Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 1st, 2009, 2:40 pm

I'm at work, so I can't do any modding now, but I'm going to migrate the majority of all the posts above that have nothing to do with Lavabe's trip to the LTE. Please keep this thread on topic. Thanks
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » June 1st, 2009, 5:45 pm

Lavabe wrote:June 1: I have arrived in the capital city, Antananarivo (as everyone calls it, Tana).

This involved a 220 flight from Cincy to Dulles, a crammed United Airline flight from Dulles to Paris, I had to wait in Charles DeGaulle airport 10 hours for the Air Madagascar flight, survive an unattended baggage scare, and just arrived after the CDG-TANA red-eye. Oh, and who was on the flight five rows up from me ... his excellency, the President of the transition (the politician who took over Madagascar this year).

All in all, 35 hours of transit time. I feel a little zapped, but I have enough strength to meet a few important people today. Would LOVE to get a nice 15 hour sleep to make up for the deprivation over the weekend. Things are calm and safe in this city.

Will try to get some photos of Tana in the next few days, if possible. My number one goal is to leave this city ASAP.

Again, if you have any questions, POST AWAY!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Say, is this the first CTN post from the southern hemisphere?
Lavabe,

I've been away for a while but am back now and very excited about this thread! Wilson was telling me about it the other night as I sipped/guzzled the beers you brought down (thanks).

Glad you made it there safely (even if exhausted), and if you see a pretty girl while over there just remember to *Lemur alone!

Stay safe, explore, report! How awesome man.

Best,

-EarlJam

*EarlJam sincerely recognizes and apologizes for the lameness of that humor attempt. Man, that was bad.
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 1st, 2009, 7:19 pm

So glad to hear that you arrived safely. Enjoy!
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 2nd, 2009, 1:41 am

DukePA wrote:So glad to hear that you arrived safely. Enjoy!
I second that and wish you the best vibes and prayers towards your success on your trip! I can't wait to read and see your reports! **==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 2nd, 2009, 8:47 am

Okay folks... I just met the other "Lavabe" lemur researcher who works in northern Madagascar. SERIOUSLY!! 6'7"... 2 meters tall... he also got a Duke bachelor's degree. :o :-o

Really nice to see another generation of researchers coming up through the ranks.

These are the sorts of things that happen politically in Tana. I may also wind up talking with someone I haven't seen in some 20+ years.

Really cool day... now all I need are my pemits. We shall see.
Cheers,
Lavabe #1
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 2nd, 2009, 9:43 am

Lavabe wrote:Okay folks... I just met the other "Lavabe" lemur researcher who works in northern Madagascar. SERIOUSLY!! 6'7"... 2 meters tall... he also got a Duke bachelor's degree. :o :-o

Really nice to see another generation of researchers coming up through the ranks.

These are the sorts of things that happen politically in Tana. I may also wind up talking with someone I haven't seen in some 20+ years.

Really cool day... now all I need are my pemits. We shall see.
Cheers,
Lavabe #1

Two Duke blue Lavabes...what are the odds. Good luck with the permits - hope it goes smoothly.
Hooking up with people from way back is cool - hope it happens

Keep us posted, stay safe
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 4th, 2009, 9:07 am

Lavabe, I am glad to read that you've made it safely. I'm just getting back into the swing of things after the road trip east, so I haven't had a chance to mosey on over to Facebook. I'll be there shortly, and looking forward to everything you post. Take care.
:(|) :-bd
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 4th, 2009, 9:50 am

Dudes!
I'm gonna have to start talking like a surfer, as you check out the latest approach to primatology that I MUST try out: :-o :-o :-o
http://www.babaomby.com/en/index.php

Yes, they have lemurs in the forests there, and I was planning on surveying that region. B-) B-)

Oh WOW!!

Hang five, then study some lemurs! =)) :)) :lol:
Cowabunga, dude!!

WHat's the name of the kiteboarder on the place yonder? Must get his opinion.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 4th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:Dudes!
I'm gonna have to start talking like a surfer, as you check out the latest approach to primatology that I MUST try out: :-o :-o :-o
http://www.babaomby.com/en/index.php

Yes, they have lemurs in the forests there, and I was planning on surveying that region. B-) B-)

Oh WOW!!

Hang five, then study some lemurs! =)) :)) :lol:
Cowabunga, dude!!

WHat's the name of the kiteboarder on the place yonder? Must get his opinion.
that would be Dukestheheat aka Paul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Reptiles Suck

Post by Lavabe » June 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Thanks DukePA... I sent him a PM over yonder.

Miles: Glad to see you're settling down. I expect a full report in the appropriate thread about meeting BD.

Looks like I am going to have to survey a little in mangrove swamps. YCCH! Here's the worst part... I haven't figured out if there are Nilotic crocodiles there in these swamps. No one's been in these swamps, but crocodiles DO exist in similar habitats in the region.

I know, STAY AWAY FROM THE CROCODILE!
:-ss b-( b-( [-x

I'm pretty good at that, but any ideas what I need to do if I really DO meet a crocodile?

ETA: NOTE: After posting this, I suddenly realized that the readers don't know that I normally carry a machete, and I'm usually with at least two other people. I also realize that there could be some fun answers to this question...

PAGING SUE!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Lavabe on June 4th, 2009, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Reptiles Suck

Post by wilson » June 4th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Lavabe wrote:
I'm pretty good at that, but any ideas what I need to do if I really do meet a crocodile?
Run away as quickly as you can in a wide zig-zag pattern. Crocs and alligators can't handle that kind of movement very well. In a straight line, they're shockingly fast.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 4th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:Thanks DukePA... I sent him a PM over yonder.

Miles: Glad to see you're settling down. I expect a full report in the appropriate thread about meeting BD.

Looks like I am going to have to survey a little in mangrove swamps. YCCH! Here's the worst part... I haven't figured out if there are Nilotic crocodiles there in these swamps. No one's been in these swamps, but crocodiles DO exist in similar habitats in the region.

I know, STAY AWAY FROM THE CROCODILE!
:-ss b-( b-( [-x

I'm pretty good at that, but any ideas what I need to do if I really DO meet a crocodile?

ETA: NOTE: After posting this, I suddenly realized that the readers don't know that I normally carry a machete, and I'm usually with at least two other people. I also realize that there could be some fun answers to this question...

PAGING SUE!! :mrgreen:

Never smile at a crocodile.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 4th, 2009, 5:28 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I'm pretty good at that, but any ideas what I need to do if I really do meet a crocodile?
Run away as quickly as you can in a wide zig-zag pattern. Crocs and alligators can't handle that kind of movement very well. In a straight line, they're shockingly fast.
It's mangrove swamp. You don't run in that stuff.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 4th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
How do they react to lasers? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 4th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Well I caught that part, but it beats the alternative (at least before you decide to inform everyone that you have a machete).
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 4th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Lavabe wrote: I'm pretty good at that, but any ideas what I need to do if I really DO meet a crocodile?

Well, the general rule in Scuba is, you don't need to outswim the shark, just your dive buddy. :D

I assume similar rules apply here - can you use your machete to, ahem, slow down one of your compatriots?

:-t (just kidding, of course. Unless there really is a croc chasing you. then all bets are off.)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 4th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Sue71 wrote:How do they react to lasers? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Way to go, Sis!!

I'm waiting for a devildeac response. I think I know what he'll suggest.

Wilson: I know, but machetes are great for clearing brush. They are terribly slow to use against a fast reptile. Pirate swords would be even slower to use. :ar!

Tilly: what was the secret to dealing with gators in "Live and Let Die?"
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 4th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:Tilly: what was the secret to dealing with gators in "Live and Let Die?"
I recall James ran across their backs to get to the mainland, but I think he did something first to distract them and I'm drawing a blank.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 4th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Sue71 wrote:How do they react to lasers? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Way to go, Sis!!

I'm waiting for a devildeac response. I think I know what he'll suggest.

Wilson: I know, but machetes are great for clearing brush. They are terribly slow to use against a fast reptile. Pirate swords would be even slower to use. :ar!

Tilly: what was the secret to dealing with gators in "Live and Let Die?"
Throw them an ale? Or pilsner? :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 5th, 2009, 12:15 am

1. Wear croc repellent.
2. A gun. A very large gun, perhaps a double barreled shot gun or something similar with more kick.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com