Advertising gaffes

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Advertising gaffes

Post by bjornolf » May 28th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Is anyone else annoyed by this kind of thing? I was listening to the radio this morning, and they had a commercial on there. I think it was for McDonald's McCafe. Anyway, they go through their little spiel, and at the end, the announcer says, "It'll have you using sentence fragments like, 'That's so chill, dawg!'" Um, there's a subject, a verb, and even an adjective and an adverb. That's a complete sentence, dude, not a sentence fragment. I'm sorry, but there are kids out there who will think that's correct. Forgetting about that, though, these are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL ad people who supposedly have degrees in something like English or Journalism who came up with this. Not to mention all the editors and proofers that missed it. What is wrong with these people that they can't even make a sentence FRAGMENT properly? All they had to do was shorten it to "So chill, dawg!" or something like that. It takes an ENGINEER to figure out that these people don't know SIMPLE grammar? It's just embarrassing to me that people whose JOB it is to come up with this stuff can't even get it right. My SIX YEAR OLD said to me after hearing this the other day "What's a sentence fragment, Daddy?" I told him. He said, "But, Daddy, wasn't that a complete sentence?" HELLO, a KINDERGARTENER knows more than an ad agency full of people with college degrees. That's just sad to me. X(

They're not the only ones, either. I've heard or seen SEVERAL ads with stupid mistakes like this over the few years. What happened to professionalism in advertising?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Advertising gaffes

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 28th, 2009, 12:34 pm

bjornolf wrote:
They're not the only ones, either. I've heard or seen SEVERAL ads with stupid mistakes like this over the few years. What happened to professionalism in advertising?

%%-
The ads are designed for the LOWEST common denominator, and there are a lot of stupid people out there among the masses.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 28th, 2009, 12:36 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-
The ads are designed for the LOWEST common denominator, and there are a lot of stupid people out there among the masses.
Hey shouldn't this be in the joke thread???? Where are the mods when you need them? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 28th, 2009, 1:15 pm

bjornolf wrote:Is anyone else annoyed by this kind of thing? I was listening to the radio this morning, and they had a commercial on there. I think it was for McDonald's McCafe. Anyway, they go through their little spiel, and at the end, the announcer says, "It'll have you using sentence fragments like, 'That's so chill, dawg!'" Um, there's a subject, a verb, and even an adjective and an adverb. That's a complete sentence, dude, not a sentence fragment. I'm sorry, but there are kids out there who will think that's correct. Forgetting about that, though, these are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL ad people who supposedly have degrees in something like English or Journalism who came up with this. Not to mention all the editors and proofers that missed it. What is wrong with these people that they can't even make a sentence FRAGMENT properly? All they had to do was shorten it to "So chill, dawg!" or something like that. It takes an ENGINEER to figure out that these people don't know SIMPLE grammar? It's just embarrassing to me that people whose JOB it is to come up with this stuff can't even get it right. My SIX YEAR OLD said to me after hearing this the other day "What's a sentence fragment, Daddy?" I told him. He said, "But, Daddy, wasn't that a complete sentence?" HELLO, a KINDERGARTENER knows more than an ad agency full of people with college degrees. That's just sad to me. X(

%%-
That ad drives me nucking futs for all the reasons you stated.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 28th, 2009, 1:18 pm

CathyCA wrote:That ad drives me nucking futs for all the reasons you stated.
Can I use that? Nucking futs. That is HYSTERICAL!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 28th, 2009, 1:25 pm

bjornolf wrote:

%%-
I use nucking futs all the time. Even used it right in front of my mother.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 28th, 2009, 1:32 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-
I use nucking futs all the time. Even used it right in front of my mother.
I use it too...used it in a meeting at work the other day (hint: it was an I.T. meeting...political correctness in I.T. is always optional :)) )
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 28th, 2009, 3:22 pm

I hear a radio ad, every now and then, where the announcer asks an insurance agent for an example of some rate quote savings he was able to get for a client. I guess the sound is garbled at the beginning of his response, 'cause it sounds like he says, "I got a four year old man, on blood pressure medication..." :-o
I have mild hypertension but not since I was a four year old.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 28th, 2009, 3:57 pm

I believe he's saying "forty", but yea, annunciation is key there. My favorite is when they say "you can save 10% per gallon of gas because this car is so fuel efficient." What, are they going to give me a cash rebate of 10% for every gallon of gas you purchase?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 28th, 2009, 4:02 pm

bjornolf wrote:I believe he's saying "forty", but yea, annunciation is key there. My favorite is when they say "you can save 10% per gallon of gas because this car is so fuel efficient." What, are they going to give me a cash rebate of 10% for every gallon of gas you purchase?

%%-
I'm thinking forty as well but I keep hearing four.

How about the generic statement from car dealers, "We will not be undersold." :-\

Nobody will sell less than we will. :))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » May 30th, 2009, 11:10 am

My favorite "gaffe" if you can call it that is in a PSA for the "dangers" of railroad right-of-ways.

It begins with a small child asking: "When is Dad gonna' be home? He promised to play catch with me!" To which the mother replies: "He just went jogging, I'll play catch with you."

Then you hear the kid exclaim: "DAD, YOU'RE BLEEDING!" To which Dad responds: "Daddy did something stupid. I was jogging on the tracks and had my headphones on... I've never seen a train there before (okay, you're on the tracks, what the #$%^ else is gonna' be there!)... I jumped out of the way just in time..."

After a bit more banter between the family. The voiceover comes on and says (paraphrasing):

"ALWAYS expect a train! Keep off railroad right-of-ways. They are private property. (Now the gaffe, IMO.) If you trespass, someone in your family will get hurt." It sounds like they are the Mafia or something.
"If we see youse on da' tracks again, you can say guh-bye to that sweet little wife of yours!"

WTF!?!
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 30th, 2009, 12:43 pm

bjornolf wrote:

You'd never heard that before?!? That's an old one.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------