Duke University: 2010 - 2011

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke University: 2010 - 2011

Post by CathyCA » August 31st, 2010, 9:09 am

Rolvix wrote:Did I mention that Bruce Springsteen's daughter is a freshman too?
That explains why he popped up at the Roseanne Cash concert in the spring. He and his daughter were in town to check out Duke.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 31st, 2010, 9:13 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I'll bet there are some Springsteen sightings in Cameron too.
Can you imagine how magnificent it would be to have The Boss lead The Crazies in a couple of choruses of "Devil With A Blue Dress?"

B-)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 31st, 2010, 9:18 am

CathyCA wrote:
Can you imagine how magnificent it would be to have The Boss lead The Crazies in a couple of choruses of "Devil With A Blue Dress?"

B-)
OH MAN!!!!
:character-beavisbutthead: :character-beavisbutthead: :character-beavisbutthead: :character-beavisbutthead:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » August 31st, 2010, 9:31 am

Just anothe Daddy watching his daugter grow into adulthood. Allow him is enjoyment without too much attention. Isn't that the Duke way?
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2010, 9:38 am

CathyCA wrote:

B-)
I had not thought of that.

Good Golly, Miss Molly!!!

;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 31st, 2010, 10:04 am

indoor66 wrote:Just anothe Daddy watching his daugter grow into adulthood. Allow him is enjoyment without too much attention. Isn't that the Duke way?
Indeed, it is.

However, he is the one who willingly stepped on stage with Roseanne Cash this past spring. I imagine that he will do more impromptu performances on campus over the next four years. I would be surprised if he scheduled/promoted/advertised any of his appearances.

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 31st, 2010, 3:38 pm

CathyCA wrote:

B-)
Technical question:
When did "Devil With a Blue Dress" first get played by the band in Cameron?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 31st, 2010, 5:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

B-)
Technical question:
Didn't Coach Bubas ask the band to play it?

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 31st, 2010, 5:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

B-)
Technical question:
I'm thinking it was during the 1977-1978 season, when we got good! I remember wanting to hear it on the plane to St. Louis for the FF! It may have been the season before, but I don't know as I didn't have tickets back then, and I graduated in May 1976, and we never heard it while I was an undergrad.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 31st, 2010, 9:49 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

B-)
Technical question:
Coach Bubas asked the cheerleaders to begin to do choreographed routines such as those popular on the west coast. This was about the time we played UCLA two different nights, one right after the other in Durham and Greensboro I think it was. One of the first choreographed numbers was/is my favorite, "Devil with the Blue Dress On." A cheerleader named Emily "Love" Meeker created the choreography which has remained virtually unchanged over the years. I don't remember exactly which season this started, but I'm think around 1964 or 1965.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 31st, 2010, 10:17 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Technical question:
Coach Bubas asked the cheerleaders to begin to do choreographed routines such as those popular on the west coast. This was about the time we played UCLA two different nights, one right after the other in Durham and Greensboro I think it was. One of the first choreographed numbers was/is my favorite, "Devil with the Blue Dress On." A cheerleader named Emily "Love" Meeker created the choreography which has remained virtually unchanged over the years. I don't remember exactly which season this started, but I'm think around 1964 or 1965.
Mitch Ryder's version of the song made it to #4 in the US pop charts in 1966. That helps support this Vic Bubas Origin story.

Bruce popularized it again in the 70's, recording it 1979 on the "No Nukes" concert. That might explain why Ozzie thought it was the 77-78 season. Did it go through a period in which it wasn't played (i.e., between Bubas and the 1977 season)?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 31st, 2010, 10:19 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Technical question:
I'll yield to your superior knowledge, but I don't remember hearing it during my undergrad years, Dukes nadir of suckitude.. Must have been revived when the team was resurrected under Bill Foster.

Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 31st, 2010, 10:49 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Mitch Ryder's version of the song made it to #4 in the US pop charts in 1966. That helps support this Vic Bubas Origin story.

Bruce popularized it again in the 70's, recording it 1979 on the "No Nukes" concert. That might explain why Ozzie thought it was the 77-78 season. Did it go through a period in which it wasn't played (i.e., between Bubas and the 1977 season)?
The song was recorded by others before Mitch Ryder recorded it. It was in circulation for a while before it hit that high in the charts. I worked on the Chanticleer staff and kept up with this stuff while it was happening. The cheerleader who created the choreography graduated in 1965. The part about the routine remaining relatively unchanged is based on being an eyewitness who's observed the routine for decades.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2010, 10:58 pm

Here's one story:

Devil With The Blue Dress

Lyrics: Frederick Long, William Stevenson
Music: Frederick Long, William Stevenson

Sung a few times by Brent Mydland with the Grateful Dead in 1987, always paired with Good Golly Miss Molly

Chorus
Devil with the blue dress, blue dress, blue dress
Devil with the blue dress on

Fe, fe, fi, fi, fo, fo, fum
Looking mighty nice, here she comes
Wearing a wig, hat and shades to match
Got her high heeled sneakers and her alligator hat
Wearing her pearls and her diamond ring
Got bracelets on her fingers now and everything

[chorus]

Wearing her perfume, Chanel Number Five
She got to be the finest girl alive
She walks real cool catches everybody's eye
She got good lovin', she can take it high
Not too skinny, she's not too fat
She's a real humdinger and I like it like that

[chorus]

Background
"Devil With The Blue Dress On" was originally recorded by Frederick "Shorty" Long as a single in 1964. It was co-written with Motown producer Mickey (William) Stevenson. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels covered it in 1966, paired with "Good Molly Miss Molly," in a much speeded-up version.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 31st, 2010, 11:55 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The song was recorded by others before Mitch Ryder recorded it. It was in circulation for a while before it hit that high in the charts. I worked on the Chanticleer staff and kept up with this stuff while it was happening. The cheerleader who created the choreography graduated in 1965. The part about the routine remaining relatively unchanged is based on being an eyewitness who's observed the routine for decades.
I didn't think the other versions climbed the charts like the Ryder version did.

That's a really great story about the origin of the song's use in CIS. That DOES clarify things. But did the song go through a period of disuse in CIS, as Ozzie has suggested?
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Lavabe wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The song was recorded by others before Mitch Ryder recorded it. It was in circulation for a while before it hit that high in the charts. I worked on the Chanticleer staff and kept up with this stuff while it was happening. The cheerleader who created the choreography graduated in 1965. The part about the routine remaining relatively unchanged is based on being an eyewitness who's observed the routine for decades.
I didn't think the other versions climbed the charts like the Ryder version did.

That's a really great story about the origin of the song's use in CIS. That DOES clarify things. But did the song go through a period of disuse in CIS, as Ozzie has suggested?
A lot about Duke's "traditions" seemed to be observed and remembered less over the course of the 70's. The football and basketball programs were not the vibrant, highly ranked programs of the previous decades and society was going through some major changes regarding how people viewed anything traditonal. The use of the song and other traditions didn't really die; they were just emphasized less while more relevant things took their place..... such as the plaid outfits for the cheerleaders.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 1st, 2010, 9:57 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: The use of the song and other traditions didn't really die; they were just emphasized less while more relevant things took their place..... such as the plaid outfits for the cheerleaders.
Vicki Bubas and Liana Silsby looked good in whatever they were wearing! B-) :D