Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2010, 1:07 pm

EarlJam wrote:Has anyone mentioned Sam Adam's Oktoberfest yet? I'm getting caught up on the boards.

Had two of these last night. By far my favorite of the Sam Adams line.

-EarlJam
See captmojo's post. :-B
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 15th, 2010, 7:25 pm

I hope I remember to pack up my traders for tomorrow's Brunchgate.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Hazelnut Brown Nectar-Rogue

Probably one of my favorite brown ales. I haven't had one of these in quite a few years and CB&B put one in a bomber trading pack a couple weeks back. It's a bit light for a brown ale but full of flavors including milk chocolate and, of course, hazelnut, which is added as an extract. This is comprised of 9 malts and 2 hops, has an IBU of 33 and an estimated ABV of 5.6%, based on a Plato of 14/2.5. Good with BBQ entrees, including chicken, pork or beef, and stews. Would also make a pleasant dessert beer, served slightly chilled. ^:)^ :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 9:23 pm

No. 21 Moe's Backroom Pale Ale-Taproom Brewing Company

New brew and brewery, tasted as a treat from CB&B today at Brunchgate. Technically, it was a trader as he brought this as a cheapie beer and I "traded" him a Seven Sisters Abbey Ale from the Highland Brewing Company in return. His was $6 for the 6er. Mine was $2 so I won/get the cheap beer of the day award. My prize was seven %$#&ing turnovers, and I don't mean pastries X( .

Back to the brew. This was a fairly standard pale ale with more of a piney/resinous taste and a modest malty backbone. Yellow-golden, good foam and it was a nive beverage with some smoked salmon and teriyaki cod as part of the Brunchgate menu. Or did I have this with my bacon, egg and cheese bisquit? I'd guess the IBu to be about 50 and the ABV to be 5%. Good session starting beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 11:05 pm

XXXXX Stout-Pike Brewing

Ahh, another brew I haven't had for years enjoyed as part of CB&B's bomber today at Brunchgate. This falls in between a standard stout and an imperial stout with an IBU of 70 and ABV of 7%. The pour is a viscous, motor engine oil consistency onyx color with a medium tan head and a dark chocolate-y scent and taste. I forgot which Brunchgate delicacy we enjoyed this with. Coulda been the smoked salmon or the teriyaki grilled/smoked cod or even the banananana nut or chocolate chip bread. Or was it the coffee cake or the pecan rolls? It mighta even been sipped with the scrambled eggs, bacon and hot sausage. I just know it was NOT with one (or several) of the 7 turnovers from the afternoon X( . You could round up your usual chocolate or coffee-based dessert suspects,too, and be very happy.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti-Great Divide

Amazing beer. An imperial stout aged on oak chips with coffee added. Black and viscous with the taste of a good strong cuppa Joe with a generous shot of whiskey added and some dark chocolate syrup. I'd wager the IBU to be rather high as most imperial stouts are usually in the 70-85 range. The ABV is 9.5% and, served at air temperature at Brunchgate which was about 55, it was a bit boozey. The pecan rolls, coffee cake and banananana chocolate chip bread were nice pairs with the stout. This would also be highly tasty in a snifter for dessert by itself or with other chocolate baked goods. I think I have had this one other time at Tyler's on draft as my dessert that evening. It was even better from the tap, IIRC. :clap: :clap: and ^:)^ ^:)^ to CB&B for this selection/contribution.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 17th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Sounds like Drew Carey's 'Buzz Beer'. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 17th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter.
Ok...this is a weird beer. It does have a bit of a coffee presence, and it does have a vanilla presence. Beyond that, it's hard to say what it has. Whoever came up with the "Vanilla java" mix though is a damn genius. I've been sitting here just sipping away...and really enjoying this! It's one of those beers that you don't think about until you are looking up through the neck hoping for another drop to come out. If you pay attention to it, (like for a review) the coffee stands out well. If you don't pay attention to it then the coffee melts into the background, like tasting a chocolate covered espresso bean. This is like a coffee covered espresso bean in a bottle. With alchohol. Can't give the pour qualities, since I drank it out of the bottle..but I'm sure DD will clue us in, he has one too. I wish I had bought more than only 2, I will in the future. Really good stuff.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2010, 10:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter.
Ok...this is a weird beer. It does have a bit of a coffee presence, and it does have a vanilla presence. Beyond that, it's hard to say what it has. Whoever came up with the "Vanilla java" mix though is a damn genius. I've been sitting here just sipping away...and really enjoying this! It's one of those beers that you don't think about until you are looking up through the neck hoping for another drop to come out. If you pay attention to it, (like for a review) the coffee stands out well. If you don't pay attention to it then the coffee melts into the background, like tasting a chocolate covered espresso bean. This is like a coffee covered espresso bean in a bottle. With alchohol. Can't give the pour qualities, since I drank it out of the bottle..but I'm sure DD will clue us in, he has one too. I wish I had bought more than only 2, I will in the future. Really good stuff.
Sounds interesting. I'll have mine later this week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Claymore Scotch Ale-Great Divide

You're gonna notice a theme here with Great Divide products in recent and future tastings. Trader on Saturday from CB&B. This ale is fairly true to the style with a dark brown-red color, light hop presence, a bit of smokiness or peati-ness and a ton of dark caramel flavors. IBU appear modest at 30-40 and the ABV is 7.7%. Good brew to drink with ribs, chili, beef brisket or a marinated and grilled pork tenderloin. I would have enjoyed this more after a W or with a few less turnovers. Did I mention we had 7 yesterday X( ? My favorite in this category is still the SA Scotch Ale but I'd certain have another of these :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 10:26 am

Agave Wheat-Breckenridge

Another new brew to my palate from this weekend's trader from CB&B. Pours a cloudy, yellow-golden with a mild amount of fizz and a pleasing aroma of citrus (orange) and tastes of the same and perhaps papaya, mango and apple, probably from adding the agave. 6 malts (including 2 wheat) and 3 hops comprise this brew but there's not much hop presence with an IBU of 9! Much less than that and it would be grocery store beer and Cathy would be looking for it, tasting it and reviewing it ;) :)) =)) .The ABV is 4.2%, about par for this style of beer. All kidding aside, this was a very pleasant beer that would be marvelous with a fruit plate before or after dinner or sitting on a rocker on your porch on a hot summer afternoon.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 18th, 2010, 10:31 am

devildeac wrote:Agave Wheat-Breckenridge

Another new brew to my palate from this weekend's trader from CB&B. Pours a cloudy, yellow-golden with a mild amount of fizz and a pleasing aroma of citrus (orange) and tastes of the same and perhaps papaya, mango and apple, probably from adding the agave.
Obviously the breakfast of champions for you this morning! B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 10:38 am

CathyCA wrote:CathyCA reviews a beer:

Endless River Kolsch-Style Ale by Mother Eareth Brewing in Kinston.

I got these beers as a gift from one of my law partners when I went downtown and got a bond reduction for one of his clients.

The appearance: This beer poured like a beer. It's golden, like a regular grocery store beer. The head was a bit foamy, but it all fit in my beer glass.

The aroma: This beer smells yeasty. It smells like liquid bread. I haven't tasted it yet.

The taste: This beer tastes weird, almost metallic. Maybe a few more sips would make the taste more palatable. (More sips) It's still kind of weird tasting along the sides of my tongue. It is bitter and on the dry side. (More sips) I'm halfway through this beer now, and the metallic taste is gone. It still tastes bitter and dry. (More sips) It's still cold, bitter and dry. (The end) this was a dry, bitter beer.

The feel: The carbonation is small, fine and tickly. I like that part. This beer feels better than it tastes. I really do like the fine bubbles. They lasted through the entire beer. It never went flat.

The stats: 4.9% ABV.

The bottle: The bottle is brown, and the label depicts a watercolor painting of a river with a bridge crossing it. "Peace, Love & Beer" is printed along the bottom of the label.

Overall: I won't drink this beer again. I think I'll give the other 5 bottles away. Thanks for letting me review a beer in the Ymm Beer thread. It was fun playing along with the pros.
Not only do you have beer reviews in your talent portfolio now but you are being quoted for it. :ymapplause: again.

Endless River-Mother Earth Brewing

I honestly don't have much to add to Cathy's very well written review. I will quibble with the bitterness description. It is a kolsch and is probably one of the least bitter of all beer styles. I'd guess this has an IBU rating of about 10. Much less and it would be convenience/grocery store beer and approaching budlite status. This is another brew that would be enjoyable with a plate of fruit or a mild grilled fish with a little bit of pineapple or mango salsa. Or, on your porch on a hot summer's eve.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 18th, 2010, 11:49 am

devildeac wrote:Claymore Scotch Ale-Great Divide

You're gonna notice a theme here with Great Divide products in recent and future tastings. Trader on Saturday from CB&B. This ale is fairly true to the style with a dark brown-red color, light hop presence, a bit of smokiness or peati-ness and a ton of dark caramel flavors. IBU appear modest at 30-40 and the ABV is 7.7%. Good brew to drink with ribs, chili, beef brisket or a marinated and grilled pork tenderloin. I would have enjoyed this more after a W or with a few less turnovers. Did I mention we had 7 yesterday X( ? My favorite in this category is still the SA Scotch Ale but I'd certain have another of these :D .
I'm a big fan of this beer though I can never find it around..speaking of SA Scotch Ale, they are apparently producing a more potent Wee Heavy as one of the next release in their Imperial line..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 1:40 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:Claymore Scotch Ale-Great Divide

I'm a big fan of this beer though I can never find it around..speaking of SA Scotch Ale, they are apparently producing a more potent Wee Heavy as one of the next release in their Imperial line..
An imperial Scotch ale. Very interesting concept/plan. I'll certainly buy a 4 pack if/when I see one. =p~
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 18th, 2010, 3:03 pm

devildeac wrote:

I got these beers as a gift from one of my law partners when I went downtown and got a bond reduction for one of his clients.

The appearance: This beer poured like a beer. It's golden, like a regular grocery store beer. The head was a bit foamy, but it all fit in my beer glass.

The aroma: This beer smells yeasty. It smells like liquid bread. I haven't tasted it yet.

The taste: This beer tastes weird, almost metallic. Maybe a few more sips would make the taste more palatable. (More sips) It's still kind of weird tasting along the sides of my tongue. It is bitter and on the dry side. (More sips) I'm halfway through this beer now, and the metallic taste is gone. It still tastes bitter and dry. (More sips) It's still cold, bitter and dry. (The end) this was a dry, bitter beer.

The feel: The carbonation is small, fine and tickly. I like that part. This beer feels better than it tastes. I really do like the fine bubbles. They lasted through the entire beer. It never went flat.

The bottle: The bottle is brown, and the label depicts a watercolor painting of a river with a bridge crossing it. "Peace, Love & Beer" is printed along the bottom of the label.

Overall: I won't drink this beer again. I think I'll give the other 5 bottles away. Thanks for letting me review a beer in the Ymm Beer thread. It was fun playing along with the pros.
Not only do you have beer reviews in your talent portfolio now but you are being quoted for it. :ymapplause: again.

I honestly don't have much to add to Cathy's very well written review. I will quibble with the bitterness description. It is a kolsch and is probably one of the least bitter of all beer styles. I'd guess this has an IBU rating of about 10. Much less and it would be convenience/grocery store beer and approaching budlite status. This is another brew that would be enjoyable with a plate of fruit or a mild grilled fish with a little bit of pineapple or mango salsa. Or, on your porch on a hot summer's eve.
I still think it was a bitter beer. That's why I shared.

Thanks for complimenting my beer review. I'll stick to grocery store beer from now on. I promise.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 4:35 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I still think it was a bitter beer. That's why I shared.

Thanks for complimenting my beer review. I'll stick to grocery store beer from now on. I promise.
They sell Ommegang Witte and Hoegaarden at grocery stores, too. They are wheat ales that are lighter in body/taste you might find to your liking. ;) :-*
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 18th, 2010, 5:09 pm

devildeac wrote: They sell Ommegang Witte and Hoegaarden at grocery stores, too. They are wheat ales that are lighter in body/taste you might find to your liking. ;) :-*
Maybe someday I'll try these. Thanks for the recommendation.

And if they don't work out for me, I know where to take them. :beer:

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 11:22 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: They sell Ommegang Witte and Hoegaarden at grocery stores, too. They are wheat ales that are lighter in body/taste you might find to your liking. ;) :-*
Maybe someday I'll try these. Thanks for the recommendation.

And if they don't work out for me, I know where to take them. :beer:
CB&B and I will always have an open place in our hearts, err, 6 packs for any more of your unwanted beers. :D
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm

All because...
Rent is too damn high! :ymapplause:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"