Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 19th, 2010, 10:37 pm

devildeac wrote:Sweet Sixteen-6 month tasting

Too much foam this bottle but not spoiled. Just had to be patient and pour 3-4 ounces at the time at 3-4 minute intervals. Still carmel-licious and potent. I still think as this one aged, it became a bit more like an old ale than a barleywine but there's not that fine a line to me. Shoulda had this in a burgundy glass. I still need to go out and buy some snifters or small goblets for these types of brews.
I have a few goblets that I use frequently...they are great for these beers.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 10:39 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Sweet Sixteen-6 month tasting

Too much foam this bottle but not spoiled. Just had to be patient and pour 3-4 ounces at the time at 3-4 minute intervals. Still carmel-licious and potent. I still think as this one aged, it became a bit more like an old ale than a barleywine but there's not that fine a line to me. Shoulda had this in a burgundy glass. I still need to go out and buy some snifters or small goblets for these types of brews.
I have a few goblets that I use frequently...they are great for these beers.
I'll be buying myself 1 or 3 for Christmas this year. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Big A IPA-Smuttynose Brewing

Fooled my a$$. This was a trader from Brunchgate from CB&B so I decided to start sampling the 6er last PM and wanted a single brew as I was whipped from being up at 530 AM to be at a medical meeting at 730 AM and then 10 hours at Brunchgate. I thought this sounded/looked good and an IPA would be a fine night cap on a warm late summer evening. The grapefruitiness and orange zest exploded with the first couple sips and I thought this would be a real good IPA that I had never had before. The caramel malt sweetness balanced the bitterness well but I still thought it was a bit on the brutal side. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90. I had also guessed the ABV to be about 7%. Wrong. I can't find the IBU but this is an award winning brew and the ABV was 9.7%. No wonder I was barely able to stagger down the hall and collapse into bed for about a 7 hour sleep. Usually, the higher ABV brews will put their alcohol content on the bottle. Not these folks. This was not IPA. This is an IIPA and ready for battle with the other big IIPAs in America. I rarely reach for the Smuttynose brews but I'm gonna have to pick them up on a more regular basis now. Darn good choice, CB&B. Thanks. :clap:

So, as their bottle caps say: Make Mine a Smutty. :)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 19th, 2010, 11:40 pm

devildeac wrote:Big A IPA-Smuttynose Brewing

Fooled my a$$.
HA! I'd never seen this one before, it's sold in 4 packs for $10...I don't mind that price given that the brew is worth it. I've saved one myself for reviewing, but I doubt I'll have much to add except "I agree".
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2010, 7:50 am

Fooled my a$$.
HA! I'd never seen this one before, it's sold in 4 packs for $10...I don't mind that price given that the brew is worth it. I've saved one myself for reviewing, but I doubt I'll have much to add except "I agree".
What the heck. It'll get you another post. :)) =))

I am guessing that Big A IPA stands for Big Ass IPA considering its ABV and probably high IBU.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 20th, 2010, 8:29 am

Fooled my a$$.
It used to be part of their "big beer" series but they recently moved it into the regular rotation and into 4 packs. They also make an excellent regular IPA which comes in both bombers and 6 packs and at a more typical 6-7% ABV. One brew of theirs to look out for is their newest big beer "Really Old Brown Dog"..It's an Old Ale that hasn't been part of the big beer rotation for the past several years. I haven't tried the newest batch (as it's everywhere except for MA, despite the brewery being only 30 miles from me) but older batches of this were excellent. Hoping it hits stores here in the next week or two and I will be grabbing a few to cellar.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 20th, 2010, 8:34 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought the SA fall sampler tonight. 2 each of 6 beers, including the Harvest Pumpkin Ale...which I'm drinking now and is really, really good. In fact, this is now one of my favorite pumpkin ales I've had. The other will be in DD's trader.
The other offerings are Boston Lager. (-|
Black Lager (looks good, haven't had it yet)
Dunkelweiss (can get in the sampler only, good but not great)
Oktoberfest (haven't had it yet)
Irish Red. (-|
Like the Dukelweiss, the pumpkin is limited to the sampler pack only.
Not much of a review..but to reiterate...it's really, really good. :D
I sampled a few of these this past weekend..along with using the octoberfests from the sampler to make beer brats yesterday...Like you, I thought the Harvest Pumpkin was really really good.. I really wish I could get this in 6 packs (along with Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig in the winter)..The Black Lager and Irish Red were both average..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 20th, 2010, 8:35 am

devildeac wrote: I am guessing that Big A IPA stands for Big Ass IPA considering its ABV and probably high IBU.
I think that's exactly what it stands for..it's a very good brew..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Chambly Noire-Unibroue

A Belgian style dubbel or brown ale. Think milk chocolate covered raisins. This is almost mahogany in color with a somewhat foamy and somewhat fizzy head of about a finger width. Rich with aromas of milk chocolate and dark brown sugar and the tastes of dark fruit. Hence the description above. Low bitterness, guessing IBU of about 20. The ABV is 6.2%, a bit low for this style and the overall texture/mouthfeel is also a bit thin but this is really a pleasant and very tasty ale. Serve this with chili, ribs, BBQ chicken or pork or even with a caramel dessert or by itself after dinner. A trader from CB&B and a mighty fine one, too. I have had a buncha Unibroue beverages but not this one and would certainly have another.. :clap: ^:)^
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2010, 10:33 pm

Hop Wallop-Victory

Their 2-3 year old entry into the IIPA field and a very good one. This is a clear, clean yellow pour with a slightly sweet Tropicana grapefruit juice taste. Or, tons of citrus and a sweet caramel balance. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90 with an ABV of 8.7%, IIRC. This is pretty similar to the DFH 90 Minute and that is quite a brew. Serve this with a spicy fruit salsa and some grilled tuna or grouper or with some curry. Or, have it after dinner.

This was from the 6er that Scott brought to Bamagate so if you are reading this Cathy, please send him a big thanks. I told him about CTN and pointed out our banner and that we had about a 2300 post beer thread and he seemed interested in joining :D .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 21st, 2010, 11:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Hop Wallop-Victory

Their 2-3 year old entry into the IIPA field and a very good one. This is a clear, clean yellow pour with a slightly sweet Tropicana grapefruit juice taste. Or, tons of citrus and a sweet caramel balance. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90 with an ABV of 8.7%, IIRC. This is pretty similar to the DFH 90 Minute and that is quite a brew. Serve this with a spicy fruit salsa and some grilled tuna or grouper or with some curry. Or, have it after dinner.

This was from the 6er that Scott brought to Bamagate so if you are reading this Cathy, please send him a big thanks. I told him about CTN and pointed out our banner and that we had about a 2300 post beer thread and he seemed interested in joining :D .
I'm going to send the link to Scott and Carolyn. Thanks to everyone for their kind hospitality to my Philly friends on Saturday!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2010, 11:14 pm

CathyCA wrote:

I'm going to send the link to Scott and Carolyn. Thanks to everyone for their kind hospitality to my Philly friends on Saturday!
I met but did not talk to Carolyn much at all. Barley and hops dominated my discussion with Scott :D . I'd rather have Philly friends than a Philly cheese steak. But the cheese steak comes in a close second =p~ .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 21st, 2010, 11:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I met but did not talk to Carolyn much at all. Barley and hops dominated my discussion with Scott :D . I'd rather have Philly friends than a Philly cheese steak. But the cheese steak comes in a close second =p~ .
It's okay that you didn't get to talk to Carolyn. Ozzie got to visit with her a lot! Carolyn had recognized Ozzie from his posts OY, and she treated him like he was a celebrity.

I just love Carolyn, and I'm so glad that I got to spend time with her on Saturday. It was especially fun to introduce friends from different parts of my life to each other who share common interests in beer and Duke sports. Come to think of it, all of my besties love beer and Duke sports!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 22nd, 2010, 7:17 am

CathyCA wrote: It's okay that you didn't get to talk to Carolyn. Ozzie got to visit with her a lot! Carolyn had recognized Ozzie from his posts OY, and she treated him like he was a celebrity.
Yeah, she thought I posted taller too! ;) :happy-bouncyblue:

Loved meeting Carolyn and Scott! Glad you invited them to Brunchgate.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 22nd, 2010, 7:33 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote: It's okay that you didn't get to talk to Carolyn. Ozzie got to visit with her a lot! Carolyn had recognized Ozzie from his posts OY, and she treated him like he was a celebrity.
Yeah, she thought I posted taller too! ;) :happy-bouncyblue:

Loved meeting Carolyn and Scott! Glad you invited them to Brunchgate.
I'm hoping that they'll return. They had such a great time meeting everyone.

Ozzie, you do post tall.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2010, 7:45 am

Dunkelweizen-SA

Mrs. ** looked at the bottle last PM and said, "Dunkerweizen?" I asked her to look again and she said, "oh yeah, Drunkelweizen." Sigh.

Anyway, I enjoyed this brew found only in Brewmaster Collection 12 packs for the fall apparently. Not quite as dark as I thought it might be but it was a cloudy brown-orange color with a small head. The dark wheat malt gives this a bit of cloves and bananas on the nose and palate and perhaps a hint of pineapple. Low IBU, guessing about 20 and I'd estimate the ABV to be about 5%, both pretty typical for wheat ales. This is light enough you could enjoy it on a porch swing in warm weather but dark enough that it would be a nice match with lighter BBQ items like chicken or pork. A trader from CB&B at Bamagate. Thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2010, 10:27 pm

Yo, CB&B, here's a link to one of the 750 ml bottles you get on Saturday:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... htea-0.htm

:D

I haven't tried my bottle yet.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 23rd, 2010, 8:49 am

Founders Nemesis 2010..The 2nd year in the series from Founders. Last year was a wheatwine aged in maple barrels..This years its a big barleywine. Pours a thick dark brown with no head. Taste is roasted malts with lots and lots of chocolate and coffee. There is a decent hop bite typical of a west coast barleywine with some moderate bitterness. Some booziness but not overwhelming despite the 12% ABV. This is a very good beer and one of the most unique barleywines I have tried. Not overly sweet and very well balanced. The chocolate and coffee notes give it an almost imperial stout stout taste though its a bit less thick than most big stouts. Very very pricey at $5 per bottle (12oz) but I did treat myself to an extra one for the cellar.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 23rd, 2010, 9:06 am

bluebeer wrote:Founders Nemesis 2010..The 2nd year in the series from Founders. Last year was a wheatwine aged in maple barrels..This years its a big barleywine. Pours a thick dark brown with no head. Taste is roasted malts with lots and lots of chocolate and coffee. There is a decent hop bite typical of a west coast barleywine with some moderate bitterness. Some booziness but not overwhelming despite the 12% ABV. This is a very good beer and one of the most unique barleywines I have tried. Not overly sweet and very well balanced. The chocolate and coffee notes give it an almost imperial stout stout taste though its a bit less thick than most big stouts. Very very pricey at $5 per bottle (12oz) but I did treat myself to an extra one for the cellar.
I didn't realize that the Nemesis was going to be a different brew every year. $5 is pricey, but if it's really good it's worth it...just pretend your in an airport..then you have a bargain!
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 23rd, 2010, 9:15 am

bluebeer wrote:Founders Nemesis 2010..The 2nd year in the series from Founders. Last year was a wheatwine aged in maple barrels..This years its a big barleywine. Pours a thick dark brown with no head. Taste is roasted malts with lots and lots of chocolate and coffee. There is a decent hop bite typical of a west coast barleywine with some moderate bitterness. Some booziness but not overwhelming despite the 12% ABV. This is a very good beer and one of the most unique barleywines I have tried. Not overly sweet and very well balanced. The chocolate and coffee notes give it an almost imperial stout stout taste though its a bit less thick than most big stouts. Very very pricey at $5 per bottle (12oz) but I did treat myself to an extra one for the cellar.
I didn't realize that the Nemesis was going to be a different brew every year. $5 is pricey, but if it's really good it's worth it...just pretend your in an airport..then you have a bargain!
Good point..I feel better already :D