2010 NC State Fair: "Delicacies"

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

2010 NC State Fair: "Delicacies"

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2010, 8:47 am

OK, folks, it's state fair time here in NC and your opportunity to list the most outrageous/unhealthy/bizarre food items you have heard of, seen or tasted. Other nominees from other locales are also welcome. Last year it was chocolate bacon. This year, I think the winner is:

Krispy Kreme Hamburgers!

:ymsick: :puke-huge:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2010 NC State Fair: "Delicacies"

Post by lawgrad91 » October 15th, 2010, 9:33 am

devildeac wrote:OK, folks, it's state fair time here in NC and your opportunity to list the most outrageous/unhealthy/bizarre food items you have heard of, seen or tasted. Other nominees from other locales are also welcome. Last year it was chocolate bacon. This year, I think the winner is:

Krispy Kreme Hamburgers!

DD, you don't have enough business already, so you're trying to drum up support here? Wouldn't that be like me telling people to :violence-guntoting: :auto-layrubber: in Henry County? ;)
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2010, 10:57 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:OK, folks, it's state fair time here in NC and your opportunity to list the most outrageous/unhealthy/bizarre food items you have heard of, seen or tasted. Other nominees from other locales are also welcome. Last year it was chocolate bacon. This year, I think the winner is:

Krispy Kreme Hamburgers!

DD, you don't have enough business already, so you're trying to drum up support here? Wouldn't that be like me telling people to :violence-guntoting: :auto-layrubber: in Henry County? ;)
Actually, I'm just trying go get folks to post about what things they have seen/eaten/heard about at their respective state fairs so we can all have a good chuckle. Most physicians in Raleigh cringe at being on call for the ER when the NC State Fair is in town. :D

Plus, it gets me another post :ymblushing: .
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 15th, 2010, 11:27 am

We have a similar problem when the Martinsville race traffic tickets come through. There's a six-foot by six-foot "No Left Turn" sign at one location, and we probably have fifty people a race who turn there despite the four troopers directing traffic at the intersection. Twenty-five of those people say, "I didn't see the sign." (That's why the sign is now 6x6).

I ate scrapple :ymsick: at the NC Fair, but other than that, no real "delicacies." I haven't been to that many state fairs, though. The NC, the West VA, and the Western Washington Fair are it. As long as I lived in VA, I never went to the state fair, and I haven't been back to the NC one since law school. I would also be interested to hear what fine cuisine has been/is being served elsewhere, and well, it's fun to pick on you, DD. :teasing-poke: And you'll get yet another post when you respond to this one!

I heard Texas had deep-fried beer.... :beer:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2010, 11:51 am

lawgrad91 wrote:We have a similar problem when the Martinsville race traffic tickets come through. There's a six-foot by six-foot "No Left Turn" sign at one location, and we probably have fifty people a race who turn there despite the four troopers directing traffic at the intersection. Twenty-five of those people say, "I didn't see the sign." (That's why the sign is now 6x6).

I ate scrapple :ymsick: at the NC Fair, but other than that, no real "delicacies." I haven't been to that many state fairs, though. The NC, the West VA, and the Western Washington Fair are it. As long as I lived in VA, I never went to the state fair, and I haven't been back to the NC one since law school. I would also be interested to hear what fine cuisine has been/is being served elsewhere, and well, it's fun to pick on you, DD. :teasing-poke: And you'll get yet another post when you respond to this one!

Deep-fried beer? WTH?

I'd guess they pour some beer on a funnel cake, dip it in more batter and then deep fry it. Kinda like they started with deep fried coke a couple years ago. No thanks!

We go to the NC State Fair every 2-3 years and I have never had any of these "treats." The worst I do is a sausage, peppers and onion sub, maybe some fries, grilled corn and a monster $4 cup/bowl of ice cream from the NC State Ag School booth. In recent years, we have split the huge bowl of ice cream and the order of fries, sometimes among 3-4 people.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 15th, 2010, 12:33 pm

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/08/26/fri ... tate-fair/

What a choice: deep fried beer and deep fried frozen margarita!

Last year's winner of the Most Creative award at the Texas State Fair was deep fried butter. DD, doesn't that sound heart-healthy!
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2010, 12:57 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:http://www.slashfood.com/2010/08/26/fri ... tate-fair/

What a choice: deep fried beer and deep fried frozen margarita!

Last year's winner of the Most Creative award at the Texas State Fair was deep fried butter. DD, doesn't that sound heart-healthy!
Heart attack on a stick. I do recall reading about the deep fried butter.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 15th, 2010, 7:20 pm

The Moo-U ice cream is the best!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 16th, 2010, 7:52 am

lawgrad91 wrote:We have a similar problem when the Martinsville race traffic tickets come through. There's a six-foot by six-foot "No Left Turn" sign at one location, and we probably have fifty people a race who turn there despite the four troopers directing traffic at the intersection. Twenty-five of those people say, "I didn't see the sign." (That's why the sign is now 6x6).

:idea: :idea: :idea: People do not read roadsigns unless they are lit up, in their face, flashing or have exposed sex organs on board.
I was trained to read them, in a rapid-fire, spontaeous fashion by my instructor, who would hit me with the question, "What did that last sign say?", even if that last sign was two miles or more back. The instructor needs to really express a lot of anger if memory can't be recalled. This is an effective way to learn to read them. I did it to my son. It stuck with him, too. He pays better attention. The sign is not just trying to sell shit, a la billboards. It's to inform of hazards and dangers too. Not reading signs, in order to read the latest text message, can get you and/or others killed.

OMG! :D WVa state fair. If you aren't intending to be in Lewisberg, at the time, STAY OUT! I got stuck having to deliver a few Jeeps there once. It took about 1.5 hrs to get from I-64 across town . X(
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 8:53 pm

OK, here's a more complete list from today's n&o:

bacon and cheese mashed potato bites
deep fried chips ahoy cookie
deep fried honey bun
giant gummy bear (IIRC, 5 pounds!)
koolickles (dill pickle marinated in cherry koolaid)
krispy kreme bacon cheeseburger (incorrectly described earlier as a krispy kreme cheeseburger only :)) =))
maple bacon cupcake
one pound hot dog
texas fried frito pie
twinkie log

I'm having chest pain just typing that list @-)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 8:54 pm

We may have had more turnovers today at WW than the NC State Fair X(.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 16th, 2010, 8:59 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, here's a more complete list from today's n&o:

deep fried honey bun
krispy kreme bacon cheeseburger (incorrectly described earlier as a krispy kreme cheeseburger only :)) =))
maple bacon cupcake
one pound hot dog
texas fried frito pie
twinkie log

:ymsick: Ugh. Is the fair planning to have a large contingent of pregnant women with strange cravings? Dill pickles in cherry koolaid?
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 9:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

deep fried honey bun
maple bacon cupcake
one pound hot dog
texas fried frito pie
twinkie log

:ymsick: Ugh. Is the fair planning to have a large contingent of pregnant women with strange cravings? Dill pickles in cherry koolaid?
IDK, but I may have my office hours extended over the next few weeks. :)) =))
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 16th, 2010, 9:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

deep fried honey bun
maple bacon cupcake
one pound hot dog
texas fried frito pie
twinkie log

IDK, but I may have my office hours extended over the next few weeks. :)) =))
It may help you pay for weddings! :D
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 17th, 2010, 8:18 am

lawgrad91 wrote:I ate scrapple :ymsick: at the NC Fair, but other than that, no real "delicacies."
It's just a matter of time before they deep-fry the scrapple too, and maybe encase it in a taco shell, and then sandwich it between two Chicago-style pizzas, and then...

Reminds me of TACO TOWN (on SNL):
http://www.foodfacts.info/extras/snl-taco-time.shtml
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 20th, 2010, 10:01 am

From the Florida State Fair

Krispy Kreme Donut Burger : Fresh burger patty placed between 2 Krispy Kreme donuts cheese/bacon
Deep Fried Butter Bursts : Butter pats or balls wrapped in dough and deep fried.
Snap, Krackle and Fluff on a Stick Rice Krispy treat with marshmallows on either side and skewered on a stick, dipped in batter, deep-fried and topped with sweetened condensed milk or your choice of toppings including powdered sugar or chocolate/caramel
drizzle
Biscuit Baby honey butter flavored biscuits in bite size pieces skewered
on a stick, deep-fried and topped with caramel or chocolate drizzle

You can also get your Bacon flavored chapstick.

The state fair here is in February - which is also when the first crop of strawberries comes in...at least they have not started to offer deep fried strawberry shortcake.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 20th, 2010, 10:07 am

windsor wrote:From the Florida State Fair

Krispy Kreme Donut Burger : Fresh burger patty placed between 2 Krispy Kreme donuts cheese/bacon
Deep Fried Butter Bursts : Butter pats or balls wrapped in dough and deep fried.
Snap, Krackle and Fluff on a Stick Rice Krispy treat with marshmallows on either side and skewered on a stick, dipped in batter, deep-fried and topped with sweetened condensed milk or your choice of toppings including powdered sugar or chocolate/caramel
drizzle
Biscuit Baby honey butter flavored biscuits in bite size pieces skewered
on a stick, deep-fried and topped with caramel or chocolate drizzle

You can also get your Bacon flavored chapstick.

The state fair here is in February - which is also when the first crop of strawberries comes in...at least they have not started to offer deep fried strawberry shortcake.
But you have now given them a great idea for the 2011 state fair.
Life is good!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » October 20th, 2010, 11:19 am

I ate fried pickles yesterday. I loved them. I love fried pickles. I love all pickles. Pickles are tasty. Pickles are delicious. Man, I'm now jonesing for some pickels.

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 20th, 2010, 1:40 pm

EarlJam wrote:I ate fried pickles yesterday. I loved them. I love fried pickles. I love all pickles. Pickles are tasty. Pickles are delicious. Man, I'm now jonesing for some pickels.

-EJ
I love fried pickles. I had some for the first time in August. I love them.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by DevilWearsPrada » October 22nd, 2010, 12:09 pm

I was at the NC State Fair yesterday. Thursday has been FOOD LION fight hunger day, for many years. Take 4 + cans of Food Lion brand food, and get in Free to the Fair. Its always on Thursday. I got there around 2. Some folks were already leaving. Parked on the first row, across from the entrance. Around 6pm, the crowds were rolling in. Perfect weather all day and night. I left after the fireworks.

Trying to watch my Carb intake! I did pretty well yesterday. I Smelled, but didnt taste!!! I found Sugar Free ice cream (Toasted Almond) and it was delicious. Got a Turkey Leg to bring home. Got the gyro for dinner, and didnt eat the pita. Bought 1 ham biscuit to go, and took a bite of it. Had the biscuit, for brunch this morning. The Churchs have the permanent buildings on the fairgrounds. Bottled water was $1.

I went over to the Krispy Kreme Burgers. I must say, it look disjusting to me. A small hamburger patty, with a slice of cheese and bacon, between 2 KK donuts. I asked people if they really liked it. I would have eaten the patty, and had the donuts for dessert.

The funnel cakes always smell great. I have had those in the past, along with the Fried Cheese cake, and Fried candy bars. But not yesterday. Lots of folks in line at the Hot Wisconsin Cheese booth. Theres an OSTRICH booth, and they have Ostrich burgers, and bites. Also a booth with Gator Bites.

The Fair is not the place to eat, when trying to eat healthy, and watching carbs and fats.