EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Name Three Cities in North America

Post by EarlJam » September 16th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Lavabe wrote:Boise, Idaho
Starkville, Mississippi
Bangor, Maine

Note: I don't really want to go to these places, but doing so would cross off three states I have yet to see.
Bangor? I hardly know her!

Okay, but seriously, I get what you mean. I've been to a ton of places, but for whatever reason, I've never been to Ohio. OHIO! How has this not happened?

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Lavabe wrote:Umm, I hate to spoil the Hawaii love fest, but isn't Hawaii NOT a part of North America? I thought it is part of the Pacific Ocean, only relatively recently having popped up due to volcanism.

CB&B: Get thee to Anchorage for one reason... FANTASTIC BREWERIES!! :D
Hawaii belongs to the U.S. which occupies the North American continent.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 8:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Umm, I hate to spoil the Hawaii love fest, but isn't Hawaii NOT a part of North America? I thought it is part of the Pacific Ocean, only relatively recently having popped up due to volcanism.

CB&B: Get thee to Anchorage for one reason... FANTASTIC BREWERIES!! :D
Hawaii belongs to the U.S. which occupies the North American continent.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 16th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Chicago (I've never even been through O'Hare)
San Francisco (I have been to that airport once)
Honolulu (I don't care whether it is or is not in North America. It is in the USA.)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 10:01 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Chicago (I've never even been through O'Hare)
Both are great cities just to get out and walk around. That's what I look for most in an interesting city..I don't want to drive through, I'm a walker.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 10:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Both are great cities just to get out and walk around. That's what I look for most in an interesting city..I don't want to drive through, I'm a walker.
San Francisco is the world's most beautiful city. And it's my favorite.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 10:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
San Francisco is the world's most beautiful city. And it's my favorite.
If it weren't so far away from Duke, and so expensive, I'd live there in 2 seconds.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 16th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Hmmm ... tough one.

Chicago
Vancouver
Seattle

Going to be in San Francisco (actually, in Foster City) for work in November. Will try to tack on a few extra days to play tourist around the bay area. Been to San Fran several times but have never been to Muir Woods. Think it would be fun to drive south along the coast a bit, too.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 10:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: If it weren't so far away from Duke, and so expensive, I'd live there in 2 seconds.
That's the problem with living in California. It's so far away from home and Duke.

~ James Naismith
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » September 16th, 2010, 10:56 pm

EarlJam wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Boise, Idaho
Starkville, Mississippi
Bangor, Maine

Note: I don't really want to go to these places, but doing so would cross off three states I have yet to see.
Bangor? I hardly know her!

Okay, but seriously, I get what you mean. I've been to a ton of places, but for whatever reason, I've never been to Ohio. OHIO! How has this not happened?

-EJ
I can not express how much my state wishes you would visit--we are the heart of it all, at least it used to say that on our license plates. :x
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » September 17th, 2010, 7:25 am

my vote is:

New York City (Never been, gotta go at some point)
San Francisco (I have heard groovy things 'bout this place)
Detroit or Chicago (just 'cuz)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 17th, 2010, 7:49 am

knights68 wrote:my vote is:

New York City (Never been, gotta go at some point)
San Francisco (I have heard groovy things 'bout this place)
Detroit or Chicago (just 'cuz)
Honeymoon ideas?
I worship the Blue Devil!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 18th, 2010, 5:01 am

EarlJam wrote:

I will be at 2,000 posts right at the tip-off of Duke's first official basketball game.

-EJ

Maybe if you were more committed to your craft, you wouldn't be lagging so far behind!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 18th, 2010, 5:04 am

CathyCA wrote:
San Francisco is the world's most beautiful city.

Sorry, London England is. Nothing on our baby of a continent can compare to an ancient city like London or to many of the other European gems.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 18th, 2010, 7:26 am

colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Sorry, London England is. Nothing on our baby of a continent can compare to an ancient city like London or to many of the other European gems.
Colchar, you are wrong.

