Duke University: 2010 - 2011

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Duke University: 2010 - 2011

Post by Rolvix » August 18th, 2010, 1:28 pm

So here it goes guys. Y'all (ahem, you all) have been a great support group over the past year and a half! I don't know if you realize the magnitude of the impact you had on my college applications, and as a result, my college acceptance/decision. Don't worry, I'm not leaving crazietalk or anything crazie like that. I'm just about to become a different, but very similar, kind of crazie. I haven't really been around the boards often since early this past spring because life has been incredibly busy. I doubt I'll have any more free time in the coming months than I've had recently, but I'm going to try to make an effort to at least update you on Duke, my life, and my life at Duke. Some of you will be interested in the life of a current Duke student, I'm sure. If not, just tell me. :D

Getting everything together in order to begin my first year at college has been almost as difficult as getting into the university itself. There have been quite a few deadlines and items to purchase, but I think I have almost everything done except for packing now! Our summer reading was a book called "Everything Matters" by Ron Currie Jr. It's a pretty interesting book, so far. It has to do with a boy who somehow has known from his early childhood the exact time and date the world will end, and how. During orientation we will have the opportunity to meet Ron Currie Jr. and discuss the book with him.

Oh man. There is so much going on. My classes are as follows: Global Diseases (FOCUS), International Law (FOCUS), Writing 20 - Religious Writing (or something to that effect, and Chem 31L (Intro to chem/lab/recitation). In addition I have a seminar every Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. dealing with my focus program, Global Health. I'm pretty sure that consists of eating dinner with the other focus members and professors and discussing world events.

As of right now I am on the Pre-Med track, majoring in Biology, and getting a certificate in Global Health. All of that is subject to change. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to actually major in Biology now. I would prefer a liberal arts major rather than a science major.

I will be living in the Wilson dorm on East Campus. It's basically attached to the dining hall (heck yes!), right across from the library, and right beside the bus stop; prime location. My roommate is Indian, resides in Charlotte, and seems to have many of the same interests and beliefs as I do. I've located four out of my five suite mates on facebook, including my roommate, and they all seem incredibly diverse. One is from New York, one is from Turkey, and one is from Singapore. Oh, and I recently found out a girl from Madrid just moved to New Bern and will be attending Duke with me next week! I think I'm about to be blown away by the diversity.

Finally, orientation week starts next Tuesday, August 24th. All of my friends here in New Bern leave on Friday if they haven't already left yet. I'm not looking forward to those few days by myself. I can't wait for college but I'm still scared to death. It's going to be an incredibly experience although sometimes I don't want to grow up. Our orientation week is absolutely packed, though. Maya Angelou is speaking to us at some point!

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know what's going on, and I want to use this thread to keep you informed on the Duke going-ons from an undergraduate perspective! I hope to see a lot of you at the football games!
Class of 2014
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke University: 2010 - 2011

Post by lawgrad91 » August 18th, 2010, 1:35 pm

:happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :wizard:

Best of luck to you, Rolvix! Hope to see you at Brunchgate, and feel free to keep us updated on how your collegiate experience is going!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » August 18th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Rolvix wrote:So here it goes guys. Y'all (ahem, you all) have been a great support group over the past year and a half! I don't know if you realize the magnitude of the impact you had on my college applications, and as a result, my college acceptance/decision. Don't worry, I'm not leaving crazietalk or anything crazie like that. I'm just about to become a different, but very similar, kind of crazie. I haven't really been around the boards often since early this past spring because life has been incredibly busy. I doubt I'll have any more free time in the coming months than I've had recently, but I'm going to try to make an effort to at least update you on Duke, my life, and my life at Duke. Some of you will be interested in the life of a current Duke student, I'm sure. If not, just tell me. :D

Getting everything together in order to begin my first year at college has been almost as difficult as getting into the university itself. There have been quite a few deadlines and items to purchase, but I think I have almost everything done except for packing now! Our summer reading was a book called "Everything Matters" by Ron Currie Jr. It's a pretty interesting book, so far. It has to do with a boy who somehow has known from his early childhood the exact time and date the world will end, and how. During orientation we will have the opportunity to meet Ron Currie Jr. and discuss the book with him.

Oh man. There is so much going on. My classes are as follows: Global Diseases (FOCUS), International Law (FOCUS), Writing 20 - Religious Writing (or something to that effect, and Chem 31L (Intro to chem/lab/recitation). In addition I have a seminar every Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. dealing with my focus program, Global Health. I'm pretty sure that consists of eating dinner with the other focus members and professors and discussing world events.

As of right now I am on the Pre-Med track, majoring in Biology, and getting a certificate in Global Health. All of that is subject to change. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to actually major in Biology now. I would prefer a liberal arts major rather than a science major.

I will be living in the Wilson dorm on East Campus. It's basically attached to the dining hall (heck yes!), right across from the library, and right beside the bus stop; prime location. My roommate is Indian, resides in Charlotte, and seems to have many of the same interests and beliefs as I do. I've located four out of my five suite mates on facebook, including my roommate, and they all seem incredibly diverse. One is from New York, one is from Turkey, and one is from Singapore. Oh, and I recently found out a girl from Madrid just moved to New Bern and will be attending Duke with me next week! I think I'm about to be blown away by the diversity.

Finally, orientation week starts next Tuesday, August 24th. All of my friends here in New Bern leave on Friday if they haven't already left yet. I'm not looking forward to those few days by myself. I can't wait for college but I'm still scared to death. It's going to be an incredibly experience although sometimes I don't want to grow up. Our orientation week is absolutely packed, though. Maya Angelou is speaking to us at some point!

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know what's going on, and I want to use this thread to keep you informed on the Duke going-ons from an undergraduate perspective! I hope to see a lot of you at the football games!
Thanks for doing this, it'll give me even more insight as I apply. Best of luck! Let me know when you're at football games and we can meet up!
indoor66

Post by indoor66 » August 18th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Rolvix wrote:So here it goes guys. Y'all (ahem, you all) have been a great support group over the past year and a half! I don't know if you realize the magnitude of the impact you had on my college applications, and as a result, my college acceptance/decision. Don't worry, I'm not leaving crazietalk or anything crazie like that. I'm just about to become a different, but very similar, kind of crazie. I haven't really been around the boards often since early this past spring because life has been incredibly busy. I doubt I'll have any more free time in the coming months than I've had recently, but I'm going to try to make an effort to at least update you on Duke, my life, and my life at Duke. Some of you will be interested in the life of a current Duke student, I'm sure. If not, just tell me. :D

Best of luck going forward. You are about to embark on the greatest adventure of your life. Enjoy all of the thrills, disappointments and achievement. They will make you into the adult you will be, for better or worse. I hope it is for the better.
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 18th, 2010, 2:05 pm

25 years ago I moved into the dorms for the first time. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

You have a lot more at your fingertips than most of us here did. My advice, in case you wanted it, take advantage of the opportunities presented to you. Travel, work with local groups, do K-ville as often as you can, study, but above all, have fun. Your college years will be among the best years of your life, and they will fly. May 2014 will be here before you know it.

I would love for you to include us on your experiences as a new college student.

Oh, if you ever need anything, a ride somewhere, bail money, let me know. Do you still have my cell phone number?
I worship the Blue Devil!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 18th, 2010, 2:13 pm

TillyGalore wrote:25 years ago I moved into the dorms for the first time. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

You have a lot more at your fingertips than most of us here did. My advice, in case you wanted it, take advantage of the opportunities presented to you. Travel, work with local groups, do K-ville as often as you can, study, but above all, have fun. Your college years will be among the best years of your life, and they will fly. May 2014 will be here before you know it.

I would love for you to include us on your experiences as a new college student.

Oh, if you ever need anything, a ride somewhere, bail money, let me know. Do you still have my cell phone number?
The opportunities at schools like Duke are incredible. If I can fit it in my schedule I want to live at the Duke Marine Lab next fall, Study abroad my Junior year, and somehow participate in DukeEngage (community service in a foreign country) over one summer.

I don't have your cell number anymore, I lost all of my numbers when I got a new phone. :|
Class of 2014
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Rolvix wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:25 years ago I moved into the dorms for the first time. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

The opportunities at schools like Duke are incredible. If I can fit it in my schedule I want to live at the Duke Marine Lab next fall, Study abroad my Junior year, and somehow participate in DukeEngage (community service in a foreign country) over one summer.

I don't have your cell number anymore, I lost all of my numbers when I got a new phone. :|
CLD is my daughter but not a member here but just about everyone knows her. She returned on 8/12 from 9 weeks in Uganda as part of a DukeEngage project. See me at a Brunchgate or PM me. She'll visit us at the Brunchgates before and after games so she can relate her experience with that particular program. She may have her pix up on FB by now. Along with her engagement pix so don't get any ideas :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 18th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Robbie, I'll keep up with you here and through your immensely proud grandparents when I see them at church.

HAVE FUN these next 4 years! I already know you will!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 18th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Please keep us updated on your college life. It will be fun to see Duke with new eyes and new experiences.

I hope you will stop by Brunchgate often - especially before the Alabama game (hint hint) - so that CTNers can meet you in person.

I will give you the advice my father gave me - there is more to an education than books. Of course, being a geek, it was pretty safe to tell me that. I don't know that he told my sister Sue the same thing.

Enjoy your college years - you will look back on them fondly. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » August 18th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Rolvix,

Awesome! It's all AHEAD of you. Words can't describe how awesome that is. You are about to embark on some of the greatest times of your life!

Would LOVE to stay updated on your adventures. You are definitely one of the "Good Guys!"

Best of luck and stay in touch!

Go FORTH young man! Go FORTH!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: **==

Hope to see you this fall.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 18th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Get ready for the best four years of your life! See you at Brunchgates and please give us glimpses of your student life as you are able. And always remember - :9f: :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 18th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Nothing but good, happy, wonderful wishes coming your way, Rolvix. I hope you love every minutes. See you at Bruchgates!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 18th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Hi Rolvix, Best wishes as you embark upon the next great adventure in your life. You'll do great! Looking forward to hearing of your adventures and meeting you at the Alabama game brunchgate.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » August 18th, 2010, 10:42 pm

I have the strangest urge to hug you! :ymhug: A HUGE CONGRATS!

My 4 years at Duke were spectacular, and the friends I made there are the best friends I have. If I could coax them all to move to my town from their adventures around the world, I would.

The first couple months were a little bewildering, so if you feel a little upside down after 3 wks of telling a gazillion ppl your name, dorm, home town, and possible major, that's normal.

Have a blast!! I enjoyed FOCUS a lot and am glad to hear it is still around.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 23rd, 2010, 12:31 am

Packing. Tomorrow (technically today) is my last day at home. Oh. My. God. What am I doing? I can't go to college... I'm not old enough. I should still be playing in the sandbox, right?!?

I'm really scared but SO excited. I've been in touch with the girl from Madrid (whom I met the other day in person) about the international orientation. I should have come from another country, haha. I'm kind of jealous of them. Then again, I don't want to leave any sooner than I have to, but I can't wait to get there. You know what I mean??

I need to pack some more... Tomorrow...
Class of 2014
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » August 23rd, 2010, 9:48 pm

You're old enough for sure. Breathe and have fun.

Woohoo!!!
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:duke: :duke: :duke:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2010, 10:07 pm

Rolvix wrote:Packing. Tomorrow (technically today) is my last day at home. Oh. My. God. What am I doing? I can't go to college... I'm not old enough. I should still be playing in the sandbox, right?!?

I'm really scared but SO excited. I've been in touch with the girl from Madrid (whom I met the other day in person) about the international orientation. I should have come from another country, haha. I'm kind of jealous of them. Then again, I don't want to leave any sooner than I have to, but I can't wait to get there. You know what I mean??

Vibes for you on your big day, Rolvix. And for your parents. :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 23rd, 2010, 10:24 pm

Rolvix wrote:Packing. Tomorrow (technically today) is my last day at home. Oh. My. God. What am I doing? I can't go to college... I'm not old enough. I should still be playing in the sandbox, right?!?

It's normal to be both scared and excited when you start on a new adventure.

Can't wait to meet you at Brunchgate!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 24th, 2010, 7:34 am

We're all exited right along with you! Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Add the OP and me to your list of folks you can PM if you need us. Some freshmen friends have called upon us for a home cooked meal or a quiet place to study for finals or a ride someplace. Feel free. Good luck!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2010, 8:00 am

This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it!

Psalm 118:24
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith