Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Left Hand Double Sawtooth Chainsaw Ale...via a shopping trip from DD kindly delivered to the coast. I've done a good job of hanging on to this bomber, I had the first half two nights ago, and am now enjoying the second.
This is a really rich bottle conditioned ale with a taste that caught me off guard..toasted malts mix well caramel tones, the color is a deep gold. This is a thick beer, not too hoppy so the malts carry the weight. The hops accent it well though, they offer a nice floral tone and tickle the tongue a bit. The caramel and slight citrus really make it, ABV is 9%. If you see it, it's a strong recommend. :-BD
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2010, 11:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Left Hand Double Sawtooth Chainsaw Ale...via a shopping trip from DD kindly delivered to the coast. I've done a good job of hanging on to this bomber, I had the first half two nights ago, and am now enjoying the second.
This is a really rich bottle conditioned ale with a taste that caught me off guard..toasted malts mix well caramel tones, the color is a deep gold. This is a thick beer, not too hoppy so the malts carry the weight. The hops accent it well though, they offer a nice floral tone and tickle the tongue a bit. The caramel and slight citrus really make it, ABV is 9%. If you see it, it's a strong recommend. :-BD
Dang. I had my bottle over a couple nights about 2 weeks ago and thought I had reviewed it. :facepalm3: :bag:

Not much to add. Very enjoyable ale.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 30th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Why on EARTH is this on page 2?

FWIW, Three Horses Beer tastes VERY skunky in Antsiranana. On the other hand, it's FANTASTIC when kept in the cool confines of the capital city, Antananarivo. :ymparty:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 30th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Still celebrating :D :

Devil Dancer-Founders Brewing

Saw this for the 1st time a couple weeks ago and remember bluebeer (or was it rmd?) mentioning it at some point but never was able to find it until now. This is described as a triple IPA or IIIPA, I guess. Lots of piney/herbal hops with a bit of citrus and a bit of the malty sweetness of a barleywine, but, make no mistake about it, the IBU of 112 (no typo!) and the ABV of 12% scream bitterness at your palate from the 1st taste to the last drop. Not for the faint-tongued but, if sipped as an after dinner drink (would also pair nicely with spicy dishes) from a wine/brandy glass at cellar temperature, it is a very enjoyable ale. I think CB&B has one of these and my son has the 3rd. The 4th will be cellared until at least this fall but I'm gonna try and "hide" this with some old 120 Minute IPA, Samichlaus and Bigfoot and wait at least a year before having the last member of the $20 ( :(( ) four pack. If you can procure some, it's worth the few extra $$ to have one now and then trade/age the remainder.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 30th, 2010, 9:39 pm

devildeac wrote: I think CB&B has one of these and my son has the 3rd.
I do indeed! It keeps beckoning me from the fridge, but so far I've resisted...it seems to be one of those beers to save for a really good day.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 30th, 2010, 9:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: I think CB&B has one of these and my son has the 3rd.
I do indeed! It keeps beckoning me from the fridge, but so far I've resisted...it seems to be one of those beers to save for a really good day.
That it is. That's why I started my post with "still celebrating" and still reflecting on the NC. After all, who wouldn't with a beer named Devil Dancer :D .
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » July 30th, 2010, 10:52 pm

devildeac wrote:Still celebrating :D :

Devil Dancer-Founders Brewing

Saw this for the 1st time a couple weeks ago and remember bluebeer (or was it rmd?) mentioning it at some point but never was able to find it until now. This is described as a triple IPA or IIIPA, I guess. Lots of piney/herbal hops with a bit of citrus and a bit of the malty sweetness of a barleywine, but, make no mistake about it, the IBU of 112 (no typo!) and the ABV of 12% scream bitterness at your palate from the 1st taste to the last drop. Not for the faint-tongued but, if sipped as an after dinner drink (would also pair nicely with spicy dishes) from a wine/brandy glass at cellar temperature, it is a very enjoyable ale. I think CB&B has one of these and my son has the 3rd. The 4th will be cellared until at least this fall but I'm gonna try and "hide" this with some old 120 Minute IPA, Samichlaus and Bigfoot and wait at least a year before having the last member of the $20 ( :(( ) four pack. If you can procure some, it's worth the few extra $$ to have one now and then trade/age the remainder.
That's a very good beer and super potent..I only grabbed one of these this year which has already been consumed but maybe I'll try to track down another to age a bit...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 8:50 pm

Tandem-Pike Brewing Company

New brew from a company I have never seen distributed back east but have sampled many a brew by them while visiting the left coast over the last 20+ years.

This was a bomber of a double ale. I was a bit puzzled with the label but after pouring this dark chocolate colored ale last PM, I realized they did not use the usual Belgian spelling for the style (dubbel/dubble). All your usual flavors of dark dried fruits and brown sugar but with a twist. They list coriander as an ingredient, which is commonly used in white/wheat/single/trippel styles and not in the Belgian brown ales. IBU are low at 25 and the ABV is moderate at 7% so I splurged and quaffed this bottle over a couple hours last evening. Anyone want me to make a trip to TW this week to pick up a bomber or two of this $4 brew ;) :D ?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2010, 9:12 pm

devildeac wrote: Anyone want me to make a trip to TW this week to pick up a bomber or two of this $4 brew ;) :D ?
me me me
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 9:14 pm

devildeac wrote: Anyone want me to make a trip to TW this week to pick up a bomber or two of this $4 brew ;) :D ?
me me me
Why am I not surprised :ymsmug: ?

I'll plan on 2-3 other Pike bombers in that price range, too. Tonight I will sample the Kilt Lifter Scotch style ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 7:44 am

Kilt Lifter-Pike Brewing Company

And no, Ozzie, I am not talking about some Scottish peeping Tom. This is a Scotch style ale, which means typically medium brown, clear and lotsa toffee, milk chocolate and brown sugar flavors from the 4 or 5 different types of malts used, including a smoked malt which gives this style of brew just a bit of a peat-y taste. IBU low at 27 and the ABV was 6.5% so I just found myself sipping on this bomber for almost 2 hours before not posting in the Official Good Night thread :D . This would be tasty with stews, Miles' chili or ribs. I think I'll add this $4 bomber to the list for CB&B for next month's travel and trade trip to the coast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 9:40 am

Duck-Rabbator last PM. Review at 11. Or sooner.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 9:52 am

devildeac wrote:Duck-Rabbator last PM. Review at 11. Or sooner.
I had that too. :-BD
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 3rd, 2010, 12:26 pm

Is it a good year for Schlafly Raspberry Wheat?

Is it a good year for the Wheach?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 3rd, 2010, 12:26 pm

August 28th, Louisville Zoo: Brew at the Zoo.

Will be there.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Lavabe wrote:August 28th, Louisville Zoo: Brew at the Zoo.

Will be there.
Go thirsty. Go with a group. Have a DD (that's designated driver. I am not available :( ). Drink lots of water. Eat lots of snacks/food. Take copious quantities of notes. Provide lots of posts.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Duck-Rabbator

If you can't figure out the brewer then you don't belong on this thread ;) .
A classic double bock beer in the lager style. Medium to dark brown in color and with a small head that doesn't linger very long. A very clean brew in that it is not cloudy and not bottle conditioned. This is very rich with dark caramel, milk chocolate and toffee flavors from the large quantities of malts used. Duck-Rabbit doesn't even have their high gravity beers on their web site so I don't know the IBU but I'd bet low, as in the 25 range. The ABV is 8.5% so it is not your typical session beer. Almost too sweet but I really enjoy this style of beer. You could have this with any smoked or BBQ meats or have it as a dessert beverage, maybe even with a snicker doodle cookie or 7 Layer Bars, I was gonna trade 2 of these tomorrow but I removed one from my trader 6 pack and replaced it with a Mama's Little Pils so I could have another one of these tonight. This is a completely new brew to me and I'd buy another 6er if I can find it again next year.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 4th, 2010, 10:24 pm

devildeac wrote:Duck-Rabbator

A classic double bock beer in the lager style. Medium to dark brown in color and with a small head that doesn't linger very long. A very clean brew in that it is not cloudy and not bottle conditioned. This is very rich with dark caramel, milk chocolate and toffee flavors from the large quantities of malts used. Duck-Rabbit doesn't even have their high gravity beers on their web site so I don't know the IBU but I'd bet low, as in the 25 range. The ABV is 8.5% so it is not your typical session beer. Almost too sweet but I really enjoy this style of beer. You could have this with any smoked or BBQ meats or have it as a dessert beverage, maybe even with a snicker doodle cookie or 7 Layer Bars, I was gonna trade 2 of these tomorrow but I removed one from my trader 6 pack and replaced it with a Mama's Little Pils so I could have another one of these tonight. This is a completely new brew to me and I'd buy another 6er if I can find it again next year.
Totally agree...even though it is from one of my favorite brewers, I had low expectations since it's a lager. I'm happy to say my fears were totally unfounded..I'll buy this again in 2 seconds when I see it again.

P.S. Congrats on your promotion!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Totally agree...even though it is from one of my favorite brewers, I had low expectations since it's a lager. I'm happy to say my fears were totally unfounded..I'll buy this again in 2 seconds when I see it again.

Hell, I wasn't even paying attention. Seriously. You sneaked that one in there. I figgered there would be a promotion at #8000.
But, I'm not sure ANYONE on this board, or any Duke board, wants to be a "Dean" of anything.

:)) =))

Couldn't I be Chairman of the Department or Provost or Chancellor? But Dean?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 4th, 2010, 10:54 pm

devildeac wrote:

Hell, I wasn't even paying attention. Seriously. You sneaked that one in there. I figgered there would be a promotion at #8000.
But, I'm not sure ANYONE on this board, or any Duke board, wants to be a "Dean" of anything.

:)) =))

Couldn't I be Chairman of the Department or Provost or Chancellor? But Dean?
=)) =)) =)) ..We'll have to think about that. I was following the progression outlined by Lavabe eons ago.