Favorite Hot Dog Stand

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Favorite Hot Dog Stand

Post by Lavabe » September 1st, 2010, 2:44 pm

Excluding pushcarts (which have some of the best hot dogs), what hot dog stand/shop is your favorite? Why? Please describe what makes this place your favorite.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Favorite Hot Dog Stand

Post by CathyCA » September 1st, 2010, 5:21 pm

Paul's Place in Rocky Point, N.C.

It's my favorite because (1) my granddaddy took me there when I was a kid, and it's one of the few places we shared that's still around, so I can feel close to him when I'm there; and (2) their relish is scrumptious.

I used to buy the Paul's Place relish by the case and carry it back to California, along with my Duke's mayonnaise.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » September 1st, 2010, 5:53 pm

Bill's Hot Dog Stand

I gotta support my town and this place is a Little Washington institution. I eat their dogs regularly. If you ever have one, you will either love it or hate it. I love it. Steamed bun, dog fried in lard, spicy hot white chili, onions and mustard (or any combination of the three). $.98 each.

They will give you packets of ketchup on request. If you haven't any sense. :D
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2010, 6:14 pm

That book that Johnboy linked to yesterday includes a listing of a bunch of hotdog stands, thought that was pretty cool.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2010, 6:18 pm

By the way, do you know how much it costs to have a hot dog stand in front of the Museum Of Modern Art in NYC?

Try $54,000. A month.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/08/08/ ... 249764142/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 1st, 2010, 6:31 pm

Oh, yes! Paul's Place! We'd stop there going to and from the beach.

I can't leave it at just one great hot dog stand. My dad used to love hot dogs and trying hot dogs in different locales was something of an avocation our family enjoyed over the years.

In Greensboro, I like the Yum-Yum's dogs. They are steamed in the buns. The unmistakable fragrance comes out the exhaust fan and beckons you to come on in and get your hot dog fresh and hot. The chili is excellent. It stains the bun and has enough grease to be respectable. You can finish off your meal with some wonderful ice cream made on site. The milkshakes are thick and creamy.

In Durham, I used to enjoy Amos 'n ' Andy's hot dogs. The chili was a family recipe. The first location was down around Five Points, convenient for those worked worked downtown in various places including the Courthouse. A couple of other locations sprang up on H'way 54 and H'way 55. The one on 54 was formerly a gas station re-purposed as hot dog stand.

Amos 'n' Andy's gone now, so when I want a hot dog in Durham, I frequent the Dog House which has multiple locations in the Durham area. The dog stains the buns as does the fragrant chili. The chopped onions are just right to compliment the chili and slaw. When you order from the posted menu, you'll see that each combination of toppings or condiments is named for a breed of dog. The french fries are crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside and are remarkably good even though they are not prepared on site other than the frying. Dessert can be one of the tasty fried pies. I understand that King's has reopened in Durham and is using the original family recipes. Kings has been known for their hot dogs for decades.

In Winston-Salem I've found two places which offer good hot dogs. Mayberry Ice Cream Restaurant toasts the bun on the outside and tops the dog off with a respectable chili, onions and slaw. The dogs at Dairy-O are really good. The buns are buttered before being toasted. You have a choice of a regular hot dog, a larger beef hot dog (quarter pound?) and a footlong. Those familiar with hots dogs know that the filling inside a regular dog and the footlong are different. The regular hot dog and the beef frank are delicious when covered with the slightly sweet chili and the rest of what comprises a dog all the way. You can have ice cream, lots of flavors in the hand dipped kind, and two flavors in the soft served kind. Thick milkshakes, sundaes and other fountain treats are available, too. There are several legendary hot dog places in Forsyth County that I plan to checkout soon. The one with the most intriguing name is the Little Red Caboose.

One place my family used to go for hot dogs is still there and serving their delicious dogs up in Hillsville, VA. I don't remember the name of the place, but it's in a little old dilapidated building with picnic tables outside. There's a used book seller nearby. The chili is the slightly sweet style that stains the buns and drips easily. A hot dog all the way at this place is worth the drive up into "the country." Go during the fall and you can take home some local apples.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » September 1st, 2010, 6:49 pm

As much as my heart is telling me to promote, "The Varsity" here in Atlanta (it is a VERY famous joint), my taste buds, stomach and memories steer me to Zack's in downtown Burlington, N.C.

Their "thing?" They never use paper or stuff to take your order. They commit it to memory, and get it right all the time. Then, the food comes out very fast and is very good. Lastly, when bottles were almost all plastic (much like they stilll are), Zack's always offered the small size original Coke bottles.

That place rocks. And if I remember it, I'm gonna eat me some Zack's this weekend!

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 1st, 2010, 7:29 pm

Johnboy wrote:Bill's Hot Dog Stand

I gotta support my town and this place is a Little Washington institution. I eat their dogs regularly. If you ever have one, you will either love it or hate it. I love it. Steamed bun, dog fried in lard, spicy hot white chili, onions and mustard (or any combination of the three). $.98 each.

They will give you packets of ketchup on request. If you haven't any sense. :D
YES!

And there's almost always a line when I go there.

YUM!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
indoor66

Post by indoor66 » September 1st, 2010, 7:58 pm

In Salisbury, NC there used to be a place on West Innes Street called Al's Nighthawk. Al sold great hot dogs - both regular sized and foot longs. I imagine this has long closed. I haven't been there since the 80's.
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 1st, 2010, 8:14 pm

Greensboro- Lum's were steamed in beer
Yum-Yum's still good.
The best no longer exists. Woolworth's on Bessemer Ave.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
fordgrl00

Post by fordgrl00 » September 1st, 2010, 8:17 pm

Since the Greensboro favorite of Yum's Yum's has already been promoted I will go on down the road to Kernersville. Must go to Doss's! They have the toasted buns and yummy ice cream. And they have perfected their crispy french fries. The one odd thing is their love for clowns... There are pictures everywhere on the walls...

My most favoritest place to get a hot dog is....

The backyard grill.... I have finally managed to get my family trained at how to almost burn it just right ;) Love the grill taste. B-)
~Shelly
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 1st, 2010, 8:21 pm

fordgrl00 wrote:Since the Greensboro favorite of Yum's Yum's has already been promoted I will go on down the road to Kernersville. Must go to Doss's! They have the toasted buns and yummy ice cream. And they have perfected their crispy french fries. The one odd thing is their love for clowns... There are pictures everywhere on the walls...

The backyard grill.... I have finally managed to get my family trained at how to almost burn it just right ;) Love the grill taste. B-)
That's it! Perfect dog. Well done. :happy-bouncyblue:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 1st, 2010, 9:14 pm

captmojo wrote:
fordgrl00 wrote:Since the Greensboro favorite of Yum's Yum's has already been promoted I will go on down the road to Kernersville. Must go to Doss's! They have the toasted buns and yummy ice cream. And they have perfected their crispy french fries. The one odd thing is their love for clowns... There are pictures everywhere on the walls...

That's it! Perfect dog. Well done. :happy-bouncyblue:
I agree! Charred just right. And if you're the one doing the cooking, you can eat one plain (when it has cooled a bit) while standing out there, and it doesn't count as something you've eaten (calorie-wise) B-) .

Next choice is Sam's Club or Costco. A 1/4 pound all beef dog with a refillable Diet Coke for $1.50. A great dog and you can't beat the price! I prefer Sam's over Costco because Sam's has a 32 oz. Styrofoam drink cup and Costco "only" has a 20 oz. paper cup.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 1st, 2010, 10:06 pm

I can't say that I've ever really eaten from a hot dog stand. Hmm.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2010, 10:37 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I can't say that I've ever really eaten from a hot dog stand. Hmm.
That may be the best answer. And the smartest.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » September 1st, 2010, 10:46 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: Amos 'n' Andy's gone now, so when I want a hot dog in Durham, I frequent the Dog House which has multiple locations in the Durham area. The dog stains the buns as does the fragrant chili. The chopped onions are just right to compliment the chili and slaw. When you order from the posted menu, you'll see that each combination of toppings or condiments is named for a breed of dog. The french fries are crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside and are remarkably good even though they are not prepared on site other than the frying. Dessert can be one of the tasty fried pies. I understand that King's has reopened in Durham and is using the original family recipes. Kings has been known for their hot dogs for decades.
The folks who own the Dog House were our next door neighbors when they were trying to figure out the recipes and products (which buns, etc.) to use before they opened the first one. Several times a week the phone would ring and when Mom hung up she'd send one of us to go get something from Mrs. Henderson at the fence. We got to sample tons of hot dogs (try 'em with this chili or that slaw or this bun...) and beans (have them put a spoonful of chili in the beans!) and pies and fries. It was wonderful. I've always had a soft spot. Plus I love the fact that they use crushed ice - sometimes on my way back to Raleigh after a Blue Devil Club meeting I'll stop in at the one on Hillsborough just to get a drink with crushed ice. When my Mom was alive we'd frequently meet at Kroger to ride together to games and she'd have a bag full of Dog House fare.

In Raleigh I like Snoopy's.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » September 2nd, 2010, 12:01 pm

shereec wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: Amos 'n' Andy's gone now, so when I want a hot dog in Durham, I frequent the Dog House which has multiple locations in the Durham area. The dog stains the buns as does the fragrant chili. The chopped onions are just right to compliment the chili and slaw. When you order from the posted menu, you'll see that each combination of toppings or condiments is named for a breed of dog. The french fries are crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside and are remarkably good even though they are not prepared on site other than the frying. Dessert can be one of the tasty fried pies. I understand that King's has reopened in Durham and is using the original family recipes. Kings has been known for their hot dogs for decades.
The folks who own the Dog House were our next door neighbors when they were trying to figure out the recipes and products (which buns, etc.) to use before they opened the first one. Several times a week the phone would ring and when Mom hung up she'd send one of us to go get something from Mrs. Henderson at the fence. We got to sample tons of hot dogs (try 'em with this chili or that slaw or this bun...) and beans (have them put a spoonful of chili in the beans!) and pies and fries. It was wonderful. I've always had a soft spot. Plus I love the fact that they use crushed ice - sometimes on my way back to Raleigh after a Blue Devil Club meeting I'll stop in at the one on Hillsborough just to get a drink with crushed ice. When my Mom was alive we'd frequently meet at Kroger to ride together to games and she'd have a bag full of Dog House fare.

In Raleigh I like Snoopy's.
Those are my two also - Dog House in Durham, Snoopy's in Raleigh. Every time I have to go out to our data center in North Raleigh I make a point of grabbing dogs at Snoopy's :D
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 2nd, 2010, 7:38 pm

Last night I discovered the hot dog stand right between Wilson and the Marketplace. Oh man. Best hog dog I've ever had. If you are ever on East Campus make sure you stop by Joe's Hot Dogs!! He's open until 2 a.m. :happy-bouncyblue: :D
Class of 2014
Miles

Post by Miles » September 2nd, 2010, 10:29 pm

When I was a kid, it was Hazel's in Durham. It was the first place I remember having a hot dog after I moved back to the state from Scotland.
Later it was the Dog House.

Hey Aunt Sheree, didn't Grandma work there a few times when they needed help making slaw? I want an Ol' Yallow.

Back to work.

Love.
sMiles
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 3rd, 2010, 5:45 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: And if you're the one doing the cooking, you can eat one plain (when it has cooled a bit) while standing out there, and it doesn't count as something you've eaten (calorie-wise) B-) .
I call this the 'Chef's Premium'.
It's even better with a Bratwurst. :D