~ James Naismith
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » September 18th, 2010, 8:48 am

San Francisco
New Orleans
Havana/Vancouver/Tulum
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 18th, 2010, 9:11 am

There are seven states I've never been to. I guess I'd pick cities in those states just complete my collection. Not sure any "good" cities to visit in those states though. :D

Maybe you guys can help me pick. Here are the states:
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Arkansas
Utah
Maine
Hawaii - Honolulu I'm sure would be a good one for Hawaii. I was conceived here and came within a month of being born here, but my dad was stationed in Illinois 37 days before I was born. I am one of those weirdos who believes that life starts at conception, so I argue that I've been there. However, others argue that it doesn't count. :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 18th, 2010, 3:58 pm

CathyCA wrote:
colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Colchar, you are wrong.

Sorry, not giving in on this one.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 18th, 2010, 6:58 pm

bjornolf wrote:There are seven states I've never been to. I guess I'd pick cities in those states just complete my collection. Not sure any "good" cities to visit in those states though. :D

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Arkansas
Utah
Maine
Hawaii - Honolulu I'm sure would be a good one for Hawaii. I was conceived here and came within a month of being born here, but my dad was stationed in Illinois 37 days before I was born. I am one of those weirdos who believes that life starts at conception, so I argue that I've been there. However, others argue that it doesn't count. :D

@};-
I can handle suggestions for Arkansas. You have several options: Eureka Springs is a touristy place with music shows like Branson but without the outlet malls. Traffic is crazy during the summer. I grew up about 35 miles from there. Not exactly my cup of tea, but lots of folks like to go there. It's a bit like Arkansas's answer to Boulder, CO and similar cities (but without the college) - very liberal in comparison to the rest of the state. Little Rock is home to the Clinton Presidential Library. The State Capitol Building is a replica of the US Capitol in DC. Hot Springs is also a popular tourist destination. Both Eureka Springs and Hot Springs were really booming in the 1800s due to the presence of mineral springs. If you want to do outdoorsy stuff, there's some excellent bass fishing in the White River in N AR around Cotter (near Mountain Home). Duck hunting is quite popular around Stuttgart (home of Riceland Rice). Arkansas is the only diamond producing state, and you can try your luck at digging for diamonds at Crater of Diamonds (if I remember the name correctly) in south Arkansas, close to Hope. There's also the option of floating the Buffalo River (NW AR), which happens to be the contry's first national scenic river. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 19th, 2010, 6:16 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
bjornolf wrote:There are seven states I've never been to. I guess I'd pick cities in those states just complete my collection. Not sure any "good" cities to visit in those states though. :D

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Arkansas
Utah
Maine

@};-
I can handle suggestions for Arkansas. You have several options: Eureka Springs is a touristy place with music shows like Branson but without the outlet malls. Traffic is crazy during the summer. I grew up about 35 miles from there. Not exactly my cup of tea, but lots of folks like to go there. It's a bit like Arkansas's answer to Boulder, CO and similar cities (but without the college) - very liberal in comparison to the rest of the state. Little Rock is home to the Clinton Presidential Library. The State Capitol Building is a replica of the US Capitol in DC. Hot Springs is also a popular tourist destination. Both Eureka Springs and Hot Springs were really booming in the 1800s due to the presence of mineral springs. If you want to do outdoorsy stuff, there's some excellent bass fishing in the White River in N AR around Cotter (near Mountain Home). Duck hunting is quite popular around Stuttgart (home of Riceland Rice). Arkansas is the only diamond producing state, and you can try your luck at digging for diamonds at Crater of Diamonds (if I remember the name correctly) in south Arkansas, close to Hope. There's also the option of floating the Buffalo River (NW AR), which happens to be the contry's first national scenic river. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Cool, thanks. Eureka Springs and the Crater of Diamonds sound like fun. I think one of those two are what I'd pick. I live right outside DC, so going to a replica of it wouldn't seem like much of a vacation, and I have very little desire to see Clinton's Library. :D I LOVE fishing, but my wife and kids aren't too into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage