Japan... what do I do?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Japan... what do I do?

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Weird thing you are NOT supposed to do here:
As you walk down the street, you are not supposed to eat nor drink. You must stop; only then may you drink something from your bottled drink. You may not move and drink at the same time.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 14th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Hotels in Mexico need one of these in every room.
http://www.air2waterindustries.com/product.html?id=1
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Weird thing number 278: the toilet in my room has a shower spray button, a bidet button, and dimmer switch that lets you set the temperature of the seat.

I'd have preferred it if they kept it simple, and maybe lower the price of the room.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 14th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Lavabe wrote:Weird thing number 278: the toilet in my room has a shower spray button, a bidet button, and dimmer switch that lets you set the temperature of the seat.

I'd have preferred it if they kept it simple, and maybe lower the price of the room.
http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archives/ ... ooloo.html

A great ad for a Korean bidet.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 14th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:Weird thing number 278: the toilet in my room has a shower spray button, a bidet button, and dimmer switch that lets you set the temperature of the seat.

What is the difference between the shower spray in the toilet and the bidet part of the toilet? I thought they were the same thing.

I really like the butt warmer thing on the toilet seat. Wouldn't that be a neat gadget for cold winter mornings?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 14th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Be happy that you have a toilet. When I was there often there was nothing more than a hole in the ground.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 14th, 2010, 2:41 pm

I'm not interested in the seat warmer. I immediately associate a warm toilet seat with someone else's behind having been just on it. I insist on a nice ice cold toilet seat.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 2:49 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I'm not interested in the seat warmer. I immediately associate a warm toilet seat with someone else's behind having been just on it. I insist on a nice ice cold toilet seat.
I'm a wimp. I like my buns toasted. Or should that be in the breakfast or dinner thread? :)) =)) :orcs-buttshake:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 14th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Lavabe wrote:The cons seem to be:
4) The EXTREME anal retentiveness

Cheers,
Lavabe
Sorry, I forgot to warn you about that phenomenon. To the Japanese, there is a process for everything: step 1 followed by step 2 and then step 3 and so on and so forth...there can never be a step 2a or a situation where step 3 needs to happen before step 2.

Moreover, the Japanese are the Kings of "Group think." They do not like to disagree with each other as there is some old proverb about the nail which sticksout getting hammered back in place.

Bob
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 14th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Lavabe wrote:Weird thing you are NOT supposed to do here:
As you walk down the street, you are not supposed to eat nor drink. You must stop; only then may you drink something from your bottled drink. You may not move and drink at the same time.
Of course it is different when you live there for 17 years instead of just visiting, but I really enjoyed purposely doing things you are not suppose to do in Japan. For example, drinking beer and talking loud (just normal American volume level) on the train at 9 am as you head to Tokyo to watch Sumo.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2010, 3:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:

What is the difference between the shower spray in the toilet and the bidet part of the toilet? I thought they were the same thing.

I really like the butt warmer thing on the toilet seat. Wouldn't that be a neat gadget for cold winter mornings?
I think SHOWER is a lateral spray, and doesn't aim up at your anogenital region. As I sit down on the toilet, I believe it's the toilet shower that automatically turns on. Freaks me out every time. If Usul has a hangup with the bun warmer, he'd freak out with the sit down to a shower sound phenomenon. There's a dial to adjust the heat on the warmer. The big demerit of the complete system is that it leaves you with a little aluminum bar pull down flush handle.

Just make it a simple toilet, okay?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 14th, 2010, 4:28 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I'm not interested in the seat warmer. I immediately associate a warm toilet seat with someone else's behind having been just on it. I insist on a nice ice cold toilet seat.
I do NOT sit on a toilet in public unless I have fully papered it first.

If I'm at home and sit on a warm toilet, it means that one of the kids is using my potty instead of his.

I would still enjoy a warm potty seat on a cold winter morning.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » September 15th, 2010, 12:15 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Hotels in Mexico need one of these in every room.
http://www.air2waterindustries.com/product.html?id=1
:text-threadjacked: In the region where Cancun is located, the water is safe to drink. Yay public filtration systems.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 15th, 2010, 7:37 am

Well, I had a good enough lunch today. Had soba noodles in a fish and leek broth. Very good. On the way back, I found someone selling apples at $3 a pound. But hey, they are good.

Pouring down rain on the way home. Stopped off and had a pork cutlet curry; okay.

The best part of the day was the conversations and presentations. I now have colleagues in Japan and India. Can't really eat right now, as my head is spinning with all the information.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 15th, 2010, 9:08 am

Lavabe wrote:Well, I had a good enough lunch today. Had soba noodles in a fish and leek broth. Very good. On the way back, I found someone selling apples at $3 a pound. But hey, they are good.

Pouring down rain on the way home. Stopped off and had a pork cutlet curry; okay.

The best part of the day was the conversations and presentations. I now have colleagues in Japan and India. Can't really eat right now, as my head is spinning with all the information.
What kind of apples?
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 15th, 2010, 10:37 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Well, I had a good enough lunch today. Had soba noodles in a fish and leek broth. Very good. On the way back, I found someone selling apples at $3 a pound. But hey, they are good.

What kind of apples?
I'm guessing Fuji.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 15th, 2010, 11:10 am

CathyCA wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

What kind of apples?
I'm guessing Fuji.
At least it's a food that doesn't have to be explained or doesn't involve sea cucumber or pufferfish.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2010, 11:56 am

CathyCA wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

What kind of apples?
I'm guessing Fuji.
Classic replies.

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » September 15th, 2010, 3:01 pm

This is waaaay too late for Lavabe's trip, but I love the book Confucius Lives Next Door: What Living in the East Teaches Us About Living in the West by T.R. Reid. It's an entertaining read that also makes you think. Not an academic work or comprehensive study - it's more like a memoir with some advocacy thrown in. An entertaining and thoughtful read whether or not you are going to/from East Asia.

Here's a review.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 15th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Attended back to back sessions that dealt with primates and local human populations in Asia, by mostly Indian and Japanese researchers. REALLY nice symposia; made the trip worthwhile. Made contact with a couple of these researchers. Floated a book idea to a colleague, and he wants to run with it with me. Lots of rain now, and the temps have dropped with it. Dinner last night was a panko crusted pork cutlet in curry sauce with rice.