LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 2:32 pm

No clever response to the above inquiries at the moment, but perhaps one will come to me.
I'm struggling today...the reading is not exactly going swimmingly, but it's more or less going, I guess. If I can slog through 2 books, that'll be a decent haul.
Vibes, please?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 1st, 2009, 2:35 pm

wilson wrote:No clever response to the above inquiries at the moment, but perhaps one will come to me.
I'm struggling today...the reading is not exactly going swimmingly, but it's more or less going, I guess. If I can slog through 2 books, that'll be a decent haul.
Vibes, please?

Vibes sent! Read on Matey!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 1st, 2009, 2:45 pm

Good luck, man. And come on, pirates have always been considered "unsavory characters", haven't they? Kinda goes with the territory, doesn't it? If anything, it's part of their charm! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! I'm a fat Irish bastard. Put a good spin on that, I dare ya!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 1st, 2009, 3:01 pm

wilson wrote:No clever response to the above inquiries at the moment, but perhaps one will come to me.
Vibes, please?
How do you read 2 books/day? If I'm going at a good pace, it's 2-3 days. 1 day if I do nothing else. Usually about 5-7 days, though. And yes, it's leisure reading.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 1st, 2009, 3:03 pm

Vibes, please?
Vibing from VA for ya! :D
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 1st, 2009, 3:03 pm

Here are the pictures I promised from the reunion. This is on the train at the park.

The one holding Katie in the back is my wife, and the gal behind her is her best friend, Sean's godmother, Aunt Jesse (as they call her).

The boys are happy, but Katie's not too sure!

I call this one roller coaster!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 3:07 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Vibes, please?
How do you read 2 books/day? If I'm going at a good pace, it's 2-3 days. 1 day if I do nothing else. Usually about 5-7 days, though. And yes, it's leisure reading.
Well, academics deploy the term "reading" somewhat differently than civilians. There's a good deal of skimming involved, but skimming is very much an art. Give me 2-3 hours with almost any book out there, and I can tell you everything important about it. I've been having solid three-book days for the past couple of weeks. As my exams loom closer this fall, I'll start making more use of things like book reviews and I'll acquire familiarity with about 6-8 books a day. Note that I distinguish that from reading them. I do consider myself to be reading these three books a day right now, but when I do the review thing, I'll read introduction/conclusion very carefully, skim a bit, and read the review. Then, I can still tell you pretty much all you need to know about the book, usually in an hour or so.
When I read for pleasure (Wait...what the hell am I talking about? Pleasure reading? What's that?), I often have to catch myself and remember that it's ok to ponder each word a bit more thoroughly. Even then, though, my level of practice is such that I just about can't make a book last longer than a day, even if I'd like to.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 1st, 2009, 3:10 pm

You remind me of my wife. As a patent examiner of 10 years, she can read 50 pages of dense legalese in about an hour. She picked up a book for pleasure reading yesterday. It was about 300 pages. She read for two hours during the kids' nap, then for about an hour at bedtime to finish it. So, she read it in about three hours. And she "pleasure reads" slower than she "work reads". I'm in awe of her.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm

bjornolf wrote:Here are the pictures I promised from the reunion. This is on the train at the park.

The one holding Katie in the back is my wife, and the gal behind her is her best friend, Sean's godmother, Aunt Jesse (as they call her).

The boys are happy, but Katie's not too sure!

I call this one roller coaster!

%%-
The roller coaster picture is my favorite. Look at the complete JOY on your kids' faces!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 1st, 2009, 3:19 pm

Bjornolf - awesome pics and glad everyone had a great time (except the MIL)! Great PICS! :-bd
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 3:28 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Tilly, we do something in yoga that is supposed to clear the sinuses. It usually works for me but I've never used it when I'm in as bad a shape as you sound like you are. Hmmm, somehow I suspect the grammar police (wilson) will have at me for that sentence. Anyway, here's what you do, sit on the floor in a comfortable position but with good posture. Place your index finger on your forehead (in the middle, just above the browline). Close one nostril with your thumb. Breath in through the other nostril. Hold the breath for a moment. Close the nostril you just used to inhale and release the thumb. Exhale through the other nostril. Do this a couple of time then switch. Inhale through the 'thumb' nostril and exhale through the other one.
I just tried this - finally had a chance. Will do a few more times and let you know how it goes.

Thank you for sharing.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:14 pm

What, are y'all eating dinner or something? ENTERTAIN ME! :x
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 8:17 pm

wilson wrote:What, are y'all eating dinner or something? ENTERTAIN ME! :x
I'm dying. Now I have a fever and it really hurts to cough. I'm going to bed. If I wake before I die, I'll post again.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:21 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
I'm dying. Now I have a fever and it really hurts to cough. I'm going to bed. If I wake before I die, I'll post again.
Please don't die. Then all of our plans for September 19 are shot.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 1st, 2009, 8:23 pm

Well, we went out to an Italian restaurant tonight. I had a tasty a pepperoni calzone, with salad and cheesy bread. We have eaten Italian food two nights in a row though. Hopefully something different tomorrow night though! Not that I don't love Italian cuisine.
:D

Why don't you tell us what you had for dinner, wilson?
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:27 pm

CellR wrote:
Well, we went out to an Italian restaurant tonight. I had a tasty a pepperoni calzone, with salad and cheesy bread. We have eaten Italian food two nights in a row though. Hopefully something different tomorrow night though! Not that I don't love Italian cuisine.
:D

Why don't you tell us what you had for dinner, wilson?
Nice. I had one of the more delicious calzones in my recent memory last week.
My brother and I are having steak tacos tonight. I currently have an onion and some fresh cut jalapenos grilling. The meat will go on in a couple of minutes.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 1st, 2009, 8:28 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Waking up dead sucks.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 1st, 2009, 8:30 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Don't mess around with that fever shit. Get horizontal with fever busters in one hand and the remote in the other. Relax and pass out until you feel better.

Get this stuff to clean anydamn thing...http://www.charliesoap.com/products.asp

...anydamn? Is that a word? Well, it is now. Hey, this stuff WORKS! This is an endorsement from a user. I have no stake in the business. I've used it for quite a long time. It will pull that blood you aforementioned right OUT. The only drawback I've experienced from using it, is that it seems to take a lot of water to rinse thoroughly. I've never tried the laundry detergent.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 1st, 2009, 8:33 pm

Tilly's psychic. By the time I type and submit, she's gone.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 8:35 pm

I'm working on possibly the best Scrabble game of my life against Shammrog right now. 434-234. I have 4 bingos so far. We both have a full rack of letters, with 13 left in the bag. A personal best score is definitely within reach.