Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Duke2014
I don't know what PWing is.

Hey Guys!

Post by Duke2014 » July 27th, 2010, 11:45 am

Hey everyone!

My dad and I have been reading (from what I see is now referred to as "Over Yonder") for a long time and sharing a username since circa 2000 (godukecom). This spring, I was accepted to Duke and made my own username to reflect that: Duke2014. :D

That other site has gotten really insufferable over the past year or so, and I have begun reading it less and less. What i once frequented daily became a monthly occurrence, and now I find that I don't even enjoy visiting, nor do I garner anything useful from it. The latest changes to the layout are the worst; now, I can't even try to read it without getting a headache. In a thread about the latest changes, Ozzie posted a link to this site. I had no idea CTN existed; now that I do I will probably never return to DBR.

Just wanted to say hello and let all of you know that I look forward to (assuming its okay with all of you regulars) adding my $0.02 as a Duke student starting in less than a month!
~Duke2014
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Hey Guys!

Post by lawgrad91 » July 27th, 2010, 11:47 am

Welcome, and congratulations on being a member of 2014. Drink appropriate libations for your age ;) , and enjoy hanging out with us.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Duke2014 wrote:Hey everyone!

My dad and I have been reading (from what I see is now referred to as "Over Yonder") for a long time and sharing a username since circa 2000 (godukecom). This spring, I was accepted to Duke and made my own username to reflect that: Duke2014. :D

That other site has gotten really insufferable over the past year or so, and I have begun reading it less and less. What i once frequented daily became a monthly occurrence, and now I find that I don't even enjoy visiting, nor do I garner anything useful from it. The latest changes to the layout are the worst; now, I can't even try to read it without getting a headache. In a thread about the latest changes, Ozzie posted a link to this site. I had no idea CTN existed; now that I do I will probably never return to DBR.

Just wanted to say hello and let all of you know that I look forward to (assuming its okay with all of you regulars) adding my $0.02 as a Duke student starting in less than a month!
Excellent. Welcome. You'll get a thread all your own shortly :D . PM Rolvix who is a member here and will be in the class of 2014 also.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 27th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Duke 2014, I'm on campus everyday (I work here). If you ever need anything feel free to PM me. Look forward to meeting you at brunchgates.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Duke2014

Post by Duke2014 » July 27th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Tilly, where do you work?

I work at Duke in a Lab at the hospital during the summer. Perhaps we are close to each other?

On another note, what do you guys know about Gilbert-Addoms? I'm living there next year :)
~Duke2014
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 27th, 2010, 12:37 pm

We very much welcome you over here. Congratulations on your acceptance to Duke!!! Looking forward to your post and meeting you at Bruchgate. :)
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » July 27th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Welcome, and congratulations! :-h
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 27th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Welcome to CTN and to Duke. Enjoy your college years.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 27th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Duke2014 wrote:Tilly, where do you work?

I work at Duke in a Lab at the hospital during the summer. Perhaps we are close to each other?

On another note, what do you guys know about Gilbert-Addoms? I'm living there next year :)
Officially welcome! And again you're welcome.

When I was in school, eons ago, G-A was a girls dorm, as was most of East Campus. All that tells you is that G-A is old =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Tilly probably PM'd you already, but she too works in the Hospital. I think she's the CEO or COO :-o or something like that. Well, maybe she's the COO of her doctors anyway :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 27th, 2010, 3:14 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:When I was in school, eons ago, G-A was a girls dorm, as was most of East Campus. All that tells you is that G-A is old =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
It does not indicate, however, that Ozzie is old. :D
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 27th, 2010, 3:15 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:When I was in school, eons ago, G-A was a girls dorm, as was most of East Campus. All that tells you is that G-A is old =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
You are so kind! :D :D :D :D :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Welcome, and congrats on getting in! Join us at brunchgates!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 27th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Welcome, Duke2014, and congratulations on your acceptance to Duke!

Tell your dad about CTN. We'll even let him have his own username over here.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 27th, 2010, 3:33 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

When I was in school, eons ago, G-A was a girls dorm, as was most of East Campus. All that tells you is that G-A is old =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Tilly probably PM'd you already, but she too works in the Hospital. I think she's the CEO or COO :-o or something like that. Well, maybe she's the COO of her doctors anyway :D
Thirty years ago, G-A had a great eating establishment in its basement. It was known as the D-U, short for "Down Under." They had great specials on Thursday nights. I don't know if G-A is still open, but I'm certain they're not running those kinds of specials on Thursday nights, if you know what I mean. :beer:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2010, 3:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I'll bet a lot of the docs COO at her.

:)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2010, 3:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
You are so kind! :D :D :D :D :D
Yes, it does. I'm not that kind. But I am ALMOST that old (as Ozzie, that is, not GA)
bluebutton

Re: GA

Post by bluebutton » July 27th, 2010, 4:36 pm

I was in GA in 97 [OMG that sounds a lot longer ago than it feels]. At the time the down under was already gone although my FOCUS group did study sessions down there and there was at least one dance down there.

At that time, the GA vibe sort of revolved around 1) the fact that it was far from the food/the rest of the dorms on the main quad 2) that Southgate, our near neighbor, had a ridiculous number of AB Duke scholars that year -- I want to say like 10 out of the 15 in our class. Nevertheless, we were the largest dorm on East. So that was pretty sweet! I have no idea if more dorms have been built or expanded since then. The Russian FOCUS program (which may or may not still exist) was housed there that year and lent a bit to the character of the dorm.

Certainly, the dorm wasn't the center of anyone's universe -- most of the girls rushed a sorority, we had some athletes --I want to say baseball? -- at the same time, I've run into various GA-ers over the years and there is a bond because of that.

Anyways-- a huge congrats. :-BD :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-partydance: :happy-wavemulticolor:

I hope you have a good time. My unsolicited advice is to not double major and worry about your grades as little as possible. :twocents:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 27th, 2010, 5:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I'll bet a lot of the docs COO at her.

:)) =))
Aww shucks, thanks fellas. :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
I worship the Blue Devil!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 27th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Alas, it would appear that the 'Refugee' thread has been by-passed.
Oh well... :ymhug: Howdy!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 27th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Greetings and salutations! Welcome to our humble abode! :ymhug:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein