Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by rockymtn devil » August 13th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Lavabe wrote:August 28th, Louisville Zoo: Brew at the Zoo.

Will be there.
If possible, get a list of the breweries before you go and determine which ones you would really like to try. That ensures that you get to sample the beer you're most looking forward to before you destroy your tastebuds and get drunk. My brother and I did this last year at Great American Beer Fest and it really did make the experience better. And, have a great time!

I'm going to Denver Burger Battle next week. It's a blind tasting of 10 of the city's best burgers. The real highlight? Our tickets include unlimited beer from Great Divide and O'Dell. Man I love living in Colorado.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2010, 10:15 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:

Will be there.
If possible, get a list of the breweries before you go and determine which ones you would really like to try. That ensures that you get to sample the beer you're most looking forward to before you destroy your tastebuds and get drunk. My brother and I did this last year at Great American Beer Fest and it really did make the experience better. And, have a great time!

I'm going to Denver Burger Battle next week. It's a blind tasting of 10 of the city's best burgers. The real highlight? Our tickets include unlimited beer from Great Divide and O'Dell. Man I love living in Colorado.
Have fun.
Have a DD (Designated Driver, that is, as I will not be able to join you 8-| ).
Oh, and BTW, :obscene-drinkingcheers: .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » August 14th, 2010, 10:00 am

rockymtn devil wrote:

Will be there.

Man, I love visiting my daughter and family in Colorado. This last Friday we stayed in Boulder and visited Pearl Street for an informal brewery tour. What a place. Great "people watching" and,I believe, four breweries in a small area. Mountain Sun had great food and really good beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Hey, CB&B...

:-w :whistle:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 12:06 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:

Will be there.

Man, I love visiting my daughter and family in Colorado. This last Friday we stayed in Boulder and visited Pearl Street for an informal brewery tour. What a place. Great "people watching" and,I believe, four breweries in a small area. Mountain Sun had great food and really good beer.
Which other breweries?

Which brews?

:-w :whistle:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 14th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Was in a local grocery store today and saw that the O'Fallon Pumpkin Beer is out.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 12:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Was in a local grocery store today and saw that the O'Fallon Pumpkin Beer is out.
Schlafly's soon to follow?

Then, a Lavabe order shortly after that. :)) =))

:whistle:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 14th, 2010, 1:33 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Was in a local grocery store today and saw that the O'Fallon Pumpkin Beer is out.

As it turns out, there's a chance I might be driving out to NC for the Alabama game. I have lots of friends to visit in NC and VA. If I do, I already offered to play bootlegger for Lavabe and deliver the stuff I've got stashed for him. I might be persuaded to haul stuff a bit farther. Like, say, to Brunchgate attendees. Assuming I drive, of course, rather than flying out and renting a car. :-

I seem to remember throaty mentioning last year that O'Fallon's Pumpkin Beer was better than Schlafly's. I'm not the person to ask since I don't drink much beer. It seems to disagree with me - I think there's an allergy issue of some kind.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 14th, 2010, 3:55 pm

To DD's dad: This Bud's for you! :beer:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 4:19 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:

As it turns out, there's a chance I might be driving out to NC for the Alabama game. I have lots of friends to visit in NC and VA. If I do, I already offered to play bootlegger for Lavabe and deliver the stuff I've got stashed for him. I might be persuaded to haul stuff a bit farther. Like, say, to Brunchgate attendees. Assuming I drive, of course, rather than flying out and renting a car. :-

I seem to remember throaty mentioning last year that O'Fallon's Pumpkin Beer was better than Schlafly's. I'm not the person to ask since I don't drink much beer. It seems to disagree with me - I think there's an allergy issue of some kind.
Ozzie has an allergy to beer, too.
That's why he drinks budlite. :|

Seriously, buy a 6er of the O'Fallon's AND the Schlafly's. Two of each brew for Lavabe, CB&B and yours truly. We'll all compare them and PW, err, post reviews here. Lavabe's good for the $$ ;) :D .

More seriously, you are more than welcome at any Brunchgate, beer or no beer. I thought you were one of the definite guests for the Alabama game anyway, whether by land or by air.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 14th, 2010, 4:26 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote: As it turns out, there's a chance I might be driving out to NC for the Alabama game. I have lots of friends to visit in NC and VA. If I do, I already offered to play bootlegger for Lavabe and deliver the stuff I've got stashed for him. I might be persuaded to haul stuff a bit farther. Like, say, to Brunchgate attendees. Assuming I drive, of course, rather than flying out and renting a car. :-

Ozzie has an allergy to beer, too.
That's why he drinks budlite. :|

Seriously, buy a 6er of the O'Fallon's AND the Schlafly's. Two of each brew for Lavabe, CB&B and yours truly. We'll all compare them and PW, err, post reviews here. Lavabe's good for the $$ ;) :D .

More seriously, you are more than welcome at any Brunchgate, beer or no beer. I thought you were one of the definite guests for the Alabama game anyway, whether by land or by air.
AD will be at the Alabama game. She's just not sure if she will drive or fly to it.

I'm not allergic to beer. After all, I had one of your Dad's Buds that you gave me after golf today. Anything to rehydrate! B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 14th, 2010, 4:38 pm

The Ozzmeister is correct! I'm planning a vacation around the Alabama game. Out to visit friends in VA the week before, back to St. Louis after. Still debating driving vs flying; leaning toward driving. I can certainly bring some Schlafly's and O'Fallon's out to you. I still have some of the Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale from last year if that's acceptable.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 14th, 2010, 4:54 pm

devildeac wrote:Mojo IPA-Boulder Brewing

For the capt. :D . Three grains (pale, wheat and 20L caramel) and two hops (Amarillo and Centennial) brewed into a golden, light caramel color with a mildly foamy head and mostly resin taste. The web site says citrus but that's not what my palate perceives. I'd guess the IBU in the 60-70 range and the ABV is 6.8%. Good but not great brew to have with Cathy's/Lavabe's or Miles' citrus salsas on chicken or fish. This was part of a 6er trader last week. Not a brew I'd search out and buy but definitely worth a taste to compare to other IPAs from the shelves.
We capts are particularly fond of resin. :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 5:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The Ozzmeister is correct! I'm planning a vacation around the Alabama game. Out to visit friends in VA the week before, back to St. Louis after. Still debating driving vs flying; leaning toward driving. I can certainly bring some Schlafly's and O'Fallon's out to you. I still have some of the Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale from last year if that's acceptable.
:bring it:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 14th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Parents took us out to eat tonight at the River Company Restaraunt & Brewery in in Radford, Va. Excellent food, great location overlooking the river, and damn good beer.
081410164434.jpg
081410164419.jpg
081410175517.jpg
081410175555.jpg
I had the Southwest "V" IPA. Here's my notes while enjoying dinner.
Low head, crisp clear golden color, 85IBU (at least close), 7.5%ABV(at least close), very fresh taste with a bite. Heavy bodied sipper that went great with my kabobs.

Included some shots of the brew room as well.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 14th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Report from Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Va. (Home of the Hokies)
This store was flat out awesome. The only drawback was they didn't have a shopping cart available. I made many trips to the register with pickin's before I went back to pick some more. I bought a full case of beer, plus a four pack of Oskar Blues Gubna, and two bombers for $76. That's pretty respectable given the quality of beer I walked out with. There were several more I wanted, but I had to restrain myself. Here are some photos of a few I left on the shelf.
081410145729.jpg
Yes..you read that right..1999. A bit out of my price range for a 12oz..but damn it was tempting.
081410150120.jpg
I LOVED this series, and really wanted to bring one home, but once again practiced restraint. The one bottle on the left that you can't read is called "Santa's Butt". =)) From there it goes "Bad Elf", "Very Bad Elf", "Seriously Bad Elf" and "Criminally Bad Elf".
Here is the list that I did come home with..
Oskar Blues Gubna (10%ABV) 4 pack
Clay Pipe Backfin Ale (stab in the dark..only $.95 a bottle so I bought 4)
Great Divide Denver Pale Ale
Butternut's Snapperhead IPA (can)
Butternut's Porkslap Ale (can..and what a name)
Butternut's Moo Thunder Stout (can)
Duck Rabbit Barleywine
Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Stout (won't ever turn that down)
RJ Rockers Bell Ringer
Dominion Ale
Bluegrass Pale Ale
Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter (this was the 2 bombers)

Got two of everything (3 of some) for a trading session with DD next week, so keep eye out for reviews to compare.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » August 14th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Mountain Sun is on Pearl Street a block or so off the the pedestrian mall. I had a great BLT and enjoyed the Rasp. Wheat with the meal. It was very hot out and the beer
quenched my thirst. The Colorado Kind Ale I had for dessert was very hoppy and a brew I would buy even though I am not a confirmed hop head.

Boulder Beer Co. was having a private party, so we ate dinner at a place that if memory serves me right was called Lazy Dog and Naked Fish Sports Grill. The wait person suggested Hazed and Infused--another great beer that went well with the pulled pork (not as good as some pulled pork, but good never the less). I can not remember the other breweries close by, but time permitting I will peruse my literature/ maps that I used to find my way around. Somewhere I also had a pomegranate wheat beer, but that may have been in Grand Lake earlier.

The next day we returned to Fort Collins where upon I bought a case of Fat Tire and a 12 pack of Sunshine to bring home--cans are easier to transport.

BTW, the Toledo Zoo is having a Zoo Brew on September 17--we plan on attending.

This is in response to the where/what question.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 9:46 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:Mountain Sun is on Pearl Street a block or so off the the pedestrian mall. I had a great BLT and enjoyed the Rasp. Wheat with the meal. It was very hot out and the beer
quenched my thirst. The Colorado Kind Ale I had for dessert was very hoppy and a brew I would buy even though I am not a confirmed hop head.

Boulder Beer Co. was having a private party, so we ate dinner at a place that if memory serves me right was called Lazy Dog and Naked Fish Sports Grill. The wait person suggested Hazed and Infused--another great beer that went well with the pulled pork (not as good as some pulled pork, but good never the less). I can not remember the other breweries close by, but time permitting I will peruse my literature/ maps that I used to find my way around. Somewhere I also had a pomegranate wheat beer, but that may have been in Grand Lake earlier.

The next day we returned to Fort Collins where upon I bought a case of Fat Tire and a 12 pack of Sunshine to bring home--cans are easier to transport.

BTW, the Toledo Zoo is having a Zoo Brew on September 17--we plan on attending.

This is in response to the where/what question.
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Don't be a stranger around this thread. Or the rest of the board either. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 9:47 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Report from Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Va. (Home of the Hokies)
This store was flat out awesome. The only drawback was they didn't have a shopping cart available. I made many trips to the register with pickin's before I went back to pick some more. I bought a full case of beer, plus a four pack of Oskar Blues Gubna, and two bombers for $76. That's pretty respectable given the quality of beer I walked out with. There were several more I wanted, but I had to restrain myself. Here are some photos of a few I left on the shelf.
081410145729.jpg
Yes..you read that right..1999. A bit out of my price range for a 12oz..but damn it was tempting.
081410150120.jpg
I LOVED this series, and really wanted to bring one home, but once again practiced restraint. The one bottle on the left that you can't read is called "Santa's Butt". =)) From there it goes "Bad Elf", "Very Bad Elf", "Seriously Bad Elf" and "Criminally Bad Elf".
Here is the list that I did come home with..
Oskar Blues Gubna (10%ABV) 4 pack
Clay Pipe Backfin Ale (stab in the dark..only $.95 a bottle so I bought 4)
Great Divide Denver Pale Ale
Butternut's Snapperhead IPA (can)
Butternut's Porkslap Ale (can..and what a name)
Butternut's Moo Thunder Stout (can)
Duck Rabbit Barleywine
Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Stout (won't ever turn that down)
RJ Rockers Bell Ringer
Dominion Ale
Bluegrass Pale Ale
Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter (this was the 2 bombers)

Got two of everything (3 of some) for a trading session with DD next week, so keep eye out for reviews to compare.
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Charlie, Fred and Ken's Imperial Helles Bock-30th Anniversary Ale-Sierra Nevada

This is the 2nd in their anniversary series with another scheduled to be released mid-July this year but no sight of it yet in this area. The 1st was an imperial stout and this is a much lighter offering with an estimated IBU in the 20-30 range but with a nice floral hoppy aroma and taste. The toasty, biscuity flavors and aromas dominate however in this slightly cloudy and sweet, toffee-caramel flavored double/imperial bock. It comes in a caged and corked 750 ml bottle worthy of sharing, which I did last evening with CLD and dukediv2012 to celebrate her return from Uganda on Thursday. It made a very nice nightcap but would also be good with lighter grilled entrees, especially some pork tenderloin. CB&B got one of these last month IIRC so I'd be interested in his thoughts, too.