Blue Devil Club

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

shereec
PWing School Professor

Blue Devil Club

Post by shereec » August 4th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Hi, Friends.
I am the Sec/Treas of the Blue Devil Club - a group that's been around since the 60s - 70s (I can't remember when it was started, but my Dad was one of the original members). Our annual membership drive is under way and I thought some of you might be interested in hearing about it. We have 4-5 luncheons each during football and basketball season. Guest speakers include Coaches and Assistant Coaches from the football, men's basketball, and women's basketball programs. We also have speakers from other teams from time to time. Below is the membership letter. If any of you are interested, send me a note and I'll get the order form out to you. I'm sorry that I'm image-insertion impaired - can't figure out how to get the picture of the shirt inserted below...
GO DUKE!
Sheree

Dear Fellow Blue Devil Club Members,

It is my pleasure to welcome you to another exciting year with the Blue Devil Club. The Board has completed the Fall planning and we have five exciting events lined up for football. Most of our meetings this year will be back at Croasdaile and are a great way to keep in touch with Duke Athletics and show our support. For the October luncheon, held on campus, shuttles from parking to the building will be provided; in addition, John Danowski, Coach of the National Championship Lacrosse team will be our guest.

The dates for the Football luncheons are as follows:

Friday, Sept. 3 prior to Elon game
Friday, Sept. 24 prior to Army game
Friday, Oct. 14 prior to Miami game – on campus at the Yoh building
Friday, Nov. 5, prior to Virginia game
Friday, Nov. 12, prior to Boston College – special guest Kevin White

As in the past, we request that you be sure to make reservations by replying to the email notice or call the Blue Devil Club personal secretary phone line (828-1860) to make your reservations by the designated date and time. As the Club’s membership continues to grow, it becomes even more necessary to know just how many members are going to attend our meetings so we can plan accordingly for space and food arrangements. In addition, there is a limit of 2 guests per member for each event to insure that all of our members have the opportunity to participate in each event.

Concerning basketball season, we will provide the dates and times for scheduled meetings once the men’s and women’s schedules have been finalized and published. We will work towards having an open practice with both teams for the club as in years past and will have meetings during the season with both Coach K and Coach P.

This year our dues structure has changed slightly to accommodate rising costs. The annual dues for the 2009-2010 season will be $75 per person. The luncheon prices remain the same at $10.00 for members, $15 for spouses and $25 for guests. Please send your membership dues along with enclosed order form to the following address:

The Blue Devil Club
1918 Sunset Drive
Raleigh, N.C. 27608

This year we have Blue Devil Club shirts for sale.

(there should be a picture of the shirt here...)

These must be ordered in advance. All orders received by August 15 will be available for pick-up at the first luncheon of the year. Both men’s and women’s sizes are available. Prices are included on the enclosed order form. Please add the cost for each item ordered to your membership check.

We are excited about the upcoming season and will look forward to seeing everyone at our football meetings. If you have any suggestions regarding our programs, please contact one of our board members to discuss your idea. This is your club and we want to make sure that we continue to provide a great platform for our members to stay in touch with Duke. Our board members are Rick Joyner, Joe Beavers, Steve Anderson, Renny Boothby, Sheree Crotsley, Rickey Dennis, Fritz Hine, Bob Milbourne, George Pashales, Ed Roberson, and Fred Roberson.

I will look forward to being your president this year and seeing you at the meetings and at all of the games. The meetings will continue to offer us the opportunity to learn more about the athletic programs at Duke. If you should have any questions or comments concerning our Fall events, then please call me at 336-599-8912. Thanks!

Go Devils!

Sincerely,

George Pashales
President
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Blue Devil Club

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 4th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I've been a member for three years and enjoy every meeting I get to go to, which is most of them - one of the joys of being self employed! I got my letter in the mail yesterday and will be returning it with my check for $75. The speakers are always great, even though we don't get any really good inside info (there are a couple of members of the press there as members, after all). It's fun, the food is decent, and the company is great!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 4th, 2010, 9:18 pm

I'll put in a plug for the Blue Devil Club.

They're wonderful, and they've been so supportive of Duke Athletics through the years.

Plus, ShereeC is the Secretary/Treasurer, and George Pashales is the President. George's daughter, Maria, was my best friend at Hillandale Elementary School back in the early 1970s. They are long-time Duke fans. (One of my friends forwarded ShereeC's letter to me earlier this week, and I've been able to reconnect with Mr. Pashales and Maria. Small world!)

Everyone should join, or try to make a few meetings.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » August 4th, 2010, 9:35 pm

I was a member in the 70's back when George McAfee (Running Back on the original Iron Dukes of 1939, All American, and then All-Pro with the Chicago Bears) was a regular, Ace Parker (Duke Football All American) would show up and Wallace Wade was a guest and speaker on a number of occasions. Eddie Cameron was around and Carl James would put in an appearance. It was and is a great group.

The Blue Devil Club sponsored the Basketball Dinner each year back then. IRRC, it was held in the old Civic Center on Foster St. It was a fun affair with Tom Connelly (Class of 1941, Basketball, Connelly's Jewelers in Durham - at the corner of Main and Market Streets in the old Trust Building next to CCB) chairing. Murray Brandt (Duke, 1944 or so and owner of The Fashion women's store on Main Street - down the street from Baldwin's Department Store), Dan Edwards (Durham District Attorney), Sam Gantt (Duke Basketball and Durham Attorney), Eugene Brooks (Duke Football and Basketball and Durham Attorney), Art Vann (Duke Undergrad and Law, Durham Criminial Defense lawyer), Ed Swindell (Duke Basketball and Durham County Manager) and and others I cannot recall at the moment, were all regulars.

The Blue Devil Club has a long and honorable history in Durham.
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Maybe I ought to start taking Fridays off so I can attend some of these...

:think:

Oh, wait a minute. I'm not a dentist 8-| .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

I was a member of the Blue Devil Club for many years before I moved from Durham to Winston-Salem. A dear friend who sat in front of me during the football season invited me to join. There was always great fellowship and repeated opportunities to meet others who love Duke. One of my special favorites among the regulars was Dr. Frank Bassett.

By the way....... CathyCA, George Paschles was in my wedding. I used to babysit Maria and Sophia when I was at Duke. I loved Mr. Jimmy, George's dad who helped out at the UG. Great friends!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 4th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I was a member of the Blue Devil Club for many years before I moved from Durham to Winston-Salem. A dear friend who sat in front of me during the football season invited me to join. There was always great fellowship and repeated opportunities to meet others who love Duke. One of my special favorites among the regulars was Dr. Frank Bassett.

By the way....... CathyCA, George Paschles was in my wedding. I used to babysit Maria and Sophia when I was at Duke. I loved Mr. Jimmy, George's dad who helped out at the UG. Great friends!
Small world, indeed!

We should invite them to CTN!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith