Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Hop Devil (or, in CTN smilie terms: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: ) :D -Victory

This is a full-bodied IPA and I haven't had one of these in a while 'cuz they were just so brutal on the palate. Maybe I have become accustomed to the high IBU brews. Maybe they changed the recipe a tad and added more malt to balance the tastes a bit more. IDK but this was way tasty. Citrus/grapefruity hop nose and taste and pungent ones, too. There is almost a black-peppery taste to this brew. I think the caramel malts balance this better now. I'd guess the IBU to be about 70 and the ABV is on the bottle @ 6.7%. This would be great with Thai or Indian food or black pepper chicken or fish. I got this as a trader from one of the drug reps who calls on the office.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 29th, 2010, 5:44 am

devildeac wrote: I got this as a trader from one of the drug reps who calls on the office.
I always knew that these guys truly had a higher calling. :D

I have a fine collection of ink pens. :twitch: :whistle:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » September 29th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Check out this cool poster that I can't post here because the image is larger than 700 pixels.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2010, 2:44 pm

I gotta locate something special from the "cellar" tonight to celebrate this day. :D :ymdevil:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Johnboy wrote:Check out this cool poster that I can't post here because the image is larger than 700 pixels.
Awesome. Wish I could read all the fine print to see how many of the named beers I have had. I think.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2010, 5:47 pm

devildeac wrote:I gotta locate something special from the "cellar" tonight to celebrate this day. :D :ymdevil:
The selection has been made and is cooling now. :D

:ymdevil:

=p~
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 30th, 2010, 10:20 pm

devildeac wrote:I gotta locate something special from the "cellar" tonight to celebrate this day. :D :ymdevil:
Due to...??

Oh yeah. the 18,000 posts about Austin Rivers that didn't go for naught? :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2010, 11:05 pm

captmojo wrote:
Due to...??

Oh yeah. the 18,000 posts about Austin Rivers that didn't go for naught? :))
It was only 3104, but who's counting? :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2010, 11:19 pm

devildeac wrote:
The selection has been made and is cooling now. :D

:ymdevil:

=p~
Monster Ale- 2004 vintage-Brooklyn Brewing

This is an awesome save and find and I can't believe I had one of these left. Well, actually two so I'm open for suggestions/negotiations :D . It is astounding what a brew like this does after 6 years. Each year they brew this, it is really quite drinkable when purchased but, after 6 years, this has taken on amazing characteristics of a sherry and some features of a scotch. The nose is very complex with a bit of smoky peat/scotch ale/scotch, tobacco and dark fruit. The tastes follow this up with cloying sweetness, like a dark brown sugar syrup, with the bitterness much toned down. This all follows through the entire glass which I sipped over about an hour, starting at cellar temperature and allowing it to warm to pretty much room temperature. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90 but this is so smooth after aging, and the ABV is on the bottle at 11% and I doubt this has changed much since about October, 2004, when I bought this.

I would strongly urge folks who really enjoy their high gravity brews to cellar a bottle for several years and then pull them out for special occasions like births, graduations, marriages, national championships, #1 recruits verbals, carolina (FB and/or BB) going to hell, or ALL of the above.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 1st, 2010, 7:58 pm

CathyCA reviews a beer:

Endless River Kolsch-Style Ale by Mother Eareth Brewing in Kinston.

I got these beers as a gift from one of my law partners when I went downtown and got a bond reduction for one of his clients.

The appearance: This beer poured like a beer. It's golden, like a regular grocery store beer. The head was a bit foamy, but it all fit in my beer glass.

The aroma: This beer smells yeasty. It smells like liquid bread. I haven't tasted it yet.

The taste: This beer tastes weird, almost metallic. Maybe a few more sips would make the taste more palatable. (More sips) It's still kind of weird tasting along the sides of my tongue. It is bitter and on the dry side. (More sips) I'm halfway through this beer now, and the metallic taste is gone. It still tastes bitter and dry. (More sips) It's still cold, bitter and dry. (The end) this was a dry, bitter beer.

The feel: The carbonation is small, fine and tickly. I like that part. This beer feels better than it tastes. I really do like the fine bubbles. They lasted through the entire beer. It never went flat.

The stats: 4.9% ABV.

The bottle: The bottle is brown, and the label depicts a watercolor painting of a river with a bridge crossing it. "Peace, Love & Beer" is printed along the bottom of the label.

Overall: I won't drink this beer again. I think I'll give the other 5 bottles away. Thanks for letting me review a beer in the Ymm Beer thread. It was fun playing along with the pros.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 1st, 2010, 8:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:CathyCA reviews a beer:.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause:
CathyCA wrote: I think I'll give the other 5 bottles away.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

:ymhug:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 2nd, 2010, 1:10 am

CathyCA wrote:CathyCA reviews a beer:

I got these beers as a gift from one of my law partners when I went downtown and got a bond reduction for one of his clients.

The appearance: This beer poured like a beer. It's golden, like a regular grocery store beer. The head was a bit foamy, but it all fit in my beer glass.

The aroma: This beer smells yeasty. It smells like liquid bread. I haven't tasted it yet.

The taste: This beer tastes weird, almost metallic. Maybe a few more sips would make the taste more palatable. (More sips) It's still kind of weird tasting along the sides of my tongue. It is bitter and on the dry side. (More sips) I'm halfway through this beer now, and the metallic taste is gone. It still tastes bitter and dry. (More sips) It's still cold, bitter and dry. (The end) this was a dry, bitter beer.

The feel: The carbonation is small, fine and tickly. I like that part. This beer feels better than it tastes. I really do like the fine bubbles. They lasted through the entire beer. It never went flat.

The bottle: The bottle is brown, and the label depicts a watercolor painting of a river with a bridge crossing it. "Peace, Love & Beer" is printed along the bottom of the label.

Overall: I won't drink this beer again. I think I'll give the other 5 bottles away. Thanks for letting me review a beer in the Ymm Beer thread. It was fun playing along with the pros.
That was well done. Thanks for sharing. CB&B and I will take a bottle each on 10/16 if there are any left. Ozzie might drink one and I'll be AW or dpslaw would like one, too.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 2nd, 2010, 6:48 am

devildeac wrote:

That was well done. Thanks for sharing. CB&B and I will take a bottle each on 10/16 if there are any left. Ozzie might drink one and I'll be AW or dpslaw would like one, too.
You've got it!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 2nd, 2010, 7:41 pm

Great review!! Thanks for sharing...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 2nd, 2010, 11:02 pm

Flower Power-Ithaca Beer Company

This is a pungent IPA with a strong grapefruity taste and aroma with a nice amount of zestiness. Light caramel flavors provide a fairly good balance. This would make a nice match with curry and spicy or peppery dishes. Pours slightly cloudy (nor sure if it is bottle conditioned) and an orange-yellow color. The ingredients are here:

Flower Power India Pale Ale
Availability: Year Round, Limited
Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously Punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.
Flower Power bottle and glass

IBUs:

ABV:

7.5%

Malt:

2-Row, Honey malt

Hops:

Columbus, Cascade, Ahtanum

Dry hop:

Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial

Quite the pleasant surprise brought to Brunchgate by Scott (hopefully I remembered his name correctly :ymblushing: ) a couple weeks ago. Once again, Cathy, he's welcome back any time :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 3rd, 2010, 7:48 pm

60 Minute IPA-DFH

A classic IPA with herbal/cannabis aroma and tastes. Mildly bitter/hoppy and pretty well balanced. This is a yellow pour, modest head and pairs well with mild to moderately spicy dishes. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60 and the ABV is 6%. I shoulda had this first after the game yesterday and the 75 IBU/7.5% ABV Flower Power IPA 2nd but did not do my research for these facts. You should drink the less bitter/lower alcohol brew 1st so your taste buds are not overpowered if you drink a high IBU/ABV beverage 1st.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » October 3rd, 2010, 10:11 pm

Well...cannabis has been known to make one hop.

It always worked that way on me. :twitch:

Jeez, look at me hop now. :happy-bouncyblue:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 4th, 2010, 11:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Endless River Kolsch-Style Ale by Mother Earth Brewing in Kinston.

You've got it!
Sure! I'll try it!

True story. Saturday night I took my mother out for dinner. Iordered a Bud Light and my mother surprised me by saying "I'll have the same." After a few sips she said "this beer has no taste." Sheesh! Tasted fine to me. I finished her beer and she ordered a scotch (Dewers).

I thought a few of you would get a kick out of this... =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 4th, 2010, 11:57 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
True story. Saturday night I took my mother out for dinner. Iordered a Bud Light and my mother surprised me by saying "I'll have the same." After a few sips she said "this beer has no taste." Sheesh! Tasted fine to me. I finished her beer and she ordered a scotch (Dewers).

We do! We do!...that's too funny. :)) :)) Way to go, Mom!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2010, 8:08 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:[That was well done. Thanks for sharing. CB&B and I will take a bottle each on 10/16 if there are any left. Ozzie might drink one and I'll be AW or dpslaw would like one, too.
You've got it!
Sure! I'll try it!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Listen to yo' mama, Ozzie! ;) :D