Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2010, 2:04 pm

I'll have the Green Flash Trippel for post #7000 please, Alex =p~ :D .

Trippel Belgian Style Ale

Rich pale malt flavors provide a solid base for zesty Styrian Golding and Czech Saaz hopping. Trappist ale yeast contributes the fruity, spicy profile of classic, monk-brewed, Belgian ales. Our Trippel is luscious, fiery, golden brew and a contemporary rendition of traditional Belgian Trippel.

ABV: 9.7% | IBU’s: 24

This was my Hoppy Beerthday bomber, split over 2 nights, of course. The above is from their web site and my impressions include the aroma and taste of banana, butter and pineapple with the slightest hint of cloves, all pretty typical for this style. The head is between that of lovely Belgian lace and the typical foam. I could have this as a pre-dinner brew with some light appetizers like bruschetta or a fruity cheese spread, with a lighter entree such as grilled fish with a fruity compote/chutney glaze or after dinner in a goblet with a plate of fresh fruit. Or by itself ;) . Also good with any banner-hanging celebration or multiple banner hoistings :D .

Respectfully and tastefully submitted,

devildeac

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 19th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Congrats!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2010, 2:33 pm

bluebeer wrote:Green Flash Imperial IPA--My second Green Flash in as many days and another very good beer. This is a very hoppy with just a hint of sweet malts for balance. Lots of pine and grapefruit. The finish is again dry and very bitter. If you like less balanced and hoppier double IPAs, definitely give this one try. Crisp and refreshing..
Retrieved this from the archives and bluebeer nails it once again. I had my 1st ever early last week but did not appreciate many piney notes. Everything else is on target with the mildly sweet malty balance (9.4% ABV) and almost brutally bitter start, mid-point and finish (101 IBU!!!). Great sipper with spicy/peppery foods. This was also a bomber divided over 2 nights.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 19th, 2010, 7:12 pm

His Dad's Bud. :beer: Thanks DD.

Crisp and clean, very refreshing taste. The original, It has aged well! In fact, I think I'll have another when I have my NY Strip is ready in about 30 minutes! :beer:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 20th, 2010, 8:26 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:His Dad's Bud. :beer:
If it was good enough for him...Hell yeah!

No thanks. I wouldn't care for one.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Heresy-Weyerbacher

Another entry in the trend of aging various fermented barley products in casks. This is their imperial stout aged in oak which, upon further tasting, formerly housed bourbon products. Pretty typical imperial stout features like nearly black, modest head and plentiful tastes of dark chocolate and a bit of rich expresso. The only complaint about this is that it is a bit thin for an imperial stout, both in body and ABV, registering only 8%. That's still hefty but most imperial stouts clock in at >9%. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60. The whiskey notes are faint in the aroma and don't appear early in the sipping but show up later on the palate. Some vanilla and oak/wood are also noted. Good as a dessert brew or with the usual suspects of brownies, chocolate cakes or cookies.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 21st, 2010, 8:34 pm

Aren't we supposed to burn heretics? :think:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2010, 8:57 pm

captmojo wrote:Aren't we supposed to burn heretics? :think:
No, you burn witches... :D
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 22nd, 2010, 8:24 am

devildeac wrote:
How do you know she's a witch?
sMiles
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » June 22nd, 2010, 9:48 am

Miles wrote:
devildeac wrote:
How do you know she's a witch?
she turned me into a newt..

I got better :D :D
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 23rd, 2010, 8:02 pm

There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.

Do they hurt? =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 23rd, 2010, 8:10 pm

captmojo wrote:There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
The dead ones weren't witches. :-?
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 23rd, 2010, 8:15 pm

Well...not anymore.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 23rd, 2010, 9:58 pm

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series Session 31: Single Hop ESB

Tonight's bomber. Yes, the whole bomber as I have been on call the last 2 nights and am on call again tomorrow so I am treating myself. The ABV is 5.8% and the IBU are 38 so I am thinking of this as a "session" bomber." :)) =)) Pretty traditional ESB with an dark amber color and plenty of imported English malts. I'm gonna guess some Crystal Otter malts and some caramel and pale malts, too. The most striking impression of this is the musty, earthy hop flavors and aromas and I type that in a very complimentary manner. This would probably be better as an autumn brew but I am tired of the high gravity ales for now and this would have been superb with my wife's home made chili tonight. Would make a nice beverage with stew, brisket, steaks and ribs, also. I'm ready for my 2nd serving now. :D =p~ A very solid choice at $6 for the 22 ounces.

And yes, CB&B, you will find this in your package this weekend ;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Seven Sisters-Highland Brewing

An abbey style ale that looks like an amber but with many more aromas and tastes. Double the amount of grain with Pilsner, Pale, Extra Special and Chocolate malts combined with Trappist yeast and Belgian dark candi sugar impart aromas of vanilla and brown sugar and tastes of the same. There's also a bit of caramel or butterscotch. Hallertau Hersbrucker and German select hops provide just a hint of bitterness with an IBU of 20. The ABV is 6.5%. Enjoy this with sammiches, 'cue, ribs, roasts and burgers. I just bought this at Total Wine and it was listed at $3.99 for the 6er so I couldn't resist. I was even more pleasantly surprised at the register when it rang up at $1.99. It has a date of 3/30/10 but this was just fine 3 months after its brewing date. I may go back for another 6er when I return to Raleigh :D . Hope CB&B enjoys his 1/2 of the 6er :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 26th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale-Stone Brewing

Very unique brew. Basically this is an imperial stout but is very complex. It pours the typical somewhat viscous onyx color with a 1-2 finger tan head. Probably the most prominent aroma is slightly burned coffee but a very bittersweet chocolate also sneaks into the nose. The tastes are multiple and I thought they included the above of espresso and dark chocolate but molasses and licorice also enter the fray. The IBU are 90 and the Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo hops do indeed make this as bitter as it is rated. ABV is 8.7% so I sipped on this one last PM as a nightcap to complete the evening. Round up your usual suspects of almost any chocolate dessert to pair with this or enjoy it with nothing else. I'll finish the bomber tonight and report back if the 2nd night's tasting is any different.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2010, 9:58 am

devildeac wrote:Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale-Stone Brewing

Very unique brew. Basically this is an imperial stout but is very complex. It pours the typical somewhat viscous onyx color with a 1-2 finger tan head. Probably the most prominent aroma is slightly burned coffee but a very bittersweet chocolate also sneaks into the nose. The tastes are multiple and I thought they included the above of espresso and dark chocolate but molasses and licorice also enter the fray. The IBU are 90 and the Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo hops do indeed make this as bitter as it is rated. ABV is 8.7% so I sipped on this one last PM as a nightcap to complete the evening. Round up your usual suspects of almost any chocolate dessert to pair with this or enjoy it with nothing else. I'll finish the bomber tonight and report back if the 2nd night's tasting is any different.
This is the bomber that I mentioned to you that I had in my fridge from your previous beer delivery. I enjoyed half while watching the soccer game, and will have the other half today. Not much to add to what you wrote, this was a Stone that I had never had before, but will look for again...it is more than just really good, it is a bit unique. I loved the amount of flavor for the lower ABV, meaning that while it's not quite a session brew, it's a bomber that can easily be enjoyed in one sitting. Great aroma, deep, burnt caramel coloring, great choice of hops to complement the roasted malts. :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2010, 10:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:Flying Dog Raging Bitch...Belgian IPA. Pours a nice amber though fairly thin looking for 8.3% ABV. Strong bitter hops up front with both pine and grapefruit. Decent malt balance that gives way to a yeasty and slightly funky finish. Really well done for this style with just the right blend of hops and yeast. Dangerously drinkable as its fairly light bodied with almost no hint of alcohol.
I have seen that but haven't pulled trigger but your review inspires me to look for a 4 pack or 6er of that and share with CB&B, my drug rep trader and my son early next month. Thanks! =p~
I bought a 6 pack once. Once. I don't know why, but it was just not one that I enjoyed as much as I hoped, given the brewer and the name of the beer. I'll be looking forward to DD's review, just to see which side of the tree he barks on.
Woof :D .

I think both you beer nuts have valid thoughts about this brew. I wonder whether the yeast makes the difference with this brew as it is just enough different than your typical IPA to be a bit musty/funky. I am not that big a Flying Dog fan but certainly glad I got the 6er of this last week as CB&B got 1 and I kept 5, drinking one last PM and using the other 4 as gifts/traders in the near future.

My vote: a draw. How's that for barking on both sides of the tree ;) :D :tease: ?

I do note that this is post #1998 in this thread and if bluebeer or CB&B have a
specialty they'd like to review for #2000, I'd welcome them with that milestone post. Heck, I'd like to read what rmd has been tasting, too :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2010, 11:00 pm

Imperial Brown Ale-Bison Brewing

A bit off-center organic ale. Lotsa chocolate malts and nutty, roasty flavors, including toffee and lightly roasted coffee. A bit more bite than I thought for a brown ale but not unpleasant. ABV is 7% and I'd guess the IBU to be about 30-40. Good pairing with your usual roasted beef such as brisket or stew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2010, 11:10 pm

Monk's Revenge-Terrapin Brewing Company

I think this is one of their best offerings yet, mostly because of the marriage of 2 different styles of ales and its variety of flavors. The esters of a triple with some cloves, bananas and dark fruits and also the knock your tongue off hops of an IIPA. There's a bit of pine and citrus on the palate here. If I were to pair this, I think it would be with spicy, peppery foods like curry or a mildly fiery salsa topping with some grilled fish. I enjoyed it plain and found all the aromas and flavors to be quite challenging to discern and pleasant to enjoy. I remember the ABV to be 9.6% and, IIRC from the web site, the IBU are a menacing 99 so it is NOT for the faint of palate.

Here's some more info:

Step back in time for this holier-than-thou union of two great brewing traditions that are worlds apart. Kudos to Friar Spike and Little John for marrying a classic Belgian Style Tripel and a new age American Double IPA.

Revenge is a BEER best served cold!

Annual Release: March

The high content alcohol of this beer make it perfect for cellaring…hide it away and pull one out for a special event 2-3 years later.

ABV: 9.8%

IBU’s: 99

O.G.: 19.7

FG:: 2.1

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Pilsner, Munich Lt., Special Aroma, Pale Crystal, Acidulated

Hops: Magnum, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe

Ymm, Beer thread post #2000 respectfully submitted by devildeac :D