Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2010, 10:34 am

bluebeer wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebeer wrote:Founders Nemesis 2010..The 2nd year in the series from Founders. Last year was a wheatwine aged in maple barrels..This years its a big barleywine. Pours a thick dark brown with no head. Taste is roasted malts with lots and lots of chocolate and coffee. There is a decent hop bite typical of a west coast barleywine with some moderate bitterness. Some booziness but not overwhelming despite the 12% ABV. This is a very good beer and one of the most unique barleywines I have tried. Not overly sweet and very well balanced. The chocolate and coffee notes give it an almost imperial stout stout taste though its a bit less thick than most big stouts. Very very pricey at $5 per bottle (12oz) but I did treat myself to an extra one for the cellar.
I didn't realize that the Nemesis was going to be a different brew every year. $5 is pricey, but if it's really good it's worth it...just pretend your in an airport..then you have a bargain!
Good point..I feel better already :D
Or, have 1/2 a bottle one night and finish it the next night. Then it's only $2.50/serving.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 23rd, 2010, 10:40 am

devildeac wrote: Or, have 1/2 a bottle one night and finish it the next night. Then it's only $2.50/serving.
Given the 12% ABV, that would probably be the best approach..especially during the work week ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2010, 10:33 pm

bluebeer wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought the SA fall sampler tonight. 2 each of 6 beers, including the Harvest Pumpkin Ale...which I'm drinking now and is really, really good. In fact, this is now one of my favorite pumpkin ales I've had. The other will be in DD's trader.
The other offerings are Boston Lager. (-|
Black Lager (looks good, haven't had it yet)
Dunkelweiss (can get in the sampler only, good but not great)
Oktoberfest (haven't had it yet)
Irish Red. (-|
Like the Dukelweiss, the pumpkin is limited to the sampler pack only.
Not much of a review..but to reiterate...it's really, really good. :D
I sampled a few of these this past weekend..along with using the octoberfests from the sampler to make beer brats yesterday...Like you, I thought the Harvest Pumpkin was really really good.. I really wish I could get this in 6 packs (along with Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig in the winter)..The Black Lager and Irish Red were both average..
Harvest Pumpkin Ale-SA

This is a good pumpkin ale like CB&B and bluebeer said. I can actually taste the pumpkin in it along with a very nice subtle blend of spices and I'll guess cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. It is a darker amber ale with a slight hop bite and also tastes of caramel and brown sugar from the maltiness. I'll bet the IBU are about 20 and the ABV about 5.5%, perfect for an after dinner brew, with, what else but a slice of Granmama's pumpkin pie. Or some spice cookies.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2010, 10:59 pm

Blue Heron Pale Ale-Mendocino

Pretty classic brew here with a pale yellow color and a hint of citrus and a bit of caramel. All their brews are bottle conditioned so this is faintly cloudy and a bit sour. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 and the ABV on the bottle is 6.1%. A good match with any grilled fish or seafood or some grilled chicken, too.

It's just too &%$#ing hot to be drinking many high gravity brews now so I found this very refreshing. CB&B will see this in a 6er trader but not until next month. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Saison du Buff-DFH

From the brewers' lips/fingers to your ears/eyes:

This beer is collaboration between Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA), and Victory Brewing Company (Downington, PA).

The idea for this beer germinated way back in 2003 when the three guys (Sam from Dogfish, Greg from Stone and Bill from Victory) formed the BUFF alliance (Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor) - a noble endeavor with the goal to highlight the passion and camaraderie of the American craft brew movement.

So, BUFF didn't really do anything (beyond talk a lot of talk) until 2010 when the three brewers finally got together to jointly brew at beer at the Stone Brewery. Saison du BUFF will first be brewed at Stone and then replicated at each of the other two breweries - same recipe, same ingredients, three different breweries throughout 2010.

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe. The expected release dates for each brew are as follows:

Stone Brewing Co.- Late April 2010 (release date 5/3/2010, visit Stone Brewery for more information)

My thoughts:

Simon and Garfunkel. This is a saison style ale meaning it's a Belgian farmhouse type ale which is a bit funky, light, fruity (think apples and pears) and slightly cloudy, fizzy and light yellow. The Simon and Garfunkel reference is to the fact that this ale is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme ( :D ) and has those earthy aromas and also a nose of fir. This is one of the most unique smelling brews I have ever imbibed and is a fabulous summer/fall beverage and would be marvelous with grilled chicken or grouper or light fish with just a hint of lemon or pepper for the marinade/basting. IBU are estimated to be small at about 20 and the ABV is 6.8%. $3/12 ounces at Total Wine and not available as a 4 pack or 6er. Definitely worth a sample.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Golden Ale-Clipper City

Deep gold in color with floral and spicy hop aromas. Brewed with pale, carmel, and Munich malts balanced with Cascade, Centennial and Hersbrucker hops. Well rounded, fruity and complex. Pairs well with salads, mild cheeses and pulled pork BBQ.

That 's what the brewer says. Can't disagree. Matched well with Brunchgate :D . IBU about 30 and the ABV was 4.5% so a good session beer. Thanks to CB&B for sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 26th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Summerfest-Sierra Nevada

A tip of the mug to AW for sharing one of these with me yesterday. Seen many times, never purchased. A very pleasant summer lager with a gentle floral bouquet from the hops and a light caramel/malty taste. Perfect with all-beef wienies, bison burgers, fruit salad, veggies and baked beans :D . I'd guess the IBU to be about 20 and the ABV about 5%. Sounds like a beer you could enjoy one after the other (that would be two) or sample another beverage like the flying Fish Extra Pale Ale :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 26th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Extra Pale Ale-Flying Fish

Ahh, my favorite NJ brewery. Well, it's the only one I know :ymblushing: . Standard stuff here. Some piney hops and and a good malty backbone for this orange-yellow brew that was just fine with my all-beef hot dog. Or was it with my bison burger and baked beans :ymblushing: . I gonna guess the IBU about 40 and the ABV about 5%. Wonder what CB&B thought about this one...

:whistle: :-w
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2010, 8:02 am

Fat Dog-Stoudt's

It cooled down a bit last PM so what better way to greet a less hot (not cool yet) fall night than with an imperial stout. This is an opaque, deep brown brew rich with coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Oatmeal is added to the barley to give this a very smooth, silky mouth feel which balances the IBU of 55. The head is tan and 1-2 fingers and is fairly well retained. ABV is 9%. Let this one warm a bit before serving with a brownie, chocolate cake or by itself for your dessert some evening this fall or winter. And yes, Ozzie, this would be very good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a spoon or straw ;) :D .

They did age some batches of this in bourbon barrels and then caged and corked some 750 ml bottles but I doubt they made it out of Pennsylvania. Unless, of course, bluebeer made a special trip or put some on order from his favorite packaged goods store ;) :D .
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 27th, 2010, 9:37 am

devildeac wrote:Fat Dog-Stoudt's

It cooled down a bit last PM so what better way to greet a less hot (not cool yet) fall night than with an imperial stout. This is an opaque, deep brown brew rich with coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Oatmeal is added to the barley to give this a very smooth, silky mouth feel which balances the IBU of 55. The head is tan and 1-2 fingers and is fairly well retained. ABV is 9%. Let this one warm a bit before serving with a brownie, chocolate cake or by itself for your dessert some evening this fall or winter. And yes, Ozzie, this would be very good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a spoon or straw ;) :D .

They did age some batches of this in bourbon barrels and then caged and corked some 750 ml bottles but I doubt they made it out of Pennsylvania. Unless, of course, bluebeer made a special trip or put some on order from his favorite packaged goods store ;) :D .
I've had the regular Fat Dog but never had nor seen the bourbon barrel version, but man does that sound good.. =p~ =p~
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 27th, 2010, 9:47 am

Ommegang Cup o Kyndness--Ommegang's newest special brew this year..a belgian scotch ale. Pours a nice red brown with a foamy head. Fairly complicated tasting brew that comes together nicely. Big sweet caramel malts with some typical scotch ale smokiness. The belgian notes are there as well with bready yeast and dark fruitiness. A bit of a hoppy bite at the end though very subtle. I enjoyed this one a lot. It reminded me of a belgian dubbel with the smokiness of a scotch ale. 6.6% ABV. Ommegang is moving several of these special beers into their regular rotation and I hope this one makes the cut..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 27th, 2010, 9:58 am

Dogfish Head Namaste. I hadn't even heard of this beer before seeing a few bottles on the shelf of my local store. Apparently, the beer was created in support of a Belgian brewer that lost much of their brewery to a fire. One of their big 750ml bottles which I tend to pass on..A witbier with coriander, orange peel, and lemongrass.Pours a light golden yellow. Really really strong wheat taste...like drinking cracked wheat. There is a bit of yeast and some citrus fruit for balance but again dominated by the strong wheat. Not a bad beer and would be very enjoyable on a warm summer night. I think I have shifted too much into fall/winter dark beer mode to appreciate it..5% aBV...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2010, 9:58 am

bluebeer wrote:Ommegang Cup o Kyndness--Ommegang's newest special brew this year..a belgian scotch ale. Pours a nice red brown with a foamy head. Fairly complicated tasting brew that comes together nicely. Big sweet caramel malts with some typical scotch ale smokiness. The belgian notes are there as well with bready yeast and dark fruitiness. A bit of a hoppy bite at the end though very subtle. I enjoyed this one a lot. It reminded me of a belgian dubbel with the smokiness of a scotch ale. 6.6% ABV. Ommegang is moving several of these special beers into their regular rotation and I hope this one makes the cut..
I have not seen any of their "special release" brews in NC except Chocolate Indulgence and Biere de Mars (IIRC). The first was quite good and the 2nd was about $15 for the 750 ml bottle so I passed. Several times. :((
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 27th, 2010, 10:24 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:Ommegang Cup o Kyndness--Ommegang's newest special brew this year..a belgian scotch ale. Pours a nice red brown with a foamy head. Fairly complicated tasting brew that comes together nicely. Big sweet caramel malts with some typical scotch ale smokiness. The belgian notes are there as well with bready yeast and dark fruitiness. A bit of a hoppy bite at the end though very subtle. I enjoyed this one a lot. It reminded me of a belgian dubbel with the smokiness of a scotch ale. 6.6% ABV. Ommegang is moving several of these special beers into their regular rotation and I hope this one makes the cut..
I have not seen any of their "special release" brews in NC except Chocolate Indulgence and Biere de Mars (IIRC). The first was quite good and the 2nd was about $15 for the 750 ml bottle so I passed. Several times. :((
$15 is ridiculous..They run about 10 up here which is still pricey but occasionally forgivable ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2010, 11:46 am

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:
$15 is ridiculous..They run about 10 up here which is still pricey but occasionally forgivable ;)
CB&B and I have an unofficial price limit of about $10 when we trade/buy for each other. A couple Abita bombers can be had for about $5 and we have found the newly available Pike bombers to be $4 and $5. They're a "steal." Most of the stuff we share/trade/sell is in the $7-$10 range and we're pretty choosy about those. We had one of the Allagash specialty ales last year at a Brunchgate-when someone else brought it :D :)) =)) . I think it was the "4." Otherwise, we pass on those also as they are usually $14-18. :(( :((
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 27th, 2010, 2:48 pm

devildeac wrote: CB&B and I have an unofficial price limit of about $10 when we trade/buy for each other. A couple Abita bombers can be had for about $5 and we have found the newly available Pike bombers to be $4 and $5. They're a "steal." Most of the stuff we share/trade/sell is in the $7-$10 range and we're pretty choosy about those. We had one of the Allagash specialty ales last year at a Brunchgate-when someone else brought it :D :)) =)) . I think it was the "4." Otherwise, we pass on those also as they are usually $14-18. :(( :((
Prices seem to run higher here but I try to keep ~10-11 as my limit as well for a bomber...Unfortunately, there are very few options for $5 bombers..Lagunitas and Smuttynose are the exception. Stone/Great Divide/Avery/etc are all about 9-10 here. Despite buying plenty of them, I generally hate bombers. Unless its 5-6% ABV, I never drink a whole bomber in one night and I'm never as excited to finish it the next night. I'll splurge a few times a year on a special release up to $15 for a bomber or on a 4 pack in the 15-20 range but only for something really special...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2010, 2:53 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote: CB&B and I have an unofficial price limit of about $10 when we trade/buy for each other. A couple Abita bombers can be had for about $5 and we have found the newly available Pike bombers to be $4 and $5. They're a "steal." Most of the stuff we share/trade/sell is in the $7-$10 range and we're pretty choosy about those. We had one of the Allagash specialty ales last year at a Brunchgate-when someone else brought it :D :)) =)) . I think it was the "4." Otherwise, we pass on those also as they are usually $14-18. :(( :((
Prices seem to run higher here but I try to keep ~10-11 as my limit as well for a bomber...Unfortunately, there are very few options for $5 bombers..Lagunitas and Smuttynose are the exception. Stone/Great Divide/Avery/etc are all about 9-10 here. Despite buying plenty of them, I generally hate bombers. Unless its 5-6% ABV, I never drink a whole bomber in one night and I'm never as excited to finish it the next night. I'll splurge a few times a year on a special release up to $15 for a bomber or on a 4 pack in the 15-20 range but only for something really special...
I have bought some of the lower ABV Stone/Avery/Great Divide for $7-8 but the others are mostly $9-10. Do you have a wine cork/stopper that you can put in your 1/2 finished bomber? It loses a bit of fizz overnight but still is not bad the next day. I'm the same way with them being able to finish 1/2 one night and the other half the next night.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 27th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Duck Rabbit' Barleywine Ale.
I bet this is the lightest ale they brew, but that only applies to the color..everything else under the cap is pretty heavy.
Heavy alcohol at 11%, heavy body...it's like jello right before it starts to set, heavy flavor...it pounds your tastebuds.
This was either a trader or a purchase from one of his store runs, but either way Devildeac made a great choice. I've never had a bad Duck Rabbit brew, and this is the first of these I've seen. They are "The Dark Beer Specialist", so I was a bit surprised to see they made a barleywine. After a quick look at their website I see they also sell an amber ale, which I've never seen nor tried, so maybe they are expanding their recipes.
Anyways..back to the barleywine. Very malty, heavy on the alchohol notes, lotta bitterness. I think the bitterness comes more from the alcohol than hops, which are not easily detected. This is really fruity, a classic trait of a good barleywine..high on the esters. This would be a good one to share with a friend, a 12 ounce bottle can go a long way. Not because you should drink it slow, but because you pretty much have to. The bitterness, big flavor and high ABV don't make it easy to do anything more than sip. Great stuff, buy if you see it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2010, 9:30 am

St. Bridget's Porter-Great Divide

Can't find this brew on their web site. They may have stopped brewing it as the date on the bottle CB&B traded this weekend was 2/12/09 :)) =)) . It was fine to drink. Poured a mahogany/brown color with a small tan head. Wonderful nose of chocolate and java and tastes of the same. Would make a great beverage with chili, smoked meats, brisket, bison burgers or as a dessert brew, with or without a slice of a chocolate torte or pound cake. IBU probably 40 and ABV about 5-6%. Sure hope I have the right brewery. A nice trader I had never sampled before.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Milk Stout-Left Hand Brewing

I didn't have one of these at Brunchgate Saturday (just too &*%$ing hot) but dpslaw was kind enough to include one in my going away package so I enjoyed it last PM on a slightly cooler fall evening. For folks who don't like "dark" beers, you might wish to give this a try. Ozzie had one and liked it. I think it was the sweetness of the brew from the lactose sugar used in the brewing process. It is almost black, slighly viscous and has the aromas and tastes expected from a stout with a bit of coffee and a bit of dark chocolate. Its texture is enhanced by the use of oats in the brewing process which render it almost silky smooth. IBU about 40 and ABV probably <6%. Great with all the usual dessert suspects of CCC, brownies or chocolate chip pee-can pie or by itself. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would feel right at home in 4-6 ounces of this brew :D .