Here we go again

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Here we go again

Post by Lavabe » October 6th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm join Bob for a skate and remind folks we agreed to stop dwelling on OY. Complaints (about anything) are fine, but it might be a better idea to post them in the LTE instead of it's own thread.
Now that I no longer where the green jacket, I can stay in my barcolounger. I am, however, ready in my designated role as CTN undertaker to bury ANY thread that needs to be buried.
;)

Drive-by countdown begins right now...
:!!
I think I lost a few pounds when I gave up the green jacket. :ymcowboy:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » October 6th, 2010, 10:03 pm

CathyCA wrote:I don't know why you guys go over there. Either you like it and you go over there, or you don't like it and you stay away.
What she said.

Whining about DBR 18 months after an unbelievably stupid conflagration is just pathetic. Get over it. Post both places, or one, or neither, according to your preferences. But either way, act like an adult for God's sake.
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » October 6th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm join Bob for a skate and remind folks we agreed to stop dwelling on OY. Complaints (about anything) are fine, but it might be a better idea to post them in the LTE instead of it's own thread.
Now that I no longer where the green jacket, I can stay in my barcolounger. I am, however, ready in my designated role as CTN undertaker to bury ANY thread that needs to be buried.
;)

Drive-by countdown begins right now...
:!!
To ensure that we'll have a drive-by, we COULD set up a TIGER WOODS RYDER CUP DISCUSSION THREAD.

Just sayin'. :D
I didn't get to see the Ryder Cup. How did the egoist do? I had the impression he screwed the doubles matches as usual but kicked ass in his singles match. But I barely read the recap.
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » October 6th, 2010, 10:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Bob, I love you and would never say anything negative to you at all. And like I said, Jason said all the love words to me while whipping me with his wet noodle. ("Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears" are all love words to the citizens of Rome that Julius Caesar used to get into their hearts and souls when he made his speech to them when they thought he was the bad guy, when he wasn't) I just don't like the rep points and pitchforks. At all. Nor do I like the anonymous "comments" made by folks making comments. And, some of the moderation, not yours or Della's or usually Jason's, is a "bit" heavy handed. I'll stop now.
I will say this, I don't like the reputation system either. It's too manipulable for hijinksical purposes. I lost this argument, and there we are.

Amusingly, even as an [almost totally inactive] mod, I have only two pitchforks. I think this is because I've barely posted in the last six months. I've been out of state a lot. Who cares.
allen

Post by allen » October 6th, 2010, 10:14 pm

throatybeard wrote:
I will say this, I don't like the reputation system either. It's too manipulable for hijinksical purposes. I lost this argument, and there we are.

Amusingly, even as an [almost totally inactive] mod, I have only two pitchforks. I think this is because I've barely posted in the last six months. I've been out of state a lot. Who cares.

Three times I sent a PM to a mod and asked that my pitchforks be removed as I didn't want to be in Junior High School anymore. I just didn't want to play the popularity game. All three times the mod said it would be done. It never was. So I quit.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 6th, 2010, 10:30 pm

throatybeard wrote:
Lavabe wrote:To ensure that we'll have a drive-by, we COULD set up a TIGER WOODS RYDER CUP DISCUSSION THREAD.

Just sayin'. :D
I didn't get to see the Ryder Cup. How did the egoist do? I had the impression he screwed the doubles matches as usual but kicked ass in his singles match. But I barely read the recap.
I barely saw things as well (academic conference). However, Woods went 3-1; and the first round matchup marked a good comeback on his part. HORRIBLE opening round conditions. Absolutely pathetic conditions.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 6th, 2010, 11:36 pm

allen wrote:Three times I sent a PM to a mod and asked that my pitchforks be removed as I didn't want to be in Junior High School anymore. I just didn't want to play the popularity game. All three times the mod said it would be done. It never was. So I quit.
I have no idea which DBR Moderators :Police: told you they would remove your pitchforks but I can assure you as a DBR Moderator :Police: I cannot remove Tridents (pitchforks). The only way I can effect any posters reputation is to submit comments just like any other registered DBR participant.

I believe the system is being misinterpreted. The intent is to provide a vehicle to facilitate self moderation. Given enough time, posters who consistently contribute positively to the forum will standout, as will posters who consistently contribute negatively to the forum. The vast majority of posters will lay somewhere in between (visualize the normal curve).

As far as receiving negative comments, of my most recent 10 comments received, three have been negative. One person signed their comment so I reflected upon what they had to say while ignoring the other two.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 7th, 2010, 5:11 am

I don't get the pitchfork system. If you want to say something to someone, post it or PM it. The comment system is just a way to take cowardly, ANONYMOUS potshots at people, IMHO. If someone is being particularly ugly, can the mods figure out who made the comments?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 7th, 2010, 8:04 am

bjornolf wrote:I don't get the pitchfork system. If you want to say something to someone, post it or PM it. The comment system is just a way to take cowardly, ANONYMOUS potshots at people, IMHO. If someone is being particularly ugly, can the mods figure out who made the comments?

@};-
I sent a PM to the other mods last night asking about thoughts on closing this thread. Since one of them responded already in the thread, it's possible my PM didn't go out. Anyways, we as a community agreed that if we had questions or complaints about OY they would be best served if they are posted OY. They won't change much if we keep our thoughts to ourselves. I'm still in favor of locking this thread since it doesn't do much except to serve as an off-site complaint department for OY.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 7th, 2010, 8:21 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I don't get the pitchfork system. If you want to say something to someone, post it or PM it. The comment system is just a way to take cowardly, ANONYMOUS potshots at people, IMHO. If someone is being particularly ugly, can the mods figure out who made the comments?

@};-
I sent a PM to the other mods last night asking about thoughts on closing this thread. Since one of them responded already in the thread, it's possible my PM didn't go out. Anyways, we agreed that if we had questions or complaints about OY they would be best served if they are posted OY. They won't change much if we keep our thoughts to ourselves. I'm still in favor of locking this thread since it doesn't do much except to serve as an off-site complaint department for OY.
I think this thread has run its course.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 7th, 2010, 8:23 am

I just checked in and voted, CB&B. Bless your heart for being on top of this.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe