NASCAR 2009

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

NASCAR 2009

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Ahh, no NASCAR this weekend, but next week begins the run up to another race. In the meantime:
1) Besides Jeff Gordon, who is having the best start to the season?
2) Who's having the worst start to the season?
3) Does Dale Jr have ANY hope this season?

Hopefully, we can discuss things here all season long.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: NASCAR 2009

Post by Miles » April 11th, 2009, 1:11 pm

I'm not quite up to speed yet on all things NASCAR so I'm not gonna take a stab at Lavabe's questions. But I did wanna say that I am a rookie NASCAR fan because of Yahoo! Fantasy NASCAR. I've watched every race this year and I'm starting to pick things up. It's way more fun than I had ever imagined. Now I wanna go to a race. Maybe next year.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Miles wrote:I'm not quite up to speed yet on all things NASCAR so I'm not gonna take a stab at Lavabe's questions. But I did wanna say that I am a rookie NASCAR fan because of Yahoo! Fantasy NASCAR. I've watched every race this year and I'm starting to pick things up. It's way more fun than I had ever imagined. Now I wanna go to a race. Maybe next year.
I was in your position last year. And I agree completely ... the Fantasy League has made this more fun than I ever imagined.

Now HOW can we all catch Tilly and Colin? :shock:

FWIW, I'm in 3rd, and in the 91st percentile. Tilly and Colin are REALLY good.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles

Post by Miles » April 11th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Lavabe wrote:Now HOW can we all catch Tilly and Colin? :shock:

FWIW, I'm in 3rd, and in the 91st percentile. Tilly and Colin are REALLY good.
I've been thinking the same thing.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 2:45 pm

I'm a bit of a rookie NASCAR fan myself. I've watched it a bit over the last couple of years but only really started watching semi-regularly last year. Much of my success this year is down to luck. I have only won one week - my stats are being boosted by a lot of second place finishes.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Lavabe wrote: And I agree completely ... the Fantasy League has made this more fun than I ever imagined.

I agree as well. The fantasy league has caused me to pay far more attention than I otherwise would have.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Lavabe wrote: FWIW, I'm in 3rd, and in the 91st percentile. Tilly and Colin are REALLY good.
Wow. Your comments caused me to check my percentile and it seems I'm in the 98th (that only translates to being 4407th overall though!). I'm shocked by that. Tilly is probably in roughly the same place as me.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 12th, 2009, 10:27 am

I'm in the 97th percentile. Looking forward to working my way. :D
I worship the Blue Devil!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 14th, 2009, 12:49 am

My picks are in for this week. The race resumes...
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Miles

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 3:13 am

NASCAR is back!
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2009, 6:26 am

Another short track race...

Have we had an abnormally high number of short track races so soon this year? i-) @-)
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 17th, 2009, 6:27 am

Lavabe wrote:Another short track race...

Have we had an abnormally high number of short track races so soon this year? i-) @-)
The schedule is fairly consistent. I do think they have tried to get more of the bigger tracks in on the Chase...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Of course, the #8 should have been driven by ...

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2009, 6:46 am

According to ESPN, Aric Almirola's #8 car is now parked until sponsorship is found.
:-w :-w
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: This week's race is on a Saturday

Post by Lavabe » April 18th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Attention folks... I believe the race in Phoenix is TONIGHT. Double check, but get your picks in!!

Boogity, boogity, boogity....
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Just a little time left in which to swap drivers. I am sorely tempted to swap my A-list drivers but tend not to second guess myself too often so I'm not sure if I will or if I'll just leave things as they are. And I only earned one point in qualifying - shitty.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 5:43 am

Lavabe won this week. Well done.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 19th, 2009, 6:45 am

I didn't even notice that the race was on last night. Way too focused on baseball...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2009, 7:53 am

A bit of trivial for you: last night's winner, Mark Martin, is a native of Batesville, AR. A former colleague used to live in Martin's childhood home; he had written his name in the cement on the back patio. Martin now owns a car dealership in Batesville, complete with a Mark Martin NASCAR museum.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 19th, 2009, 10:16 am

colchar wrote:Lavabe won this week. Well done.
Important note:
I won by 1 point over colchar. Turns out we had VERY similar picks, save for colchar picking Stewart, and I went with Kurt Busch. Although Stewart came in 2nd to Busch's 3rd, Busch had a qualifying bonus AND led a number of laps. Stewart NEVER held the lead. So combine the qualifying and lead lap bonus, and Kurt Busch had one more point than Stewart.

To gove everyone a sense for how TOUGH this league is, I've moved up to the 96th percentile, and all I did was pull up 1 point closer to colchar. I'm also a mere 25 or so points away from Tilly. These folks are GOOOOOOOD. Way GOOOOOOOOOD!

On to Dega!!

Cheers,
Lavabe
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 10:49 am

Lavabe wrote:
To gove everyone a sense for how TOUGH this league is, I've moved up to the 96th percentile, and all I did was pull up 1 point closer to colchar. I'm also a mere 25 or so points away from Tilly. These folks are GOOOOOOOD. Way GOOOOOOOOOD!

I moved up to the 99th percentile and I'm assuming Tilly has as well. There are relatively few points separating the top three in our group - I am only 52 points ahead of Tilly who is only 28 points ahead of Lavabe.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------