Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » July 19th, 2010, 12:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:So, no beer traders/purchase for you, CB&B X( .
X(
The brown ale sounds tasty, I don't think I've seen or heard of Legend.
That does sound good..I've never heard of legend either..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 19th, 2010, 12:56 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, here's the push to 1000 posts on this thread.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale-This really fine IPA that I had never had before (shame on me :( ) started our Brunchgate tasting/trading session yesterday. All the usual characteristics of a solid IPA with a yellow-golden color, modest head and a great scent and taste of citrus and pine from a small variety of hops, including Simcoe and Amarillo, IIRC. Good balance with the maltiness with a fairly standard ABV of 7% and an estimated IBU of 70-80. Shared with CB&B (the importance of that declaration becomes very important as the morning, afternoon and evening proceeded) and brought to the festivities by dpslaw in his 1st visit this year. An excellent choice.
I've had an incredibly successful few weeks at stocking my fridge with beers that I've yet to try thanks to my sister's trip to VA and a good haul on my own..unfortunately, a very late wisdom tooth removal have shelved my tastings for the time being...

Pre-extraction, however, I did get to sample Bell's Two Hearted Ale--Great review above by DD..an exceedingly well balanced IPA..not overly bitter despite some tasty hops..crisp and very drinkable..Looking forward to enjoying the remaining 5 that were brought back from VA...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2010, 10:29 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:OK, here's the push to 1000 posts on this thread.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale-This really fine IPA that I had never had before (shame on me :( ) started our Brunchgate tasting/trading session yesterday. All the usual characteristics of a solid IPA with a yellow-golden color, modest head and a great scent and taste of citrus and pine from a small variety of hops, including Simcoe and Amarillo, IIRC. Good balance with the maltiness with a fairly standard ABV of 7% and an estimated IBU of 70-80. Shared with CB&B (the importance of that declaration becomes very important as the morning, afternoon and evening proceeded) and brought to the festivities by dpslaw in his 1st visit this year. An excellent choice.
I've had an incredibly successful few weeks at stocking my fridge with beers that I've yet to try thanks to my sister's trip to VA and a good haul on my own..unfortunately, a very late wisdom tooth removal have shelved my tastings for the time being...

Pre-extraction, however, I did get to sample Bell's Two Hearted Ale--Great review above by DD..an exceedingly well balanced IPA..not overly bitter despite some tasty hops..crisp and very drinkable..Looking forward to enjoying the remaining 5 that were brought back from VA...
Heh-heh. That was a review from one of our Brunchgates last fall as it pre-dated post #1000 here. And look where we are now ^:)^ :ymapplause:

We just returned from a weekend in Richmond and the store I used to visit is no longer open so I returned empty handed.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Small Batch-471-Breckenridge

It's great when the brewer's list all their stats and ingredients on their site:

Beer Style: Double IPA (India Pale Ale)
Flavor: Big sweet mouthfeel balanced by aggressive hoppiness
Yeast: British Ale Yeast
Malts: Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils, Torrified Wehat
Hops: Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, Fuggles
Color: Copper
Bitterness Units: 70
Alcohol By Volume: 9.2%
Availability*: Year round, in limited quantities.

I'm guessing that the last malt listed should be wheat. And I'd be astounded if they made 2 typos and meant terrified ;) :D .

I'm gonna guess I haven't had this in a couple years and received it as a trader last week from one of the reps who calls on me. This is really quite an enjoyable brew with piney/resinous hops and plenty of malty sweetness (caramel comes to mind) for balance. I would have thought the IBU a bit higher but there are no downsides to this ale. I'd serve this with dishes with a bit of spice, whether it be chiles or curry or peppery entrees. I have one more. Should it go to the coast for trading with CB&B or to DC for our son... :-?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 19th, 2010, 11:53 pm

devildeac wrote: Should it go to the coast for trading with CB&B or to DC for our son... :-?
Helllloooooooo!!!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 23rd, 2010, 2:27 am

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 23rd, 2010, 7:00 am

DevilAlumna wrote:http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=341

That is all.
"Ewww, this beer tastes so squirrelly."

"Oh, just GOPHER it."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 23rd, 2010, 8:09 am

That is all.
At least it's not pouring from his peter... =)) I guess you could literally put a "stopcock" on the squirrel! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 23rd, 2010, 8:29 am

I must own a beer squirrel.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 23rd, 2010, 3:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I must own a beer squirrel.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38376048

This can be yours for the measly price of $765 a bottle!
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 23rd, 2010, 4:36 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

I must win the lottery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2010, 5:03 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

I'd rather have a Sam Adams Millenium or Utopia. :(( :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2010, 5:04 pm

CathyCA wrote:

That is all.
"Ewww, this beer tastes so squirrelly."

"Oh, just GOPHER it."
Rodent you mind sharing with me, too.
mph
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by mph » July 26th, 2010, 6:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I picked up 3 traders for dd that I matched for myself, only because I hadn't had them before. The first one for me was New Belgium's Ranger IPA.
Guess what they sell in our Walmart now?

New Belgium still isn't distributed in Virginia, although I here that might change shortly. I tried Ranger for the first time when I was down in Winston-Salem a few months ago and liked it alot. Some IPA's tend too much to the herbal/piney side for my taste, but I thought Ranger had a nice balance between grapefruit and pine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2010, 7:50 pm

mph wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I picked up 3 traders for dd that I matched for myself, only because I hadn't had them before. The first one for me was New Belgium's Ranger IPA.
Guess what they sell in our Walmart now?

New Belgium still isn't distributed in Virginia, although I here that might change shortly. I tried Ranger for the first time when I was down in Winston-Salem a few months ago and liked it alot. Some IPA's tend too much to the herbal/piney side for my taste, but I thought Ranger had a nice balance between grapefruit and pine.
Most excellent. Another hophead joins CTN. :D

I wish I could remember which IPAs were resinous/piney and which ones were more grapefruity. Guess you'll have to sample a bunch this summer and report back to us each week or so with your tastings (hint, hint ;) )
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 27th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Russian Imperial Stouts--Fight...I did a little taste test a few nights back with 2 new imperial stouts that my sister grabbed for me during her trip to VA..

First up was Bell's Expedition Stout--Pours nearly black with absolutely no head. Tastes like rich chocolate malts with hints of coffee. Almost no carbonation. I don't believe its barrel aged but it has a fairly strong sweet almost bourbony note. Very little bitterness. The alcohol bite is noticeable but overall this is a very smooth and almost creamy imperial stout. There are a lot of other imperial stouts that I would likely buy over this one but still very nice and I'm glad I have 5 more to enjoy. ABV-10.5%

Next came Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck. I had a few Duck Rabbit brews at a beerfest a few years back and really enjoyed them. Their RIS was new to me though. Pours a slightly lighter brown compared to the Expedition with a thin head. Again, lots of chocolate and coffee but a bit more of a roasted taste. Subtle hoppy bitterness with a Quad-like sour/dark fruit taste in the finish. A bit thinner than the Expedition but still appropriately heavy for the style. ABV-10%

Overall, I liked the Expedition a bit more though it was a fairly standard imperial stout. The Rabid duck was a bit more unique tasting and was a nice change of pace. Looking forward to seeing how both do with a little age..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2010, 3:50 pm

bluebeer wrote:Russian Imperial Stouts--Fight...I did a little taste test a few nights back with 2 new imperial stouts that my sister grabbed for me during her trip to VA..

First up was Bell's Expedition Stout--Pours nearly black with absolutely no head. Tastes like rich chocolate malts with hints of coffee. Almost no carbonation. I don't believe its barrel aged but it has a fairly strong sweet almost bourbony note. Very little bitterness. The alcohol bite is noticeable but overall this is a very smooth and almost creamy imperial stout. There are a lot of other imperial stouts that I would likely buy over this one but still very nice and I'm glad I have 5 more to enjoy. ABV-10.5%

Next came Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck. I had a few Duck Rabbit brews at a beerfest a few years back and really enjoyed them. Their RIS was new to me though. Pours a slightly lighter brown compared to the Expedition with a thin head. Again, lots of chocolate and coffee but a bit more of a roasted taste. Subtle hoppy bitterness with a Quad-like sour/dark fruit taste in the finish. A bit thinner than the Expedition but still appropriately heavy for the style. ABV-10%

Overall, I liked the Expedition a bit more though it was a fairly standard imperial stout. The Rabid duck was a bit more unique tasting and was a nice change of pace. Looking forward to seeing how both do with a little age..
I have had both of those but not for a couple years I'd bet. Like them both and would buy both again if/when I see them this fall/winter.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 27th, 2010, 3:57 pm

John Henry 3 Lick Spiker Ale--Cold Spring Brewery. I had never heard of this brewery until seeing this in the store..Billed as a strong ale aged in bourbon chips..As a big fan of bourbon aged beers, I was excited to try this. Pours a dark brow, nearly black. Hints of roasted coffee, chocolate, and oak balanced by piney hops. The bourbon is there but not nearly as strong as I expected. Overall, this was thinner and a lot more bland than I expected for such a big beer (9.1%ABV)...Not terrible but I likely won't buy again..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 27th, 2010, 3:58 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:Russian Imperial Stouts--Fight...I did a little taste test a few nights back with 2 new imperial stouts that my sister grabbed for me during her trip to VA..

I have had both of those but not for a couple years I'd bet. Like them both and would buy both again if/when I see them this fall/winter.
They are definitely both worth trying again if you see them..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 27th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Cisco Lady of the Woods---Cisco is a local brewery out on Nantucket but I've only had one of their beers before grabbing a few new ones at a store last week. This one is a barrel aged witbier with brett. Pours a hazy yellow from a corked and caged 750ml bottle. Big frothy head. Initial taste is sour with lots of lemon and spice. A fairly noticeable funky yeast kick with subtle oak notes. Finish is all witbier with a nice bready wheat flavor. Very easy drinking and great for a warm summer night. After trying a few, I'm not a huge fan of sour beers and this one is right on the edge but still very enjoyable..5% ABV...