UP reviews (no spoliers!)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

UP reviews (no spoliers!)

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 30th, 2009, 1:30 pm

We're going tomorrow, I'm way psyched. This will actually be the first Pixar film I've seen in a theater. I wish it was a 3D theater, but it is at least digital. Anyone seen it?

Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: UP reviews (no spoliers!)

Post by captmojo » May 30th, 2009, 3:19 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:We're going tomorrow, I'm way psyched. This will actually be the first Pixar film I've seen in a theater. I wish it was a 3D theater, but it is at least digital. Anyone seen it?

No, but doesn't the old dude look a lot like Spencer Tracy? :ymapplause:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 30th, 2009, 4:34 pm

captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:We're going tomorrow, I'm way psyched. This will actually be the first Pixar film I've seen in a theater. I wish it was a 3D theater, but it is at least digital. Anyone seen it?

No, but doesn't the old dude look a lot like Spencer Tracy? :ymapplause:
Yes, he does!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 31st, 2009, 5:29 pm

UP is way fun. We went earlier today (I love Sunday matinees, nobody there and cheap). To start, you are treated to a fun Pixar short about an unfortunate stork and his baby provider (Babies of all species are made by clouds), it was cute, although after all of the previews my wife was pretty sure they would never actually show a movie. The movie opens following Carl, a kid wannabe adventurer, watching one of those old news reels about a real life adventurer who is booted from all his high profile science and exploration societies because they believe he has faked one of his finds, the skeleton of a large bird in South America. The news reel shows him declare that he will return with a live specimen to prove his discovery, followed by him taking off in his blimp.
We then watch Carl age through the years after becoming befriended by another young adventurer Ellie, whom he eventually marries. Together they promised each other that they would follow in the footsteps of their hero, the fallen from grace adventurer that has returned to South America in search of his prize. Due to various unforseen circumstances that life throws their way, Carl and Ellie are unable to follow their adventurous dreams before Ellie passes away. Left alone in their house, Carl faces slim prospects as the city forces him to abandon the home he and Ellie made for themselves and head off to an assisted living facility.
Of course Carl takes it upon himself to move him and his house away before that happens, and that's where his biggest adventure starts. Similar to Wall*E, the beginning of the film has very little spoken from our hero, in fact Ellie ribs him about being so quiet. He does talk while aging, but you never here what he says. In classic Pixar style, the tale is told through the beautifully detailed animation, without need for many vocal words.
On his journey, Carl is joined by Russell, a junior adventurer in the mold of Carl when he was a kid. Questing for his "Assisting the Ederly" badge, Russell gets unwittingly taken upon Carl's quest, and along the way meet several characters that flesh out the rest of the tale. It's a story that is told with humor and suspense with a dash of sorrow along the way.
By the end I had laughed because it was funny, cried because it was funny, and cried because it was touching. The characters are great, and not all of them can speak. As evidenced by the short that opens the film, Pixar does not need words to tell an engaging tale, but when they have the words, the film is better for it. Highly recommended, go have fun.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 9th, 2009, 10:58 am

Um, enormous BTTT here. I saw 'Up' yesterday, and it's my favorite film I've seen in at least five years. I went by myself and saw it in the 3D theater yesterday, and I'm honestly considering seeing it again today. It is visually stunning, but not just because it's in 3D. I happen to think that "ordinary" Pixar visuals are quite beautiful, and these are no exception, but the 3D gives the film a texture unlike anything I've ever seen.
Then there's the story...As regards the script, this is simply not a children's movie. Sure, it's got moments of goofy humor and sight gags, but they provide laughs for everyone. If you've ever owned a dog, I defy you to avoid laughing at the talking dogs in this movie. There are just as many sweet, intelligent laughs, too. And in the end, the humor merely sprinkles levity into a tale featuring profound and universal themes and characters of immense depth.
I'm completely serious, everybody needs to see this movie.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2009, 12:45 pm

I found out that we have a 3d theater much closer than I thought. I'm thinking of going again to see it in 3d.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 9th, 2009, 12:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I found out that we have a 3d theater much closer than I thought. I'm thinking of going again to see it in 3d.
I think I'm gonna be really naughty and go see it again in an hour, this time in 2D, but right up the street from my house.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 9th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Serious question here... 3D... um, well 3D made me nauseous as a kid. Has it progressed enough in 20 or so years that I don't have to worry about that anymore? Maybe it was the stupid glasses. They really bugged me.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 2:00 pm

You still have to wear glasses, but they're totally different. I would say that if you had problems with it as a kid, there's a SMALL chance you'll still have trouble. Do you have problems with sea sickness or air sickness or car sickness normally? If not, I'd say there's a decent chance you'll be fine now. The technology has come a LONG way. JMHO though.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 9th, 2009, 2:06 pm

bjornolf wrote:You still have to wear glasses, but they're totally different. I would say that if you had problems with it as a kid, there's a SMALL chance you'll still have trouble. Do you have problems with sea sickness or air sickness or car sickness normally? If not, I'd say there's a decent chance you'll be fine now. The technology has come a LONG way. JMHO though.

%%-
Seasickness, yes, sometimes (though it doesn't prevent me from fishing). Car sickness, yes but rarely. More woozy feeling.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 2:13 pm

I never had any trouble with any of that stuff. You might want to talk to somebody who does and has seen a 3D movie recently. I know it's 100x better than it used to be, but I wouldn't want to make you :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: . ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 9th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Sue71 wrote:Serious question here... 3D... um, well 3D made me nauseous as a kid. Has it progressed enough in 20 or so years that I don't have to worry about that anymore? Maybe it was the stupid glasses. They really bugged me.
It's a new technology that supposedly interfaces better. I think you'd be fine, especially since it's used not for gimmicky tricks of movement or perspective, but more for texture. I always go through a small period of adjustment, but this time I pretty much didn't need any adjustment.