Tilly's Thursday Adventure

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Tilly's Thursday Adventure

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 6:38 pm

Working at Duke does at times present opportunities to see the rich and famous. I've even seen a real Duke, Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans. Today was just another ordinary day, or so I thought.

I was sitting on a bench outside the back of the medical center waiting for my boss and then my bus. I sat next to a young man wearing a Duke football t-shirt. I asked him if he goes to the games and said he was on the team. We talked about the Alabama game, the Army game, Coach Cut and Ted Roof, the young man told me he was a senior so he's been here through our good time and our bad times. Our conversation came to a close as his bus arrived. And reached out my hand and told him I enjoyed talking to him and that my name was Tilly. He told me his name is Chris Rwabukamba. My jaw dropped and my eyes bugged out of my head. He asked "you know who I am?" I said of course, you're one of the captains.

I have been on cloud 16, Chris's number, ever since.

While I know that athletes, famous people, and even infamous people come to Duke - university and medical center - I never expect to run into anyone, let alone one of the stars of the football team. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is Duke.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Tilly's Thursday Adventure

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 23rd, 2010, 6:40 pm

That's really cool. It's hard to recognize those guys when they are under helmets and pads when we usually see them.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 23rd, 2010, 6:46 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Working at Duke does at times present opportunities to see the rich and famous. I've even seen a real Duke, Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans. Today was just another ordinary day, or so I thought.

I was sitting on a bench outside the back of the medical center waiting for my boss and then my bus. I sat next to a young man wearing a Duke football t-shirt. I asked him if he goes to the games and said he was on the team. We talked about the Alabama game, the Army game, Coach Cut and Ted Roof, the young man told me he was a senior so he's been here through our good time and our bad times. Our conversation came to a close as his bus arrived. And reached out my hand and told him I enjoyed talking to him and that my name was Tilly. He told me his name is Chris Rwabukamba. My jaw dropped and my eyes bugged out of my head. He asked "you know who I am?" I said of course, you're one of the captains.

While I know that athletes, famous people, and even infamous people come to Duke - university and medical center - I never expect to run into anyone, let alone one of the stars of the football team. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is Duke.
That is soooo cool!! I'll bet you made his day too! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 23rd, 2010, 7:05 pm

I think we need a poster for the Blue Devil Walk on Saturday!

"Tilly :romance-heartbeating: # 16 Chris Rwabukamba"

He'd probably sign it on his way back to campus on the reverse Blue Devil walk.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 23rd, 2010, 7:37 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Working at Duke does at times present opportunities to see the rich and famous. I've even seen a real Duke, Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans. Today was just another ordinary day, or so I thought.

What a wonderful happenstance! I can't think of anyone who deserves such highlights than you, Tilly.

I've noticed the same sort of modest and unassuming attitude in others including some who've graduated. It's always a surprise to hear that from a football player. Maybe when Duke rises to the appropriate level, football players' names will be household names like the basketball players' are.
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » September 23rd, 2010, 8:08 pm

CathyCA wrote:I think we need a poster for the Blue Devil Walk on Saturday!

I think that is a great idea.

Thanks, Tilly, for sharing your adventure. It made my day. :ymhug:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 23rd, 2010, 8:16 pm

A poster is a great idea!

Tilly, thanks for telling us about your experience. That's a young man to be proud of! :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » September 23rd, 2010, 9:22 pm

Very cool! I agree with DukePA, that you probably made his day too - not only does he get to talk to a knowledgable and enthused Duke Football fan, but it's someone who recognizes his name AND knows he's a captain! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

Did he have anything specific to say about the 'Bama or Army games?
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:That's really cool. It's hard to recognize those guys when they are under helmets and pads when we usually see them.
I thought the same thing!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:29 pm

DukePA wrote:

That is soooo cool!! I'll bet you made his day too! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :9f:
I hope so!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:30 pm

I'm mulling over the poster idea. :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:32 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

What a wonderful happenstance! I can't think of anyone who deserves such highlights than you, Tilly.

I've noticed the same sort of modest and unassuming attitude in others including some who've graduated. It's always a surprise to hear that from a football player. Maybe when Duke rises to the appropriate level, football players' names will be household names like the basketball players' are.
Thank you for your kind words, Devil in the Blue Dress. I've heard that since the football team started doing well, the players have been recognized more often on campus. They deserve the recognition.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:32 pm

indoor66 wrote:

I think that is a great idea.

Thanks, Tilly, for sharing your adventure. It made my day. :ymhug:
I'm glad I could make your day, you made mine. :D :ymhug:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:34 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

A poster is a great idea!

Tilly, thanks for telling us about your experience. That's a young man to be proud of! :duke:
I agree! Chris Rwambukamba is someone to be proud of.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

Thank you for your kind words, Devil in the Blue Dress. I've heard that since the football team started doing well, the players have been recognized more often on campus. They deserve the recognition.
They certainly do! If you and I have our way, everybody will know those guys! :happy-bouncyblue:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 23rd, 2010, 9:48 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Very cool! I agree with DukePA, that you probably made his day too - not only does he get to talk to a knowledgable and enthused Duke Football fan, but it's someone who recognizes his name AND knows he's a captain! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

He is very confident they will beat Army. I commented that if they didn't it would be a real blow to the team's ego. I think they'll beat Army.

People's reaction to the 'Bama game has him bummed out. I got the feeling that people have been hard on the team over the loss. I told him I was proud of the team for going and playing the number 1 team in the country. I also stated that Duke is the only team to have scored a touchdown against 'Bama. He commented that Penn State only scored a field goal, and I said based on that we could beat Penn State. He didn't seem to buy that.

This team really does need to win Saturday. Not to keep any bowl hopes alive, but so this team can regain it's confidence.

Chris also spoke very highly of Coach Cut. I asked if Cut was as powerful a motivator for the team as he is for the rest of us. He said yes and that Cut will yell at you when you need to be yelled at. I gathered he doesn't miss Ted Roof.

Even before I realized who he was, I had a really good conversation with him. Now that I know who he is, there are so many more questions I have.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » September 23rd, 2010, 11:03 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:Very cool! I agree with DukePA, that you probably made his day too - not only does he get to talk to a knowledgable and enthused Duke Football fan, but it's someone who recognizes his name AND knows he's a captain! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

He is very confident they will beat Army. I commented that if they didn't it would be a real blow to the team's ego. I think they'll beat Army.

People's reaction to the 'Bama game has him bummed out. I got the feeling that people have been hard on the team over the loss. I told him I was proud of the team for going and playing the number 1 team in the country. I also stated that Duke is the only team to have scored a touchdown against 'Bama. He commented that Penn State only scored a field goal, and I said based on that we could beat Penn State. He didn't seem to buy that.

This team really does need to win Saturday. Not to keep any bowl hopes alive, but so this team can regain it's confidence.

Chris also spoke very highly of Coach Cut. I asked if Cut was as powerful a motivator for the team as he is for the rest of us. He said yes and that Cut will yell at you when you need to be yelled at. I gathered he doesn't miss Ted Roof.

Even before I realized who he was, I had a really good conversation with him. Now that I know who he is, there are so many more questions I have.
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it really was a great conversation with a stellar young man.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 24th, 2010, 8:07 pm

I'm still at a loss to understand why everybody was so "bummed out" at the Alabama results. I don't think it hurt us one iota! The only thing bad is that all the moaning and groaning MUST sadden the team. I believe they performed admirably. It was the STUDENTS who deserve a smack upside the head, bless their hearts! They just couldn't wait for the clock to wind down to leave and get on with their drinking. I agree with everything in the letter posted over yonder on the subject. As for all the big mouths over on 99.9 :bla bla bla: , etc, they can just put a sock in it.

When Ima gets a burr under her saddle, she's tough to live with.

Love, you-know-who. X(
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 24th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I'm still at a loss to understand why everybody was so "bummed out" at the Alabama results. I don't think it hurt us one iota! The only thing bad is that all the moaning and groaning MUST sadden the team. I believe they performed admirably. It was the STUDENTS who deserve a smack upside the head, bless their hearts! They just couldn't wait for the clock to wind down to leave and get on with their drinking. I agree with everything in the letter posted over yonder on the subject. As for all the big mouths over on 99.9 :bla bla bla: , etc, they can just put a sock in it.

Love, you-know-who. X(
I agree with you Ima. I could care less if others "disagree". I think 99.9 ran out of material for their show. I think it's called "jaw flaping. =)) GO DEVILS! :duke: :happy-bouncyblue:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 24th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I'm still at a loss to understand why everybody was so "bummed out" at the Alabama results. I don't think it hurt us one iota! The only thing bad is that all the moaning and groaning MUST sadden the team. I believe they performed admirably. It was the STUDENTS who deserve a smack upside the head, bless their hearts! They just couldn't wait for the clock to wind down to leave and get on with their drinking. I agree with everything in the letter posted over yonder on the subject. As for all the big mouths over on 99.9 :bla bla bla: , etc, they can just put a sock in it.

Love, you-know-who. X(
I thought our guys showed great character. They played hard and didn't quit even when the scoreboard was against them and their buddies were walking out. I was really proud of them! :duke: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.