bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » July 10th, 2010, 9:09 pm

devildeac wrote:There's one of these in your future:

http://www.sierra30.com/#/charlie-fred-and-ken-s-ale

Mine, too =p~ ;) :D .
I'll be curious to se what you think of this one..I tried it earlier this week and thought it was ok..Not my favorite style and I liked the first in the series (fritz and Ken) better but still very enjoyable..
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 10th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Flying Dog's Old Scratch Amber Malt

Yeah. Got 6 of these tonight. On an empty stomach they can really twist ya up. 5.5ABV

Alarmingly uncarbonated. :D A fine looking 2 inch head at the top of the glass after pouring had completely disappeared 45 seconds later.

Absolutely no lacing on glass.

Very dry. I felt as if 1/2 cup of unused Crisco could come to good use, soaking the palette to re-moisturize.

A fun drink, however. After the forth bottle, I had the urge to run buck naked for 150 yards, across a dew-soaked mountain meadow, only to reach some authority figure on the other side, where I would commence to whip him about the ears with a blunt object.

Don't throw emptys for the dog. They won't chase them or return them. The cat will only sniff the mouth of the bottle.

These things is tasty! The neighborhood squirrels like it better than bird seed. They were the champs when it came to bottle chasing. But they have those little squirrel hands that aren't big enough to carry effectively. And, they don't play 'catch' very well.

Yellowjackets are very fond of this brew too. I was chased three times. Luckily, I had not stripped off yet.

This stuff was a lot of fun and refreshment to boot. I recommend it if you're the adventurous, very thirsty type.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 10th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Ommegang Zuur--Flanders Oud Bruin--another in their special release series. Was excited to try this one as its a style that I have very limited experience with. Corked and Caged 750. Pours a deep reddish brown with a modest head. Taste up front is a nice blend of sour and sweet cherries. Subtle sweet caramel malts come in next before finishing with some lingering sourness. Very enjoyable and a style that I liked to try more of..6% ABV.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 10th, 2010, 9:29 pm

captmojo wrote:Flying Dog's Old Scratch Amber Malt

Yeah. Got 6 of these tonight. On an empty stomach they can really twist ya up. 5.5ABV

Alarmingly uncarbonated. :D A fine looking 2 inch head at the top of the glass after pouring had completely disappeared 45 seconds later.

Very dry. I felt as if 1/2 cup of unused Crisco could come to good use, soaking the palette to re-moisturize.

A fun drink, however. After the forth bottle, I had the urge to run buck naked for 150 yards, across a dew-soaked mountain meadow, only to reach some authority figure on the other side, where I would commence to whip him about the ears with a blunt object.

Don't throw emptys for the dog. They won't chase them or return them. The cat will only sniff the mouth of the bottle.

These things is tasty! The neighborhood squirrels like it better than bird seed. They were the champs when it came to bottle chasing. But they have those little squirrel hands that aren't big enough to carry effectively. And, they don't play 'catch' very well.

Yellowjackets are very fond of this brew too. I was chased three times. Luckily, I had not stripped off yet.

This stuff was a lot of fun and refreshment to boot. I recommend it if you're the adventurous, very thirsty type.
Could be my favorite review in this thread :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 10th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Troegs Flying Mouflan--Barleywine. Pours a fairly deep coppery red. I tried this beer a few years back and wasn't overly impressed. I'm generally more of sweeter English style barleywines and this one was hoppy hot like fresh Bigfoot. Much different experience with this yesterday. Lots of sweet caramel malts up front with sweet dark fruits. The hops come in on the backside and finish fairly strong with lots of pine and lingering bitterness but balanced very well by the malts. Extremely smooth and easy to drink. Will be finishing off the bomber tonight. Might try to grab another one of these to cellar.. ABV of just over 9%
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2010, 9:39 pm

captmojo wrote: Don't throw emptys for the dog. They won't chase them or return them. The cat will only sniff the mouth of the bottle.
=)) =))
I'm a fan of Flying Dog, they are a dependable brewer with very few misfires (Raging Bitch being my one "meh").
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 9:48 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I got a nice phone call this morning from my favorite beer shopper, who was calling to report some nice tasty sounding finds at a great price.
Funny, I got a similar guy who calls me to talk about pastrami, pizza and cheese steaks! :D B-)
Hey, that was last weekend.

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 9:51 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I got a nice phone call this morning from my favorite beer shopper, who was calling to report some nice tasty sounding finds at a great price. DD will be able to taste before I will since I've got to wait until we meet again, but I'm looking forward to early reviews. From what I recall there are two porters (one smoked) and an oaked barleywine, which sounds really tasty. I believe he said the three were from Full Sail.
Nope, Clipper City Brewing. Very little Full Sail stuff makes it to the east coast :( .

1.http://www.hsbeer.com/below-decks-barre ... barleywine
2.http://www.hsbeer.com/letter-marque-hop-rye-porter
3.http://www.hsbeer.com/smoke-water-imper ... ked-porter

Two of each for you. The barleywine is the bourbon barrel aged, not the cabernet. It was also $7.50/bomber and the other two were $5.50 each. I have one of each for myself so your portion should be safe (I hope ;) ) until we get back to the coast later this month. :D
Nice finds..I've had the letter of marque but haven't seen (or even heard whispers of the other 2) up here. I'd love to find the bourbon barrel aged bw. That's the perfect style for me..
Tell me you are attending a Brunchgate this fall and I will go back to Whole Foods and buy one of each for you. To share, of course :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 9:53 pm

captmojo wrote:Flying Dog's Old Scratch Amber Malt

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 11th, 2010, 6:23 pm

His dad's Bud. B-) Still smooth and delicious! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 11th, 2010, 7:32 pm

My very favorite, now!
NSFW/ or many other places!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtdFRHQw ... re=related

Samuel L. Jackson, what a man!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2010, 9:03 am

Shameful. Coming up: Mama's Little Yella Pils and Dugana IPA, 9 months (or so) later.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Mama's Little Yella Pils-Oskar Blues Brewing

Not much better description than this:

Oskar Blues’ newest beer is an uncompromising, small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czech Republic famous. Unlike mass market “pilsners” diluted with corn & rice, Mama’s is built with 100% pale malt, German specialty malts, and Bavarian hops. While it’s rich with Czeched-out flavor, its gentle hopping (35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) make it a luxurious but low-dose (by Oskar Blues standards) refresher.

Light and refreshing with light caramel and floral aromas and flavors. A very pleasant session brew to be sipped with appetizers or non-spicy chicken or fish dishes. Enjoyable summer brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2010, 11:32 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:A bit of news:

Saw both Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout and Hercules IIPA in four packs yesterday for the first time. Great news for those who don't feel like taking down an entire bomber of those big beers in a single sitting.

Also, new Avery IPA Dugana was released yesterday. It's apparently a more sessionable version of the Maharaja. Will report once I try.
:whistle: :-w

Ok, I'm just as bad. I had one of these bombers over a couple nights about 8 months ago I guess and can't find a prior review, so here's one that has been aging for the last 8 months or so.

It's not really sessionable at 93 IBU and 8.5% ABV but it is kind of a "little brother" to the Maharaja. Bold and piney hop presence with a solid malt background. Avery says the hops are Chinook, Centennial and Columbus and the malts are dark aromatic and caramel. It is slightly funky or dank (yea, we've had that discussion before 8-| ) and would be great with curry or a spicy salsa topping on grilled chicken or fish. It is an IIPA. I think this is a bit softer and smoother than the 1st bomber I had earlier this year or late last year and could certainly recommend one purchasing a bomber for now and one for a late fall Brunchgate :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Virginia sampler:

Starting off:

Blue Mountain Rockfish Wheat-Afton

A fine starter beer for the sampler and the meal. A light golden-yellow filtered wheat ale that was clean, crisp and refreshing at 20 IBU and 5.4% ABV. Hints of orange, lemon and light caramel, pretty typical for this style with crystal, wheat and pale malts and probably Saaz or Czech hops. According to their web site, they have their own hop farm. I sipped this 4 ounce taster with our crab/shrimp and cheese dip appetizer and a generous hunk of sliced French baguette. Ymm...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Starr Hill seasonal-Charlottesville

I swear this is a ginger beer but it is not listed on their web site. This is a bit darker than a lager or the Blue Mountain hefeweizen but will never be confused with an amber or brown ale. Prominent fresh ginger smell and immediate taste with minimal bitterness or alcohol. I'd estimate 20 IBU and 5% ABV. Perhaps a bit of floral taste and aroma and very little caramel/malt taste but that's not bad. This taster was the transition from the appetizer to the shepherd's pie I had for dinner. I also found it to be very pleasant with my wife's fried goat cheese salad of mixed greens, nuts, berries and light balsalmic dressing. Ymm...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Legend Lager-Richmond

The local brewery's offering into the lighter brew world is a pale yellow minimally bitter and slightly malty beverage that has a bit of a floral bouquet and a minimal caramel taste. I'm not much of a lager fan but this was refreshing on a hot summer eve but was a bit overwhelmed by the shepherd's pie but paired nicely with my wife's aforementioned salad. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 and the ABV about 5%, about what I would expect from this style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Legend Brown Ale

Their most popular brew and understandably so. Medium brown color with minimal hop presence and tons of malt sweetness including toffee, caramel and roasted almonds. This was just about a perfect match with the shepherd's pie. A porter or stout would obviously be tasty, too. IBU about 20 and the ABV is probably about 5-6%. This finished off the sampler and finished off the meal. They had the Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout on draft and I was dying for a glass of it but went beer-hunting instead looking for Carytown Beer and Wine but could not find it :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( . Shoulda called ahead and found out their location/hours/etc but they had been in the same location for about a decade, IIRC, but their old shop is now a health club :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( . So, no beer traders/purchase for you, CB&B X( .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 19th, 2010, 8:13 am

devildeac wrote:So, no beer traders/purchase for you, CB&B X( .
X(
The brown ale sounds tasty, I don't think I've seen or heard of Legend.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2010, 8:48 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:So, no beer traders/purchase for you, CB&B X( .
X(
The brown ale sounds tasty, I don't think I've seen or heard of Legend.
I am not sure I have ever seen any of their beers in bottles either.