What's for dinner?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by lawgrad91 » August 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm

Update at the lawgrad house: I had mushroom ravioli. B decided he needed to go to a taqueria called Los Potros and buy a torta(?) and two pounds of carne asada.

DD, you're on call tonight, right? Can I drop him off on my way to Ima's for peach streusel?
Iron Duke #1471997.
mph
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by mph » August 2nd, 2010, 9:13 pm

Grilled Cornish hen, fresh green beans, a goat cheese and fresh mozzarella bruschetta, and a bottle of Chianti. This is the first time I've grilled a Cornish hen, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I didn't start cooking until 8:45, so this will be a late :jawdrop: dinner.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 2nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

Grilled cheese with essence of this stuff...
http://waterlox.com/products-item/water ... inish.aspx
:ymsick:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 2nd, 2010, 9:53 pm

mph wrote:Grilled Cornish hen, fresh green beans, a goat cheese and fresh mozzarella bruschetta, and a bottle of Chianti. This is the first time I've grilled a Cornish hen, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I didn't start cooking until 8:45, so this will be a late :jawdrop: dinner.
Cornish Hens are fun. Have you ever tried spatchcocking? Definitely a recommended technique for grilling up a bird.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 2nd, 2010, 9:56 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Update at the lawgrad house: I had mushroom ravioli. B decided he needed to go to a taqueria called Los Potros and buy a torta(?) and two pounds of carne asada.

DD, you're on call tonight, right? Can I drop him off on my way to Ima's for peach streusel?
Mmmm, what kind of torta?
sMiles
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 2nd, 2010, 10:09 pm

Miles wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Update at the lawgrad house: I had mushroom ravioli. B decided he needed to go to a taqueria called Los Potros and buy a torta(?) and two pounds of carne asada.

Mmmm, what kind of torta?
Carne. I had a couple of bites of it, and it was REALLY good.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 2nd, 2010, 10:13 pm

Miles wrote:
mph wrote:Grilled Cornish hen, fresh green beans, a goat cheese and fresh mozzarella bruschetta, and a bottle of Chianti. This is the first time I've grilled a Cornish hen, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I didn't start cooking until 8:45, so this will be a late :jawdrop: dinner.
Cornish Hens are fun. Have you ever tried spatchcocking? Definitely a recommended technique for grilling up a bird.
Spatchcock was dictionary.com's Word of the Day this morning.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 2nd, 2010, 10:18 pm

Spatchcock sounds like the opposite of a pitchfork OY. Like a spork on a government contract or something.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 11:02 pm

I'm a bit outta the way in Raleigh but we're still open. Make sure he has an aspirin en route. Ya know, a little blood thinner before the "big one."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
mph
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by mph » August 3rd, 2010, 12:06 am

Miles wrote:
No, I haven't tried it, but after doing a couple of searches, it looks like a good way to grill poultry. This time I just halved the hen, used EVOO, medium ground pepper, and sea salt. It took about 35 minutes to cook, but it stayed pretty moist in spite of the long cooking time. I picked the hens up on the way home from work so I didn't have time to marinate. Do you have to marinate when you spatchcock to keep the bird from drying out? Oh, and any marinade recommendations are welcome! :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 3rd, 2010, 8:37 am

mph wrote:
Miles wrote:
No, I haven't tried it, but after doing a couple of searches, it looks like a good way to grill poultry. This time I just halved the hen, used EVOO, medium ground pepper, and sea salt. It took about 35 minutes to cook, but it stayed pretty moist in spite of the long cooking time. I picked the hens up on the way home from work so I didn't have time to marinate. Do you have to marinate when you spatchcock to keep the bird from drying out? Oh, and any marinade recommendations are welcome! :D
=p~ =p~ =p~ I would even eat this for breakfast.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 3rd, 2010, 9:41 am

mph wrote:
Miles wrote:
Halving the hen will produce similar results as spatchcocking, it just doesn't look at cool. ;) If your hen halves were juicy coming off the grill, then the spatchcocked bird will be juicy coming off the grill.

I'm not a big fan of marinades in general. I tend to lean towards rubs, wet or dry, or brining. Whatever rub is your preference, loosen the skin on the bird and spread the rub directly onto the meat, under the skin. I don't have exact proportions but I love fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme, dijon mustard, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice.
IMG_0589.JPG
sMiles
mph
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by mph » August 3rd, 2010, 10:13 am

Miles wrote:
mph wrote:
Miles wrote: Cornish Hens are fun. Have you ever tried spatchcocking? Definitely a recommended technique for grilling up a bird.
Halving the hen will produce similar results as spatchcocking, it just doesn't look at cool. ;) If your hen halves were juicy coming off the grill, then the spatchcocked bird will be juicy coming off the grill.

I'm not a big fan of marinades in general. I tend to lean towards rubs, wet or dry, or brining. Whatever rub is your preference, loosen the skin on the bird and spread the rub directly onto the meat, under the skin. I don't have exact proportions but I love fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme, dijon mustard, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice.
IMG_0589.JPG
I like the idea of applying the rub under the skin and I think I'll add some lemon juice next time. Thanks for the advice.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am

The OP had the last piece of pie for breakfast, bless his heart.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Miles

Post by Miles » August 3rd, 2010, 10:31 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:The OP had the last piece of pie for breakfast, bless his heart.
Love, Ima
There went my dinner plans tonight!
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2010, 11:27 am

Miles wrote:
IMG_0589.JPG
Damn that looks good!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 3rd, 2010, 11:43 am

Miles wrote:I'm not a big fan of marinades in general. I tend to lean towards rubs, wet or dry, or brining. Whatever rub is your preference, loosen the skin on the bird and spread the rub directly onto the meat, under the skin. I don't have exact proportions but I love fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme, dijon mustard, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice.
Once again, I disagree with Miles. Marinading properly can be a beautiful thing. I tend to go with an Italian dressing-like marinade with a little berry preserves (when in season), but it looks like Miles is also going with good marinade material (mustard, OO, and lemon juice).
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 3rd, 2010, 12:44 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm not a big fan of marinades in general. I tend to lean towards rubs, wet or dry, or brining. Whatever rub is your preference, loosen the skin on the bird and spread the rub directly onto the meat, under the skin. I don't have exact proportions but I love fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme, dijon mustard, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice.
Once again, I disagree with Miles. Marinading properly can be a beautiful thing. I tend to go with an Italian dressing-like marinade with a little berry preserves (when in season), but it looks like Miles is also going with good marinade material (mustard, OO, and lemon juice).
This old dog is learning LOTS of new tricks from Miles. No offense to all you other chefs, but MAN...every time I try one of his suggestions I'm really glad I did.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Miles

Post by Miles » August 3rd, 2010, 2:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:
You disagree what? You disagree that I am not a big fan of marinades? You disagree that I lean towards rubs?

I didn't say marinades were bad, or that I had something better, just that I'm not a big fan of them in general. I'll go with a marinade when the mood strikes, it's just not that often. In my experience rubs impart a more distinct flavor that doesn't dominate or overpower the meat, especially when they caramelize on the grill. Mmmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I do like brining, which is technically a marinade but I tend to think that marinades are more palatable. Sampling a brine can turn your eyeballs inside out.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 3rd, 2010, 2:05 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
This old dog is learning LOTS of new tricks from Miles. No offense to all you other chefs, but MAN...every time I try one of his suggestions I'm really glad I did.
Love, Ima
Awwww that's wonderful to read! Thanks Ima. The only thing better than preparing and enjoying a great meal is sharing the love with someone else. :ymhug:
sMiles