DFH Immort Ale. Very little hops with lots and lots of very sweet malts. You can taste the alcohol a bit too much but at 15%, its expected. This is a beer for sipping slowly by a fire. It comes off as a little syrupy and more like a liqueur but very enjoyable.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 8:07 am

Shameful.
Page 2.

Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier at the plate. Or perhaps, at the mug, as a plate would be very sloppy from which to drink an ale.
Dale's Pale Ale on deck. I am depending, once again, on the prior reviews of rmd and bluebear on this one.
The 1st one was just too tempting to pass by at $8 for the 6er of a witbier with Oregon blackberries.

(This means tonight folks, it's 8 AM now and I do have a day's work to do after a weekend on call.) ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 1st, 2009, 11:04 am

SPECIAL Review from South of the Border (Umm... that means MADAGASCAR)

I normally REFUSE discussion of most Pilseners, unless it's a classic type. I also unfairly give OZZIE all sorts of grief for his preference for a certain light version of a Pilsener.

Here is one example of a Pilsener that I will drop EVERYTHING for, perhaps mostly for its history with me. Yes, I am now reviewing Madagascar's legendary THREE HORSES BEER (THB), from a properly refrigerated 650 ml bottle, produced by Madagascar's Star Brasseries. Served in a proper THB pilsener glass, companioned with an opening salade crudites, followed by steak brochette and rice.

By all accounts, this Pilsener retains all the classic outward signatures of a Pilsener: golden, bordering yellow clear color, lovely small, but frequent carbonation; and foamy white head. Aroma: fresh-brewed, head for the mountains waft, mixed with a scent of "when you say Budweiser, you've said it all."

Taste: Ymm... beer. Okay, smooth, cool, refreshing, with a little mild bitterness held throughout taste and aftertaste. I think in some respects, it has an element of a saison in there, but it is SOOOOO Pilsener. I truly rank this ahead of P Urqueil, because it retains the main properties of a Pilsener, with a flair of originality on the bitterness. Mine paired VERY nicely with the meal.

Ymm, Beer: :) :) :) :)
To be honest, OZZIE would give this 9F's. My fondest THB was about 20 years ago, and served at running stream-cooled temperature, up on Amber Mountain. The one I have at my meal is a close second.

What have I learned from this beer? Sometimes the beer tastes better not because of the IBUs, the ABV's, or anything like that. Sometimes what enhances a beer's taste is the memory, knowledge, and emotion you have for it. I have too much history attached to this brew.

THB: One of Madagascar's best gifts to the world.

CHEERS,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 12:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:SPECIAL Review from South of the Border (Umm... that means MADAGASCAR)

I normally REFUSE discussion of most Pilseners, unless it's a classic type. I also unfairly give OZZIE all sorts of grief for his preference for a certain light version of a Pilsener.

Here is one example of a Pilsener that I will drop EVERYTHING for, perhaps mostly for its history with me. Yes, I am now reviewing Madagascar's legendary THREE HORSES BEER (THB), from a properly refrigerated 650 ml bottle, produced by Madagascar's Star Brasseries. Served in a proper THB pilsener glass, companioned with an opening salade crudites, followed by steak brochette and rice.

By all accounts, this Pilsener retains all the classic outward signatures of a Pilsener: golden, bordering yellow clear color, lovely small, but frequent carbonation; and foamy white head. Aroma: fresh-brewed, head for the mountains waft, mixed with a scent of "when you say Budweiser, you've said it all."

Taste: Ymm... beer. Okay, smooth, cool, refreshing, with a little mild bitterness held throughout taste and aftertaste. I think in some respects, it has an element of a saison in there, but it is SOOOOO Pilsener. I truly rank this ahead of P Urqueil, because it retains the main properties of a Pilsener, with a flair of originality on the bitterness. Mine paired VERY nicely with the meal.

To be honest, OZZIE would give this 9F's. My fondest THB was about 20 years ago, and served at running stream-cooled temperature, up on Amber Mountain. The one I have at my meal is a close second.

What have I learned from this beer? Sometimes the beer tastes better not because of the IBUs, the ABV's, or anything like that. Sometimes what enhances a beer's taste is the memory, knowledge, and emotion you have for it. I have too much history attached to this brew.

CHEERS,
Lavabe
3 words:
Bring One Back
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » June 1st, 2009, 2:38 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:SPECIAL Review from South of the Border (Umm... that means MADAGASCAR)

CHEERS,
Lavabe
3 words:
Bring One Back
DD-no surprise with your response to that post, hmmm??!!! I spoke to Lavabe about that before he left. He says that he feels it is too risky and it would not make it. You've got 10 weeks to help him change his mind... ;)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 1st, 2009, 2:43 pm

devildeac wrote:

Yes, I am now reviewing Madagascar's legendary THREE HORSES BEER (THB), from a properly refrigerated 650 ml bottle, produced by Madagascar's Star Brasseries.

Taste: Ymm... beer. Okay, smooth, cool, refreshing, with a little mild bitterness held throughout taste and aftertaste. I think in some respects, it has an element of a saison in there, but it is SOOOOO Pilsener.

CHEERS,
Lavabe
3 words:
Bring One Back
Wrong words, my friend! Bring TWO Back!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 2:45 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:
devildeac wrote:

CHEERS,
Lavabe
3 words:
Bring One Back
DD-no surprise with your response to that post, hmmm??!!! I spoke to Lavabe about that before he left. He says that he feels it is too risky and it would not make it. You've got 10 weeks to help him change his mind... ;)
Suggest he put it in one of his hiking/walking shoes/boots inside a sock. That has worked for 15 years from Portland to RDU. Or, in a suitcase inside a couple socks/t-shirts/sweatshirt. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 2:47 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Yes, I am now reviewing Madagascar's legendary THREE HORSES BEER (THB), from a properly refrigerated 650 ml bottle, produced by Madagascar's Star Brasseries.

Taste: Ymm... beer. Okay, smooth, cool, refreshing, with a little mild bitterness held throughout taste and aftertaste. I think in some respects, it has an element of a saison in there, but it is SOOOOO Pilsener.

CHEERS,
Lavabe
3 words:
Bring One Back
Wrong words, my friend! Bring TWO Back!
You'd drink one? But, but, but, Lavabe says it has tastes/flavors... :)) ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 2:50 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:
devildeac wrote:

CHEERS,
Lavabe
3 words:
Bring One Back
What is the universe coming to? We now have ILJ reading AND responding on the "ymm, beer" thread. Next thing you know they'll be pirates attacking cargo ships... Oh, never mind... :lol: :roll:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 1st, 2009, 2:59 pm

devildeac wrote:
Have you ever seen me refuse tasting a beer? Ever? Anywhere? 8-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 3:03 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Have you ever seen me refuse tasting a beer? Ever? Anywhere? 8-)
I'll have to ponder that one... ;)
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 1st, 2009, 4:10 pm

My parents retired up to rural Maine a few years back (ignoring protests from my sister and I about the isolation)..My wife and I get up there to see them 5-7 times per year depending on the winter...Today, I discovered that this little gem is only about 10 minutes from their house. I am suddenly quite pleased with their retirement spot :D
http://ebenezerspub.net/

here's a direct link to their "menu"
http://ebenezerspub.net/Beer.html

We won't get back up there until mid-July but this will be the first stop...with some good reviews to follow..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm

bluebear wrote:My parents retired up to rural Maine a few years back (ignoring protests from my sister and I about the isolation)..My wife and I get up there to see them 5-7 times per year depending on the winter...Today, I discovered that this little gem is only about 10 minutes from their house. I am suddenly quite pleased with their retirement spot :D

We won't get back up there until mid-July but this will be the first stop...with some good reviews to follow..
Oh, my...

can they adopt me?

I promise I'd visit often... :D
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » June 2nd, 2009, 12:01 am

devildeac wrote:
ILoveJimmy wrote:
devildeac wrote:SPECIAL Review from South of the Border (Umm... that means MADAGASCAR)

3 words:
Bring One Back
What is the universe coming to? We now have ILJ reading AND responding on the "ymm, beer" thread. Next thing you know they'll be pirates attacking cargo ships... Oh, never mind... :lol: :roll:
Well, Lavabe told me that he was going to review THB and I was just looking for that. Then when I saw your request (no surprise), I thought I'd give you a little heads up that Lavabe is going to need heavy encouragement in order to bring one of those back. No, the world is not coming to an end. :)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 2nd, 2009, 1:57 pm

Ya know... I believe we discussed yonder that there's a bar in Washington, DC that serves all sorts of African beers, including THB.

FWIW: Tonight's meal was with a Pilsener. However, I originally paired my chicken sauteed in vanilla sauce with a lovely 6.2% ABV special brew from THB. Unfortunately, they ran out of it.

Don't worry... I'll search all of Madagascar for this tempting new brew.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:Ya know... I believe we discussed yonder that there's a bar in Washington, DC that serves all sorts of African beers, including THB.

FWIW: Tonight's meal was with a Pilsener. However, I originally paired my chicken sauteed in vanilla sauce with a lovely 6.2% ABV special brew from THB. Unfortunately, they ran out of it.

Don't worry... I'll search all of Madagascar for this tempting new brew.
Probably this place.... http://www.lovethebeer.com/brickskeller.html
Some of my friends were waitresses there back when I was in school, they had to be familiar with about 300 brews, even though they have much more than that.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 2nd, 2009, 8:32 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:My parents retired up to rural Maine a few years back (ignoring protests from my sister and I about the isolation)..My wife and I get up there to see them 5-7 times per year depending on the winter...Today, I discovered that this little gem is only about 10 minutes from their house. I am suddenly quite pleased with their retirement spot :D

Oh, my...

can they adopt me?

I promise I'd visit often... :D
Oh my is right. I kept expecting the list and then, sure enough, there was another category.