Breaking Down Wake

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Breaking Down Wake

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Wolfpackdevil continues his series of looking at Duke's oponents..this time it's Wake.

http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010/08 ... d-opponent
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Breaking Down Wake

Post by devildeac » August 6th, 2010, 9:48 am

Great stuff, wpd. Thanks .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 7th, 2010, 5:48 pm

This, again, is terrific. Thanks so much, wpd!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 9th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Excellent preview. I view this as a litmus test for Duke's season. We must beat Wake Forest.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 9th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Bob Green wrote:Excellent preview. I view this as a litmus test for Duke's season. We must beat Wake Forest.
Totally agree...we have a litte break as well as Wake has benched one of their top receivers for that game. (Plus one other guy, don't know how much of a factor his loss will be.)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 9th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Bob Green wrote:Excellent preview. I view this as a litmus test for Duke's season. We must beat Wake Forest.
Agreed. We have had so many chances to beat Wake the last several years and just haven't been able to get over the hump.
Iron Duke #1471997.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 9th, 2010, 9:32 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Agreed. We have had so many chances to beat Wake the last several years and just haven't been able to get over the hump.
Yes this is a HUGE game for Duke. If Duke takes care of business in week 1 against Elon, they will be 1-0 heading into the WF game. A win against WF makes us 2-0 heading into the Bama game. A loss versus Alabama would not hurt if we could rebound the next week and beat Army at home. That makes us 3-1 heading into conference play.

Losses to WF and Alabama would most likely make us 2-2 going into conference play.

3 wins in the ACC is a lot easier than 4! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2010, 9:33 pm

When will you be joining us this season for games now that you are back in the US?
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 9th, 2010, 10:05 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Yes this is a HUGE game for Duke. If Duke takes care of business in week 1 against Elon, they will be 1-0 heading into the WF game. A win against WF makes us 2-0 heading into the Bama game. A loss versus Alabama would not hurt if we could rebound the next week and beat Army at home. That makes us 3-1 heading into conference play.

Losses to WF and Alabama would most likely make us 2-2 going into conference play.

3 wins in the ACC is a lot easier than 4! ;)
I tend to view every game in the coming season as a big game. To keep moving forward the program's got to pick up some momentum.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 10th, 2010, 2:33 pm

devildeac wrote:When will you be joining us this season for games now that you are back in the US?
I am still working out the logistics but it appears I'll be attending the Miami game on October 16. I was looking at Army on September 25, but my Dad is signed up to play in a golf tournament in Myrtle Beach that weekend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Bob Green wrote:
devildeac wrote:When will you be joining us this season for games now that you are back in the US?
I am still working out the logistics but it appears I'll be attending the Miami game on October 16. I was looking at Army on September 25, but my Dad is signed up to play in a golf tournament in Myrtle Beach that weekend.
Excellent. Please keep us informed. I'll let Jarhead know the 1st beer is on his tab that day...

:)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Time to start discussing the d***s about now...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 6th, 2010, 12:28 am

Dear Johnny Williams, please turn around.
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 7th, 2010, 12:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Dear Johnny Williams, please turn around.
I was very surprised to see that Duke put Williams on Elon's best receiver (Sean Jeffcoat.)

I was expecting to see Chris Rwabukamba on him. Wake Forest has an amazing receiver in Marshall Williams, and I do not think Johnny Williams is capable of sticking him.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 9th, 2010, 5:17 pm

A good sign going into the Wake game: Duke's injury report this week has no names. We need to be at full strength to make the best of this very crucial game.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 10th, 2010, 3:05 pm

We have to successfully run the ball to beat Wake Forest. Here is an article from Al Featherston:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204990372

The advantage gained by running the ball is you can grind out long possessions, which keeps your defense off the field and fresh. Time of possession is the stat which will go a long way toward showing who wins the game. If either Duke or Wake have the ball significantly longer than the other over the first three quarters, that team's defense will be fresher in the decisive 4th Quarter of the ball game. We need to wear out Wake's defense by successfully running the ball.

We rushed for 192 yards against Elon and need to rush for a similar number this week. I'm excited, 21 hours to kick-off.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 10th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Bob Green wrote:We have to successfully run the ball to beat Wake Forest. Here is an article from Al Featherston:

The advantage gained by running the ball is you can grind out long possessions, which keeps your defense off the field and fresh. Time of possession is the stat which will go a long way toward showing who wins the game. If either Duke or Wake have the ball significantly longer than the other over the first three quarters, that team's defense will be fresher in the decisive 4th Quarter of the ball game. We need to wear out Wake's defense by successfully running the ball.

We rushed for 192 yards against Elon and need to rush for a similar number this week. I'm excited, 21 hours to kick-off.
I want to see us run one back tomorrow. :D I'm also looking for legitimate ground numbers and I think we have the guys to do it..and I think we have the O-line finally to help them out.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2010, 4:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bob Green wrote:We have to successfully run the ball to beat Wake Forest. Here is an article from Al Featherston:

I want to see us run one back tomorrow. :D I'm also looking for legitimate ground numbers and I think we have the guys to do it..and I think we have the O-line finally to help them out.
And perhaps some speed to the outside.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 10th, 2010, 5:43 pm

devildeac wrote: And perhaps some speed to the outside.
Connette found some of that. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2010, 6:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: And perhaps some speed to the outside.
Connette found some of that. :D
I still chuckle thinking about his ~50 yard run near the end of the game and the fact he did not take a knee or go OOB. He tried to run through/over the Elon defender. He wanted the TD. :)) =))