Zoubek and the draft

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Zoubek and the draft

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 18th, 2010, 7:29 pm

I'm pretty sure he'll be going to some team, whether as an undrafted free agent or drafted is the unknown. I'm thinking he'll get picked in the second round.
Here's a video interview.
http://crazietalk.net/blog1.php/2010/06 ... or-the-nba
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Zoubek and the draft

Post by lawgrad91 » June 18th, 2010, 10:02 pm

I think he'll go in the second round, as well. Tell me the Celtics couldn't have used him last night for some size and toughness with Kendrick Perkins out.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 18th, 2010, 10:28 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I think he'll go in the second round, as well. Tell me the Celtics couldn't have used him last night for some size and toughness with Kendrick Perkins out.
They sure didn't think Shelden was the answer.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 18th, 2010, 11:12 pm

I didn't understand their substitution pattern all night. Brian Scalabrine? It seemed to me Shelden and Marquis Daniels could've gone in and banged bodies with Pau, used up their fouls and kept him from getting any points inside. He was terrible at the foul line.
Iron Duke #1471997.
pinkbend
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by pinkbend » June 23rd, 2010, 10:22 am

NBA DRAFT: THURSDAY, 7 p.m., ESPN
Zoubek has NBA dream in his sights
By Robbi Pickeral and Ken Tysiac
robbi.pickeral@newsobserver.com and ktysiac@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Tuesday, Jun. 22, 2010

Duke's Brian Zoubek, at 7-foot-1 and 260 pounds, could be a second-round draft pick Thursday. TED RICHARDSON - trichard@newsobserver.com

Stronger and more confident as a senior, Zoubek became an emotional leader for the Blue Devils in their NCAA championship run.

A year ago, Duke center Brian Zoubek was aiming to stay healthy enough to help the Blue Devils make a long postseason run. A national championship later, he's hoping he has proved he can stay healthy enough to help an NBA team, as well.

"I would never have expected this," Zoubek told the Philadelphia Inquirer after working out at the New Jersey Nets training facility recently. "It's been an unbelievable year for me. I feel so blessed to be in this position, and to finally be able to show people what I thought I could do the whole time."

What he can do, at 7-foot-1 and 260 pounds, is rebound, block shots and play tough in the post - skills that, along with his size, could make him a second-round NBA draft pick on Thursday night.

The draft projections aren't as high, perhaps, as he might have hoped when he was rated the No.38 player in his high school recruiting class by Scout.com (ahead of college standouts such as Connecticut's Hasheem Thabeet, who went on to become the No.2 overall pick in last year's draft, and Notre Dame All-American Luke Harangody).

But the projections are a huge leap from last summer, when neither fans nor pro scouts knew quite what they would see out of Zoubek's senior season. The big man had played sparingly as a freshman, then foot surgeries before his sophomore and junior seasons limited his output those years, too.

But he stayed healthy in 2009-10, and slowly but surely, his stamina and then his confidence improved. So did his impact.

On Feb. 13 against Maryland, he recorded 16 points and a career-high 17 rebounds, sealing his place in the starting lineup for the rest of the season.

During the last nine games of the regular season (when Duke went 8-1) he averaged 6 points and 8 rebounds.

He finished his college career with his most impressive stretch, averaging 11.3 rebounds in his final five NCAA tournament games - including eight points and 10 rebounds during Duke's 61-59 victory against Butler in the championship showdown.

"Brian was a difference-maker for us," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "There's no way we win the national championship without Brian. With big guys - he's on that growth spurt. Not necessarily height wise, but with confidence. He knows the game. I think he'll do fine (in the NBA)."

So does another former Duke forward who knows a bit about the NBA.

"He has the length and he has tenacity now," said Elton Brand, who plays for the Philadelphia 76ers. "He can block shots. You saw in the championship game and the tournament, he can get to the offensive boards.

"You need those big, solid guys down there."

Jay Bilas, who is analyzing the draft for ESPN, predicts Zoubek will be chosen in the second round, citing his size and his play down the stretch at Duke.

Bilas also predicts Zoubek can have a long career - if he stays healthy.

"He knows who he is, and he knows the way he needs to play to be successful," Bilas said. "I think he can come into the NBA and be an effective backup big guy right away.

"And being an older player and one with the level of experience he's had, and having seen the ups and downs that he's seen, he's going to be valued at the next level."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/0 ... z0rfTVqaug
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 24th, 2010, 8:49 pm

I do not know how Duke can win the national championship, and yet our wonderful, amazingly talented, well-behaved, proven winners don't go first.

I do not understand the NBA.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 24th, 2010, 8:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:I do not know how Duke can win the national championship, and yet our wonderful, amazingly talented, well-behaved, proven winners don't go first.

And I do not understand how that Tarball Ed Davis gets picked in the draft ahead of any of our players who won the national championship.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I do not know how Duke can win the national championship, and yet our wonderful, amazingly talented, well-behaved, proven winners don't go first.

And I do not understand how that Tarball Ed Davis gets picked in the draft ahead of any of our players who won the national championship.
Good riddance. :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 24th, 2010, 10:15 pm

I'm still waiting for one of our guys to get picked. . .

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 24th, 2010, 11:42 pm

CathyCA wrote:I'm still waiting for one of our guys to get picked. . .
:-w
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 24th, 2010, 11:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm still waiting for one of our guys to get picked. . .
:-w
By the way..if they don't...don't consider it a bad thing. Even K himself has remarked that being undrafted can be better for them.
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » July 1st, 2010, 11:29 am

Zoubek to the Nets

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67678/20100 701/nets_sign_undrafted_rookies_uzoh_zoubek/
The New Jersey Nets have signed free agents Ben Uzoh and Brian Zoubek, Nets President Rod Thorn announced today.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » July 1st, 2010, 12:29 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Zoubek to the Nets

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67678/20100 701/nets_sign_undrafted_rookies_uzoh_zoubek/
The New Jersey Nets have signed free agents Ben Uzoh and Brian Zoubek, Nets President Rod Thorn announced today.
:dance:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 1st, 2010, 12:40 pm

gadzooks wrote:

:dance:
That's great news!!

Any word on JS or LT?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2010, 1:57 pm

Awesome. His almost "home" team.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 1st, 2010, 5:45 pm

Lavabe wrote: That's great news!!

Any word on JS or LT?
Scheyer is playing in the summer league for Miami, Lance is joining Zoubs on the Nets' summer team. Neither has a contract (yet).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Zoubek will be on TV tonight at 7. Game is on NBAtv. (I don't pay for the channel, and I'm able to watch the games, I watched Gerald Henderson play Hayward earlier today)