Breaking Down Alabama (Duke's 3rd Opponent)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Breaking Down Alabama (Duke's 3rd Opponent)

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2010, 11:03 am

indoor66 wrote:
Bob Green wrote:
devildeac wrote:Hey, Ozzie, was Pitt #1 in the nation when they played at WW circa 1972 when Dorsett was there? Coulda been as late as 1976. :think:
The game was Oct 2, 1976 as it was the last Duke game I attended before joining the Navy in December. Pitt was #2:

http://www.databasefootball.com/College ... PollID=295
I was at that game. We did a good job on Dorsett for the first half. Then it fell apart and he got his yards, as I recall.
I'm thinking we only lost that game by about 44-32, but it may not have been that close and I don't think he ran wild on us. You folks are good.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 7:43 am

BTTT!

(we're gonna get crushed)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 14th, 2010, 10:41 am

Bob Green has a great article on BDN looking at Duke's statistics so far, where they've gone right and where they've gone wrong.
I hope you periodically update this as the season moves forward Bob.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/taki ... tatistics/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 14th, 2010, 10:43 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I hope you periodically update this as the season moves forward Bob.
Duke’s rankings in these and other statistical categories will certainly fluctuate throughout the season so be sure and check back with Blue Devil Nation as we will update this article on a weekly basis to track the Blue Devils team and individual performances during the 2010 football season.
Ahhh...he answered that question at the end of the article. :-BD
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 14th, 2010, 12:50 pm

devildeac wrote: (we're gonna get crushed)
Way back when, I was excited about Saturday's game. Now, I'm terrified.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 14th, 2010, 2:10 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Bob Green has a great article on BDN looking at Duke's statistics so far, where they've gone right and where they've gone wrong.
I hope you periodically update this as the season moves forward Bob.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/taki ... tatistics/
Thanks for the props! The article was a lot of fun to write.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 14th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Good article / interview up on WRAL.com.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8287881/

Cutcliffe is preparing the team to win, not just to show up and play hard. I know a lot of us fans are fearing the worst, but Coach Cut is not allowing his players to have the same thoughts.
When asked if there is a scenario where he would be pleased with his team without victory he quickly responded, "I don't like to lose."
I love his attitude and truly think he has this team believing they can get it done. I think a large key to the game will be how well we play the first half. I think he has the depth now to stay with anyone for four quarters, unlike the past when we were really only good for 3 if the game was a cat and mouse event. If we are remotely close at halftime, the confidence those guys go into the locker room with will be huge. The reverse can be true if we go down by a significant score...they may come back out of the tunnel mentally beat. At least when they come out on the field for kickoff, they will have a winner's attitude. It's gonna be a Saturday to remember, not one to forget! GO DUKE!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 9:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Good article / interview up on WRAL.com.

Cutcliffe is preparing the team to win, not just to show up and play hard. I know a lot of us fans are fearing the worst, but Coach Cut is not allowing his players to have the same thoughts.
When asked if there is a scenario where he would be pleased with his team without victory he quickly responded, "I don't like to lose."
I love his attitude and truly think he has this team believing they can get it done. I think a large key to the game will be how well we play the first half. I think he has the depth now to stay with anyone for four quarters, unlike the past when we were really only good for 3 if the game was a cat and mouse event. If we are remotely close at halftime, the confidence those guys go into the locker room with will be huge. The reverse can be true if we go down by a significant score...they may come back out of the tunnel mentally beat. At least when they come out on the field for kickoff, they will have a winner's attitude. It's gonna be a Saturday to remember, not one to forget! GO DUKE!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
K did something similar with his team preparing them for Vegas in the '91 semi-final game. Very few folks outside of the staff and players thought we had a chance in that game. We kept it close until near the end, snuck ahead and then survived LJ's desperation heave at the buzzer to move on to the final.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 14th, 2010, 9:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Good article / interview up on WRAL.com.

K did something similar with his team preparing them for Vegas in the '91 semi-final game. Very few folks outside of the staff and players thought we had a chance in that game. We kept it close until near the end, snuck ahead and then survived LJ's desperation heave at the buzzer to move on to the final.
:spork:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2010, 10:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: I love his attitude and truly think he has this team believing they can get it done. I think a large key to the game will be how well we play the first half. I think he has the depth now to stay with anyone for four quarters, unlike the past when we were really only good for 3 if the game was a cat and mouse event. If we are remotely close at halftime, the confidence those guys go into the locker room with will be huge. The reverse can be true if we go down by a significant score...they may come back out of the tunnel mentally beat. At least when they come out on the field for kickoff, they will have a winner's attitude. It's gonna be a Saturday to remember, not one to forget! GO DUKE!! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
:spork:
Thank you.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 8:44 am

Bob Green has another good article posted on BDN previewing the game.
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/prev ... mson-tide/

Besides stating that Duke has to play their best, he starts off the analysis with this point...
Duke cannot turn the ball over! Alabama’s potent offense can grind out possessions with Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram running the ball behind their big physical offensive line so providing Alabama with extra possessions by turning the ball over would be fatal.
No kidding there. Obviously we would have won against Wake if we protected the ball better, but against 'Bama we have to protect if we just want to keep the score close.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 18th, 2010, 5:13 pm

At this point, it doesn't appear that anyone will break down Alabama. :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
~X( That's frikin' 42
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 18th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Austin Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 18th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Folks, remember, it ain't no disaster bein' bearen by a master.

