Computer (Email) Help Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Computer (Email) Help Needed

Post by colchar » May 23rd, 2009, 1:52 pm

For some reason lately, whenever I try to open an email attachment (in Windows Mail, Gmail, etc.) the program freezes up and shuts down. These are usually emails that have been forwarded to me and appear as attachments in another email (usually from my department at school). This never used to happen in any program and I am not sure why it is happening now. I had installed a new anti-virus program and thought that it might be the cause but I deleted that program and the problem persists.

If anyone has any idea why this might be happening and, more importantly, how I might resolve it I'd greatly appreciate the help.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Computer (Email) Help Needed

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 23rd, 2009, 5:04 pm

If it just started, maybe a system restore back a day or so will cure it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 23rd, 2009, 7:11 pm

I just tried that and it didn't work. Shitty.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 24th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Are the attachments particular to one program, like Word docs or PDFs, or are they all different and it doesn't matter what the file association is?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 24th, 2009, 3:38 pm

It didn't matter what the attachment was (Word docs, forwarded email, etc.).

I've actually managed to fix things. I got tired of the problem and installed Window$ Live Mail and it worked fine. I then went into Safe Mode to delete some stuff that hadn't deleted properly (like anti virus programs) and, when all that was done, I decided to check Window$ Mail just to see what would happen. When I did it worked fine and seems to still be alright. I've kept Window$ Live Mail on there just in case.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 26th, 2009, 1:25 pm

colchar wrote:It didn't matter what the attachment was (Word docs, forwarded email, etc.).

I've actually managed to fix things. I got tired of the problem and installed Window$ Live Mail and it worked fine. I then went into Safe Mode to delete some stuff that hadn't deleted properly (like anti virus programs) and, when all that was done, I decided to check Window$ Mail just to see what would happen. When I did it worked fine and seems to still be alright. I've kept Window$ Live Mail on there just in case.
Umm, why the use of a $ for a FREE product?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 26th, 2009, 1:32 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
colchar wrote:It didn't matter what the attachment was (Word docs, forwarded email, etc.).

Being bundled into an operating system that costs over a hundred bux doesn't make it free. :-B
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 26th, 2009, 3:31 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:

Because I use it in all web references to Micro$oft products, free or not.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 26th, 2009, 3:32 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:

Being bundled into an operating system that costs over a hundred bux doesn't make it free. :-B
Not bundled - thank the EU for that. ;) You get it separately.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 26th, 2009, 3:53 pm

DevilAlumna wrote: Not bundled - thank the EU for that. ;) You get it separately.
I see you can download it, so then it is free for XP folks, but I've yet to run into anyone who has installed it voluntarily. That being said, I do like windows mail much better than OE. I've not played around with it tons, and since you're the MS expert, what is the difference between Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail?
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 26th, 2009, 10:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote: Not bundled - thank the EU for that. ;) You get it separately.
I see you can download it, so then it is free for XP folks, but I've yet to run into anyone who has installed it voluntarily. That being said, I do like windows mail much better than OE. I've not played around with it tons, and since you're the MS expert, what is the difference between Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail?
Windows Live Mail is the newest version - it replaces both Windows Mail and Outlook Express as Microsoft's free mail client (meaning online and offline access to mail accounts.)