Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Breakfast Stout-Founders (on draft)

Coffee and chocolate and oats, oh my! A seriously tasty beer. I had this with chicken nachos at Tyler's on Friday before CTC. The waitress or bartender actually served the wrong brew as I ordered a Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter and thought I smelled and tasted coffee and she admitted their mistake after I had a couple sips. If I was a real quick thinker, I would have said just bring the right stuff but leave this one here as I had already sipped it :D . Or, I would have said just bring a taster of the Great Divide :D . Silly me just agreed to keep the pint #-o . Almost pitch black with the aroma and taste of freshly brewed coffee from the 2 coffees in the brew. Bittersweet chocolate in the brewing process and it tastes like it, too. Add a bit of cream and sugar and you have a breakfast drink ;) :D . Drink it this way and you have a great match with grilled chicken nachos and all the fixings. Skip the food and you have a fine dessert, with or without the brownie or chocolate torte. It's 60 on the IBUs and 8.3% on the ABV so not a session brew. This was wonderful from the bottle the 1st time I had it and even smoother on the palate from the oats added to the barley in the brewing process.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I bought the winter sampler from SA tonight. FOUR brews are unique to it...Chocolate Bock, Old Fezziwig Ale, White Ale and Holiday Porter. Haven't tried any of the four yet, getting the normal brews out of the way first.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 19th, 2010, 10:37 pm

70 117 99 107 32 66 101 110 106 105 32 77 111 108 105 110 97
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2010, 10:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought the winter sampler from SA tonight. FOUR brews are unique to it...Chocolate Bock, Old Fezziwig Ale, White Ale and Holiday Porter. Haven't tried any of the four yet, getting the normal brews out of the way first.
I have seen the Chocolate Bock in 750 ml bottles in the past for about $15. Seriously. :(( :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2010, 11:04 pm

devildeac wrote:Hoss Rye Lager-Great Divide-Unique brew-This is a trader from rmd from the devildeac's great adventure. It is a marzen style beer, or a German lager. Reddish-orange in color and very toasty. Think amber type ale here. There are hints of light caramel and cherries with little hop presence. The rye malt imparts a bit or mustiness or earthiness to the flavor and aroma. I'm gonna guess the IBU are 20 or 30. The ABV is a bit high for a lager at 6.2%. I'm working on our taxes tonight so it made a nice starter brew. This would be fine with burgers, grilled chicken or brats or with some mild cheeses and crackers. I have not seen this in NC so a big :ymapplause: and ^:)^ to rmd for his selection.
Found a 6er of this at TW yesterday. Guess what CB&B is gonna find in his next trader? :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Taddy Porter-Samuel Smith

If anyone wishes to try a classic porter, buy a single of this one. Probably as old as the hills, or the Cliffs of Dover, this has no additives or flavorings and is not aged in bourbon or wine casks. I don't know the IBU or ABV and I really don't care for this one as it is simply excellent. Sit down with one of these at cellar temperature by a fire and sip it for an hour. Outstanding.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 20th, 2010, 8:07 am

devildeac wrote:Taddy Porter-Samuel Smith

If anyone wishes to try a classic porter, buy a single of this one. Probably as old as the hills, or the Cliffs of Dover, this has no additives or flavorings and is not aged in bourbon or wine casks. I don't know the IBU or ABV and I really don't care for this one as it is simply excellent. Sit down with one of these at cellar temperature by a fire and sip it for an hour. Outstanding.
Ahhh..One of my first beer loves..though it's been a few years since I've had one. Taddy Porter used to be my go to beer in the winter..perfect review..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 20th, 2010, 9:02 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought the winter sampler from SA tonight. FOUR brews are unique to it...Chocolate Bock, Old Fezziwig Ale, White Ale and Holiday Porter. Haven't tried any of the four yet, getting the normal brews out of the way first.
Old Fezziwig and Holiday Porter are my probably my favorite 2 SA beers. It always bothered me being the sampler just to drink the 2 of them but the addition of the chocolate bock to the set will make it much easier..
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 20th, 2010, 9:47 am

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

Discuss. :D :D

I had to laugh at one of the reviews of the 'worst beer' : Bad aftertaste, rancid mouth. Not fit for students, bums or the desperate for a drink. Nothing but horrible taste and booze. I am less of a person for having consumed this.

Yikes.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2010, 10:23 am

windsor wrote:http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

I had to laugh at one of the reviews of the 'worst beer' : Bad aftertaste, rancid mouth. Not fit for students, bums or the desperate for a drink. Nothing but horrible taste and booze. I am less of a person for having consumed this.

Yikes.
Budweiser can take pride I guess in that they did not make the list. I don't see how Bud Light rated lower than any of the Old Milwaukees. Those things are just alcholic water. :ymtongue:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 20th, 2010, 10:31 am

windsor wrote:http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

Yikes.
:)) :))
=)) =))

Thanks for sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 20th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Vanilla Java Porter-Atwater Block Brewery

Mixed bag on this trader from CB&B. Says it's made with chocolate and coffee malts. I've never heard of the latter. Then, coffee and vanilla are added. The java is prominent but I really don't taste any 'nilla. Dark brown pour with a small, light tan head. I'd guess the IBU about 50 and the ABV about 5%. Not a bad brew for a cool fall evening but not worth a 6er. Kinda funny 'cuz I liked their double bock, Voodoovator and I don't think CB&B was very fond of it. Wonder what he thinks of this one...

:-w
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2010, 8:23 am

devildeac wrote:Vanilla Java Porter-Atwater Block Brewery

Mixed bag on this trader from CB&B. Says it's made with chocolate and coffee malts. I've never heard of the latter. Then, coffee and vanilla are added. The java is prominent but I really don't taste any 'nilla. Dark brown pour with a small, light tan head. I'd guess the IBU about 50 and the ABV about 5%. Not a bad brew for a cool fall evening but not worth a 6er. Kinda funny 'cuz I liked their double bock, Voodoovator and I don't think CB&B was very fond of it. Wonder what he thinks of this one...

:-w
Cherry Stout-Atwater Block Brewery

Another mixed bag review. This has the color/flavor/consistency of a porter and not a stout. Not a bad thing but I expect more mocha from a porter and a darker, thicker pour from a stout. The sour cherry taste is late and is certainly not medicinal. There is little espresso or chocolate taste to this "alleged" stout. I'd guess the ABV to be about 6% and the IBU about 50. Not a bad brew to try during a tasting but not worth a 6er.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 21st, 2010, 9:10 am

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout--Overseas version of Guinness Extra Stout that they have just started distributing in the US. Pours a somewhat thin looking brownish-black. Big roasted malt taste up front with hints of coffee and chocolate. A bit of a cola taste. Some mild hoppiness in the finish. I haven't had a Guinness in some time but this version has a lot more body and flavor. It's a pretty decent stout overall though still a bit on the thin side. Slightly higher ABV at 7.5%. Worth picking up if you see it. Comes in 4 pack bottles with yellow label..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2010, 11:49 am

bluebeer wrote:Guinness Foreign Extra Stout--Overseas version of Guinness Extra Stout that they have just started distributing in the US. Pours a somewhat thin looking brownish-black. Big roasted malt taste up front with hints of coffee and chocolate. A bit of a cola taste. Some mild hoppiness in the finish. I haven't had a Guinness in some time but this version has a lot more body and flavor. It's a pretty decent stout overall though still a bit on the thin side. Slightly higher ABV at 7.5%. Worth picking up if you see it. Comes in 4 pack bottles with yellow label..
I knew Guiness had different brews/strengths for different countries for years. This sounds like an interesting taste. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2010, 7:44 pm

Red Rocket Ale-Bear Republic Brewing

Their description on the label as a "bastardized Scottish style red ale" is a pretty accurate characterization of this brew. It pour a dark amber with a bit smaller head than expected and has the aroma and taste of pine and medium to dark caramel, with the hops winning by about 10 IBU ;) . It's too hoppy and not sweet enough for a true Scotch ale, too dark for an amber, red or IPA so the labeling is a reasonable one. The ABV is 6.8% and I'd guess the IBU to be about 60. I liked the recipe as it is rather distinctive from many (any?) other beers I have tasted in a while. This was a trader from CB&B last Brunchgate and I am glad he included it and would certainly quaff another with some Q, brats, burgers or ribs. :Clap:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2010, 9:16 am

None to review. On call this weekend. Will be tasting tonight. Probably Bell's 25th Anniversary Ale.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2010, 10:36 am

devildeac wrote:None to review. On call this weekend. Will be tasting tonight. Probably Bell's 25th Anniversary Ale.
Hope you like it...one of them is in your trader. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2010, 10:50 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:None to review. On call this weekend. Will be tasting tonight. Probably Bell's 25th Anniversary Ale.
Hope you like it...one of them is in your trader. :D
:)) =))
Guess I'll have to take it outta your trader then.

:)) =))

Do you want a Sierra Nevada Tumbler in its place?

8-| :tease: :)) =))
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » October 26th, 2010, 1:19 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:Guinness Foreign Extra Stout--Overseas version of Guinness Extra Stout that they have just started distributing in the US. Pours a somewhat thin looking brownish-black. Big roasted malt taste up front with hints of coffee and chocolate. A bit of a cola taste. Some mild hoppiness in the finish. I haven't had a Guinness in some time but this version has a lot more body and flavor. It's a pretty decent stout overall though still a bit on the thin side. Slightly higher ABV at 7.5%. Worth picking up if you see it. Comes in 4 pack bottles with yellow label..
I knew Guiness had different brews/strengths for different countries for years. This sounds like an interesting taste. Thanks.
I bought a four pack yesterday. This is much more like the brew we experienced in Dublin. :)