Advice needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Advice needed

Post by August West » September 24th, 2010, 11:31 am

I have a big job interview on next Tuesday afternoon. Should I wear my dark, almost black suit, or my grey one? :-? Thanks in advance, AW.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Advice needed

Post by CathyCA » September 24th, 2010, 11:46 am

August West wrote:I have a big job interview on next Tuesday afternoon. Should I wear my dark, almost black suit, or my grey one? :-? Thanks in advance, AW.
Oh boy. So much goes into this.

What do the suits look like? Which shirt will you choose? Which tie? How about your socks? And your shoes?

In which suit do you feel most comfortable?

What kind of firm is this? Is it a dark suit firm, or is it a business casual place, or somewhere in between?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2010, 12:11 pm

CathyCA wrote:
August West wrote:I have a big job interview on next Tuesday afternoon. Should I wear my dark, almost black suit, or my grey one? :-? Thanks in advance, AW.
Oh boy. So much goes into this.

What do the suits look like? Which shirt will you choose? Which tie? How about your socks? And your shoes?

In which suit do you feel most comfortable?

What kind of firm is this? Is it a dark suit firm, or is it a business casual place, or somewhere in between?
Cathy's correct. It's not easy. Several starter suggestions:

1. Make the socks match the suit.
2. Make sure your shoes are shined and match your suit.
3. Belt must match your shoes (brown/brown; black/black)
4. No loafers.
5. Have someone help you co-ordinating your suit/shirt/tie combo. I'd start with a white shirt or ecru or basic/business blue. Conservative tie pattern and colors with stripes or dots or diamonds or small paisleys.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » September 24th, 2010, 12:21 pm

go for the gray suit unless you see people there who wear suites everyday all day, in which case go blue.
Blue is considered more formal, so keep that in mind to the environment yuou are headed in to.

I supposed ultimately, the true answer is whicever suit you look better or feel better in
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » September 24th, 2010, 10:46 pm

knights68 wrote:
go for the gray suit unless you see people there who wear suites everyday all day, in which case go blue.
Blue is considered more formal, so keep that in mind to the environment yuou are headed in to.

I supposed ultimately, the true answer is whicever suit you look better or feel better in
I think the issue is being made too complicated. Here's the deal: "Wear what you will be most confident in."

Period.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 24th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Unless you're interviewing with the DevilwearsArmani, they are hiring a man (in your case), not a suit. If both suits look good on you, it doesn't matter.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 26th, 2010, 1:56 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Unless you're interviewing with the DevilwearsArmani, they are hiring a man (in your case), not a suit. If both suits look good on you, it doesn't matter.
What he said. :ymapplause:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 26th, 2010, 6:32 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Unless you're interviewing with the DevilwearsArmani, they are hiring a man (in your case), not a suit. If both suits look good on you, it doesn't matter.
If you're interviewing with me, what you're wearing matters. I'm certain there are others out there who notice whether the shoes are shined, the shirt was pressed, the belt matches the shoes, the socks were appropriate, the teeth were brushed, the nails were trimmed, etc.,
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 26th, 2010, 7:49 am

What's the deal with socks? I've heard so many different things. Are they supposed to match the belt/shoes, or the pants, or the shirt (yes, I've heard shirt before, though I assume that's wrong)?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 26th, 2010, 8:13 am

bjornolf wrote:What's the deal with socks? I've heard so many different things. Are they supposed to match the belt/shoes, or the pants, or the shirt (yes, I've heard shirt before, though I assume that's wrong)?

@};-
Socks should match the shoes. So, if you're wearing brown shoes, wear brown socks that match the shoes. Black shoes get black socks. White sneakers get white socks.

The idea is to create a monochromatic line from shoes to the cuff or hem of the pants.

Also, make sure that the socks aren't turned inside out.

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 26th, 2010, 8:24 am

CathyCA wrote:
Also, make sure that the socks aren't turned inside out.
I've heard that this was a good way to keep from getting sand and rocks in your shoes. :twitch:

On to a more serious note, everything said before is true. The only thing I'd add is that the look should speak 'Success'. When you do the mirror-check thingy, ask yourself if that's what you see, then, carry that attitude forward.
I've been a successful bullshit slinger for my entire life!

Maybe I should consider a shot at Bison shit-slinging. :-? :whistle:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
indoor66

Post by indoor66 » September 26th, 2010, 8:59 am

I'm more in the EJ and Ozzie camp. They will be hiring the person, not the clothing.

That said, it is important that the clothing be clean, well pressed and neat. Also the shoes MUST be shined and the fingernails clean and trimmed, hair trimmed neatly and combed appropriately.

Beyond that, you should show a pleasant, respectful attitude, enthusiasm for life and the job and keep smiling. GO GET 'EM.
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 26th, 2010, 9:04 am

indoor66 wrote:I'm more in the EJ and Ozzie camp. They will be hiring the person, not the clothing.

That said, it is important that the clothing be clean, well pressed and neat. Also the shoes MUST be shined and the fingernails clean and trimmed, hair trimmed neatly and combed appropriately.

Beyond that, you should show a pleasant, respectful attitude, enthusiasm for life and the job and keep smiling. GO GET 'EM.
AW's hair is already neatly trimmed, as is the beard. And we already know that he'll show a pleasant, respectful attitude with enthusiasm for life and the job. And have you ever seen AW when he's NOT smiling? :D

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 26th, 2010, 10:48 am

CathyCA wrote:
If you're interviewing with me, what you're wearing matters. I'm certain there are others out there who notice whether the shoes are shined, the shirt was pressed, the belt matches the shoes, the socks were appropriate, the teeth were brushed, the nails were trimmed, etc.,
August West is going to look fine in either suit. It's not like he pondering jeans or slacks. As Ozzie said, "if both suits look good on you". Just don't screw up and wear a ball cap as an accessory!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
indoor66

Post by indoor66 » September 26th, 2010, 11:31 am

CathyCA wrote:
indoor66 wrote:I'm more in the EJ and Ozzie camp. They will be hiring the person, not the clothing.

AW's hair is already neatly trimmed, as is the beard. And we already know that he'll show a pleasant, respectful attitude with enthusiasm for life and the job. And have you ever seen AW when he's NOT smiling? :D
I wouldn't know AW from Adams housecat. I am only responding to the thread. IMO, he has a great chance to succeed from the fact that he asked the question on the board he did! :D
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » September 26th, 2010, 1:33 pm

CathyCA wrote:
You must not interview too many software engineers. You'd have a lot of open headcount with those expectations. ;)
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » September 26th, 2010, 1:33 pm

CathyCA wrote:
You must not interview too many software engineers. You'd have a lot of open headcount with those expectations. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 26th, 2010, 1:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Yester*ay ab*ut 6 PM he was n*t smiling.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 26th, 2010, 5:03 pm

DevilAlumna wrote: You must not interview too many software engineers. You'd have a lot of open headcount with those expectations. ;)
No, thankfully I don't. I spent 20 years trying to teach ExLax that it's against the rules to wear black socks with sneakers or sandals. It was a losing battle.

Mostly, I interview paralegals and law students.

This reminds me: one of the things that I enjoyed about living in California is that you couldn't tell who had money and who didn't from the way they dressed. Bazillionnaire dot-commers dressed like complete slobs. Consequently, store clerks and restaurant wait staff were extremely courteous and helpful to everyone.

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 27th, 2010, 8:00 am

Tomorrow's the big day. Good luck, AW. Keep us posted. :wizard:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe