Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2010, 12:17 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B. I have your 6er ready. Four different Mendocino brews (reviewed here, of course), a Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale and a Stoudt's Fat Dog Imperial Stout (dpslaw had an extra of each that I traded for).
Sounds tasty. Your's of course will have a couple Dead Ants. =)) . Won't know what else will be in there until I visit TW on Friday night.
At least I won't need any insecticide.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Tire Biter Golden Ale-Flying Dog

This brewery is starting to grow on me a bit. This is a simple yellow-gold, clean, crisp and clear ale with an Ozzie-like IBU of 16.5 and an ABV of 5%. There is a bit of light caramel in the taste and some floral hops in the aroma. Serve this with light appetizers or light grilled fare or sit on your porch swing on a warm late summer evening and quench your thirst with this light-to-medium bodied ale. I received this as part of a 6er trader from one of the reps who calls on me. I owe him a 6er next week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 10:09 pm

I want one of these:

SweetWater Happy Ending

White Legs Season – Silver Medal winner 08 World Beer Cup – A huge dry humped hopped stiffy of an Imperial Stout is a full-figured beer results in an explosive finish. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face

Specs – Our imperial Stout weighing in at a little over 9% ABV is available in Six Packs, kegs and Liter bottles.

Grain – 2 Row, Roasted Barley, Black, 70/80, Chocolate

Hops – Centennial, Williamette Dry Hopped – Cascade and Simcoe

:)) =))

I also want an infraction point in the process.

:obscene-birdiedoublered:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Up next:

Sweetwater-Motor Boat

Leaf Season – Silver medal winner “08 & 09 Great American Beer Festival! Our titillating version of an ESB. Dry Hopped for a face full of flavor.
Specs – 5.6% ABV and available in six packs, 15.5 Gallon ½Bbl Kegs (US Sankey) and 5 Gallon torpedo kegs
Grain – 2 Row, Carapils, Vienna Malt, 70/80, 13/17, 40L
Hops – Cascade, Sterling US Golding Dry Hopped with Cascade
Awards - Silver medal winner “08 & 09 Great American Beer

Part of their Catch and Release series.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 14th, 2010, 10:16 pm

devildeac wrote:I want one of these:

SweetWater Happy Ending

White Legs Season – Silver Medal winner 08 World Beer Cup – A huge dry humped hopped stiffy of an Imperial Stout is a full-figured beer results in an explosive finish. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face

Specs – Our imperial Stout weighing in at a little over 9% ABV is available in Six Packs, kegs and Liter bottles.

I got a warning (no points) today for posting "PM me" yesterday. Fuck 'em. And they deleted the post!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:I want one of these:

SweetWater Happy Ending

I got a warning (no points) today for posting "PM me" yesterday. Fuck 'em. And they deleted the post!
That's unbelievable. No wonder you commented on the LTE 1.0 that you might not make it to #4719 or whatever the # was.

Most importantly, did you lose any reputation points or pitchforks?

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 14th, 2010, 11:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I got a warning (no points) today for posting "PM me" yesterday. Fuck 'em. And they deleted the post!
That's unbelievable. No wonder you commented on the LTE 1.0 that you might not make it to #4719 or whatever the # was.

Most importantly, did you lose any reputation points or pitchforks?

Not yet... :-o
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2010, 10:03 pm

devildeac wrote:Up next:

Sweetwater-Motor Boat

Leaf Season – Silver medal winner “08 & 09 Great American Beer Festival! Our titillating version of an ESB. Dry Hopped for a face full of flavor.
Specs – 5.6% ABV and available in six packs, 15.5 Gallon ½Bbl Kegs (US Sankey) and 5 Gallon torpedo kegs
Grain – 2 Row, Carapils, Vienna Malt, 70/80, 13/17, 40L
Hops – Cascade, Sterling US Golding Dry Hopped with Cascade
Awards - Silver medal winner “08 & 09 Great American Beer

Part of their Catch and Release series.
As advertised. A clear, medium brown pour with fairly balanced grains and flowers and a modest head. This would be fine as a fall beer with some bangers and mash or shepherd's pie and even some fish and chips. Burgers would work well, too, with some sharp cheddar. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40. I got 2 of these this week so one will appear in a trader soon. Army game?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale-carolina Brewing Company (WTH it's doing in Wilkes-Barre is beyond me)

1st fall seasonal and it tastes like a slice of Grandma's pumpkin pie made with a lot of whipped cream on the top. There is ginger, cinnamon and allspice here with very mild pumpkin flavor. Medium brown in color, clear appearance and a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV a pretty standard 5-6%. I traded 1 of my Mendocino brews for this with dpslaw. Hope he liked his 4 from my 12 pack. This was a nice trade. I'll always suggest that folks try a few different pumpkin ales in the fall and find one that you might like. DFH Punkin' Ale, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale and Clipper City Imperial Pumpkin Ale are among the most noteworthy ones I have had in the last 2-3 years. Schlafly's is another.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 15th, 2010, 10:17 pm

devildeac wrote:Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale-carolina Brewing Company (WTH it's doing in Wilkes-Barre is beyond me)

1st fall seasonal and it tastes like a slice of Grandma's pumpkin pie made with a lot of whipped cream on the top. There is ginger, cinnamon and allspice here with very mild pumpkin flavor. Medium brown in color, clear appearance and a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV a pretty standard 5-6%. I traded 1 of my Mendocino brews for this with dpslaw. Hope he liked his 4 from my 12 pack. This was a nice trade. I'll always suggest that folks try a few different pumpkin ales in the fall and find one that you might like. DFH Punkin' Ale, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale and Clipper City Imperial Pumpkin Ale are among the most noteworthy ones I have had in the last 2-3 years. Schlafly's is another.
If you can find it near you, Southern Tier Pumking is another excellent choice...enjoying one as I type this...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 8:44 am

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale-carolina Brewing Company (WTH it's doing in Wilkes-Barre is beyond me)

If you can find it near you, Southern Tier Pumking is another excellent choice...enjoying one as I type this...
Heard of them but don't think I have ever seen any down here. Good suggestion. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 10:31 pm

BTTT.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 10:37 pm

I bought the SA fall sampler tonight. 2 each of 6 beers, including the Harvest Pumpkin Ale...which I'm drinking now and is really, really good. In fact, this is now one of my favorite pumpkin ales I've had. The other will be in DD's trader.
The other offerings are Boston Lager. (-|
Black Lager (looks good, haven't had it yet)
Dunkelweiss (can get in the sampler only, good but not great)
Oktoberfest (haven't had it yet)
Irish Red. (-|
Like the Dukelweiss, the pumpkin is limited to the sampler pack only.
Not much of a review..but to reiterate...it's really, really good. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Latitude 48 IPA-mystery brewer

A new and very pleasant surprise found in my recent trader with a drug rep in my office this week. Pours a clear golden-amber color with a mildly foamy 1-2 finger head and a crisp grapefuity nose and taste. Plenty of malty balance. I'm gonna guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV on the bottle is 5.8%. Fine with mildly spicy foods.

Here's the brewer's notes:

Samuel Adams® Latitude 48 IPA is a unique IPA brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere. The combination of hops in this beer creates a distinctive but not overpowering hop character. The beer is dry hopped with Ahtanum, Simcoe®*, and East Kent Goldings hops for a powerful citrus and earthy aroma. The hop character is balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the malt blend.
Wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy a 6er and have a couple more for trading a few, too.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 10:44 pm

devildeac wrote:Latitude 48 IPA-mystery brewer

A new and very pleasant surprise found in my recent trader with a drug rep in my office this week. Pours a clear golden-amber color with a mildly foamy 1-2 finger head and a crisp grapefuity nose and taste. Plenty of malty balance. I'm gonna guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV on the bottle is 5.8%. Fine with mildly spicy foods.

Samuel Adams® Latitude 48 IPA is a unique IPA brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere. The combination of hops in this beer creates a distinctive but not overpowering hop character. The beer is dry hopped with Ahtanum, Simcoe®*, and East Kent Goldings hops for a powerful citrus and earthy aroma. The hop character is balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the malt blend.
Wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy a 6er and have a couple more for trading a few, too.
That one was unique to their Summer sampler, like the dunkel and pumpkin...you can't buy it separate. I liked the 48 a lot.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 11:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Latitude 48 IPA-mystery brewer

That one was unique to their Summer sampler, like the dunkel and pumpkin...you can't buy it separate. I liked the 48 a lot.
Well, why the hell didn't you review it then? :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Full Circle-New Holland Brewing

A kolsch style ale. This is a light, slighly cloudy and fizzy brew which would be a great lawn mowing thirst quencher. There is a hint of apple and pear in the nose and taste with a light hoppy presence reminiscent of a spring floral bouquet. This would also be tasty with a fruit plate for an appetizer or grilled flounder or tilapia as an entree. I'd guess the IBU to be about 20 and the ABV is 4.9%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Karma-Avery Brewing

Summer seasonal. A Belgian white ale with an IBU of 10 and an ABV of 5.2%, this slightly cloudy, has a fruit salad taste palate and a minimal floral hop nose. A nice starter brew for a late summer Brunchgate with some veggies and dip and a plate of, what else, fruit salad.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Hell's Belle-Big Boss Brewing

Home town brew from Raleigh. This was white ale day/week for me :D . Nicely done Belgian style ale with a lacy head, light golden color and some hints of citrus and pepper. I'd guess IBU in the 10-20 range and the ABV is 7%, but I only had a 1/2 of one :D . Good again with lighter appetizers and fruit salad.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Sweet Sixteen-6 month tasting

Too much foam this bottle but not spoiled. Just had to be patient and pour 3-4 ounces at the time at 3-4 minute intervals. Still carmel-licious and potent. I still think as this one aged, it became a bit more like an old ale than a barleywine but there's not that fine a line to me. Shoulda had this in a burgundy glass. I still need to go out and buy some snifters or small goblets for these types of brews.