What's wrong with this burger?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: What's wrong with this burger?

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2010, 10:54 am

Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:Agreed on all accounts, but that's pretty much true for all fast food meals, even the salads. It's disturbing how chains have duped the public into thinking that one of their salads is a healthier alternative to burgers and fries. One would have to hold the cheese and hold off on the dressing and other toppings for the meal to be taken seriously as a healthy alternative.
Chick-Fil-A included? ;)

As for dressing, go with a vinaigrette, assuming it doesn't have much sodium.

Brava, CathyCA!! :-BD :-BD
Oh man definitely Chick-Fil-A. They're salads, loaded with all of the toppings they provide without request, are you're doing worse than getting the equivalent sandwich. The chargrilled salad starts at a very respectable 180 calories, 6g fat, 4g fiber, 6g sugar, 22g protein, but if you add the croutons and dressing you end up around 400 calories, 25g fat, 4g fiber, 8g sugar, 23g protein. If you get the sandwich along you'll get 410 calories, 12g fat, 3g fiber, 10g sugar, 37g protein.

The Light Italian and Berry Balsamic are the healthiest on the menu. I haven't had the Light Italian but I love Berry Balsamic.

In comparison, a simliar salad (no toppings) at McDonald's packs on more calories than Chick-Fil-A. I'm too hungry to compare them with toppings. Time for breakfast!
So if you just went with the Berry Basalmic and avoid the croutons, what's the nutrition tally?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Duke2014
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Duke2014 » August 8th, 2010, 12:01 pm

I read an article about this once; burgers are fried, and the grill lines are painted on. This is fairly common practice actually.
~Duke2014
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 8th, 2010, 1:26 pm

CathyCA wrote:What's wrong with that burger is that some people will eat it, along with super-sized fries and a mega large coke at one sitting.

It's too big. It's too high in fat and caloric content to eat at one meal, but plenty of people will do so and compromise their health.

770 calories 17g sat. fat 115mg cholesterol 10g sugar 53g carbs
46g fat 0.5g trans fat 36g protein 1380mg sodium

Allergens:

* Wheat
* , Soy
* , Egg

To which burger are you referring?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 1:30 pm

captmojo wrote:Little grill right down (300 yards away) from the house, doing an incredible amount o'bidniz every day 'cept Sundays, deep fries Red Racer hot dogs. Having to be the neighborly type that I are, I've had them... =p~ . They keep the oil hot enough that when the dogs are put in, the casings are sealing in the lip and asshole juices, making them delectable and addictive and they lead to amnesia. They really do. People seem to keep forgetting what they taste like, so they keep going back. :twitch:
I'd give that a try!
sMiles
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 8th, 2010, 2:34 pm

I saw a great show once on Discovery or Food Network years ago on the art of food photography. It was absolutely disgusting some of the things they did to make the food look "perfect."

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2010, 2:37 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I saw a great show once on Discovery or Food Network years ago on the art of food photography. It was absolutely disgusting some of the things they did to make the food look "perfect."

You don't like glue in you cereal's milk?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 2:50 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I saw a great show once on Discovery or Food Network years ago on the art of food photography. It was absolutely disgusting some of the things they did to make the food look "perfect."

It is truly amazing stuff to witness and take part in. Smells worse than it looks.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 8th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Miles wrote:Grill marks. How in the bloody dickens do you get grill marks on the side of a burger?

Me thinks it's fake, which is bothersome.
Have you ever seen how they "flame broil" their burgers at BK? They have a big rotating thing with little square "cages" like the toasters a lot of dorms have. They stick the burger in the cage and it goes around the loop and drops out the bottom. When the burger is going up or down, it's resting on the edges of the "cage". That's how you get grill marks on the side of the burger.

And the scene in "The Whole Nine Yards" with Bruce Willis loses his mind over the Canadians putting mayo on burgers is my favorite scene in the movie.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 8:13 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Miles wrote:Grill marks. How in the bloody dickens do you get grill marks on the side of a burger?

Have you ever seen how they "flame broil" their burgers at BK? They have a big rotating thing with little square "cages" like the toasters a lot of dorms have. They stick the burger in the cage and it goes around the loop and drops out the bottom. When the burger is going up or down, it's resting on the edges of the "cage". That's how you get grill marks on the side of the burger.

And the scene in "The Whole Nine Yards" with Bruce Willis loses his mind over the Canadians putting mayo on burgers is my favorite scene in the movie.

@};-
The only problem with your explanation is that BK precooks their burgers before they're flame broiled. In my experience, it's very difficult to get genuine grill marks on twice-cooked "beef". The "flame broiling" is only meant to reheat the burger. Those marks are fake, the only question now is "What makes the grill marks?".
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

@};-
The only problem with your explanation is that BK precooks their burgers before they're flame broiled. In my experience, it's very difficult to get genuine grill marks on twice-cooked "beef". The "flame broiling" is only meant to reheat the burger. Those marks are fake, the only question now is "What makes the grill marks?".
Beef paint.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Just saw the XT commercial on TV. Beef paint in moving color.
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » August 8th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

@};-
They didn't used to pre-cook. I owned a BK in the 80's and the meat was placed on the broiler raw and defrosted.
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 9:59 pm

indoor66 wrote:
Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote: Have you ever seen how they "flame broil" their burgers at BK? They have a big rotating thing with little square "cages" like the toasters a lot of dorms have. They stick the burger in the cage and it goes around the loop and drops out the bottom. When the burger is going up or down, it's resting on the edges of the "cage". That's how you get grill marks on the side of the burger.

@};-
They didn't used to pre-cook. I owned a BK in the 80's and the meat was placed on the broiler raw and defrosted.
Wow, that's awesome, I wish they could go back to that. The last time I went to BK I saw them grab some tongs, pull a patty out of a tray and then throw it in the broiler. It was quite unappetizing.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 8th, 2010, 11:33 pm

colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote:What's wrong with that burger is that some people will eat it, along with super-sized fries and a mega large coke at one sitting.

It's too big. It's too high in fat and caloric content to eat at one meal, but plenty of people will do so and compromise their health.

Allergens:

* Wheat
* , Soy
* , Egg

The one in the picture. The Burger King XT, I think.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 8th, 2010, 11:35 pm

CathyCA wrote:
colchar wrote:

Allergens:

* Wheat
* , Soy
* , Egg

The one in the picture. The Burger King XT, I think.

That's what I thought. Believe me, it tastes like it has double or triple the salt content listed.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------