Breaking Down Elon (1 of 12)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Breaking Down Elon (1 of 12)

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 2nd, 2010, 12:53 pm

I will be starting this thread with 2 purposes. To pass time before the season starts, and breaking down Duke's opponenets this year day by day. First I will break down the Elon Phoenix and will continue by breaking down each of Duke's other 11 opponents every 3rd day. That will make my last post, (the breakdown of UNC,) the night before Duke's opener against Elon. So here it is...

Week 1: Elon

All of us Duke fans must not overlook Elon like we might have Richmond last year. Elon is a very strong team, and I know we all can remember sitting in a dead silent Wallace-Wade last year watching our beloved Blue Devils being handled by a Division 2 opponent. If we want to change that outcome this year, Duke's new defense will have to slow down the best player in the Southern Conference Scott Riddle.

Scott Riddle is the Quarterback for the Elon Phoenix. This will be his senior season and he has started at QB all three years to date. He had a great year last year, even better than our own Thaddeus Lewis. Riddle threw for 3,345 yards and 23 touchdowns. This man also threw for 31 touchdowns his Freshman year. Riddle is a great QB, but in the two biggest games of the season last year against Wake Forest and App State he threw a total of 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions. He is the preseason Southern Conference offensive player of the year, and is a great QB. He will not hurt us or anybody for that matter with his feet. Riddle ran for a total of -1 yards and 3 touchdowns last year, yes it's possible. He is definitly not a scrambling QB. Luckily he has lost his go to guy in Terrell Hudgins. Hudgins was one of the best WR's in the country last year. Terrell caught a record setting 16 touchdowns last year and also had a total of 1633 recieving yards. That is 8 more touchdowns and 600 more yards than our Donovan Varner had last year. Hudgins has since graduated, and is currently in training camp with the Dallas Cowboys. Lance Camp will be the man that will try to replace Hudgins this year. Camp had 600 recieving yards last year, and could be a serious threat this year. Sean Jeffcoat will also catch many passes from Riddle this year. The offensive line has lost some talent, and it will be interesting to see how it handles the change. Thye do have one preseason all-conference offensive lineman, but they did lose some guys.

The Running game will be strong as well this year. Jamal Shuman will lead the charge this year at Running back. Shuman is another great example that great things come in small packages. Shuman stands at a strong 5'7 but has run one of the fastest 40 times ever. Shuman ran a 4.2 40 yard dash before his freshman year at Elon. He ran for 700 yards last year and 3 touchdowns in a pass heavy offense.

The Elon Phoenix defense will be very strong as well. The defense has 5 preseason all-conference players, and they are returning their leading defensive man. Junior LB Josh Jones was Elon’s best defensive player last year and will be looking to impress a lot of people this year as an upperclassman. The Phoenix also have one of the best defensive linemen in the conference. Senior Brandon Ward is a preseason 1st team all-conference selection and had 5.5 sacks in 2009. Defensive tackle Jordan Gibson and defensive back Terrell Wilson will fill out the defense for the Phoenix. Wilson is a very strong defensive back, but the defense will be losing a couple of their starting defensive backs so this should be where Duke takes advantage of Elon with the many WR’s that Duke has. Elon is good, but they are good for a Division 2 team.

The kicking game is also very strong for Elon this year. Sophomore Adam Shreiner is the kicker for this team and he is very good. Shreiner was 17-23 with a long of 43 last year as a freshman and will look to have a better year this year. He is famous for kicking a 58 yard field goal in high school on local TV. You can see the kick on YouTube. In a weird scenario Quarterback Scott Riddle is also the starting punter for this team. I have never seen that before, but he is a very good punter. He averaged about 40 yards per punt, and never had a punt blocked. This kid is also a baseball player at Elon. I think he is planning on running for president in 2012 as well. So as you can see, the kicking game is strong as well as the offense and defense.

This will be the 5th season for Elon’s head coach Pat Lembo. He came from Elon after being the head coach at Lehigh University. In 2009 Elon finished 9-3 and earned their first ever FCS Playoff birth.

This is a good Elon team from top to bottom. This is probably the best team they have ever had under Coach Pat Lembo. I think Duke will win this game, but I think it will be a struggle like last year’s opener. Elon is picked to finish ahead of Richmond this year in the SoCon, and right behind #1 Appalachian State.

I think Riddle will have a very good game against Duke, and I think it will take a little time for Duke to figure out Elon’s defense. It will also take a little bit of time for us fans to realize that Thad Lewis isn’t throwing the ball for our team. We have some lockdown defensive guys like Matt Daniels, Chris Rwabukamba, and A.B Kromah. Duke’s defense will slow down the high powered offense of Elon and it should be a close game headed into halftime. I expect Duke to come out strong in the second half and send a strong message. By the powerful running of Desmond Scott and Jay Hollingsworth Duke should be able to confuse the defense of Elon. Elon will play well, but not well enough to knock off Duke.

Duke 24

Elon 16
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Breaking Down Elon (1 of 12)

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 2nd, 2010, 1:13 pm

You've written a thorough, well reasoned summary about Elon and what we might see come September 4.

The fact that Duke has some new starters certainly can be seen by some as a source of concern about inexperience, but I see it as a positive factor. Our inexperienced players will be unknowns for Elon in their preparation for this game. Each wave of inexperienced players at Duke also brings in more talented, more athletic players than we've had in the past.

In terms of preparation and tactics for maximizing our offense while derailing the opposing team, Coach Cutcliffe is a master.

I can't wait to see the inexperienced turn into game veterans!

GO DUKE!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 2nd, 2010, 1:34 pm

Thank you for the thread wolfpackdevil. A welcome addition for the football category. :duke: I do not find the thread "unnecessary" :ymdevil:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 3:00 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:I will be starting this thread with 2 purposes. To pass time before the season starts, and breaking down Duke's opponenets this year day by day. First I will break down the Elon Phoenix and will continue by breaking down each of Duke's other 11 opponents every 3rd day. That will make my last post, (the breakdown of UNC,) the night before Duke's opener against Elon. So here it is...

All of us Duke fans must not overlook Elon like we might have Richmond last year. Elon is a very strong team, and I know we all can remember sitting in a dead silent Wallace-Wade last year watching our beloved Blue Devils being handled by a Division 2 opponent. If we want to change that outcome this year, Duke's new defense will have to slow down the best player in the Southern Conference Scott Riddle.

Scott Riddle is the Quarterback for the Elon Phoenix. This will be his senior season and he has started at QB all three years to date. He had a great year last year, even better than our own Thaddeus Lewis. Riddle threw for 3,345 yards and 23 touchdowns. This man also threw for 31 touchdowns his Freshman year. Riddle is a great QB, but in the two biggest games of the season last year against Wake Forest and App State he threw a total of 1 touchdown and 4 interceptions. He is the preseason Southern Conference offensive player of the year, and is a great QB. He will not hurt us or anybody for that matter with his feet. Riddle ran for a total of -1 yards and 3 touchdowns last year, yes it's possible. He is definitly not a scrambling QB. Luckily he has lost his go to guy in Terrell Hudgins. Hudgins was one of the best WR's in the country last year. Terrell caught a record setting 16 touchdowns last year and also had a total of 1633 recieving yards. That is 8 more touchdowns and 600 more yards than our Donovan Varner had last year. Hudgins has since graduated, and is currently in training camp with the Dallas Cowboys. Lance Camp will be the man that will try to replace Hudgins this year. Camp had 600 recieving yards last year, and could be a serious threat this year. Sean Jeffcoat will also catch many passes from Riddle this year. The offensive line has lost some talent, and it will be interesting to see how it handles the change. Thye do have one preseason all-conference offensive lineman, but they did lose some guys.

The Running game will be strong as well this year. Jamal Shuman will lead the charge this year at Running back. Shuman is another great example that great things come in small packages. Shuman stands at a strong 5'7 but has run one of the fastest 40 times ever. Shuman ran a 4.2 40 yard dash before his freshman year at Elon. He ran for 700 yards last year and 3 touchdowns in a pass heavy offense.

The Elon Phoenix defense will be very strong as well. The defense has 5 preseason all-conference players, and they are returning their leading defensive man. Junior LB Josh Jones was Elon’s best defensive player last year and will be looking to impress a lot of people this year as an upperclassman. The Phoenix also have one of the best defensive linemen in the conference. Senior Brandon Ward is a preseason 1st team all-conference selection and had 5.5 sacks in 2009. Defensive tackle Jordan Gibson and defensive back Terrell Wilson will fill out the defense for the Phoenix. Wilson is a very strong defensive back, but the defense will be losing a couple of their starting defensive backs so this should be where Duke takes advantage of Elon with the many WR’s that Duke has. Elon is good, but they are good for a Division 2 team.

The kicking game is also very strong for Elon this year. Sophomore Adam Shreiner is the kicker for this team and he is very good. Shreiner was 17-23 with a long of 43 last year as a freshman and will look to have a better year this year. He is famous for kicking a 58 yard field goal in high school on local TV. You can see the kick on YouTube. In a weird scenario Quarterback Scott Riddle is also the starting punter for this team. I have never seen that before, but he is a very good punter. He averaged about 40 yards per punt, and never had a punt blocked. This kid is also a baseball player at Elon. I think he is planning on running for president in 2012 as well. So as you can see, the kicking game is strong as well as the offense and defense.

This will be the 5th season for Elon’s head coach Pat Lembo. He came from Elon after being the head coach at Lehigh University. In 2009 Elon finished 9-3 and earned their first ever FCS Playoff birth.

This is a good Elon team from top to bottom. This is probably the best team they have ever had under Coach Pat Lembo. I think Duke will win this game, but I think it will be a struggle like last year’s opener. Elon is picked to finish ahead of Richmond this year in the SoCon, and right behind #1 Appalachian State.

I think Riddle will have a very good game against Duke, and I think it will take a little time for Duke to figure out Elon’s defense. It will also take a little bit of time for us fans to realize that Thad Lewis isn’t throwing the ball for our team. We have some lockdown defensive guys like Matt Daniels, Chris Rwabukamba, and A.B Kromah. Duke’s defense will slow down the high powered offense of Elon and it should be a close game headed into halftime. I expect Duke to come out strong in the second half and send a strong message. By the powerful running of Desmond Scott and Jay Hollingsworth Duke should be able to confuse the defense of Elon. Elon will play well, but not well enough to knock off Duke.

Duke 24

Elon 16
This is just awesome. Thanks.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 3:03 pm

devildeac wrote: This is just awesome. Thanks.
Wolfpackdevil has agreed to do some posting on the front page as we lead up to and during the season. Once I get him set up there, keep an eye out for his additions. :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Duke2014
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Duke2014 » August 2nd, 2010, 4:19 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: This is just awesome. Thanks.
Wolfpackdevil has agreed to do some posting on the front page as we lead up to and during the season. Once I get him set up there, keep an eye out for his additions. :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: Awesome!
~Duke2014
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 2nd, 2010, 6:53 pm

This is terrific. Thanks WolfpackDevil! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 2nd, 2010, 6:55 pm

Great post, WolfpackDevil. Thanks! :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 3rd, 2010, 6:28 am

Fine report! Looking forward to the others. :happy-bouncyblue:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 3rd, 2010, 5:49 pm

I will be posting the rest of my team breakdowns on the front page of crazietalk.

The second game for Duke this year will be at Wake Forest, their team breakdown will be posted Thursday. Check it out when I post it ! :happy-bouncyblue:
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 3rd, 2010, 7:55 pm

Thanks! I'm not going to change my screen name, but I could be "PhoenixDevil" given that I have degrees from both schools. I'll probably wear an Elon tee shirt and a Duke hat that day. Regardless, GO DEVILS!!! I was a Duke fan long before I ever heard of Elon :happy-bouncyblue:
Robert Sharpe

Post by Robert Sharpe » August 3rd, 2010, 8:55 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:I will be starting this thread with 2 purposes. To pass time before the season starts, and breaking down Duke's opponenets this year day by day. First I will break down the Elon Phoenix and will continue by breaking down each of Duke's other 11 opponents every 3rd day. That will make my last post, (the breakdown of UNC,) the night before Duke's opener against Elon. So here it is...

Duke 24

Elon 16
I really like you man you are like me you have a passion for Duke Football, by the way I like the Old Duke Football Helmet! :-BD
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2010, 8:57 pm

Robert Sharpe wrote: I really like you man you are like me you have a passion for Duke Football, by the way I like the Old Duke Football Helmet! :-BD
You will find we all have a passion for football..stay tuned during the season for both away and home games..our chat room is active. If you make it to the games, be sure to stop by the Brunchgate.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Robert Sharpe

Post by Robert Sharpe » August 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:I will be posting the rest of my team breakdowns on the front page of crazietalk.

The second game for Duke this year will be at Wake Forest, their team breakdown will be posted Thursday. Check it out when I post it ! :happy-bouncyblue:
Hey Wolfpack Devil my name is Robert and I just joined. I enjoyed reading your post about the Elon Game! Was wondering if I could get involved and help out there? Just a thought, think about it and let me know thanks for the reports and GO DUKE! :D
Robert Sharpe

Post by Robert Sharpe » August 3rd, 2010, 8:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Robert Sharpe wrote: I really like you man you are like me you have a passion for Duke Football, by the way I like the Old Duke Football Helmet! :-BD
You will find we all have a passion for football..stay tuned during the season for both away and home games..our chat room is active. If you make it to the games, be sure to stop by the Brunchgate.
I will definitely stop by Labor Day weekend looking foward to it GO DUKE!