I love double negatives.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 18th, 2010, 9:46 pm

captmojo wrote:Folks, remember, it ain't no disaster bein' bearen by a master.

I love double negatives.
We got butt-whupped.

Some positives. I love love love me some Josh Snead. :duke: And some Desmond Scott.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 18th, 2010, 10:54 pm

Alabama's got BIG players who are quite skilled and very fast. While I wish their score had not been so high, I am very pleased that Duke scored the first touchdown on Alabama this season.

I am also very thankful that there appeared to be only one injury and hope it's not a serious one. When you reflect on the physical beating Carolina doled out to several of our players last year, then consider that this Alabama team is so big they could put a serious hurt on Marvin Austin, if he were eligible, coming out of the game with players healthy for the next game is a major point on the positive side.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2010, 10:59 pm

These are some unbelievable stats:

1st Downs 27 17
3rd down efficiency
2-5 7-19
4th down efficiency
0-0 1-3
Total Yards 626 302
Passing 311 156
Comp-Att
17-26 19-42
Yards per pass
12.0 3.7
Rushing 315 146
Rushing Attempts
35 36
Yards per rush
9.0 4.1
Penalties 6-55 6-54
Turnovers 3 1
Fumbles lost
2 0
Interceptions thrown
1 1
Possession 27:00 33:00

Alabama is obviously on the left.

Several thoughts:

1. They did not have many 3rd down situations. They did almost whatever they wanted on 1st and 2nd down. They punted once. Or was it twice?
2. 626 yards? Is that a record against Duke? We couldn't tackle. Grabbing at air doesn't count.
3. They threw for 311 yards AND passed for 315? See #2.
4. 12 yards per pass? See #2 and #3.
5. 9 yards per rush? WTF? See #2 and #3.
6. We only had 1 TO? And lost by 49?
7. They had 3 TO and still won by 49?
8. They ran back a KO 97 yards. After they fumbled it.
9. Renfree had a bad game as he repeatedly over/under/behind threw his receivers.
10. Our receivers had a bad game, dropping at least 5 passes, but prolly closer to 10.
11. We won time of possession!!!!!!!!!! :)) =)) :happy-bouncyblue:
12. Only 1 injury that I can recall and that was J. Williams with a concussion after he made a TD saving tackle and took a knee to the helmet in the process.
13. We did run for 146 with 4+ yds/rush which is far better than our 2 yds/rush last year.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 18th, 2010, 11:12 pm

devildeac wrote:These are some unbelievable stats:

1st Downs 27 17
3rd down efficiency
2-5 7-19
4th down efficiency
0-0 1-3
Total Yards 626 302
Passing 311 156
Comp-Att
17-26 19-42
Yards per pass
12.0 3.7
Rushing 315 146
Rushing Attempts
35 36
Yards per rush
9.0 4.1
Penalties 6-55 6-54
Turnovers 3 1
Fumbles lost
2 0
Interceptions thrown
1 1
Possession 27:00 33:00

Alabama is obviously on the left.

Several thoughts:

1. They did not have many 3rd down situations. They did almost whatever they wanted on 1st and 2nd down. They punted once. Or was it twice?
2. 626 yards? Is that a record against Duke? We couldn't tackle. Grabbing at air doesn't count.
3. They threw for 311 yards AND passed for 315? See #2.
4. 12 yards per pass? See #2 and #3.
5. 9 yards per rush? WTF? See #2 and #3.
6. We only had 1 TO? And lost by 49?
7. They had 3 TO and still won by 49?
8. They ran back a KO 97 yards. After they fumbled it.
9. Renfree had a bad game as he repeatedly over/under/behind threw his receivers.
10. Our receivers had a bad game, dropping at least 5 passes, but prolly closer to 10.
11. We won time of possession!!!!!!!!!! :)) =)) :happy-bouncyblue:
12. Only 1 injury that I can recall and that was J. Williams with a concussion after he made a TD saving tackle and took a knee to the helmet in the process.
13. We did run for 146 with 4+ yds/rush which is far better than our 2 yds/rush last year.
As I said elsewhere, Alabama is big and they're good. Their third string could probably beat most ACC teams. I wonder when they'll schedule to play the Colts or the Saints.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 18th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Why did i spend the time to make this breakdown?? All I had to say was that Alabama was big, and big, and fast, and big, and more fast and more big.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 19th, 2010, 6:18 am

It will be interesting to see how they do against the Hogs next weekend. The game is at Fayetteville. Go Hogs!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein