WTF happened to over yonder?!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: WTF happened to over yonder?!

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 2:47 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
devildeac wrote:Someone mentioned the "removal" of the Introducing... thread OY. It has simply been "unstickied."

PSA of the day.

;;)

You beat me to it. Here is a :happy-bouncyblue: and a :spork: in recognition.
:ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 2nd, 2010, 2:54 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Well, I've read 99% of it from the beginning,

You need help.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » August 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't just totally wiped the LTE from DBR entirely.

But I think folks here would agree that, yes, the remaining LTE crew is pretty insular (tons of inside jokes), a couple people have cracked in since CTN'ers left, but you know they haven't read through the whole damned thing. Yes, sometimes something of modest substance does get brought up in LTE. Yes, perhaps that's worth its own heading under the OTB. You may have noticed, the OTB is otherwise pretty freakin' boring these days.

I guess I interpreted his post as more along the lines of, "hey, we know you guys are still here, and you are an interesting bunch, so why don't you come out of the back room and hang with the rest of the bar?"
I particularly don't understand the nasty, naked attacks on Jason Evans, who has never been anything but cordial with anyone.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 11:00 pm

throatybeard wrote: I particularly don't understand the nasty, naked attacks on Jason Evans, who has never been anything but cordial with anyone.
If they are there, you will have to point them out. I've only seen folks make fun of his signature (ok...colchar referenced his douchebaggy self...that wasn't nice..but out of all the people who have posted in this thread you zone in on a comment from one of our members who has a less than pleasant history with over yonder)....besides that one..which I had to hunt for, I haven't seen any posts be nasty and naked to any of the DBR mods, on any thread...except for Jumbo but he has an attitude that deserves what he asks for.
Out of this whole thread...that's what you've come up? Please Throaty..there is a lot of valid criticism in here. You did say "particularily"..so you must have more. We don't discourage criticism..so feel free to continue to say what else you don't understand.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » August 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm

I like you a lot, CBB. I'm just sad that, a year after this mostly manufactured conflict should be a forgotten non-issue, there's still like some sort of war mentality happening. The two sites have little to do with each other at this point. I understand that JBDuke is still a focal point, since he was in the middle of the late unpleasantness of April Fool's 09. But Evans? What did he ever do? What did anybody other than Jumbo or JBDuke do, for that matter? There are 20 mods over there.

And even then, in the supposedly offensive message, JBDuke was encouraging people in the LTN to contribute to threads that don't serve as a collector thread for smalltalk. What's so bad about that? He was nice.

I've barely read either site since BB season ended (I'm a busy lazy bad mod I guess), but I got stuff in my inbox about a new CT-DBR war. It's just sad to me.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 2nd, 2010, 11:13 pm

throatybeard wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:At the risk of saying something unpopular, I thought JBDuke's note was reasonable, and a decent gesture. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't just totally wiped the LTE from DBR entirely.

But I think folks here would agree that, yes, the remaining LTE crew is pretty insular (tons of inside jokes), a couple people have cracked in since CTN'ers left, but you know they haven't read through the whole damned thing. Yes, sometimes something of modest substance does get brought up in LTE. Yes, perhaps that's worth its own heading under the OTB. You may have noticed, the OTB is otherwise pretty freakin' boring these days.

I guess I interpreted his post as more along the lines of, "hey, we know you guys are still here, and you are an interesting bunch, so why don't you come out of the back room and hang with the rest of the bar?"
I particularly don't understand the nasty, naked attacks on Jason Evans, who has never been anything but cordial with anyone.
CB&B got it right. I have no ill feelings whatsoever toward Jason Evans, but it's fun to rag on his signatures.

You can also put me in the camp of people who weren't terribly offended by JBDuke's note. I tend to not visit the DBR boards as much now as I used to because the boards here are more fun. I do look at some of the threads on the EK Forum on occasion; unfortunately, the few voices of reason are starting to be drowned out by lots of garbage. In other words, I tend to lurk because I often don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said about 200 times. The fun off-topic stuff is definitely here. I do try to visit the LTE on occasion.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 11:14 pm

throatybeard wrote:I like you a lot, CBB. I'm just sad that, a year after this mostly manufactured conflict should be a forgotten non-issue, there's still like some sort of war mentality happening. The two sites have little to do with each other at this point. I understand that JBDuke is still a focal point, since he was in the middle of the late unpleasantness of April Fool's 09. But Evans? What did he ever do? What did anybody other than Jumbo or JBDuke do, for that matter? There are 20 mods over there.

I've barely read either site since BB season ended (I'm a busy lazy bad mod I guess), but I got stuff in my inbox about a new CT-DBR war. It's just sad to me.
This thread wasn't about any conflict...it was started by me to address the new layout and the new point system. Those points were also brought up by me over there, it's not like we are hiding anything. The majority of this thread is pretty jovial, poking fun at what's happened and making fun of the reputation stuff. If you also notice, we have a Happy Birthday DBR thread as well.
Duke2014
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Duke2014 » August 2nd, 2010, 11:15 pm

As I mentioned in my introduction, I have been lurking on DBR for a long time. I think they have grown exponentially in population, but have lost many of the original quality posters, many of whom are now here. The site owners realize that they are running the risk of becoming just another generic, overpopulated bulletin board. To try and counter that trend, (as I read it), JB is trying to get you guys to reintegrate yourself into the rest of the board.

DBR isn't what it used to be; not by a long shot. It has deteriorated a lot in the last few years, and it has only been exacerbated by the formation of CTN. If the original posters become fulltime here and stop posting over there entirely, DBR loses what made it special to begin with and what (used to) separate it from, oh, for example ESPN boards. I know that is a hyperbole, but that is the general idea IMO.

Just my $0.02. As a young lurker, I remember many of you consistently posting and giving DBR a very "homey" feel. That sentiment is all but gone now, and JB (and the rest of those in charge over there) realize that.

Not saying they are scared, but it certainly sounds like there is some nervousness setting in OY.

Again, just my $0.02 :)
Last edited by Duke2014 on August 2nd, 2010, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Duke2014
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 2nd, 2010, 11:16 pm

throatybeard wrote:I like you a lot, CBB. I'm just sad that, a year after this mostly manufactured conflict should be a forgotten non-issue, there's still like some sort of war mentality happening. The two sites have little to do with each other at this point. I understand that JBDuke is still a focal point, since he was in the middle of the late unpleasantness of April Fool's 09. But Evans? What did he ever do? What did anybody other than Jumbo or JBDuke do, for that matter? There are 20 mods over there.

And even then, in the supposedly offensive message, JBDuke was encouraging people in the LTN to contribute to threads that don't serve as a collector thread for smalltalk. What's so bad about that? He was nice.

There's no war as far as I'm concerned. Can't answer for anyone else. We've been having fun with reputation points and pitchforks, but I don't view that as a war. YMMV
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » August 2nd, 2010, 11:23 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
throatybeard wrote: If you also notice, we have a Happy Birthday DBR thread as well.
I didn't, since it was on page two and had 12 posts instead of nearly 400 like this thread, but now that I've read it, it has a lot of nastiness directed at DBR in it. Oh well. Sad, like I said. I wish people could get along.

(Though, I don't deny that there's a signal-to-noise ratio in the EKB at DBR).
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:08 am

throatybeard wrote:

I disagree.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » August 3rd, 2010, 12:20 am

throatybeard wrote:I like you a lot, CBB. I'm just sad that, a year after this mostly manufactured conflict should be a forgotten non-issue, there's still like some sort of war mentality happening. ....but I got stuff in my inbox about a new CT-DBR war. It's just sad to me.
War? I don't know about that. I'm aware of some friendly poking and language that may come out of a healthy rivalry, but war? That seems a bit strong. I will note, however, that I found it odd that in JBDuke's message, he used the term, "...it's been mostly cordial."

I guess it depends on your definition of the term, but after reading that, I was thinking, "Well no shit. When has it NOT been cordial." In other words, JBDuke kind of opened Pandora's box, even using my name. Why? Have you told him that "all should be forgotten?" That's not a jab; it's an honest question. He kind of threw some gas on the fire, even if it wasn't done with vitrol.

I for one, enjoy the healthy picking and yes, even some teasing and name calling, so long as it doesn't cross a line (e.g., "Jumbo is a f*cking dickhead.").

I just consider it to be something like a fun rivalry.

Peace brothers. PEACE!

-EarlJam

P.S. I distinctly remember back during the basketball season when someone attacked DBR pretty harshly. I remember one of our members posting in reply, something to the effect of, "Hey, watch it buddy. They may be OY, but they are family. Let's not have the right hand stealing from the left (or however that saying goes). It CAN be a healthy rivalry if some will LIGHTEN UP!
Last edited by EarlJam on August 3rd, 2010, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2010, 12:25 am

Can't wait to tune in tomorrow and see what transpires here tonight, if anything further, and throughout the day tomorrow. Our highly paid mods may need one of these by noon or suppertime tomorrow:

:angry-extinguishflame:

=)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:30 am

throatybeard wrote:
throatybeard wrote: If you also notice, we have a Happy Birthday DBR thread as well.
I didn't, since it was on page two and had 12 posts instead of nearly 400 like this thread, but now that I've read it, it has a lot of nastiness directed at DBR in it. Oh well. Sad, like I said. I wish people could get along.

(Though, I don't deny that there's a signal-to-noise ratio in the EKB at DBR).

A lot of nastiness? What thread were you reading? The only comments in that thread were in reference to the mods OY with whom many of us here have a legitimate beef. Believe me, we don't spend our time talking about that place. When it is relevant, such as on a birthday, it is brought up but that is the extent of it. And when it is brought up those of us who have a beef will sometimes express it, as is our right. It is up to us what we talk about here and our mods do a great job of keeping this the kind of place we all want to frequent. Our mods don't pay lip service to it the way they do over yonder, here they practice what they preach. We've all got history with that place and that history brought us all together - it is part of our shared life experience. Some of us have a particularly unpleasant history with that site and if we want to make reference to that we're free to do so especially as that unpleasantness led directly to the creation of this place and the development of friendships that mean a lot to us. In the end, it is entirely up to us what we discuss and what inside jokes we share. Anyone who doesn't like it is free say so but I find it a little odd that the only time you ever post over here is to chastise us. Apparently you don't seem to realize that that is exactly what we disliked about OY and that, although you could do that over there, you most certainly can't do it here.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2010, 12:35 am

devildeac wrote:Can't wait to tune in tomorrow and see what transpires here tonight, if anything further, and throughout the day tomorrow. Our highly paid mods may need one of these by noon or suppertime tomorrow:

I've emailed the three mods to keep an eye on this thread. Right now nothing is being deleted, but once again remember that if any posts become too inflamatory or attacking they have some decisions to make. This discussion is a healthy one to have..but if you contribute to it double check to make sure your words are not a direct attack at anyone else. Colchar's above response is a perfect example..well thought out criticsm with out resorting to name calling. He gets a spork.

:spork:
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 3rd, 2010, 12:37 am

colchar wrote:
A lot of nastiness? What thread were you reading? The only comments in that thread were in reference to the mods OY with whom many of us here have a legitimate beef. Believe me, we don't spend our time talking about that place. When it is relevant, such as on a birthday, it is brought up but that is the extent of it. And when it is brought up those of us who have a beef will sometimes express it, as is our right. It is up to us what we talk about here and our mods do a great job of keeping this the kind of place we all want to frequent. Our mods don't pay lip service to it the way they do over yonder, here they practice what they preach. We've all got history with that place and that history brought us all together - it is part of our shared life experience. Some of us have a particularly unpleasant history with that site and if we want to make reference to that we're free to do so especially as that unpleasantness led directly to the creation of this place and the development of friendships that mean a lot to us. In the end, it is entirely up to us what we discuss and what inside jokes we share. Anyone who doesn't like it is free say so but I find it a little odd that the only time you ever post over here is to chastise us. Apparently you don't seem to realize that that is exactly what we disliked about OY and that, although you could do that over there, you most certainly can't do it here.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

:-BD :-BD :-BD

-EarlJam
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:40 am

devildeac wrote:Can't wait to tune in tomorrow and see what transpires here tonight, if anything further, and throughout the day tomorrow. Our highly paid mods may need one of these by noon or suppertime tomorrow:

I've emailed the three mods to keep an eye on this thread. Right now nothing is being deleted, but once again remember that if any posts become too inflamatory or attacking they have some decisions to make. This discussion is a healthy one to have..but if you contribute to it double check to make sure your words are not a direct attack at anyone else. Colchar's above response is a perfect example..well thought out criticsm with out resorting to name calling. He gets a spork.

Personally, and just for shits and giggles, I think Lavabe should be made to do some work rather than just lazing around in the Lay-Z-Boy like the rest of us did when we were mods. I think I'm gonna start a flame war for the sole purpose of making him do some work.In that spirit I'd just like to announce that all of your favourite bands suck.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:42 am

And EarlJam can go :spork: himself ;)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 3rd, 2010, 12:43 am

THIS, by the way (the above post by CB&B) speaks for itself. It is texbook quality MOD material. In essence, it is an "alert." CB&B did NOT give us a "Warning." He did not threaten to "Ban" anyone. He did not conclude by writing/threatening, "You have been warned!" He simply stated a legitimate concern and had/has the insight to know and trust members here know what to do with it.

Good job CB&B...............seriously. Knowingly or unknowingly, you just made the case for what makes this site so great.

-EarlJam
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2010, 12:44 am

And I'm determined to make CB&B do this :face desk: for the rest of the night.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------